Quantcast Animal Kingdom Villas

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Animal Kingdom Villas

We are seriously considering to buying into DVC at Animal Kingdom Villas & were wondering about annual dues. Does anyone think they are going to skyrocket due to the cost of the keeping up with the animals & the grounds? Seems to me that this resort would definitely need more maintenance than the other resorts.
    many, many trips as a child
    WDW 2000 - offsite
    WDW 2001 - offsite
    WDW 2006 - Pop Century
    WDW 2007 - Poly Concierge / OKW
    October 2007- Became DVC Members!!
    February 2008 - Saratoga Springs
    May 2008 - Boardwak Villas
    August 2008 - Beach Club / Wilderness Lodge

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default DVC Dues

We have been in for awhile and saw two increases about 3% each time. We are glad we joined. Its the best thing we could have done. Our kids love it too with their kids.
    Trips planned for 2016......

January..... Offfsite... Golf outing

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by crazykids View Post
    We are seriously considering to buying into DVC at Animal Kingdom Villas & were wondering about annual dues. Does anyone think they are going to skyrocket due to the cost of the keeping up with the animals & the grounds? Seems to me that this resort would definitely need more maintenance than the other resorts.
    To answer your question more directly...yes...I believe that AKL annual dues will be the highest per point in the not too distance future...and upkeep of the animals will be the reason...

Disney has struggled with AKL...and animal kingdom in general to a certain extent...since the park's attendance declined after the first year.
    When they built AKL...they thought it was sure sell and that it could support room rates on par with the grand floridian...it has not. they've had trouble filling it from day one....for several reasons.

1. I don't think the american public likes the theme....this is just a hunch...but since it is a much nicer location than Wilderness Lodge...and they have to beat people away from there...you do the math
    2. It is perceived as "way out there". this is a completely stupid stance...as it is no farther away from the farthest point geographically than MK is from Downtown...but the perception remains.
    3. The animals are so expensive that they kill any profits that might come out of AKL.....animals in captivity are extremely expensive...especially African animals that require extensive care and maintenance.
    4. Animal Kingdom....while impressive and very expensive....is very much an incomplete park. They rushed it a little. It took 5 years to build...when they should have gone ahead and spent 2 more years and boosted the draws to the park. Even after almost 10 years of constant renovation and construction...there is much to be left desired. IF you visit somewhat frequently...you find yourself gravitating toward the exit after 4 or 5 hours...which also happens at MGM...but never seems to at MK and EPCOT.

The ironic thing ist that AKL is one of the best all around resorts at WDW...no question. the restaurants are two of the best...the pool area is second only to Y&B....and the resort itself is one of kind....much better than the contemp or polynesian...which everyone goes gah-gah for because there is a fiberglass and concrete castle in view....

Those are facts spiced up with alot of observations and opinions over the years...but the underlying logic is sound.

I think AKV points will be the highest in the near future...but I don't think they'll be so much more that it would discourage too many people...we'll have to wait and see....maybe someone who has purchased their can give you a better indication of the due costs....

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
    To answer your question more directly...yes...I believe that AKL annual dues will be the highest per point in the not too distance future...and upkeep of the animals will be the reason...
    I have to disagree with this concern. I'm quite certain the dues will go up - they tend to go up a small percentage every year or two at all the VC locations. But AKL is not strictly a VC property. Much of the property will be separate and will certainly help to pay for the upkeep of the animals. VC members will not have to pay for everything there. At the beginning, I believe the dues at AKLV are right in the middle of all the VC resorts. I find it unlikely that will change much in the next couple years - when the dues go up, they will all go up slightly, and they will go up at all resorts.

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ThanxForNoticin View Post
    I have to disagree with this concern. I'm quite certain the dues will go up - they tend to go up a small percentage every year or two at all the VC locations. But AKL is not strictly a VC property. Much of the property will be separate and will certainly help to pay for the upkeep of the animals. VC members will not have to pay for everything there. At the beginning, I believe the dues at AKLV are right in the middle of all the VC resorts. I find it unlikely that will change much in the next couple years - when the dues go up, they will all go up slightly, and they will go up at all resorts.
    I wasn't suggesting that they would be double the rates at boardwalk....just higher.
    That may be 5 cents a point...but I believe they will be higher in the future.
    The thing about an animal habitat is that the cost never goes away...so while dues are increased and used for rehabs and renovations....the presence of the animals will make the bottomline always lower at AKV than at OKW or SSR. Animals are an escalating, guaranteed cost that the other sites don't have to deal with.
    But it's just a theory...time will be the judge...

Post Thanks / Like

I strongly considered this resort as well, but settled on SSR becasue of the consistently lower maintenance fees. It seems that all of the beachy/boardwalk themed resorts are the higher of the DVC resorts fees. I mentioned this to my guide and he agreed that whenever you have real estate that requires more insurance or work to keep up, the price goes up. Therefore, we agreed it would make sense that the upkeep of not only the resort, but of the savanahas as well could lead to higher dues.
    Therefore, we didn't want to pay the extra money. We figured we could visit any time we wanted
    Have Fun Buying
    Off Property - August, 2002
    Animal Kingdom Lodge - June, 2005
    Wilderness Lodge - August, 2006
    DVC Member at Saratoga Springs- 2007
    Saratoga Springs - June, 2007
    Saratoga Springs - August, 2007

Post Thanks / Like

You know, you make a good point. The upkeep of the animals should be passed onto the guests of the non-DVC part off the AKL as well. My hunch is that Disney will pass off as much as they can get away with to DVC members. I am a member at SSR and we enjoy the lowest dues but also have the largest DVC resort with exterior hallways and more than likely lower upkeep. The trade off with lower dues is not having the ability to get some of the more popular DVC resorts during the peak season.
    Walt Disney World Trips:
    April '91, '93 Magic Kingdom with HS Band
    November '93, '03, '04, '06, '10
    January '08, December '08
    Fall '11 New Central Florida Resident
    February '10: Disney Wonder Cruise
    November '12: Disney Dream Cruise
    DVC Member since 2006
    Annual Pass Holder

Post Thanks / Like

But, we also have Downtown Disney, which i think is a huge perk! I also think that SSR is going to surprise everyone and turn out to be one of the best resorts on grounds
    Off Property - August, 2002
    Animal Kingdom Lodge - June, 2005
    Wilderness Lodge - August, 2006
    DVC Member at Saratoga Springs- 2007
    Saratoga Springs - June, 2007
    Saratoga Springs - August, 2007

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by richardsa98 View Post
    But, we also have Downtown Disney, which i think is a huge perk! I also think that SSR is going to surprise everyone and turn out to be one of the best resorts on grounds
    I hope I am surprised as I have a lot of money invested in SSR. Reason and logic says that if a resort this large does become popular Disney will invest a lot of money and effort in keeping everything up to par.
    Walt Disney World Trips:
    April '91, '93 Magic Kingdom with HS Band
    November '93, '03, '04, '06, '10
    January '08, December '08
    Fall '11 New Central Florida Resident
    February '10: Disney Wonder Cruise
    November '12: Disney Dream Cruise
    DVC Member since 2006
    Annual Pass Holder

Natazu Guest

I'm gonna go see the model room on Thursday afternoon. I'll bring this up with the sales people and report back.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: