Quantcast Some comments on Whispering Canyon...

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Some comments on Whispering Canyon...

Well, we ate there last week. Two words: NEVER AGAIN. I have never been in a noisier restaurant in my life. It took over 2 hours 30 minutes to eat here - the food was just OK - the service was perfecly horrible. All the screaming about ketchup! All the silly games for the ADULTS! Games for children - FINE, but don't drag the ADULTS into some stupid skit. Once, our waitress disappeared for 40 solid minutes. Finally, all of our teens left the table for the parks, leaving us to pay the bill and ask for our desserts "to go." I have been to this restaurant before and had nice, fun, pleasant time. In fact, we ate here the DAY IT OPENED, and were interviewed by the Orlando Sentinel (had our picture in full color in the paper). But again I say - NEVER AGAIN. Who needs the noise and confusion, mediocre food and terrible service???
    "I wanted something alive, something that could grow. Something I can keep plussing with ideas. You see? The park is that. Not only can I add things but even the trees will keep growing. The thing will get more beautiful every year."

Walt Disney

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

i like it.
    makes me feel like im back at home.
    16 FW, SS
    15 CS, FW
    14 CS,FW,POR
    13 BCW
    12 BC
    11 BC
    10 FW
    09 DEC
    08 FW,POR
    07 OK, SS, CBR, POR
    06 POLY,AS,FW,YC
    05 SS,FW
    04 GF,CR,POLY,POP,ASM
    03 BC,WL
    02 AKL
    01 WLV,GF
    00 BC
    99 POLY, POR
    98 CS,BW
    97 C
    96 FQ,OK
    95 CB,BW
    94 WL
    93 OKW
    92 DL
    91 RMG
    90 RMG
    83 TH
    76 V
    71 HI

Post Thanks / Like

I have never really had any want to eat there, but that is because being yelled at and teased and stuff like that doesn't sound like much fun to me! :P
    AKA Courtney

"To all that come to this happy place: welcome...Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future.."

Most Recent Trips:
    September 2007 - Pop Century
    September 2011 - Pop Century
    January 2012 - Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

heh. well. that's kinda why one GOES to whispering canyon (you didn't think it was quiet because it's called whispering, did ya?).

it's absolutely one of my favorite restaurants. for dinner, mind you. lunch and breakfast are much more subdued, disappointingly so.

Post Thanks / Like

I went there twice, and my DH didn't care for it. However, I can agree with you on the terrible service. Our server was SO rude
    The food was OK. Next time we dine there, we are thinking breakfast instead of dinner!
    College Program Spring 05
    6/92-Tree House Villas
    5/98-Poly
    5/01-ASM
    1/05-Pop
    3/05-OKW
    5/05-SS
    5/06-ASMus
    1/07- Honeymoon at the Boardwalk!
    6/07- OKW
    11/07-Babymoon Pop/Poly
    12/08-Christmas at the Poly! DS 1st Christmas and Disney Trip!

Post Thanks / Like

I can HONESTLY say that WDW has the loudest restaurants I've ever been in.....in my life...that INCLUDES my H.S. cafeteria...

.....and no, I'm not joking.
    WDW is my happy place

Post Thanks / Like

Default Whispering Canyon

Gimme a break... If you know anything about WDW the resaurants are very appropriately named. Its a family get together with the emphasis on kids and all types of folks having fun. If you want quiet, either check the dining reviews or eat in your room!
    Trips planned for 2016......

January..... Offfsite... Golf outing

Post Thanks / Like

Just a tip if you do not like Whispering Canyon, don't ever go to Prime Time Cafe!

I love Whispering Canyon. We actually got the same server 2 years in a row. He sat at our table and chatted with us and messed with our kids. They LOVED the attention!
    ~Lisa aka Tinkermom

DVC Member since 05/01

Most Recent Trips:
    12/28/12-1/4/13 OKW to watch our son and his HS marching band on Main Street on NYE!
    7/13/12-7/17/12 Vero Beach & 7/17/12-7/23/12 WLVs

Next up: 5/28-6/12 Vero Beach (Beach Cottage!)/Fort Myers/Treehouse Villas

Post Thanks / Like

This is one of our favorite places! We love the rowdiness and the whole atmosphere. We had a server who wasn't totally into it, one time we went and we were disappointed. We are definitely going back on our trip In October.

To each his own.
    Bethie aka BethieTink

DVC Member 2006 - BCV

Upcoming - Oct 09 - 1 night at AKL, 7 night Eastern Carribean Cruise on the Magic, 3 nights at BCV

Last Trip - Jan 09 - MLK Weekend at WLV

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. It's always so disappointing to find things different than you expect them. I was going to say a little advance research may have saved you, but you added that you have been there before, so this is just unfortunate.

Apparently, it is a really noisy boisterous place, and some people like it that way. It has probably gotten louder and more boisterous through the years in response to the guests who go there to enjoy the shtick. I've never been, because I have read the reviews and that kind of thing is not for me, either. Better luck next trip with the restaurant choices!
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for your bad experience. Whispering Canyon is one of my favorite restaurants. I love the food, and have no problem with the fun and noise, but I could not possibly defend your server for not attending you for 40 minutes. Obviously the staffing was not up to the task that day. My only question is why no one warned you ahead of time about the atmosphere at Whispering Canyon? It might have deterred you from goin there in the first place. Better luck next time.
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say while there is no excuse for the bad service. The noise and games are part of the dining experience. It allows pareants to have fun with their children
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

That's too bad about the service you had. Perhaps they were just having an off day. We have enjoyed going there on everyt trip. And we plan on going this trip too. I always make DH order ketchup for his potatoes. I think it's fun to sit in the lobby and listen to all of the commotion.

But I can understand how some people might think it's too loud and how it wouldn't be their favorite. I personally can't wait to go back. Is it Spetember yet!?
    Alicia

1980 & 1984 - Off site
    1990 & May 2009 - Caribbean Beach Resort
    Jan 2001 (honeymoon) and Nov 2004 - Wilderness Lodge
    Sept 2005 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    Sept 2007 - Polynesian Resort

Next Trip: May 2010 - Polynesian (for our 10 year anniversary)

Post Thanks / Like

The last time we ate there, it so scarred my son that I will never be able to get him near it again!! I had been there several times, had fun and enjoyed the food and the servers. This last time, we ate at sort of an off time -- a bit late for lunch, a bit early for dinner. Service was pretty horrible considering there weren't that many full tables.

My son is pretty good natured, but the waitress tried to "fix him up" with a little girl at the next table repeatedly. At the tender age of 9, this was mortifying to him as girls are still sort of a scary thing.
    He was obviously uncomfortable with that line of teasing, but she wouldn't stop. My son looked like he wanted to dig a hole in the ground and not come out and the little girl at the next table seemed quite embarassed. It was a pretty rough lunch......

I am hoping to stay at WL on our next trip, and DS says "NOOOOOOOOOOOO, PLEASE!!!" every time I mention it. I keep telling him that staying there does not mean you have to eat there -- LOL
    Jen

Always ready to talk Disney
    Grand Floridian**Contemporary**Polynesian**Wilderness Lodge**Yacht Club**Dolphin**Port Orleans French Quarter**All Star Movies**All Star Music**POP Century**Disney Wonder**Disney Magic**Disney Dream**VWL**Old Key West**Animal Kingdom Lodge**Bay Lake Tower

Post Thanks / Like

I have to partially agree with the OP. The restaurant was fun for a while, but it got really tedious after an hour or so. If they would do their skits and stuff and then give it a rest, I would be happy to go back. The constant noise wound the grandkids tighter than a cheap clock, and gave me a pounding headache. The food was OK, and our server was very nice to the little ones.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Granny Jill A View Post
    I have to partially agree with the OP. The restaurant was fun for a while, but it got really tedious after an hour or so. If they would do their skits and stuff and then give it a rest, I would be happy to go back. The constant noise wound the grandkids tighter than a cheap clock, and gave me a pounding headache. The food was OK, and our server was very nice to the little ones.

This is how I feel about WCC -- it's fun for a while but not for a solid hour so it takes to have dinner there.

OP-- I am sorry you were so disappointed. I know I would be furious to have such bad service.
    ~ Christine

Post Thanks / Like

It's been four years since our last visit to WL. We have been to Whispering Canyon several times over the years. We were looking forward to our next visit. I do recall that it is noisy..but we already know that and don't expect a quiet dining experience. I am more concerned with the poor service than any of the antics that usually accompany the meal. THAT is what would bother me more than anything. I'm sorry for your experience and do hope that it was an off night as far as service is concerned. Myself..I'd be up and looking for a wait person who dissappeared for 40 minutes...I am not patient enough to wait for their return..and I would also speak to a manager about a waiter/waitress I hadn't seen in over 40 minutes. They should know about situations like that so they can make the necessary corrections to ensure it doesn't happen again. It is particulary important given the ADR's guest need to make.You would think waitstaff would pushing the diners through their meals too quickly..rather than forgetting about them altogether.
    Phyllis

Post Thanks / Like

I've only been to WCC once. I really liked the atmosphere. As a matter of fact, since it was me and my wife only, they thought they were doing us a favor by putting us away from the action back where the fireplace is. I wanted to be where the action was! Next time we go, I'm asking for a table out in the action.

The food I got was OK. I got the all you can eat skillet and thought it was OK. But the all you can drink milkshakes were great. I'd try something different to eat next time but look forward to the fun atmosphere with my kids nex time.
    Gawrsh

1979 - Polynesian Village
    1988 - Treehouses
    1990 - Treehouses
    1997 - Disney Institute Villas/Yacht and Beach Club
    1999 - Disney Institute Villas
    2001 - Carribean Beach
    2004 - Port Orleans Riverside
    2007 - Pop Century
    2010 - Offsite/Port Orleans Riverside
    2014 - Offsite

Share This Thread On Social Media: