Quantcast Rosie O'Donnell Leaving `The View'

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Rosie O'Donnell Leaving `The View'

The Associated Press
    Apr 25, 1:00 PM EST

NEW YORK -- Rosie O'Donnell's stormy tenure on "The View" will be a short one. The opinionated host was unable to agree on a contract with ABC, and she'll leave the show in June.

O'Donnell said on the show Wednesday that she wanted to stay for one more year, and ABC wanted three. So she decided to leave, although she said she will appear occasionally next season for things like a planned one-hour special on autism.

"It just didn't work," she said, "and that's show biz. But it's not sad because I loved it here and I love you guys and I'm not going away."

O'Donnell has helped raise the ratings for the daytime chat show invented by Barbara Walters. But her outspokenness has caused continual controversy, including a nasty name-calling feud with Donald Trump that placed Walters squarely in the middle.

"We have had, to say the least, an interesting year," Walters said.

Walters said she had nothing to do with the decision, reached after talks between representatives for ABC Daytime and O'Donnell.

"This is not my doing or my choice," she said.

Walters was frequently left to clean up the damage after O'Donnell. She did it most recently Monday, when O'Donnell was criticized for using bad language and attacking Rupert Murdoch from the dais of the annual New York Women in Communication awards luncheon.

"I would like to point out that Rosie's view is not always mine," Walters said. "I would like to say for the record that I am very fond of Rupert Murdoch."

In the Trump imbroglio, O'Donnell was reportedly mad that Walters did not come more swiftly to her defense, while Trump said Walters told him she didn't want O'Donnell on the show — a claim Walters denied.

Trump quickly went on Fox News Channel Wednesday to claim that O'Donnell was fired by ABC because of remarks made at the Women in Communications luncheon.

"Barbara's the happiest person in the world that Rosie's been fired," Trump said.

Cindi Berger, spokeswoman for both O'Donnell and Walters, denied Trump's claim, wondering how he would know what had happened in contract talks between O'Donnell and ABC.

"She wasn't going to commit to anything for three years and they would not commit to her for one more," Berger said.

Locking in O'Donnell to a three-year deal could protect ABC from year-to-year increases if the ratings continue to be good for the show.

Despite controversy — or maybe because of it — O'Donnell was good business for ABC, owned by the Walt Disney Co. Ratings for "The View" during February sweeps were up 15 percent in key women demographics over the same time in 2006.

Bill Carroll, an expert in the syndication market for Katz Television, said he'd be surprised if ABC didn't try hard to keep O'Donnell, given the attention she brought to the long-running show.

The timing of the announcement doesn't particularly suit O'Donnell if she wants to remain in daytime television. She wouldn't be able to introduce a new program to the syndication market until September 2008, he said. But the company that produced O'Donnell's long-running daytime show has expressed interest in having her back, he said.

O'Donnell has discussed acting on the FX show, "Nip/Tuck." But she has not decided what she wants to do in TV in the future, Berger said.

O'Donnell made headlines repeatedly for comments on "The View," and for testy exchanges with her more conservative partner, Elisabeth Hasselbeck.

She criticized "American Idol" in January for airing humiliating auditions. "Isn't that what America thinks of entertainment? To make fun of someone's physical appearance. And when they leave the room, laugh hysterically at them. Three millionaires, one probably intoxicated."

She accused fellow ABC daytime host Kelly Ripa of making a homophobic remark, said "radical Christianity is just as threatening as radical Islam in a country like America" and has been critical of President Bush.

Statements by public figures are being watched more closely in the post-Don Imus era. The lobbying group Focus on the Family said it was preparing to contact advertisers on "The View" as part of a campaign against O'Donnell. The group is angry at O'Donnell for comments they feel were insulting to Catholics.
    Disneyland - Only 70 Miles from the Original
    Too many times to count, but at least once a year since 1970 (AP 1995 and 2004)
    2007~We're AP holders again!

WDW

May 1990
    Surprise the kids Trip - June 2005 Grovesner
    Last Trip - May 8-16, 2007 Surprised the kids AGAIN!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad to see her go!

I used to really enjoy her when she had her own show, but she has become way to political for me now. There's one thing to feel the way she does about certain things, but don't try to force your ideas on everyone else! I actually stopped watching The View because of her.
    many, many trips as a child
    WDW 2000 - offsite
    WDW 2001 - offsite
    WDW 2006 - Pop Century
    WDW 2007 - Poly Concierge / OKW
    October 2007- Became DVC Members!!
    February 2008 - Saratoga Springs
    May 2008 - Boardwak Villas
    August 2008 - Beach Club / Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Yippee!
    INTERCOT Staff-
    Nightlife, Shops, Water Parks/DCL/runDisney

DVC owner- BLT, Alauni, SSR, Vero, OKW

Next:

Oct- WLV
    Nov- Vero
    Dec- BWV
    Jan- SSR runICOT WEEKEND!
    Feb- Poly
    Mar- Disney Wonder
    Apr- AKL Kidani
    May- Vero
    Sept- BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cantgetenuff View Post
    Yippee!
    My thoughts exactly.
    Up Next
    15 Disney Hilton Head Jul 5 - Jul 7
    15 Disney Dream Jul 1 - Jul 5
    15 Beach Club Jun 27- Jul 1
    14 Dolphin Resort Jun 12-16
    13 Fort Wilderness Christmas Dec 20- Dec 26

Post Thanks / Like

Good riddance!
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I'd be much happier if she left the planet
    Have no clue 1983
    Days Inn 1992
    Value Movies 2002
    Value Music 2003
    Value Movies 2004
    DisneyLand 2005
    Value Pop July 2006
    Coronodo Springs 2008

Post Thanks / Like

Rosie is an embarrasment to Americans. I am glad some of you agree and glad to see her go!!!
    2003- Oct.-Carribean Beach Resort
    2006- Oct/Nov.-Carribean Beach Resort
    2007-Nov.- POFQ
    2008-Nov.- POFQ
    2009- Nov.- POFQ
    2010- Nov.- PO Riverside
    2011- May- PO Riverside
    2012-May- Coronado
    2013-May- PO Riverside
    2014-May- PO Riverside
    [B]2015-April- Coronado[B/]

Post Thanks / Like

Rosie is an embarrasment to Americans.
    Really? This American certainly isn't embarrassed.

I for one only started watching this season (not a Walters fan). I guess I can delete the season pass from my Tivo.

Personally I'm not surprised. ABC wanted her for 3 years. I knew she'd never commit to such a long contract.

I wouldn't start cheering, Folks. She'll still be on The View to co-host and do specials - not to mention her stint on Nip/Tuck.

I find it refreshing when someone goes against the grain and speaks their mind like Joy and Rosie do.
    ¨¨*:•

"Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy!"

Post Thanks / Like

WOO HOO - I was afraid I was going to have to boycott Disney and ABC. I'm all for free thinking and speaking but when you say the US burned down the Tower 7, Puhleeze.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PolyGirl40 View Post
    I wouldn't start cheering, Folks. She'll still be on The View to co-host and do specials - not to mention her stint on Nip/Tuck.
    There are also rumors that several syndicators are talking to Rosie about hosting her own show again. I liked Rosie when she had her original talk show, but that changed once the show ended and she started acting differently, or started showing her real personality.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Good.

If this means I won't have to constantly see headlines trumpeting her latest opinion on things about which she knows nothing, that's good enough for me.

Even if it's only a few months of silence, I'll take it. She's a blowhard.

I don't care what side of the aisle you're on and whether I agree with you or not. A blowhard is a blowhard is a blowhard ... Rush or Rosie ... it's all the same thing.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Carol...I am with you. She can be a little over the top but it is entertainment..and if I am fed up, I turn the TV off.
    I just hope that she continues to use her voice bring awareness to topics such as autism and depression...
    BTW, have you seen Trumps' reaction..it is over the top. He is starting to lose it too!
    lol
    michelle

Post Thanks / Like

Rosie often speaks about things that she obviously has not investigated deeply. It is one thing to go against the grain but it's another to be outrageous just because, which is what I think she does sometimes.

Although I do agree with one of her recent comments, which was a retort against Sheryl Crow and her idea that we should all be able to limit ourselves to one square of toilet paper per usage.... it was along the lines of "have you seen the size of my backside?"
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Initially I was less than gung-ho about Rosie O'Donnell coming onto "The View", but I have to admit that she's made the show way more interesting. Whether I agreed or disagreed with her viewpoints on various topics, she spoke her mind, that's for sure. And she can be hilarious when she wants to be.

It'll be interesting to see who they bring on as a regular host after she leaves. I'm afraid most people's personalities are going to pale in comparison.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

I really feel this show needs to get some stability in the host department, or it's going to be in trouble. They haven't even replaced Star and now Rosie is leaving too?

I don't always agree with Rosie either, but she does make it interesting and entertaining.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PolyGirl40 View Post
    Really? This American certainly isn't embarrassed.

I for one only started watching this season (not a Walters fan). I guess I can delete the season pass from my Tivo.

Personally I'm not surprised. ABC wanted her for 3 years. I knew she'd never commit to such a long contract.

I find it refreshing when someone goes against the grain and speaks their mind like Joy and Rosie do.
    I felt the same way. I was really bummed when I heard the news.

At least I have her blog to check daily for my Rosie fix.

Don't understand how so many people seem to "hate' her. It seems she's a very polarizing figure - you either love her or hate her....... Seems sad that people hate her - seeing how much she does for charity and children - not to mention her large donation to the Fallen Heroes Fund.

I can't think of one person that I out and out hate and won't watch on TV.

Rumor is that HBO might pick her up to do a Bill Maher type show when she is on vacation. That would be awesome!

Interesting to see how the View is going to fare. I keep hoping that ABC will change their minds and give her the one year contract........
    SSR & BC DVC Member
    Coming up - BWV July '18
    BWI '98, BWV '05, '08-16
    BLT - '15, '17
    Beach Club '96, BCV - '04, '06, 09
    Swan '07
    Contemporary - '91, '94, '02, '04
    Wilderness Lodge '00, VWL, 08
    Off Site - '80's

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I am doing a happy dance for her departure.

I really don't mind people who are outspoken, and pursue topics with vigor. A lot of times these passionate arguments can encourage some serious thought. But it is different with Rosie.

Two things that made me a former Rosie fan:

She fails to learn about the issues before she spouts off. Which is still not all to unusual for the Hollywierd crowd (actually kinda the norm).

The main issue I have, is most of her little rants are brimming over with personal attacks and hate. Pure hate. I have no use for that.
    JR
    '86 Ramada Inn somewhere in Orlando :P
    '95 All Star Sports
    '00 All Star Music
    '03 Fort Wilderness
    '06 Fort Wilderness
    '07 Animal Kingdom Lodge

'09 Fort Wilderness
    '12 All Star Movies
    '13 Pop Century
    '14 Fort Wilderness
    '15 Fort Wilderness

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGiant View Post
    I can't think of one person that I out and out hate and won't watch on TV.
    First of all, I read through the posts and I don't see anyone on here that has said they "hate" her. I'm not trying to cause trouble, but as soon as I read this I immediately remembered your post from the Ten Commandments thread:

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGiant
    "I am sad to say - I stopped watching it when Chuck got all political."
    What is the difference?
    Rosie is to be commended for her charity work, but she has said some things that are very offensive. She has offended Christians and Catholics in particular on multiple occasions, she mocked the Chinese by using an age old stereo-type, she gave credence to 9/11 conspiracy theories by saying that she believes WTC7 was blown up by the US. She stuck to that belief even after reading a Popular Mechanics investigation into the situation that proved otherwise.

So while she may still have some funny bones in her body and make me laugh on occasion, I can completely understand why people do not like her anymore and choose not to watch her.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

I never watched The View until this year. Doubt it will remain on my TiVo List.

I think that people forget that he show is called "The View" and not "The View that is really popular with most people".

I say speak you mind, I love that Rosie isn't afraid of standing UP for what she thinks is right. Funny, though, she is a HUGE humanitarian and supports so many good causes, has foundations, is a staunch supporter of theater, yet people really hate her merely because her political views are liberal. Back when she was the person that everyone wanted her to be she was loved.

I will never understand it.
    Michael aka: NotaGeek

INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Staff
    WDW 1/6/16 - 1/11/16 - BRING ON THE COWBELLS!

Please s
    upport INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

There is a clear difference between voicing your opinion or "view" and ramming it down others throats, not listening to other views and being disrespectful of those differing views.

I continued to watch The View after Rosie joined. I didn't always agree with her opinions, but hence the point of the show. But after 4-5 months, I was sick of the way she abused her role as moderator and didn't allow others to express their opinion. She became out and out RUDE if you didn't see things the way she did. Thats unacceptable, and why I deleted the show from my DVR.

So good riddance.
    Beth

Past WDW trips:
    '83 - Contemporary
    '99 - Grad Night, offsite
    '03 - Day trip MK
    '04 - Day trip MK
    '05 - Poly LVC; POFQ Christmas trip
    '06 - Poly
    '08 - Poly
    '09 - POFQ

Share This Thread On Social Media: