Quantcast 7 month mark ...questions.

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default 7 month mark ...questions.

I am going to WDW on Dec. 4 - Dec. 14. My DVC home resort is SSR. Use year is December. I have a reservation in place for my home resort.

This will be my first time trying to change my resort at a 7 month point of SSR to another resort.

From what I understand, a good way to help me get what I want is to call day-by-day and change my reservation. Also, to NOT tell them I want DDP until the END of the day-by-day change because otherwise, they'd have to do more computer work on their side, plus it would take longer by phone and my chances would be slimmer (all advice given by intercotees and member services).

Questions:
    1. Would I start on May 4th?
    2. What time does Member Services open? I am on CST.
    3. What are my chances in getting WL or BW?

Any other advice would be GREATLY appreciatd.
    WDW is my happy place

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Carolee View Post
    From what I understand, a good way to help me get what I want is to call day-by-day and change my reservation.
    The "day-by-day" advice has its good and bad points. What you wrote is a good, sound plan. However, it leaves the possibility open of getting your wish for some nights, and not others. For example, you may be at SSR on night #1, then nights 2-3 you're at VWL, then back to SSR. Not saying it would happen, I'm stating that's what could happen! Just be prepared.
    Questions:
    1. Would I start on May 4th?
    You could call today, speak to MS, and they'll tell you when you can start. Sometimes it's May 4, sometimes May 5... slightly varying days for the 7 month mark. MS will direct you to the exact date.
    2. What time does Member Services open? I am on CST.
    For five days a week, 9:00 AM EST, 8 AM for you! 1 PM EST on Saturday.
    3. What are my chances in getting WL or BW?

Any other advice would be GREATLY appreciatd.
    Not to be a bummer, but VWL will be extremely difficult to snag in early December. BW won't be too much easier, but it is larger than the VWL, so you have a better chance.
    December is a hugely popular month for all DVC guests staying at their home resorts.
    In any event, it doesn't hurt to call and ask! Hopefully you'll get what you want!

Good luck! I do hope it works out for you!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice. I called today (before my 'okayed' date to be able to call) and asked them about availability for VWL and/or BW and the member service rep stated that those days had NO availability for the two resorts.

OH NO.....how successful will I be if I get put on the waiting list for those 2 resorts at that time of year?...I heard it's popular for DVC members....but honestly....what are my chances?

And another question: Would it be easier to do this day by day, or to wait until the last day I'm allowed to and try to book the whole vacation and/or get put on the waiting list for the whole block of time?
    WDW is my happy place

Post Thanks / Like

This goes back to my original post above.
    If you call day-by-day and are wait-listed, you stand the chance of some nights in, some nights out...

You could be moving back and forth between resorts during your stay (maybe more than once).

If you wait until the end and wait-list the entire stay - and I'm not advocating you do this - you stand less of a chance of getting your wait-list resort, but in the event you do, the entire stay would be there.

It's really a catch-22. At least you'll be down there at SSR!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I see.....but this is the thing.....

I've discussed this with my husband, and we just do not want to have to move from resort to resort. Not even once, let alone twice.

He did bring up a point - he said if we did that, it would seem as though we were on two different vacatios.

But again, I just don't want to do that.

I'm kinda bummed because part of the DVC allure, was the fact that I could use any other resorts. I didn't know that certain times of the year.....it's virtually impossible.
    WDW is my happy place

Post Thanks / Like

Do you only plan to go to WDW in early December? If so, it's unlikely that you will be able to book your stay in VWL, BCV or BWV. There are so many members now that getting a popular time at 7 months at VWL, BCV & BWV is not nearly as easy as it used to be.

If you want to stay at one of those resorts, other times of the year are much easier to book at 7 months. In my experience, the easiest times to book them at 7 months are:

mid-January to mid February
    May
    summer months
    September

You still need to call right at 7 months, though to have the best chance of making a reservation without having to use the waitlist.

Post Thanks / Like

What about mid-November (before Thanksgiving)?
    WDW is my happy place

Post Thanks / Like

What about mid-November (before Thanksgiving)?
    My opinion - still assuming that you call as soon as your 7 month window opens. Best chance is to call day by day and waitlist for individual days if not available when you call.

Week before Thanksgiving (not the week that contains Thanksgiving):
    Pretty good at VWL (not as good as other times listed, though)

Not great at BCV or BWV, but that week between the end of Food & WIne and Thanksgiving week is easier than any other week in November.

First two weeks of November at BCV & BWV are tough - Food & WIne is still going on, Soap weekend at MGM , sometimes the Golf Tournament and NJ week (NJ teachers have a convention and there is no school for a Thursday & Friday, so many take the entire week off & go to WDW. Believe NJ has more DVC members than any other state and many of them own BWV & BCV).

FWIW, mid-November is easier than the first two weeks of December, but if you can't get in, it won't seem easier (or matter to you).

Again, just my opinion. Others may differ.

Post Thanks / Like

When is the NJ Teachers week?....is it the same week every year?
    WDW is my happy place

Post Thanks / Like

I see.....but this is the thing.....

I've discussed this with my husband, and we just do not want to have to move from resort to resort. Not even once, let alone twice.

He did bring up a point - he said if we did that, it would seem as though we were on two different vacatios.

But again, I just don't want to do that.
    I realize this may not make a difference to you, and somebody will correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that Disney folks can move your baggage from one resort to another. I know they do outside of DVC and from DVC to a non-DVC. I think they would from a DVC to another DVC.

I realize it seems like a big deal to think about unpacking and repacking in the middle of the trip, but if somebody moves them for you, maybe you won't mind?
    I'm not bad - I'm just drawn that way!

Next Trip? Not sure but always planning!!
    Oct 2007 House rental
    Dec 2005 CBR
    Jan 2003 House rental
    Aug 1997 Grosvenor
    Sep 1993 Off site hotel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrsHerbie53 View Post
    I was under the impression that Disney folks can move your baggage from one resort to another.
    This is true for DVC resorts as well. They will move your luggage from your first resort to the next.

When is the NJ Teachers week?....is it the same week every year?
    Typically the 1st or 2nd Thurs-Fri of November each year. Some families plan a whole week vacation then since the kids are only missing 2-3 days instead of 5. Thurs-Sun is the busiest.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolMN View Post
    Believe NJ has more DVC members than any other state and many of them own BWV & BCV).
    True- if not the most- then close. Count me among then, and we own at BCV as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolMN View Post
    Do you only plan to go to WDW in early December? If so, it's unlikely that you will be able to book your stay in VWL, BCV or BWV.
    Several reasons this is an almost impossible time to stay outside of your home resort:
    Weather is usually nice
    Christmas decorations are up
    It's a DVC Value season- low points
    All DVC properties have their annual member meetings at the beginning of December- thousands of DVC-ers flock to WDW at that time.

It's just another point that goes along with our sound advice to always buy into a resort you want to stay in.
    SSR is a great resort. I would stick with your plan to vacation at that time, but be happy with SSR. It's a great place!
    Linda
    aka: wendy*darling

INTERCOT Staff:
    Disney & Orlando Dining/Nightlife, Shopping & Water Parks/Disney Vacation Club

DVC owners at WLV, BCV and SSR
    Next up: VWL & POFQ Dec 2009 - just adults!
    On Deck: DCL Wonder Dec 2010... but I'm sure we can come up with something before then!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wendy*darling View Post
    It's just another point that goes along with our sound advice to always buy into a resort you want to stay in.
    I couldn't agree with you more.

Once upon a time, DVC could sell itself on the "choice of resorts" available to all members. Nowadays, with the vastly growing numbers, "prime resorts" are tough to come by. It used to be the BC and VWL were difficult, but very possible to reserve. Nowadays, it's tough at those places. BWV's are becoming increasingly difficult to get.

This is what happens when you have over 105,000 members staying at 7 resorts.

I'm a part owner at SSR, so take this statement for what it's worth: They've sold so many memberships at SSR, that the market has become super-saturated for the other resorts. SSR is a fine place to stay - really great actually. But it can't hold a candle to BCV, VWL, or BWV's. Thus you'll find availability at both OKW and SSR more consistently than any of the other resorts.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: