Quantcast Walt Disney World Resort Hotels to Institute Smoke-Free Policy June 1, 2007 - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

This is very cool. I am so glad this is happening!! Way to step up to the plate for the ex's.
    J
    3/01 1st trip -Off site with 100 kids
    Over 20 trips since 3/01
    Lot's of fun and great family memories..

Going to be there in June 08.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

This is the best news I think I have heard all year. A Year of A Million Dreams. This for sure is one of my wishes come true. I have terrible allergies to smoke and just a quick whiff of smoke can set me off into a violent coughing fit along with a bad migraine. I really hope that the Smoke-Free Policy is enforced. I do know however, that I will still be requesting a room in a bldg that was previously non-smoking as the smell of smoke will stay in the rooms for quite some time.
    Maybe Disney has been listening to us non-smokers after all. Way to go Disney!
    2-18 May 2011 POFQ
    2-14 May 08 POFQ 20th Anniversary Amazing weather
    5 -21 Dec 07 POFQ Fabulous weather
    26 Apr-16 May 06 POFQ - AWESOME. 20 days SUNSHINE
    27 Apr-10 May 05 POFQ
    04-11 May 00 POFQ 1st Trip We're hooked!

Disneyland 12-19 August 09 Grand Californian - Amazing Place

Post Thanks / Like

I know I'll be in the minority here, but I can't tell you how disappointed I am that Disney has done this. I totally understand not being able to smoke freely in the parks or in common areas at the resorts. However, smoking on the patio or balcony of a room seems reasonable. This seems a bit like Big Brother watching...

By the way, for those smokers out there who are freaking, you may want to search the internet for "smokeless cigarettes" - they may be an option for those folks that can't make it down to a smoking area in the rain, the heat, or the dark of night!
    Dixie Landings - 22 Visits
    WL - 16 Visits & Wedding Ceremony!
    AKLodge - 1 Visit
    PO - 1 Visit
    Poly - 1 Visit
    YC - 25 Visits
    BC - 3 Visits
    DTD Hilton - 1 Visit
    Off Site - 3 Visits & Counting...
    Grand Cali - Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

I am a smoker as well as DW. We do obey Disney’s smoking policy while we visit WDW, and also believe in the Clean Indoor Air Act. This time I feel Disney has gone to far. Every resort already has designated smoking rooms, so why can’t they leave well enough alone. Even if they decrease the amount of smoking rooms would be fine if the numbers are decline for smoking room requests. I am a DVC owner and would have never made the purchase if they told me I cannot smoke in my own place. Technically Disney does not have the right to say I cannot smoke in my room because Disney does not own it. It is owned by the members. Disney is really starting to discriminate against smokers with this one. They stick smokers in a corner but leave Epcot wide open during the F&W Festival for people to walk around drinking alcohol, and nothing is wrong with that. It is OK for guests to walk around the resort with alcohol, sit by the pool, etc. and nothing is wrong with that. Disney sells alcohol in plain view to all guests at all the resort general stores, but cigarettes are hidden behind the counter so you cannot see them. What’s wrong with this picture? I cannot tell you how many times I have seen public drunkenness while attending the F&W Festival and nothing was done about it, but if someone was smoking they would be confronted immediately by a CM. Something is terribly wrong here. Disney is following suit with the government and sad to say smokers will have the last laugh. We are used to spending the extra money for cigarettes all the time, but the day will come when the government will force smokers to quit and when the taxes dollars are not coming in anymore the states and government will have to increase taxes and everyone will have to pay their fair share, and it will be a savings to the past smoker because the taxes will be nowhere near what they spend in a year on tobacco products.
    Vince
    aka. Vizsla

INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous and Disney Vacation Club

DVC Member 10/11/04

7.37 miles from WDW. My retirement dream come true!
    Post Thanks / Like

I know I've already posted on this thread...earlier in the day...and my sadness and depression over this change just deepens. As stated earlier, they already have specified smoking rooms that are seperate and away from others and I just don't understand the need for this new policy. In addition, if they were going to make this change, it should have been done with more than a 30 days notice. As I stated earlier we have been planning this once in a lifetime vacation and now, well gosh, it is really tarnished. I wonder if you can pay the $250 recovery fee up front and be allowed to smoke.

We have looked into moving off site (really ruins our trip) but we lose the extra magic hours and you can't get the disney dining plan unless you stay on site.

My heart goes out all all of you with allergies and asthma. But nicotine addiction is an illness as well and as long as we don't infringe on others (by limiting it to our room and designated areas) I feel that we are being discriminated against.

Thanks for letting me vent. I can't think of a solution that is a win - win. Other than quitting, does anyone have a creative suggestion?
    I LOVE DISNEY WORLD!!!!!
    A dream is a wish your heart makes and mine came true when I retired here in December 2014! I go to a park at least once a week!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Great News For Us!!!

We really hate the smell of cigarette smoke so this is a good move in our book.

And I am even happier to see that this was made as a business decision by Disney, not another mandate from the government. Big Brother sticks it's nose into our lives enough.
    35+ trips to WDW since 1985...and it never gets old.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    ...I think it tempts smokers to sneak in-room smokes now that they have no option to book a smoking room.
    .... So while I applaud the boldness of the move, I worry. Rule breakers are everywhere.
    That's my concern too. Even on our last trip, our first room assignment turned out to be a non-smoking room with an overwhelming smell of smoke. We were able to get a different room, but it was still a hassle. I can see this happening more often, even with a penalty in place.
    Ben

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder how folks would feel if they were turned away from purchasing beer at a resort, or enjoying ice cream on Main Street, or perhaps were denied the pleasure of a funnel cake from Sleepy Hollow... hot dogs from Casey's?... a slice of cake from the Main St. Bakery?... a glass of wine from France? Those are just a few of the unhealthy temptations that are offered at WDW every day. Where are the concerns about "healthy living options" when it comes to these items? Don't get me wrong, I don't want these things to disappear - I was able to create this list very quickly because they are all things I enjoy. I'm just tired of smokers being picked on.
    Dixie Landings - 22 Visits
    WL - 16 Visits & Wedding Ceremony!
    AKLodge - 1 Visit
    PO - 1 Visit
    Poly - 1 Visit
    YC - 25 Visits
    BC - 3 Visits
    DTD Hilton - 1 Visit
    Off Site - 3 Visits & Counting...
    Grand Cali - Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vizsla View Post
    They stick smokers in a corner but leave Epcot wide open during the F&W Festival for people to walk around drinking alcohol, and nothing is wrong with that. It is OK for guests to walk around the resort with alcohol, sit by the pool, etc. and nothing is wrong with that. Disney sells alcohol in plain view to all guests at all the resort general stores, but cigarettes are hidden behind the counter so you cannot see them. What’s wrong with this picture? I cannot tell you how many times I have seen public drunkenness while attending the F&W Festival and nothing was done about it, but if someone was smoking they would be confronted immediately by a CM. Something is terribly wrong here.
    I do not smoke, and I do not drink. Somebody walking around drinking alcohol is not going to put alcohol into my body. Someone walking around smoking a cigarette is going to put several toxic substances into my body that I do not want .... There is no comparison.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2Epcot View Post
    I do not smoke, and I do not drink. Somebody walking around drinking alcohol is not going to put alcohol into my body. Someone walking around smoking a cigarette is going to put several toxic substances into my body that I do not want .... There is no comparison.
    I understand on what you are saying about taking in toxins from cigarette smoke but at the parks there are designated smoking areas which are out of the way from other guests so non-smokers should not be affected by that. I look at this as setting an example for children. Disney tries to hide the smokers and crams them in a corner like a herd of cattle but lets guests who like to have a drink walk freely around the park with alcohol.
    Vince
    aka. Vizsla

INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous and Disney Vacation Club

DVC Member 10/11/04

Post Thanks / Like

By the way, for those smokers out there who are freaking, you may want to search the internet for "smokeless cigarettes" - they may be an option for those folks that can't make it down to a smoking area in the rain, the heat, or the dark of night!

I just checked on this. Seems very interesting. I will definitley order some. Thanks for the advice.

First trip 1972
    Last trip 7/11
    Next trip 6/12

Post Thanks / Like

I'm TOTALLY for this decision.

But does anybody else think that it is ironic that Walt Disney himself couldn't stay at his hotels as he was a chain smoker...
    Wilderness Campgrounds ('77)
    Villas ('88)
    Off Site ('91)
    AK Lodge ('04)
    AS Sports ('05)
    AS Music (April '06)
    Pop (Sept. '06)
    OKW (Feb. '08)
    BCV/SSR (June '08)
    SSR (Nov. '08)
    AKV (Kidani Village)/BWV (June '09)

Terk24 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MPoppins View Post
    I wonder how folks would feel if they were turned away from purchasing beer at a resort, or enjoying ice cream on Main Street, or perhaps were denied the pleasure of a funnel cake from Sleepy Hollow... hot dogs from Casey's?... a slice of cake from the Main St. Bakery?... a glass of wine from France? Those are just a few of the unhealthy temptations that are offered at WDW every day. Where are the concerns about "healthy living options" when it comes to these items?

All of these things impact the persons health only that chooses to eat them. Smoking impacts everyones health around the smoker. One is a choice (ice cream) the other is not a choice (2nd hand smoke). This is not to start a negative post, but to help show the differences. Same with alcohol....unless someone gets excessively drunk and disruptive (which then they are removed from the park) alcohol only impacts the persons health who directly consumes it, not everyone's health around that person. Every time someone lights a cigarette, many people are impacted.

Post Thanks / Like

To get this discussion back on track...this decision does not seem well planned. They should have given themselves a 6 month time frame from the announcement to when the policy goes into effect. As some posters have noted, when they called they were told that Every resort will have designated outdoor smoking areas and the each resort would choose where they were located. When people have called their respective resort, however, no decisions have been made where they will be located. Do people actually think that in less than a month they are going to:

1) Redo all the smoking rooms in all 19 resorts? At the very least, they would need to do a soft goods refurb, including curtains.

2) designated the outdoor smoking areas and update all the literature, especially maps

3) educate all resort CMs on where the areas are located and make sure each CM gives consistant info?

This could be a big mess...
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Good points Hammer!

Not to , but I have to ask....

How many of y'all like sniffing the noxious fumes from the buses when you have to stand next to them while they are being loaded? I stand by buses much more than I do smokers, and those exhaust fumes make me (especially when I'm at the part of the queue that's at the back of the bus and I'm waiting 5-10 minutes for a wheelchair to be loaded). Unfortunately, natural gas buses are not used at WDW yet, and cost more to purchase and maintain than regular buses (even with federal credits and grants). Maybe as old buses are phased out, new "greener" buses will be phased in. I searched the internet for any possible plans Disney may have, but didn't find anything yet.

Just asking since that issue never seems to be brought up in these "I shouldn't be forced to breath your poison" tangents.

I know...off topic...but that darn common sense streak in me......
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WishingStar2006 View Post
    I know I've already posted on this thread...earlier in the day...and my sadness and depression over this change just deepens. As stated earlier, they already have specified smoking rooms that are seperate and away from others and I just don't understand the need for this new policy. In addition, if they were going to make this change, it should have been done with more than a 30 days notice. As I stated earlier we have been planning this once in a lifetime vacation and now, well gosh, it is really tarnished. I wonder if you can pay the $250 recovery fee up front and be allowed to smoke.

We have looked into moving off site (really ruins our trip) but we lose the extra magic hours and you can't get the disney dining plan unless you stay on site.

My heart goes out all all of you with allergies and asthma. But nicotine addiction is an illness as well and as long as we don't infringe on others (by limiting it to our room and designated areas) I feel that we are being discriminated against.

Thanks for letting me vent. I can't think of a solution that is a win - win. Other than quitting, does anyone have a creative suggestion?
    Is smoking allowed at The Dolphin? Or the hotels over by the Marketplace on Disney property? I don't know if you get the EMH staying there, but you could check. I really feel bad for the smokers. I can certainly see why you all feel picked on. Especially those of you who are so careful. Personally I enjoy a drink now and then, but people die every day on the streets and highways from drunk drivers, so I can see the bad feelings about all the alcohol sold on Disney property, but not allowing smoking. I'm sure there are many who drink in the parks, then drive to an outside hotel, or to their home. Very dangerous and scary to think about that. I also have to say that going all day having to look for areas in which to smoke, then going back to your room exhausted at the end of the day and having to run around the resort to find a place to smoke again while paying the high cost of a Disney vacation would be very frustrating. It really does seem like the best solution would have been to reduce the amount of smoking rooms. They could even charge an extra $5, or so a night for one to offset the cost of cleaning/painting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vizsla View Post
    I understand on what you are saying about taking in toxins from cigarette smoke but at the parks there are designated smoking areas which are out of the way from other guests so non-smokers should not be affected by that. I look at this as setting an example for children. Disney tries to hide the smokers and crams them in a corner like a herd of cattle but lets guests who like to have a drink walk freely around the park with alcohol.
    I disagree with your concept. I don't think it's Disney trying to set an example. It's as simple as what was just said, drinking or overeating only affects the person doing it. Smoking can affect many people in your area.

I did say though that I think this may a little over restrictive. Yes its annoying to walk through a cloud of smoke, but I don't think allowing folks to smoke on the balcony, or outside the room in the mods and values is a bad idea. Not only is it easier for the guest, it's less likely to promote sneaking a smoke in the room.

As far as smoking rooms, sometimes you end up in one even if you don't want one, that is a very unpleasant surprise. It also costs more for Disney to clean and deodorize a smoking room that a non-smoking room.

I really like the idea of no smoking in the room, but outside isn't that bad in my opinion, and I'm someone who absolutely hates cigarette smoke.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MPoppins View Post
    I wonder how folks would feel if they were turned away from purchasing beer at a resort, or enjoying ice cream on Main Street, ...
    But there are many places already where you can not do these things. Disney is not saying people can't smoke, just not in certain places. Actually, I have been turned away from ordering a beer in the Magic Kingdom...I felt fine.

Quote Originally Posted by rsumrall View Post
    But does anybody else think that it is ironic that Walt Disney himself couldn't stay at his hotels as he was a chain smoker...
    He could stay there, he would just have to go to the smoking area.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2Epcot View Post
    Someone walking around smoking a cigarette is going to put several toxic substances into my body that I do not want.
    I think Disney made a smart decision with this ban, because we must remember that there are hotel staff that have to contend with the second hand smoke while working there - they cannot leave and they cannot ask to change rooms. And there is no reason someone else's trip should be ruined by an asthma or allergy attack brought upon by smoke.

Please know that I have no animosity towards smokers though - there are major entities that are responsible for their addiction, but we must also remember that Walt Disney would have been around longer had he not died from lung cancer.
    Adults are only kids grown up...

March 2013 - Beach Club
    October 2010 - Wilderness Lodge
    September 2009 - Contemporary
    February 2009 - Yacht Club
    April 2008 - Contemporary/Grand Floridian
    October 2007 - DLR - GC -Honeymoon trip!
    March 2007 - Poly
    February 2006 - DLR - Grand Californian

sly1 Guest

Do you think smokers are really going to walk all the way from their room to some obscure hidden corner to smoke? What a joke. They have been smoking in non-smoking rooms for years and now it will be worse because the ones that actually got a smoking room don't have that option anymore. I don't smoke and always request to be moved to a different room when my non-smoking smells like smoke. All I can say is stand clear of the exhaust vents from the bathroom fans; they are going to look like smoke stacks. lol Do you really think they are going to make the staff argue and fight with smokers? Its poorly enforced at the parks and will be poorly enforced in the resorts. Honestly I think it is just a public relations stunt for publicity.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: