Quantcast Tidbits June 2007 - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Lots of good stuff in Jason's update!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by WDWacky View Post
    Interesting about Jungle Cruise ... I read a rumor not long ago that said there's a proposal out there to re-theme all of Adventureland to a Pirates concept.

This would involve removing the treehouse and replacing it with a walk-through of the Black Pearl, revamping the Tiki Room to have a pirate theme, and possibly removing or re-theming the Magic Carpets of Aladdin.

Left out of this rumor was what would happen to the Jungle Cruise. I wonder if this refurb is related.
    I read the same thing... and my own personal belief is that the entire Adventureland area, including the Jungle Cruise, will be revamped to this pirate theme in response to the recent announcement of a Harry Potter themed land at IoA. I could do with or without the spinner, although I like the fact that it alleviates some crowds from the other 2 spinners.

Quote Originally Posted by BrerSchultzy View Post
    So...interesting tidbit about the buses. I have a question about the tracking of guests though...the report says that guests will insert their room keys or park entrance medium into the turnstile so that the computer will know how many guests are waiting...right?

So, will they be enforcing the "Transportation for Resort Guests Only" rule? It seems to me the only choice they'll have (from a PR standpoint) is to change the rule or enforce it. Currently, they offer it as a perk to staying on property, but it is so difficult to enforce. But if it is easy to enforce (with these kiosks), there's no way they can list that as a perk if they don't enforce it.

Just curious.
    I'm not quite sure where you're going with this. Presumably this technology is to be used at the resorts. If you're at a bus-stop at a resort then you must be staying there because the resorts are all gated and you have to get past security to get in. Also, they were talking about a kiosk, and not a turnstile.

Here's the scenario that they're trying avoid with this technology - you want to go to the MK. You get to the bus stop and watch 2 Epcot busses go by and maybe 1 family gets on each Epcot bus. Then the MK bus comes by and 5 families of 4 get on and you still have 3 bus stops to go! The idea is for the transportation people to have real-time information on who wants to go where and how many so resources can be allocated properly.

If this actually works - I think this will be a tremendous enhancement to the transportation system. You already have to spend 10-30 minutes on a bus once you get on it, so the only thing to do is to reduce the amount of wait time.

This is a step in the right direction as far as I'm concerned.
    Matt

-Married: Awesome Wife and 2 Great Boys; Civil Engineer; University of Michigan Alumnus/Fan
    -Walt Disney World fanatic since 1971!
    -DVC (OKW) Member since 1996
    -Next Vacation: ????

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjstaceyuofm View Post

I'm not quite sure where you're going with this. Presumably this technology is to be used at the resorts. If you're at a bus-stop at a resort then you must be staying there because the resorts are all gated and you have to get past security to get in. Also, they were talking about a kiosk, and not a turnstile.

Here's the scenario that they're trying avoid with this technology - you want to go to the MK. You get to the bus stop and watch 2 Epcot busses go by and maybe 1 family gets on each Epcot bus. Then the MK bus comes by and 5 families of 4 get on and you still have 3 bus stops to go! The idea is for the transportation people to have real-time information on who wants to go where and how many so resources can be allocated properly.

If this actually works - I think this will be a tremendous enhancement to the transportation system. You already have to spend 10-30 minutes on a bus once you get on it, so the only thing to do is to reduce the amount of wait time.

This is a step in the right direction as far as I'm concerned.
    I agree...if this is ONLY at the resorts, then you're correct. But the post says nothing about this being "Resort Only".

Don't get me wrong...as someone who only stays on property, I personally have no problem if they do enforce the "Resort Guests Only" rule. But I imagine it will cause a HUGE problem with others.

Now, I may be over-reading the info. Figment's post only says that guests can insert their card into a kiosk when entering the bus station. Which may mean it is a voluntary thing. But I can see Resort Guests saying "You told me that Disney Transportation was for Resort Guests only, and you have the technology to enforce it (since they're inserting these kiosks), so you better do it, or I'm asking for that line on my bill to be removed".
    Steve

Ohana means family....
    Schultzy means crazy family!

Last Trip: November 2015 At POP

Next Trip: May 2017 at POP...again. Unless the FP+ thing isn't worked out. Then we'll go to Dollywood. Or just stay home and look at pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

**Updated**

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Huh ... that STII rumor didn't take long to gather legs, did it? We just saw that pop up a few days ago and here it is now near confirmed.

Personally, I hope it's something a lot more sophisticated technology wise as opposed to just popping a new film into the existing outdated platform.

Guests have come to expect A LOT more from motion sims these days with the advent of attractions like Soarin' and Mission Space. The same old flat screen, dull as paint sim they have now isn't going to cut it, IMO. Hopefully, they have something more up their sleeves.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WDWacky View Post
    Huh ... that STII rumor didn't take long to gather legs, did it? We just saw that pop up a few days ago and here it is now near confirmed.

Personally, I hope it's something a lot more sophisticated technology wise as opposed to just popping a new film into the existing outdated platform.

Guests have come to expect A LOT more from motion sims these days with the advent of attractions like Soarin' and Mission Space. The same old flat screen, dull as paint sim they have now isn't going to cut it, IMO. Hopefully, they have something more up their sleeves.

Well if George lucas' direction in the last 10 years is any sign, I'd imagine they will *at least* replace the screen in the cockpit with HD screens or something. Something DIGITAL.
    Stephane Morrell

[B]"Here we see Schweitzer Falls, named after the famous scientist Albert Falls"

Next Trip March 2008 - AKV/BCV split stay

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Figment! View Post

May the Force be with Two?

6/5/07 Anthony Daniels (of C-3P0 fame) may have leaked future attraction plans at a recent Adventure Con comic book convention. During a Q&A session he reportedly stated that he has recently completed filming portions of a new film for the Star Tours attraction at the Disney-MGM Studios. While he did not reportedly go into further detail about the film itself, he did reportedly state the new film is planned to be added to the attraction in Late 2007.
    This sounds FANTASTIC, if true!

The report I read quoted Daniels as saying "he just got finished filming the new digitalized upgrade for the ride", which almost sounds like a re-do of the film for digital, but then that's just my interpretation. Hopefully, it's a real upgrade of the ride and film.

I wonder though, will they keep one or two of the old "classic" versions around, for those who want a different experience/trip.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the updates.
    Vince
    aka. Vizsla

INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous and Disney Vacation Club

DVC Member 10/11/04

Post Thanks / Like

Great updates as usual!!

Thanks!!

-- Dawn

2002 ASMo
    2003 ASMo
    2005 Condo Offsite
    Jan 06 Boardwalk
    Oct 06 Orlando World Center Marriott
    Oct 07 Condo Offsite
    Jan 09 - It's my birthday!! Coronado Springs
    Nov 10 Long weekend offsite, 2 days
    Sept 2011 Port Orleans Riverside
    May 2012 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jason! That's some good stuff to look forward to, although if all buses go with "canned" audio, I'll miss some of the impromptu comedy club routines put on by certain CM bus drivers...
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gah!

I really hope that "Pirateland" rumor is not true. That plan would effectively destroy Adventureland. Disney is not thinking very far ahead by pushing all of the Pirate stuff. It could prove to be a fad that goes away once the end of the trilogy is years behind us...

As for Star Tours, considering Lucas' current push to keep SW going beyond the films (an animated series in a year; a live action one a year or two later), the update finally happening makes sense. The update happening in the midst of the new trilogy being made would probably not have happened because Lucasfilm's resources were all aimed at the movies. I for one, hope the ride's still in the classic trilogy timeframe. Though, no matter what, I kind of hate to see the old ride get replaced. I still love it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jmmc View Post
    I really hope that "Pirateland" rumor is not true. That plan would effectively destroy Adventureland. Disney is not thinking very far ahead by pushing all of the Pirate stuff. It could prove to be a fad that goes away once the end of the trilogy is years behind us...

As for Star Tours, considering Lucas' current push to keep SW going beyond the films (an animated series in a year; a live action one a year or two later), the update finally happening makes sense. The update happening in the midst of the new trilogy being made would probably not have happened because Lucasfilm's resources were all aimed at the movies. I for one, hope the ride's still in the classic trilogy timeframe. Though, no matter what, I kind of hate to see the old ride get replaced. I still love it!

I agree about Pirateland. BUT it would be cool to see a Pirate-based water park get built though!
    Stephane Morrell

[B]"Here we see Schweitzer Falls, named after the famous scientist Albert Falls"

Next Trip March 2008 - AKV/BCV split stay

Post Thanks / Like

Now...does Mr. Daniels little slip-up refer to a revamping of the current Star Tours, or does it substantiate the old rumor of a completely new Pod Racer type ride? (Thanks to my dad, a lurker for reminding me about that)
    Steve

Ohana means family....

Next Trip: May 2017 at POP...again. Unless the FP+ thing isn't worked out. Then we'll go to Dollywood. Or just stay home and look at pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xipetotec View Post
    I agree about Pirateland. BUT it would be cool to see a Pirate-based water park get built though!
    I would love to see a pirate water park too, but I don't think changing Adventureland to a Pirateland would be a "fad" type thing. Sometimes the different mediums serve to keep things out front for the public without ruining it. Look at other rides/attractions in the park that help proliferate the memory of a movie such as pooh, peter pan, dumbo, mad-hatter tea party, swiss family robinson tree house, etc....

I think a switch to a pirate theme - if done right - having such a strong movie/story behind it, could last a long time without feeling like it was done to take advantage of a fad...
    Matt

-Married: Awesome Wife and 2 Great Boys; Civil Engineer; University of Michigan Alumnus/Fan
    -Walt Disney World fanatic since 1971!
    -DVC (OKW) Member since 1996
    -Next Vacation: ????

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have a problem with some Pirates movie stuff becoming part of the parks. I like the movies. I just don't want them to take over.

Post Thanks / Like

Hasn't the rule on the buses being just for resort guests been gone for a while?

I remember when they actually LOOKED at your Key To The World cards!

I don't see anything that says you can't take the buses to resorts, even if you aren't resort guests.

And they have made it harder for people to park for free and ride to the parks.... so thats not even a matter.

The kiosks... I don't know how they'll work. I mean, they buses are already on a schedule, and baring any traffic jams, they are usually pretty regular. I can see this being useful in early mornings and evenings. Otherwise, I think it will give people peace of mind in thinking, "Someone knows I'm waiting here." I mean, what will be a cut off... 10 people waiting for a bus? Is that too few? With this system, are buses just waiting for a destination, or are they going to run as usual, except w/a few "pool" buses going to where there's a great need? They already take away from Peter to pay John sometimes... you know.. "You going to OKW? Ok, we have reports of a full stop at French Quarter. Can you pick up some guests?" They already do that, I hope this doesn't cause more of that.

I don't know how I like this system. I know they used to have phones at few stops, but they never worked. We waited over 45 min for a bus at MK, and when I went over and told them at the dispatch desk, they said that 45 min is in the window! Um.. no... do you really thin waiting 45 min was appropriate? So, after they saw were we came from and saw a FULL stop, they called a waiting bus over there. I watched them tell a driver, a driver got in the bus, and all of a sudden, we had a bus.

I just don't know how well it will work

Plus, I hope they don't get rid of my LaL tile!!!
    Morgan- DVC, AP, Perfect Princess, Married at Disney
    Off-site * POFQ * ASMu * POR * FW * BWI/V * Dolphin * AKL-Jambo/Kidani * WL * ASSp * Swan * POP * CBR * OKW * CSR * ASMo * BLT * SSR * AoA * DCL-Platinum * DLParis * DLR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Interesting about Jungle Cruise ... I read a rumor not long ago that said there's a proposal out there to re-theme all of Adventureland to a Pirates concept.

This would involve removing the treehouse and replacing it with a walk-through of the Black Pearl, revamping the Tiki Room to have a pirate theme, and possibly removing or re-theming the Magic Carpets of Aladdin.

Left out of this rumor was what would happen to the Jungle Cruise. I wonder if this refurb is related.
    Wow. That's a spicy rumor. Where/when did you hear that??

They'll probably make the magic carpets pirate ships and have the Krakken spit water at the riders..
    Many, many visits since 1973....

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, 3,808.63 KM from the Magic Kingdom!
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Jason!

That is a lot of information to digest, but the most exciting news in that whole spiel is the fact that there might be a new Star Tours film. I hope this is true. I like the old one, but it's only good once a visti. if there were two, I'd go again and again to see the new one, and compare to the old one.
    Walt was ½ Canadian!

DL, Aug 97; DL, Jul 01; DL, Aug 05; DL, Jan 06; WDW, Oct 06; DL, Dec 06; WDW, Nov 07; DL, Dec 07; DL, Jun 08; DL, Feb 09; DLP, Apr 09; DL, Sep 09; TDL, Oct 09; DL, Jun 10; WDW, Oct, 10; WDW, May, 13; WDW, Sep 14; HKDL, Sep 15, WDW, Mar 17; WDW Jan 19.

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

**Updated**

lockedoutlogic Guest

Well if George lucas' direction in the last 10 years is any sign, I'd imagine they will *at least* replace the screen in the cockpit with HD screens or something. Something DIGITAL.
    Yeah...it will probably be in 4-D.....

But the film itself will probably have unresolved, dead end, storyline teasers and the dialogue will be choppy and disjointed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Figment! View Post
    An Avenue Advent

6/13/07 A new section may be debuting at the Disney-MGM Studios when Toy Story Mania opens. While the intent of the project is unclear paper work has recently been filed for a construction project titled "Disney's MGM Studios - Pixar Studios" in the vicinity of the current Toy Story Mania project in the Mickey Avenue section of the park. While project names have occasionally proven to be red herrings in the past (and the name is somewhat non-sequitur with the current park nomenclature), this paper work has caused some speculation that the current Mickey Avenue section may become "Pixar Studios" when Toy Story Mania opens.

So the plot thickens.....
    Steve

Ohana means family....

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: