Quantcast Getting into your home resort

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Getting into your home resort

I have another question for you DVC owners out there. How hard is it to get a reservation if you don't plan your trip one year out. My family and I usually plan one big trip a year, but my husband and I like to take weekend trip we usually only plan 1-2 months out. I'm getting worried reading the posts about not being able to get in anywhere in December, especially with it only being May. Have you all had trouble making reservations, its it hard to get into your home resort (esp. if we were to buy BWV by resale)? Any info on this topic would be really informative before we pull the trigger on this one.
    First Trip- Oct 1978 (9 months old)
    Last Trip- Everett's Summer Vacation June '10
    Next Trip- Everett's 1st Food and Wine Oct '10
    Oct 4-6
    58 trips in between

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

If you're at one of the smaller properties, I'd say you're probably gonna be out of luck 1-2 months out, but it will all depend on what time of the season it is I guess. Some are much more popular than others.

If you're at OKW or SSR, your odds are better. I just booked SSR for December and was able to get in, so it can be done.

There's always waitlist, too.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Don't buy BWV (or VWL or BCV) if you can't or won't plan more than 7 months ahead. After the 7 month window opens, all members have an equal shot at getting reservations, and many members try to switch to the smaller resorts at that time.

No reason to pay the higher price or higher annual dues if you won't be using the home resort booking avantage.

Standard view and guaranteed Boardwalk view accomodations are almost never available once the 7 month window opens - a few exceptions, but those are few an far between.

The most difficult times to book the BWV after the 7 month window opens (talking mostly about the Pool/Garden room category, which makes up about 60% of the available BWV rooms) include October through the first weekend in January and the weeks surrounding any national Holiday. Spring break time starting in mid -february through end of April can also be tough (but not impossible). Summertime is actually easier than most other times. May and September are the easiest (excluding the Holiday periods).

You're most likely to find last minute availability at the larger DVC resorts - SSR and OKW. However, 60 days prior to the date, any unreserved member inventory is sent to CRO to rent to the general public. Members still have access to those rooms, but are competing for them with the general public on a first come, first served basis. Thus availability is often very limited once you get to the 60 day mark.

If you are going to regularly book on short notice, you will proably end up frustrated with your membership. Some members do book last minute successfully, but you just can't count on being able to do it or even on staying at the same resort for your entire trip.

Post Thanks / Like

I think CarolMN's final paragraph says it all. I've found DVC to be a great thing, but I am able and love to plan at the 11 month window.

If you are not able to plan more than a couple of months, I, too, would bet that DVC would be frustrating.
    Upcoming Trips:

March '11 Beach Club Villas
    July '11 Disney Institute Seminar-Beach Club
    Aug '11 Wonder to Alaska
    Nov '11 BLT

DVC Member Since 11/06

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to think it's hit or miss or maybe we just luck out but we have been able to get the smaller resorts on short notice. In October 2006 DH & I booked a studio at the BCV for a weekend in December 2006. In May 2007 we booked a studio at the BWV for next weekend.
    ~ Christine

Post Thanks / Like

This is our first attempt in about 5 years to book our home resort which is BWV for December. We called exactly at the 11 month mark and could not get in. We have been on the waiting list ever since but with no luck yet.

We called the morning of our 7 month mark for an alternate resort and, although we did book OKW, we were not able to get it for the duration of our trip. Unless the waiting list comes through for either BWV or two additional nights at OKW, we will have to move resorts at least once during our trip.

From what I've heard, booking your home resort in off-season is very difficult since it's a lower points usage time of year.
    DVC Member Since 2000
    1998 - Offsite (Our Honeymoon!)
    1999 - Offsite
    2000 - GF & BWV
    2001 - BWV & OKW
    2002 - OKW
    2003 - OKW
    2004 - OKW
    2005 - OKW & Gaylord Palms
    2006 - OKW & Omni Champions Gate
    Most Recent Magic! - November/December 2007 - OKW & AKL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ldn324 View Post
    This is our first attempt in about 5 years to book our home resort which is BWV for December. We called exactly at the 11 month mark and could not get in. We have been on the waiting list ever since but with no luck yet...(snip).....
    Then you must have wanted a standard view room(or maybe a guaranteed Boardwalk view). If you had been willing to accept a Preferred View - Pool/Garden room, you would have gotten your reservation.

I am only posting because I think it is misleading to say you couldn't get into BWV at 11 months when what you really meant was you couldn't get the lower point SV rooms - the standard view rooms make up less than 20% of the available rooms at the BWV.

For the very popular early December timeframe, BWV owners just have to resign themselves to calling day by day if they want the lower point SV accomodations.

Sorry you didn't get your SV (or BW view room). Hope your waitlist comes through.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CarolMN View Post
    Then you must have wanted a standard view room(or maybe a guaranteed Boardwalk view). If you had been willing to accept a Preferred View - Pool/Garden room, you would have gotten your reservation.

I am only posting because I think it is misleading to say you couldn't get into BWV at 11 months when what you really meant was you couldn't get the lower point SV rooms - the standard view rooms make up less than 20% of the available rooms at the BWV.

For the very popular early December timeframe, BWV owners just have to resign themselves to calling day by day if they want the lower point SV accomodations.

Sorry you didn't get your SV (or BW view room). Hope your waitlist comes through.

Sorry - I should have clarified. Actually, although we did want standard view, once we found out it was not available we had reservations check preferred view with fewer nights and it was still not available. I don't think I'm being misleading by stating what actually happened to us. We were not able to get into BWV at the 11 month mark in any room. Whether the reservationist was right or wrong, that's what we were told. I can't speak for everyone -this is just an accurate account of what we experienced. I'm hoping we are in the minority and that most people do get their requests. As of now, we still don't have ressies for our entire trip and will probably end up paying out of pocket and/or off-site for 2 nights. Sad but true...for us anyway.
    DVC Member Since 2000
    1998 - Offsite (Our Honeymoon!)
    1999 - Offsite
    2000 - GF & BWV
    2001 - BWV & OKW
    2002 - OKW
    2003 - OKW
    2004 - OKW
    2005 - OKW & Gaylord Palms
    2006 - OKW & Omni Champions Gate
    Most Recent Magic! - November/December 2007 - OKW & AKL

TiggerRPh Guest

I really depends on the size of the unit you'll need and the time of the year. December is a very popular time for DVC members at OKW. If you don't make a reservation at least 3-4 months out for OKW you're going to be out of luck.

If you're talking Setember or January, you probably can wait to the "last minute".

Post Thanks / Like

I can't answer for all DVC members,but I can say, I have not had a real concern of trying to get into the Villas at Wilderness Lodge. On one occassion, Nov.06 I had to select Saratoga Springs as the Villas were booked on what I needed(1Bedroom). I did try for Dec.'07 for this year,but decided Nov.worked better.

We have had membership since 2001, and except for these two times, have always gotten in to our home resort without a problem. I have made reservations from 11 months up to just weeks ahead. I have not encountered concerns. I travel several times a year.
    Ft.Wilderness:84,86,96,98,2000
    Disney Magic Cruise: 01, 05, 07
    Wilderness Villas 2002, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07,08
    Old Key West 2002
    Wilderness Lodge Flag Family, Sept.,2003/March/06/july/07
    Board Walk Preferred View Feb.2005
    DVCMember/Disney StockHolder/AP Holder
    Saratoga Springs: Nov.06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ldn324 View Post
    Sorry - I should have clarified. Actually, although we did want standard view, once we found out it was not available we had reservations check preferred view with fewer nights and it was still not available. I don't think I'm being misleading by stating what actually happened to us. We were not able to get into BWV at the 11 month mark in any room. Whether the reservationist was right or wrong, that's what we were told. I can't speak for everyone -this is just an accurate account of what we experienced. I'm hoping we are in the minority and that most people do get their requests. As of now, we still don't have ressies for our entire trip and will probably end up paying out of pocket and/or off-site for 2 nights. Sad but true...for us anyway.
    Wow - I'm really sorry to hear this happened to you.

FWIW, I think you were the victim of a poorly trained or incompetent CM - Going by reports on other boards, the BWV did not completely fill up for the first week of December until much closer to the 7 month mark.

Hope your waitlist comes through and that this never happens to you again!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow - I'm surprised as well that you couldn't book BWV at 11 months - we booked for Dec. a couple of weeks ago with no problem - we booked a 1 bdrm for Dec. 21-24 at about 8 months out - I thought we got lucky (and I'm sure we did just get lucky) But I always thought 11 mo. out it wasn't that hard to get a reservation.

Kim

Post Thanks / Like

This was my first time not staying at our home resort and I thought it was the 6 month mark I was suppose to book, not 7 months. I tried to get into the BWV, but the only thing they had left was the SSRV. I am sure I will enjoy it there too, but I am concerned that SSRV is so large there will be a lot of walking for my 71 year old Mother-in-law who will have had her second knee replacement next week. Any room suggestions that I can request when we get there for convenience to her? This will be our first stay there, thanks.
    2012 MNSSHP
    2012 Tokyo Disneyland
    2012 Hong Kong Disneyland
    2012 WDW
    2011 Disneyland
    2011 WLV
    2009 WLV
    2007 SSV
    2005 WLV & AKL
    2003 Beach Club Villas/Grand Floridian
    2002 Wilderness Lodge
    2001 Dixie Landings
    2000 All Star Resort
    1999 Disneyland
    1998 Caribbean Beach

Post Thanks / Like

This is what I do NOT like about DVC. One of the reasons I purchased into this, was the fact that I could go to ALL of the resorts.

.......I was NOT told that it was difficult to do so (for other resorts besides your home resort) for so many parts of the year.

Of course they aren't going to tell me that -- but still, it's very frustrating.

Kind of a 'let down' if you ask me.
    WDW is my happy place

pogo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Carolee View Post
    This is what I do NOT like about DVC. One of the reasons I purchased into this, was the fact that I could go to ALL of the resorts.

.......I was NOT told that it was difficult to do so (for other resorts besides your home resort) for so many parts of the year.

Of course they aren't going to tell me that -- but still, it's very frustrating.

Kind of a 'let down' if you ask me.
    This is one of the things holding me back from buying into DVC. I'd be as *^?+ if I paid the money to join and couldn't get a studio for the time I wanted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pogo View Post
    This is one of the things holding me back from buying into DVC. I'd be as *^?+ if I paid the money to join and couldn't get a studio for the time I wanted.
    I've always gotten exactly what I want - but I bought where I want to stay and I book as soon as the 11 month window opens. It is very, very, very rare not to get what you want if you book your home resort when the 11 month window opens.

Virtually everyone who was disappointed, was trying to book one of the smaller WDW DVC resorts (VWL, BCV or BWV), a Grand Villa or other unique unit type at the 7 month window. (HHI is very tough to get at 7 month mark for the summer months - especially if you want one fo the very limited studios or 1 bedroom units).

If you would not be happy staying at your home resort when your first or second choice is not available at 7 months, then DVC is not a good idea for you.

If you really want to stay mostly at a particular resort, then that is the resort you need to buy.

If you can't (or don't want to) plan more than 7 months in advance, then DVC will often be a sourve of frustration.

At 7 months, you are competing with every other DVC member on a first come, first served basis. It is unrealistic to expect you will always be able to get what you want if lots of other people are competing for the same thing. But if you understand the system and are willing to waitlist, you can be successful, even for popular times.

If you can travel when lots of other people don't, you will not have trouble getting your first choice of resort and unit type. For example, September and May (excluding the holidays) are the easiest times to get DVC accomodations at WDW.

DVC is not a good thing for everyone! But for those who understand (and can live with) its limitations, it can be a wonderful way to vacation in deluxe accomodations at bargain prices.

mprewitt Guest

Nicely put, CarolMN!

I bought points at 3 different resorts (AKV, VWL, and BWV) just so I could be assured of booking at the 11-month window and getting into these resorts. As the saying goes, buy where you want to stay.

If I do want to book on a more ad-hoc basis, chances are I'll still get in at OKW or SSR.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: