Quantcast Re-Imagining of Spaceship Earth

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re-Imagining of Spaceship Earth

6/21/07

Walt Disney World Operations have extended the third set of closure dates for the Attraction refurbishment of Spaceship Earth. The new dates are:

• July 9 - November 13, 2007
    4/29/07

Disney Launches New SpaceShip Earth Website

4/27/07
    Walt Disney World Operations have announced the following closure dates for the Attraction refurbishment of Spaceship Earth:
    • May 7 - 10, 2007
    • June 22 - 23, 2007
    • July 9 - November 1, 2007
    4/25/07

The Walt Disney World resort has announced that Project Tomorrow is open to Guests as of today.

4/11/07

Epcot’s Spaceship Earth Presented by Siemens is Transformed with a “Re-Imagined” Time-Travel Adventure and a New Finale

Walt Disney World Press Release
    April 11, 2007

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- Inside the Epcot icon, remarkable changes will be taking place over the next several months. A re-imagined Spaceship Earth presented by Siemens will combine the magic of the iconic attraction's time-travel adventure into the past with a new finale which provides guests the opportunity to imagine their futures.

On a trip through time inside the Spaceship Earth attraction, guests discover how each generation of mankind has invented the future for the next generation, and how the spirit of innovation has moved people from the caves to the cosmos.

Enhancements to the time-travel attraction will encompass changes to each of the ride scenes. New show scenes will be added to the attraction's story along with new lighting effects, costumes, set decoration, narration and musical score.

This adventure through time leads ultimately to the very top of Spaceship Earth's geodesic dome, where guests arrive at the present. The time travel adventure will be enhanced through new, interactive touch screens installed aboard each "time machine" that will enable guests to create their own visions of the future and see themselves in that future.

As guests disembark the time travel experience, they are invited to visit "Project Tomorrow: Inventing the World of Tomorrow," where interactive exhibits bring to life the ideas and technologies Siemens is developing to help make the world a better place for the future.

The space is filled with fun, interactive games and displays that showcase innovative technologies. Here guests step into the world of tomorrow and glimpse the future of medicine, transportation and responsible energy management across the globe.

Opening to Epcot guests later this month, the first completed phases of Project Tomorrow will include:
    • An illuminated globe measuring 20 feet in diameter that will offer an ever-changing collage of inspirational images that invite guests to imagine the wonders of tomorrow.
    • Body Builder, a 3-D game that enables users to assemble a digital human body, simulating the Siemens technology developed to perform remote surgeries.
    • Super Driver, a driving simulation video game that showcases motor vehicle accident and avoidance systems developed by Siemens.
    With phased renovations occurring through the year, Spaceship Earth's makeover is scheduled to be fully completed in early 2008.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following has been internally announced to CastMembers and cleared for public release:
    Through a partnership with Siemens we are building upon Spaceship Earth’s existing attraction and taking it to the next level of innovation.
    • This summer, Spaceship Earth will close for renovations to combine the classic attraction time-travel adventure into the past with a new interactive conclusion. The attraction is expected to reopen in late November.
    • In late April, guests will begin to see the first phase of transformation of the Global Neighborhood into “Project Tomorrow: Inventing the World of Tomorrow.”
    • “Project Tomorrow” showcases the ideas and technologies Siemens is working on to help make the world a better place for the future. The space will be filled with fun, interactive games and displays that showcase those innovative technologies.
    • Three of five post show elements will open in late April showcasing “Project Tomorrow” at Spaceship Earth in an effort to continually enhance the overall guest experience.
    • The interactive area at Spaceship Earth will remain open during the renovations.
    • The last phase of improvements to the Spaceship Earth area will be complete by early spring 2008.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

BMan62 is offline Team INTERCOT Cast Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Jason! Something new to look forward to for our trip in Sept. 2008!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Part of me is excited about this but part of me is hoping they don't change too much. It always the first and last ride my family does when we go to Epcot and I am bummed out that it will be closed for our Halloween trip.
    Tinkerfreak
    oct./nov. 2002-AKL
    oct./nov. 2003-WL
    nov. 2004-AKL
    oct./nov. 2005-AKL
    Dec. 2006 BC
    April 2007 AKL
    oct./nov. 2007 AKL/Poly
    oct./nov. 2008 POFQ/AKL
    Nov. 2009 CBR
    May 2010 BW

Post Thanks / Like

Well I guess it's good that they are looking at updating it, I really hope they don't mess around with the first part too much. I'm disappointed that it's going to be closed during the summer.
    Rob Hinkle
    28 Visits to the Magical Vacation Kingdom of Disney World and counting!

Next Trips -
    December 2010 - WDW - Contemporary
    January 2011 - WDW - Beach Club Resort

Post Thanks / Like

While SSE definitely needs to be spruced up, I love the ride just the way it is. Part of me wishes they weren't going to change a thing, but just brighten it up here and there and refurbish the rickety track. Another part of me is excited to see the re-imagined SSE. Disney Imagineers always do a great job

Soarin' to tower: We are ready for takeoff!

1986 - Royal Plaza
    1987 - Disney Inn (Now SOG)
    1990 - CR
    1993 - POFQ
    1994, 1997 - Travelodge (now Best Western LBV)
    2001, 2002 - WL
    2004 - GF
    2007 - POR
    2008 - CSR
    2009 - Pop/Poly
    2010 - VWL
    2011 - Cruise on the Dream

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so bummed that it will be closed for our trip this year! We'll be taking my parents to Epcot for their first time and they'll miss it. On the plus side, perhaps they will be improving the comfort level of the ride vehicles!
    Rebecca
    mom of Jenna (Cindewella) & Lucy (Sleepingbooty)

Next visit: September 2010, Caribbean Beach Resort

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Hmmm. Too bad from the standpoint of IF I can manage a September trip ( no plan yet, however the breeze of an idea is blowing, but the door is not open yet) it sounds like it'll be closed.

On the other hand, as much as I like Spaceship Earth, I don't think an update would be all bad. I know, changing anything is blasphemy to a lot of people around here, but on the other hand, when I think of the possibilities, I'm actually kind of excited about it.

But first of course, we'll have to deal with all of the criticism based on the fact that something may change. I've ridden the ride, and seen the show many times, and I really enjoy the show. But, a new episode of the show could be even better.
    Marker from MO

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Outstanding. I'll get to see this in November!

That's gonna hurt summer crowds, though, having Spaceship Earth and Haunted Mansion closed at one time!
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm super excited for the renovated Spaceship Earth. I love it the way it is but I see many places for improvement. I'm looking forward to the "after-show" hands-on interactive features. That's always fun. I wonder when Spaceship Earth will be closed for refurb. I hope I don't miss out on seeing it in late May-Early June. Hopefully the musical score doesn't change too much. I really love when you're going backwards through the "tunnel of lights" and the music is just so empowering. Wheeee!
    -Stacey

"There is a natural hootchy-kootchy motion to a goldfish.”

"To all who come to this happy place, welcome." -Walter Elias Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by poeticeclipse View Post
    I'm super excited for the renovated Spaceship Earth. I love it the way it is but I see many places for improvement. I'm looking forward to the "after-show" hands-on interactive features. That's always fun. I wonder when Spaceship Earth will be closed for refurb. I hope I don't miss out on seeing it in late May-Early June. Hopefully the musical score doesn't change too much. I really love when you're going backwards through the "tunnel of lights" and the music is just so empowering. Wheeee!

God Bless, Jacquelyn M. Sheely
    (AKA: Jac, or Jazz)

VFK: DisneyJazzGirl
    POTC Online: Horizon SeaCastle
    VMK: GiltterDisneyGirl

WDW: Christmas & New Years 1986-1998/2002-2007
    Summer 03, 05, & 08/March 07 % Jan 09
    "NEXT TRIP" WDW 2010?

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have any idea when it will close?

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good. So it looks like while they might not be celebrating Epcot's 25th, they know about the date and want to have everything spruced up and get everything where it should be. I wonder if any rumors will start coming around if they will open Wonder's of Life back up to make capacity a bit more.
    ŴĐŴ∫âňăŧĭć aka David ºoº

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, please let us know when Spaceship Earth may close... I will be in WDW in May/June.. I'll catch Haunted Mansion before it closes, but, will I catch Spaceship Earth too?
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfan369
    Does anyone have any idea when it will close?
    It has yet to be specified beyond Starting in Summer - Late November

Stay tuned, we'll update the first post as soon as exact dates are released.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jason!
    Unfortunately for me, the second major closing for me this summer...
    But unlike others, I'll chalk it up for what's in store for the future!

Post Thanks / Like

i think its probably good. will hope to catch it end of May before it closes and guess i will miss it in Sept.
    thanks for the info
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

i can't wait to see the new spaceship earth in the spring of 2008. Thanks! Jason.
    JEANY SANCHEZ
    January 2022 Polynesian Village Resort

Post Thanks / Like

I'm kind of split on this. The ride could use a refurb but the old version is one of the only things that have remained constant at my favorite park over my love affair with Disney over the last decade. Hopefully they get Jeremy Irons to do the new narration.

I don't understand why they decided to close it down in the summer, however. The timing is perfect for me, since it seems like the down time will almost exactly correspond to the time between my next two trips, but it just doesn't make sense from a business perspecitve. I don't think many people will decide NOT to go to Disney because SSE and HM are closed, so you wouldn't hurt business by closing them in the off-season. Instead they close down two icons in the summer when crowds are at their peak meaning: longer lines for other rides AND people disappointed about missing out on the rides. Odd.

Also, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the awesome call-back to HORIZONS with the interactive ending.

Well, at least it's not getting turned into a roller coaster.
    Walt Disney World:
    93, PO FQ
    94-95, Caribbean
    96, Off Site
    99, Coronado
    00, Caribbean
    03, Poly & Wilderness Lodge
    04, Pop Cent
    06, Contemp
    07, Beach Club
    07, Pop Cent
    09, Pop Cent
    10, Off Site
    11, PO FQ
    12, Coronado
    13, Off Site
    14, PO FQ
    16, PO RS

Only 1110.89 miles...

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Thanks for the update Jason!
    ºoº David, Lisa, Aaron and Allison
    98-PO
    00-CB & ASMo
    01-Swan
    02-CS
    03-POR
    04-POP
    05-PO / CR
    07-PO / CR
    08-ASMu
    09-AKL
    10-CR, CS & PP DL
    11-NB DLP & SSR
    12-BLT & BLT
    13-GC DL & BLT
    15-Aulani & BLT
    16-ASMu & GC DL
    17-BWI, THV, CSR, BLT
    18-BLT, OKW, OKW, CBR, GF & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Angry

okay, now I'm ticked. my best friend has never left the state of CT before, and when we graduate we're going to disney. In july. when spaceship earth will be closed. ggrrrrrrrrr........ thats my favorite attraction! I even have the entire narration on my mp3 player i can't believe it's going to be closed!!!! I feel like screaming... I won't cuz I'm in the library... but i still want to scream at the top of my lungs. What happened to doing renovations in the off-season???
    <3 Robin

Prince Charming: It's offical. I've lost my mind. First I'm hijacked by bluebirds and now I'm talking to ...imaginary mice.

King: I do trust you son.... It's the talking mice I'm worried about...

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: