Quantcast Playground in the Parks? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

View Poll Results: Playground or not?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Love the playgrounds, wish they were in every park!

40 50.63%
  • Playground? Why do we need a playground? No Way!

39 49.37%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

We have been bringing our children to WDW for 12 years now. In my opinion the playgrounds should be at the resorts. It seems for some reason most people feel a need to take their DKs back to the resort during the day for a nap/swim anyway. Leave the prime park real estate for the majority of people to enjoy. A nice family ride would suit more people than a playground.
    Jul80 DLR, Dec75 FW, Sept91 offsite, Sept95 ASSp, June00 offsite, June01 ASMo, July02 WL, June03 ASMo, Oct03 POR, Poly, Aug04 Pop,ASMu, Oct04 ASSp, Sept05 CSR,Pop,CBR, Dec06 WL,Pop, Sept07 POP,POR, Dec07 POP,May08 POP, Sept08 CR,Sept09 POP,Aug10 CBR, Feb11 POP, July11 AKL, Nov12 POP, March13 offsite

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    TiggerRPh Guest

I don't go to WDW for my kids to play on a playground...a themed one...but still a play ground.

Personally, I think that they are a waste of time and space.

Post Thanks / Like

It depends. I think if they are going to put a playground in the parks, they need it to be a full scale attraction, like HISTK and Tom Sawyer island. I do however hate the fact that in the MK they filled in the lagoon to put a little playground in there. They could've used that space for anything and they put a playground in it. I just think if they are going to put a playground in, they need to go all the way with it.
    A llama? He's supposed to be dead!

(starting last year...)
    Feb 08- 4 days at Saratoga Springs
    Apr 08- 6 days at Old Key West
    July 08- 10 days at Beach Club Villas
    Christmas 08- 6 days at Beach Club Villas
    April 09- 2 days at Universal Studios Orlando

Post Thanks / Like

When my DD was small enough to use the playgrounds, it was one of her favorite things to do. I agree with others who have said that it is a great way to burn off energy after waiting in lines, sitting on rides, standing/sitting watching parades.

In response to those who think they would rather use the space for more family friendly rides... Not everyone enjoys the same type of rides. Some people like thrill rides, some like rides where they get wet, some like the action shows, some like the singing/dancing shows, ect. The point is, there should be something for everyone and the playgrounds are for the little ones.
    Next up - January '14 - WL

March '13 - POR; May '12 - AKL; Oct. '12 - GF; Feb '11 - SSR; Oct '10 - BC; Feb '09 - Poly; Feb '08 - WL; Feb '06 - POR; April '04 - ASM; Nov '02 - POR; Jan '00 - CSR; Feb '98 - POR; Oct '96 - CBR; Sept '94 - BC

Post Thanks / Like

While I have to agree that the ample space from 20k shouldn't have been used for the Pooh play ground, I do however agree with having the play grounds in the parks.

I believe there should be at least one in every park.

From someone who didn't have the luxury of staying on property the first time I took my 3 girls down there, the play grounds were our break in the middle of the day. We couldn't go back to where we were staying for a mid-day break and to be honest I'd venture to say that it's not the majority of people in the parks that stay at the on site properties...I think they're pretty close to 50/50.

I thought the play grounds were a blessing when my kids were young enough to use them. Not only that but I have some of the greatest pictures of them jumping on the frogs and playing around. Disney after all is a family destination, for the whole family.

There are a lot of things little children (or to be honest just smaller older children) can't do and waiting in line is not the greatest fun for kids. People all to often complain about "rude" children, etc. If people slowed down more and enjoyed things like these playgrounds and water areas within the parks the kids wouldn't mind waiting in line so much!

Even though my girls are much too big to use them now we still stop at them. My 13 year old LOVES Pooh and always has to stop at her thinking spot...need to sit on a honey pot. She loves it. They'd still hang out there for 20 minutes if I'd let them!

Keep 'em for the next bunch of little kids...they're great!
    sláinte!

Disney Trips:
    Not enough room to list them all!!

Favorite resort: Fort Wilderness

Next Trip:
    October 2015

Last Trip:
    April 2015

Post Thanks / Like

We never spent time in playground area with our kids. They wanted to ride rides.
    WDW '71-'81(numerous)
    Yearly '98 - '08
    Last Trip July 2014

Next Trip ???
    Keep to the code... If you fall behind, you get left behind.

Post Thanks / Like

I voted for the playgrounds. I might have voted differently before I took my kids to WDW. They love the rides, but they sure love the playgrounds too. It is an opportunity for them to move around a bit, in contrast to standing in line or sitting on a ride. I think it helps all of our peace for them to have a little bit of time to get their wiggles out. They are looking forward to the rides and the playground when we go back in July. (I can't wait to be back.)
    Next trip - August 2008 - Poly (yoohoo!)
    July 2007 - CR
    July 2006 - CR
    Several off-site trips pre 2006

Post Thanks / Like

We love the playgrounds! It's so important for the kids to be able to run and blow off steam after so much waiting. Yes, we do usually have to drag them out of the playground with a tantrum or two, but it's worth it for them to let out a bit of pent up energy.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm surprised at the comments that the playgrounds aren't for everyone. Maybe this only applies to the highly-themed playgrounds, but every time we've gone (despite having no kids!) we always hang around HISTK and Tom Sawyer Island. They're great places to take a break and get funny pictures.

I do agree that the random ones should be more completely thought out; the teeny ones at MK are a little...odd...considering the high level of "show" that is normally present there.
    şoş...E. M....şoş

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey91 View Post

I can't see paying to be in a theme park to let my kids play on a slide, etc. when I can do that at home.
    Exactly what I think!
    Sherry

10 earlier times...
    1-08 ASMo ( MOM AND KIDS FOR 13 DAYS!!!)
    11-08 POP (Mom and Kids for 14 days!!!)
    4-21-10 thru 4-28-10 Pop Century (WE'RE GOING BACK!!!!!)
    8-13 thru 8-19-11 ASMo & 8-19 thru 8-28-11 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by snifflesmcg View Post
    Playgrounds are great........for the resort. Keep them out of the parks please.
    Exactly how I feel.

Come on ... let's face it ... putting playgrounds in the parks is nothing more than a really cheap way to take up some space, boost the list of "attractions", and save a few bucks. Playgrounds don't belong in Disney theme parks.

The resorts? Sure ... no problem ... but not somewhere where I'm paying $75 a day to get in. I want something more.
    Ian şOş
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ş0ş

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I actually disagree with Ian....My world is crushed.....

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceship Tigger View Post
    Having a toddler or youg child makes you realize how important the playgrounds are in the parks. They can't do a lot of things and end up sitting in their strollers much of the trip. Even in rides that they can go on they end up sitting. The playgrounds are great to burn off energy and to have something for them to do while other family members may ride another ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by BashfulMom View Post
    I can see where the playgrounds would be a nice distraction for families with children that are to little to ride some of the attractions.
    I think these two posts say it all. Children under 2 are probably in a stroller or being held from the moment they leave the resort until they return to the resort. If you assum people with young kids are taking the mid-day-nap-rule, that could mean 4 to 6 hours of "confinement" for the kids. I know I would not like to be confined that long. I hate driving for longer than 2 hours with out a break or leg stretch.

Also, think about his for a moment, it may sound crazy .....
    If we are to get rid of the playgounds because they are not "whole family friendly" (in other words those over 5 cannot use them), then what about those "big rides" that exist that are not "whole family friendly", like Space Mountain. Children under a sprecific cannot ride. Should we get rid of those? Heck no, that would be crazy.

Just because I do not use something does not mean it should be removed. The question should be, do people use them? The answer is most definitely yes, all you have to do is look.
    1970-1990 Disneyland - 4 Day Trips
    1980-2001 WDW - 6 Day Trips
    2007 Polynesian (First Resort Stay!)
    2008 Polynesian - planning

GO HOKIES!

All my thoughts and prayers...
    Rest in Peace fellow Hokies
    04-16-2007

LAFITTE, LA, UNITED STATES( 674 MILES AWAY)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RAIDER View Post
    No
    i would rather have that space for an attraction that all would use ... As basically WDW is a playground anyway
    i agree, its a waste of space, and i have 2 young children and i dont spend thousands of dollars so my kids can play on a 6 foot slide
    Jimmy

Co-Host: The Disney Nerds Podcast

1326 miles from the most magical place on earth
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Playground in the parks

My last visit was this past April during the Epcot Flower and Garden Fesitval which was beautiful. Epoct had mini playgrounds set up throughout the park and I think it was great! Disney did a fantastic job with the parks and the kids had a great time. My son is 4 and my daughter is 10 , and even she enjoyed some of the parks.

I think they should have more of them for the little ones!
    July'05 - Offsite
    July '06 - AKl
    April '07 - offsite
    July 08 ~ AKV!
    April 09 - SSR 1st time as DVC Member!
    July 09 - AKL-Kadani Village/SSR...
    Dec.'09- AKV
    May '10- Beach Club
    June '11- AKL
    July '13- AKL
    Feb 14 - Wilderness Lodge/Bay Lake Towers
    October 15-AKL

Post Thanks / Like

I think the playground are good. I like them because when the kids have energy to burn, and the adults need to sit for a few minutes, they are a good play to go.

Brandy, Elizabeth and Rebecca

Next Visit to Disney World June 2009

Post Thanks / Like

I voted for the playgrounds. My DD - now 8 - loves the playgrounds - especially Honey I Shrunk the Kids and the Boneyard.

I go to Disney primarily FOR my daughter - not for myself (okay, some of those lovely dinners in Epcot are for me).

Given what Disney charges to get in, a lot of people get sucked into the notion of "getting their money's worth" means riding all the rides etc. It's my opinion that at Disney, the house ALWAYS wins and the way I get my money's worth is to enjoy myself or better yet, for my daughter to enjoy herself.

And that means, mom isn't dragging her through the park like we are on a mission to get to the next thing. When all is said and done, DD8 would rather play at the Boneyard for an hour than just about anything else. Why rush her enjoyment because I find more "monetary value" in a ride or attraction.

DD8 Loves the play grounds and that's a big part of the day.

Post Thanks / Like

I think they are ridiculous
    It's nice to have them at the resorts but to take out the family activities is irritating
    I was not very old when Ariels Grotto was removed for the Winnie the Pooh Playground and I still get annoyed thinking about it....
    Brittany

I Love Disney

been 23 times 24th is coming soon!!:)

Post Thanks / Like

DS1 was tall enough to do most of the rides by the time he was 4, never set foot in a play area only wanted to do the rides.

DS2 was my special needs kid, never went on a ride until he was 10, spent massive amounts of time in the playgrounds. We never forced the issue with him.

Now they're 20 and 23 and still love trips to Disney, we only spend a few hours a day in the parks and the rest of the time they use the gyms and usually some type of water sport.

Point is I don't think any 2 families travel the same way but I would not begrudge another person the chance to do what they like just because I didn't.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Catwillow View Post
    .....I think the playgrounds are a great spot for the kids to well....be kids. You know, run --jump--climb on things--interact with other kids. It's got to be hard having to stand in line for this and that ALL day, keep up with mom, dad,....

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Riley Taylor's Mom View Post
    I think they are a great idea.

My children love the Honey I Shrunk The Kids one at MGM. They would stay at that one for hours if I let them.b The small one at Splash is great too. Great thinking for the kids that are not tall enough to ride. Much better then just sitting on a bench.

I am all for new attractions, I just think the playgrounds are a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    ....I still love them and voted in favor. It gives families with little ones a place to go to let the kids move around and blow off some steam, which builds up with all that waiting in lines in strollers. I think it keeps everyone happier in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    My family does not utilize the playgrounds anymore, but they are definitely a worthwhile part of any theme park.

When the older kids rode Dinosaur, my sister would run around The Boneyard. Nobody should make the playgrounds a major part of an itinerary, but I have no problem with their existence.

Quote Originally Posted by StillSimbaGirl View Post
    I voted for the playgrounds. My DD - now 8 - loves the playgrounds - especially Honey I Shrunk the Kids and the Boneyard.

I go to Disney primarily FOR my daughter - not for myself (okay, some of those lovely dinners in Epcot are for me).

Given what Disney charges to get in, a lot of people get sucked into the notion of "getting their money's worth" means riding all the rides etc. It's my opinion that at Disney, the house ALWAYS wins and the way I get my money's worth is to enjoy myself or better yet, for my daughter to enjoy herself.

And that means, mom isn't dragging her through the park like we are on a mission to get to the next thing. When all is said and done, DD8 would rather play at the Boneyard for an hour than just about anything else. Why rush her enjoyment because I find more "monetary value" in a ride or attraction.

DD8 Loves the play grounds and that's a big part of the day.
    wholeheartedly agree with this comment.

We get so much enjoyment out of seeing our kids be happy with happy noises. It is just joy even if it is on a playground at Disney. Miss the one they had in Norway with the Viking Ship. Our boys loved this place along with HISTK.
    Pally

Past Trips

Pop- Dec 2015
    Portofino Bay-(Club)Universal Dec, 2015
    Pop - Oct 2012
    Pop- Aug/Sept 2009
    Wilderness Lodge - Dec. 2006
    Portofino Bay-(Club)-Universal- Dec 2006
    Sheraton Vistana Villages- May 2003
    Sheraton Vistana Villages- April 2002
    Off-site-May 1989-

Share This Thread On Social Media: