Quantcast How many points are enough.

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

View Poll Results: How many points do you own ? No need to give your name.

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • 100 or less.

1 1.92%
  • 100 to 200

15 28.85%
  • 200 to 400

28 53.85%
  • 400 or more.

8 15.38%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    pogo Guest

Question How many points are enough.

My DW and I are trying to decide if we really want to join DVC. We try to vacation every year but we think we want to do more, like the F&W and maybe a pre-Christmas trip to enjoy the decorations.

It is just my DW and I in our middle to late 50's so a studio would be fine most of the time.

How many points do you have and do you use them every year ?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

DW and I are new to DVC. We are in a similar situation. We like to go twice a year for about 11 or 12 total nights. We think our points should work. If it doesn't over time, we can always add more.

Check the points tables you received on the tour, (if you took the tour) and figure out your average year.

Good luck with your decision!
    Ed aka Horizon93

"If we can dream it, then we can do it".

DVC owner as of July 07 at AKV, as of Oct 2010 at BWV

Just back from honeymoon at AKV Kidani, July 2013!

Next up...not sure yet, but going back soon! )

Post Thanks / Like

I think you can discount our points number - it's only 2 of us but we tend to stay in one beds (especially at OKW) and for 4-6 weeks a year. Now we are down to a probable once a year we don't need as many points and I have even rented some out this year. Banking and borrowing make it very flexible!
    Mikki
    INTERCOT staff - DVC, Characters, Collectibles and Games

2017 Feb WDW Festival of Art and hopefully winter sunshine
    2017 Aug Disneyland bound

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Because we paid cash for ours, we opted to start off with the minimum and build it up over the years.

We didn't really see the benefit in going into super-hock to buy a ton of points up-front. I'd rather save up and pay cash for them as we go along.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Most folks add on over the years. We have a little more than the minimum and have been able to do alot. We don't have enough vacation time to use a larger point package!
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

We bought 160. Both of us are in our forties with no children.

We arrived at the number by planning a theoretical year's worth of vacations using the points chart. We prefer to travel in the less than packed times of year.

First year we took three 4 day/3 night trips in studios Sunday-Wednesday and banked points for the next year.

The second year we will take four similar trips with two stays in one bedrooms and still bank a few points.

Ian's suggestion to save up and add-on incrementally would give you a chance to see what you really need or will use.
    Upcoming Trips:

March '11 Beach Club Villas
    July '11 Disney Institute Seminar-Beach Club
    Aug '11 Wonder to Alaska
    Nov '11 BLT

DVC Member Since 11/06

pogo Guest

Thanks for all the help.

We really want to do this but we want to make sure it is right.

I think it's all starting to become a little clearer that it would be right for us, even at our age.

Post Thanks / Like

We bought the minimum of 150 points (at the time) at SSR with the same idea as Ian. We are planning on adding on in the future.

We go to WDW once a year, usually for 8 nights. We are just over the 150 points this year but, with the extra 150 they gave us we just borrowed a few and banked the rest. We will probably do the same thing again next year and then add on more points in 2009.

Have fun deciding if DVC is right for you. We wish we would have done it years ago.
    DVC Members @ SSR
    19 Trips since 1996:
    Caribbean Beach Resort-2x's, Dixie Landings-2x, POFQ-2x's, POR-3x's All Star Movies-4x's, Pop-1x, Saratoga Springs-2x, BWV-1x, OKW-2x

Just got back: August 17th-22nd POR

mprewitt Guest

You can never have enough points...!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Because we paid cash for ours, we opted to start off with the minimum and build it up over the years.

We didn't really see the benefit in going into super-hock to buy a ton of points up-front. I'd rather save up and pay cash for them as we go along.
    Us too - except we bought 220 points since we based our numbers on large accommodations.

I agree Ian. We've never financed a vacation. There was no way my husband would have borrowed money for DVC. It took him nearly 10 years to commit as it was.

We've never not had enough points to make a vacation doable. I think the only way I'd buy more is if they were offered on the Monorail loop.
    ¨¨*:•

"Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy!"

Post Thanks / Like

How many points are enough?

I once saw the results of a survey that asked "how much money is enough?" The survey found that for every income level, the most popular answer was "twice what I make now!"

That said, we started with 150 points, and now have 350 .
    WDW Visitor since 1973, DVC member since 2000

pogo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post

And we are thinking the same thing. We do not want to finance.

Quote Originally Posted by PolyGirl40 View Post
    Us too - except we bought 220 points since we based our numbers on large accommodations.

I agree Ian. We've never financed a vacation. There was no way my husband would have borrowed money for DVC. It took him nearly 10 years to commit as it was.

We've never not had enough points to make a vacation doable. I think the only way I'd buy more is if they were offered on the Monorail loop.
    We are thinking we could enjoy DVC with the minimum also but we are thinking of buying resale at this time. We are still not sure of what resort though. We are leaning towards BCV or BWV if resale and SSR if we buy from Disney.

Quote Originally Posted by FiggyFan View Post
    How many points are enough?

I once saw the results of a survey that asked "how much money is enough?" The survey found that for every income level, the most popular answer was "twice what I make now!"

That said, we started with 150 points, and now have 350 .
    Do you mind me asking how many there are in your family ?

Thank you all for the help. This is one of the reasons I love this site.

Post Thanks / Like

I would go in the back door on this one! How long do you like to stay? For us we can't imagine staying over a week. My dad bought 200pts for my sister and I to share and we are banking 39 points this year and both of us are going (2 separate trips). A week (not prime time) @ ssr is 97pts for a studio. For us 200pts is just enough. If we wanted to bring friends etc we would need more.
    Next
    DD, DS @ AKV Dec 12 SSR 12-16

AKV Savannah 8/08
    ASMu my BD 4/08 w/ Angel & MrsSgtT
    SSR 10/07 BWV-12/06
    Pop-05 04 03 1st Nighters
    OKW-97 96 Poly- 89 87 86 CR:72
    Offsite:8xs FW:83 82 82 DL 67,68,71

Post Thanks / Like

We have 300 points.

I'd like to get up to 500 points. I don't think I can sell the idea of 200 more points to DW, however! ........
    Frank

DVC Owner
    BWV, BCV, SSR

Post Thanks / Like

We bought 200 and are making three trips this year.

But, my Dh would like to be at a total of 500!!
    Kristen and Ben
    Next - 8/7-15 @ OKW w/Kakn7294 & Taylor & Joline; 12/16 Disney Wonder&12/19 SSR; July '10 @ VWL w/Kakn7294 - Nursing School Graduation Party ; Aug '11 Disney Dream; F&WF '11
    DVC Owners @ SSR & AKV & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

We have 350 currently at SSR. We are a family of 6 though and must have a 2 bedroom every time. So our points work out to about one week of vacation for us a year. We are definitely planning to add on in the future
    Amanda, Mom of 4

ASMo Mar 2005
    Pop Sep 2006, Jan 2014, Jan 2016
    SSR Dec 2006
    Disney Magic Jan 2008, Mar 2009, Apr 2011
    OKW Jan 2009, June 2012, December 2017
    POFQ Jan 2012
    VWL Oct 2012
    AKV Jan 2013, June 2013, Aug 2015
    AOA July 2014
    All Star Sports Jan 2015

Post Thanks / Like

We originally purchased 150 points in March of 2005. We immediately booked a trip for September that year for 5 nights. The next year we took two trips and had to borrow points.

For us it was like once we bought in we started taking more trips, thus using more points. Late last year we added an additional 115 points on our contract. We like to stay in a one bedroom just for the extra space, so it was just better for us to add on.

In September this year, we are taking a 8 night trip in a two bedroom(DH, DS, DD, SIL and I) and a studio for MIL and FIL. We are already talking about a trip to Disneyland early next year.

We take more vacations now that we are DVC members.

Kristine----Mom to David and Kassandra
    Oct 2005 DVC Members SSR
    Jan 2006 SSR
    OKW Oct 31-Nov 6 2006 shhh its a secret
    OKW May 11-15 2007 Me Time
    OKW Sep-Oct 2007 Family X-mas Gift
    DCL Jan 2009 1st cruise (just DH and I)
    Next up Oct-Nov 2009 Land and Sea

pogo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MsMin View Post
    I would go in the back door on this one! How long do you like to stay? For us we can't imagine staying over a week. My dad bought 200pts for my sister and I to share and we are banking 39 points this year and both of us are going (2 separate trips). A week (not prime time) @ ssr is 97pts for a studio. For us 200pts is just enough. If we wanted to bring friends etc we would need more.
    We like to stay in April for a week and we'd also like to try a week in the fall as well.

Quote Originally Posted by tinktude View Post
    We take more vacations now that we are DVC members.
    And that's exactly why we are interested in buying DVC. We also know that we will want an extra trip or two during the year.

Post Thanks / Like

We own 210 pts, but bought an existing contract with 95 pts banked.

We are staying 5 nights next Feb in a Grand Villa at OKW with two other families. What they are pitching in for the rooms ($8 pt for 1/3 of the pts) will buy our APs next year plus some towards our maintenance fees. Plus we get to have friends and they go for cheap. We'll also go in June (a new use year for us) for a record long vacation for us, 9 nights! Gotta love the DVC!
    Wilderness Campgrounds ('77)
    Villas ('88)
    Off Site ('91)
    AK Lodge ('04)
    AS Sports ('05)
    AS Music (April '06)
    Pop (Sept. '06)
    OKW (Feb. '08)
    BCV/SSR (June '08)
    SSR (Nov. '08)
    AKV (Kidani Village)/BWV (June '09)

Post Thanks / Like

We go every year for 14 nights so when we bought in we purchased 250 points. 1 year later we bought another 50. I can see up buying up to 200 more in the future but, paying cash for them as we did for the extra 50 we bought. We like doing a 2 week trip in the summer and now we're hooked on MNSSHP and going every October for 7-10 days. Just can't get enough of Disney.
    Planned for 2015, SSR in June, BWV in July
    14 AKL & BCV
    13 WLV & BCV & SSR
    12 AKV, BCV, POFQ
    11 Akv, BCV, SSR
    10 AKV, BCV, WLV
    09 AKV, BCV,POFQ
    08 BWV, WL & BC
    07 OKW
    06 SSR, OKW, BC, PR & DVC
    05 AKL, CBR, WL & HARDROCK
    04 CS & DISNEYLAND