Quantcast Wearing ponchos on water rides???

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wearing ponchos on water rides???

I have an odd question.....
    When you wear a poncho on a water ride, how do you keep your shorts from getting wet???
    I can see how it prevents your shirt from getting wet, but doesn't the water splash on/under the seat and soak your shorts??

I love water rides but do NOT love walking around sloshing in my shoes and having shorts chafe.......so when i read that people wore their ponchos I wanted to figure out how it works so we can try it!
    Liz
    March 2006-POP!
    September 2007-POP!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Staying dry

As far as your seat/shorts, make sure you 'sit' on your poncho. Act as if you are straightening a dress to sit down. This can be tricky if your poncho is short.

Another thing you have to be careful with is the water going down the hole around your neck, so if you want to try to keep 'dry' just as you go over/through the water, grab the collar of your poncho close.

Your shoes...yeah, these are going to get wet.

What we usually do is plan on hitting the water rides right before we go to the hotel pool or one of the water parks. We wear our swimming suits under our t-shirts/shorts and that way you are ready for the pool .

Bottom line, water rides are supposed to be wet and fun. Usually during the 'winter' months, they do turn down the amount of water you 'hit' with so the ponchos really work during the winter months. But I say, have fun, get wet and laugh!

Have a magical time and enjoy your trip,
    Liz
    "Happiness is a state of mind." Walt Disney
    '76 1st Trip
    09/97 Honeymoon PO
    09/98 PO
    09/99 Wilderness
    12/99-01/00 Cruise/Contemporary
    09/00 Cruise
    12/00/01/01 GF
    09/14/01 Disneyland
    12/01 AKL
    09/02 AKL
    12/02 AKL
    09/03 Disneyland
    01/04 Cruise/YC(Pre) & AKL (Post)
    01/05 BC

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ponch-Nos

A poncho can keep some of the water off of you but if you are "lucky" enough to catch a major dousing it will be like wearing a poncho in a swimming pool.

We always wait 'til we're out of the loading station then we quickly stash our shoes and socks in the plastic covered area in the center of the "boat".

Once, we were going through our "strip and stash" routine and a couple sitting across from us tried to ask, in limited English, "Why...??" and I pointed 30 yards ahead at a waterfall. Their eyes got big and they stripped to modesty minimum ins seconds. No sooner than they secured their stuff when, "Boom!" they got doused with a giant wave. They laughed and pointed at the plastic gear stash area and gave us a big thumbs up. When my wife and I determined we approaching the end of the ride we began quickly gathering our staff and "redressing". The foreign couple beside us did exactly the same.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with the others. I always look at it as a nice way to cool off after all that walking and sitting around in the sun. Maybe you can pack a pair of flip flops to wear just for the water rides and switch 'em out once you're off. It's worth it, IMO, to enjoy the water ride...water and all!

June '97 Offsite

July '99 Contemporary Resort
    Sept. '11 Off-Site: First Family Trip with our kids
    May '12 Pop Century: Trip with my girls
    February '15 AoA plan in the works for the family
    Mom to DDs 9/05 and 5/08 and DSs 3/10 and 1/13

Post Thanks / Like

It also depends on the ride. Kali River Rapids is the only ride in which you are likely to get soaked. We have solved that problem by taking big plastic trash bags, turning them upside down and punching holes for our heads and arms. They keep us dry due to their size. Afterwards you just give them to someone else in line. We just make sure to go early so we're not lugging around trash bags all day.
    30+ trips; DCV owner at Beach Club Villas; 4 Disney cruises; 2 trips to Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

I only went on Kali once, and didn't like it. It was short, it was a sweltering hot day (always seems to be that way for us in AK, lol) the ride seemed too short, and we didn't get wet. I have gotten extremely soaked on Splash Mountain on days where it was very uncomfortable to feel that way. There is no shame in wearing a poncho. I can't stand squishy sneaks and chafed thighs so I have been known to wrap the poncho around my lower body and let my face and shirt get wet. Those areas dry off a lot more quickly.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with you - I wish there was a way to keep my shorts and my bangs dry. I don't care about the rest of my clothes or the rest of my hair - I just hate wet shorts and I hate my bangs hanging in my face the rest of the day! I've heard plenty of folks say they wear ponchos on Kali but I've yet to be on so I have no idea how well they work.
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

My GF wore a poncho on Kali Rapids and was the unlucky recipient of a major dowsing. The water went right down the front neck opening and she was soaked. I barely got wet. So the poncho doesn't always work.
    șoș Joe șoș
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Dolphin - May '99
    Pop - July '04
    ASMu - Sept '05
    Pop - Sept '06
    Pop - Sept '07
    Pop - Sept '08
    Pop - Sept '09
    Pop - Sept '10 HONEYMOON
    Pop - Sept '11
    Pop - Nov '12
    Pop NYE '13/'14
    NEXT TRIP - Pop - Nov 9th-16th '14

Post Thanks / Like

Good question! It's tricky and I rarely pull it off. You almost need two ponchos. One to sit on, because the seats of water rides are always wet, and one to wear. It's hard to accurately adjust to protect all areas. I didn't get all that wet on Kali, actually. I wore ponchos and never ended up in the seat that bears the brunt of the dousing. My husband did He always gets it on water rides.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

To poncho or not to poncho....

It depends on my mood, time of day and the weather. It's hard to decide sometimes, as I wouldn't mind getting a little spritz but getting soaked and walking around in wet clothes is a bit of a buzz kill.

The poncho has kept me reasonably dry when I have used it. I do take care to tuck it under and hold it closed around the neck if it looks like I am in the lucky seat. It is harder to keep shoes dry - sometimes I use my watersport sneakers or change into flip flops for the ride.

Coming up! WL Villas, August 2 - 9 2013

WL Villas Aug 9-16, 2010
    POR Aug 4-11, 2008
    POR Aug 22-29, 2007
    POR May 4-9, 2007
    POR - May 2006
    POFQ - Dec 2005
    POR - May 2005
    POFQ - May 2004
    OKW - May 2003
    AKL - May 2001
    CBR Annually 1995-1997

Post Thanks / Like

My daughter who is 19 and of course takes to much time to get ready with her hair and makeup has made an outfit out of ponchos that look like a skirt and shirt with velcro. She changes her shoes to not so nice ones before the ride and puts a shower cap on. Now she does stay dry a little more than the rest of us. But every time I go I just take extra clothes with us and make it near the end of the day so I can change into something else with out losing time. But none of us will pass up these rides.
    Walt will always be my HERO.

1973 - 1999 Disneyland twice a month
    2003 June offsite WDW
    2004 & 2006 Dec. AK
    2007 Feb. PP Disneyland
    2008 Jan. All Star Movies
    2009 Jun. DLH Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

We wore our ponchos on Kali River but needless to say still got pretty wet. We did not mind it however due to the heat. So it can be a good thing sometimes if you dont get too wet.
    Offsite...(12/97 & 10/99)
    DL...(10/02 & 5/05)
    CBR/Disney Wonder 2004, AllStar Music 2004, AKL 2006, POP 2006, POP 2007, Poly 2007, BWI 2007, WL 2008, CSR 2009, Poly 2009, CBR 2010, AKL 2011...

Post Thanks / Like

I wear my poncho, tuck it under me as much as possible, pull the hood up and if it looks like I'm going to get drenched I tuck my head and hold the neck opening as tightly closed as possible. As far as shoes, tuck them in a plastic grocery type bag & stick them in the center area. Or wear something like Tevas that will dry pretty quickly.
    șoșKathyșoș TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: