Quantcast What should we see?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default What should we see?

We've been to Disney World at least 15 times. We know our favorites and must see here. We will have one day in July at Disney Land. We need to hit our must sees. Since we've never been to DL can someone please tell us what the must do's are here? We know a couple we want to do:

1)Space Mountain
    2) Indiana Jones (sp?)

And of course, the castle
    what else?????

Thanks for the help.
    Been there, done that, going back!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    BelleBeauty Guest

My only trips to DL have been day trips. I can honestly say that, 1 day is enough to do most (if not all) of the major attractions. Since it will be July, of course there will be crowds to deal with, but savvy WDW travelers should be able to make the rounds.

Indian Jones is a MUST see, since there is not a counterpart in WDW. GREAT ride! The Matterhorn, the original rollercoaster, is also a must due, as it is not in WDW. Totally worth the wait in line for both! The POTC here is different too, and it is interesting to see the differences. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride (RIP in WDW) is a classic that you shouldn't miss. My favorite part is experiencing the various rides that are in WDW, but in their original versions and noticing the differences.

I think with fast passes you will be able to get your fill! If you can, stick around for Fantasmic - it is a slightly different show, and feels completely different because they stage it on Tom Sawyer Island!

Post Thanks / Like

Peter Pan in Fantasyland (the ORIGINAL!) and of course Space Mountain as it's a redone and MUCH more fun version. Also Buzz Lightyear is different, Haunted Mansion, Pirates ... it's just SO different than Magic Kingdom. You will get to experience Walt's park and it's really evident. Even the character interactions are different ... it's not uncommon for Tigger to be BOUNDING through Critter Country with no handlers ... it's just very very different, so I say experience EVERYTHING you can in your 1 day at the park.
    Michael aka: NotaGeek

INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Staff
    WDW 1/6/16 - 1/11/16 - BRING ON THE COWBELLS!

Please s
    upport INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with what the others have said - try all the rides because there are differences. We just went to WDW for the first time and I was so surprised that the same rides were so unique at each park. Its fun to be able to compare and contrast the rides.

I definitely recommend doing all of the rides that aren't at WDW - like Indiana Jones, Mr. Toad's, Pinnochio, Nemo Submarines, etc. But also be sure to notice the little things that make DL special - like the light for Walt in the Fire House.

Have a great trip!
    Adults are only kids grown up...

March 2013 - Beach Club
    October 2010 - Wilderness Lodge
    September 2009 - Contemporary
    February 2009 - Yacht Club
    April 2008 - Contemporary/Grand Floridian
    October 2007 - DLR - GC -Honeymoon trip!
    March 2007 - Poly
    February 2006 - DLR - Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Belle619 View Post
    I agree with what the others have said - try all the rides because there are differences. We just went to WDW for the first time and I was so surprised that the same rides were so unique at each park. Its fun to be able to compare and contrast the rides.

I definitely recommend doing all of the rides that aren't at WDW - like Indiana Jones, Mr. Toad's, Pinnochio, Nemo Submarines, etc. But also be sure to notice the little things that make DL special - like the light for Walt in the Fire House.

Have a great trip!
    Can you tell me more about the light for Walt in the Fire House? Thanks
    Been there, done that, going back!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetpea29488 View Post
    Can you tell me more about the light for Walt in the Fire House? Thanks
    There is a lamp which still burns in tribute to Walt in the window of Walt and Lillian's apartment above the Fire House.

An acknowledgment is a must do for any true Disney fan.

Post Thanks / Like

Others I would catch are:

Roger Rabbit Cartoon Spin (only at DLR)

New Orleans Square (Pieces of Eight Shop, the Pirate Band, Jack Sparrow character signing, the other restaurants there, the Ornament Shop (can't remember those type), the Disney Gallery above Pirates is great (look up at the balcony and can see the WD and RD initials in the railing), walk into Blue Bayou and just look around)

Pirate Island (Tom Sawyer's Island) is opening up when the movie opens

Alice in Wonderland Ride (I didn't realize WDW only had the tea cups)

Small World (I love the outside with all the topiaries).

In DCA, Monsters Inc, Screamin' or Mulholland Madness is not at WDW which is worth seeing.

Post Thanks / Like

I am a WDWer myself and made my first trip to Disneyland in January of this year, here's what I can tell you.

As already stated, POTC and Space Mountain are much better versions at DL, so even though you've been on them at WDW, you should go on them at DL. Speaking of POTC, there's a restaurant that POTC goes past called the Blue Bayou, it is a very good and very popular (and expensive) restaurant, you may want to make ADR's for that, of course eating here would take a lot more time out of your day than a fast food place. Just note that it is nearly impossible to get in there without an advance reservation, everyone rides the POTC, sees the restaurant, and says "let's go there for lunch" thinking they can just get right in, they can't.

Splash Mountain is a little different here, with a 4th song sequence, and more characters. For the most part it's the same. I do think WDW's is better though, so this should be on your backburner.

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad offers a similar experience to it's FL cousin, but it is not 100%identical, I really have no preference on one over the other. Backburner here too.

Here's some things at DL you can't find at WDW:
    Adventureland
    Indiana Jones
    The "original" tiki room (aka "Old" management")
    Frontierland
    A petting zoo, which is fun, but again it's just a petting zoo, of special note, however, are the "nationally pardoned" turkeys that the president pardons at Thanksgiving, you can't pet them, but you can still see them.
    Tommorrowland
    Not much (besides Space) worth mentioning here, but rides from other WDW parks (besides the magic kingdom) can be found here, like Honey I Shrunk the Audience, Star Tours, and Innoventions, along with a monorail station, IN THE PARK.
    I almost forgot though, the Nemo subs will be open, this should be the first (or last) thing you go on. It has a low capacity, no Fastpass, and will be the "new" attraction while you are there.
    New Orleans Square
    Pretty much takes the place of liberty square here, other than POTC and Haunted Mansion, this land doesn't have much.
    Critter Country
    Has Splash Mountain and Winnie the Pooh, this is essentially on the far side of the rivers of america, Splash Mountain is basically in the same place at both parks.
    Main Street USA
    The Railroad station at this park has 4 stations (Main Street, New Orleans Square, Toontown, and Tommorrowland, in that order), between the Tommorrowland and Main Street stations, is a Dinosaur exhibit that I don't think WDW has, so that's something to consider.
    Toontown
    Roger Rabbit and "Gadget's go Coaster" (a kiddie coaster) are the two big things here, neither of which are at DL.
    Fantasyland I saved the best for last!!!
    Matterhorn, the first steel coaster ever built.
    Alice in Wonderland, Mr Toad's Wild ride, and Pinnochios daring journey are here, along with Peter Pan and Snow White.
    There is also "Storybook land" which has minature set ups of villages from Disney movies, like Peter Pan and Cinderella. There are two ways to see this, one is the canal boats, a slow boat ride that gives you a close up view, and Casey Jr Circus train, which zips back and forth through Storybook land, but not slow enough for you to see it.

Well, I think that about covers it. You weren't planning on squeezing in California Adventure were you? That park, although nice, is mostly clones (or has clones) of attractions at WDW, like Soarin', It's Tough to be a bug, Tower of Terror, and Muppet Vision 3d. There is Califronia Screamin', a fun fast roller coaster (the one whose loop is the head of mickey mouse) but it's really not special, like Rock N Roller Coaster. The only other big attractions here would be Aladdin's musical and Monsters inc, a fantasyland style dark ride.

Have a good time!
    1988- Off site
    1989- Off site
    1990- WDW Hilton & Swan
    1997- Dixie Landings (now Port Orleans Riverside)
    2005- Shades of Green
    June 2006- Pop Century
    Jan 2007- Disneyland- Disneyland Hotel
    Jan 2010- Disneyland- Double Tree Orange
    Oct 2010- Disneyland- Off site
    Sept 2011- All Star Sports

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: