Quantcast Stroller help for 7 year old. Maclaren Volo?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Stroller help for 7 year old. Maclaren Volo?

I want to get a stroller for my daughter because I do not think she will make it all day in the parks until 10:00pm. I want to buy one instead of renting. This way others can borrow it when they go to Disney I did not waste my money on just a rental. I was looking at the Maclaren Volo. My daughter is 48" and about 48 pounds.I was hoping that someone could tell me how they work for a child that size. Are they easy to push?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Is that stroller able to handle a child over 40 lbs? Most strollers that you can purchase only hold a child up to 40 lbs. If it can't, I'd say rent one of the ones from the parks.

Post Thanks / Like

bump

Post Thanks / Like

bump

Post Thanks / Like

Are you sure that your DD will want to ride in a stroller at 7 YO? My DS at 6 loved the fact that his brother had one at WDW. He loved the free rides. But when he turned 7, he wanted nothing to do with the stroller.

Ask your DD and see.
    Brian (aka CanadianWDWFan)
    INTERCOT Staff:Theme Parks, The Water Cooler & Trip Reports
    DVC-BWV, Riviera
    Next Trip:DLR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianWDWFan View Post
    Are you sure that your DD will want to ride in a stroller at 7 YO? My DS at 6 loved the fact that his brother had one at WDW. He loved the free rides. But when he turned 7, he wanted nothing to do with the stroller.

Ask your DD and see.
    I was wondering the same thing. My DD 5 only spent about a third of the trip in the stroller last year, and most of that was near the end of the week. This year she will be walking.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Post Thanks / Like

Ceblanc you may also have to wait a little longer to get an answer. It's a pretty specific question you have and another owner of the stroller with a 7 year old may take a while to wonder by. As you can see by the views of your post (99 when I looked in) many are looking at your question..they may just not have your answer yet)
    Natalie
    Feb 2001 off site Jan 2002 All star movies Dec 2002 All star sports jan-04 Poly Nov 2004 pofq Nov 2005 Pors Mar 06 at PORS CBR Dec 2006 POR sept 21-30 2007 oct 2008 poly and akl, dec 2008 pop and VWL

Post Thanks / Like

Default Partial answer.....

I cannot speak about a 7 yo, cause I do not have one....yet.

But as for the Volo, I can. We just purchased one for our DD4 to use on our trip in May. It is all it is cracked up to be. Lightweight, umbrella style, and the shoulder carry strap attached! Huge bonus for me, since I am the pack mule that will most likely be carrying it around when it is not in use.

The handles have a foam padding, it drives steady, turns easily and has a very solid feel to it. Nothing flimsy about it.

What I see to be the big bonus is the amount of lightweight material and mesh that is used in the stoller. The "impact parts", or the places where your child will physically touch the stoller for lack of a better term, are limited to the seat and upper back/shoulders. And it is more of a thin cloth sheathing, almost winbreaker like material, than the fully padded heavy material used in most stollers (including the Maclaren Triumph). And the lower/mid back areas are resting on breathable mesh. With the hot days coming, I think this is going to be a nice feature.

As for weight, I belive it can hold a 50 lb child, but do not quote me on that.

As for drawbacks, with the hood attached, the stoller does not completely "umbrella" when closed. The hood only bends so far. For a rough guess, I would say it colapses about 80-85%, but the hood can only collapse to about a 10 inch wide curve without being forced smaller. And as for opening and closing, it is foot activated. Opening I find easy, but closing, I kinda have to "work it" a litle. But that just could be the operator. Lastly, the Volo does not recline, it has only 1 seating position.

All in all, I love this thing, and my DD loves it too since she was able to pick out the color! Just another added bonus.
    1970-1990 Disneyland - 4 Day Trips
    1980-2001 WDW - 6 Day Trips
    2007 Polynesian (First Resort Stay!)
    2008 Polynesian - planning

GO HOKIES!

All my thoughts and prayers...
    Rest in Peace fellow Hokies
    04-16-2007

Post Thanks / Like

Default another site says 55lbs.

I don't have this stroller, but another site has a weight limit of 55 lbs. posted. I don't know if that is total, or just the kids' weight. I have 3 kids, and neither my 6 1/2 yr old DS or my 4 1/2 yr old DD used a stroller on our last trip, despite 5 days at the parks going almost all day each day. My barely 2 yr old only used her's half the time. So I highly doubt you'll need one. Of course you know what will work best in your circumstances. I hope this information helps. Have a great trip.

Post Thanks / Like

I looked at this earlier, but did not want to be the first one to say, I don't know that you want to have a 7 y/o in a stroller.

We decided that last Sept we would TAKE the stroller, however we left it in the room except for ONE night, and it was for about three hours.....DS asked if we could take it back to the park with us b/c his legs were tired. When we told him maybe we should just stay at the hotel, he said no, he just needed to ride in the stroller for a little while.....and he walked for almost the entire time, then got in and crashed, so he used to to sleep was all.

In December last year I took him (without daddy and his strong arms ) and we did fine without it.

That said, we are pretty much commando park goers, so I would imagine that your DD could handle it. If not, you could always rent one for a day or two, which I know is not what you want to do.

Also, another suggestion......we go for walks as a family, so maybe try starting a walking regiment before you go and see how she does with that. I know you can't simulate an entire day at Disney, but if she can walk for about 20 minutes at a clip, she should be ok......she can "rest" on the rides or while in the shows.

Of course, these are just my opinions. I'm hoping someone with the particular stroller comes by and fully answers your question.
    *May '92 Day trip fr. Daytona
    *Aug '94/July 01 offsite
    *July 01 Offsite
    *2005, 06, 06, 07, 08, 09, 11SOG
    *Sept 05 AKL
    *Sept/Oct 06 POFQ
    *Dec 08 AKL
    *Oct/Nov 12 Wyndham BC
    *Oct 13 CBR
    *July 14- weekend trips from Daytona
    *July 15- day trips from Daytona
    *Oct 15 CST

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Maclaren Volo that I use for our 3 year old, but I don't think it'd work well for our older daughter, who is 6 1/2. She weighs about 46 to 48 pounds. She has sat down in it before and it looks to me like the stroller is straining. She just seems too big for it (my 3 year old actually is getting big for it as well. We'll just continue to rent a double at the parks.
    Rebecca
    mom of Jenna (Cindewella) & Lucy (Sleepingbooty)

Next visit: September 2010, Caribbean Beach Resort

Post Thanks / Like

We just bought the Maclaren Triumph. We got it for DD's 4 & 6 to share. I love it. It is comfortable, easy to push and easy to use. I highly recommend it.We looked at the Volo but decided it really didn't recline enough. Go to the store and try one out. It's alot to spend. Good luck!!
    April 29-May 3- Coronado springs! Engage celeb
    Feb 21-March 1- DCL Bahamas/PORS Royal guest
    November 15th-22nd Marriott's Grande Villas
    May 2-5th Wilderness Lodge surprise engagement!
    Nov 27th-Dec 4rd 2012- Art Of Animation
    March 7-13th 2012 Fort Wilderness cabin
    100+ since 1977

Post Thanks / Like

We took our boys (4 and 6.5 years at the time) to a theme park last year without the stroller. By hour number 6, they were exhausted! We did the rented stroller- and the 6.5 yo didn't bat an eye... I think it's because it didn't look like a "baby stroller" to him. It's got a sunshade, a leg extension, and quite honestly, looks like something I might like to ride in- LOL!

For what it's worth, the strollers (both single and doubles) look awkward, but are amazingly easy to push/manuver. And, they provide the great outstretched front for their legs (so they aren't dangling). The perk? You don't have to lug it to/from the parks/bus stop, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

There are many reasons why we want to use a stroller. One being that we know she will get tired. The next is that we have four children and it is easier to keep an eye on all of them if the youngest is in a stroller at times. The last is that with four children there is a lot of stuff to carry and a stroller helps. I would still appreciate hearing from people who could tell me if this stroller works well for a 48 pound child. Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey's Pal View Post
    For what it's worth, the strollers (both single and doubles) look awkward, but are amazingly easy to push/manuver. And, they provide the great outstretched front for their legs (so they aren't dangling). The perk? You don't have to lug it to/from the parks/bus stop, etc.
    Don't know about particular brands, but that pushing/maneuvering capability is a BIG deal; definitely try whatever you're considering out first...right Just2Mickey?
    91 Co
    8 M
    00,1,2 S
    3 CB 25
    4 P,Mu,AKL
    5 S
    6 Pp,CB,G 30
    7 S/D,CB
    8 CB,G 30
    9 Mu,CBP/Or,P
    10 CBP,P
    11 Mu,Do/Ret,P
    12 Mu,CB,AA AK
    13 P 35
    14 P,CB,Mu
    15 P,FQ,C,M,S

Post Thanks / Like

For a child that age and weight I think you best (and maybe only) option is a rental at the parks. They are roomy, comfy, hold a much higher weight and are very easy to push and manuever.In 2005, we rented a double and I could even sit in it. I also believe that renting one through a multi day rental will be way cheaper than buying one and I think your child will be happier with the rental version because it is more big kid friendly. Our trip in Jan. my 5 year old daughter did exceptional walkin all day(and night) each day,BUT our back up plan if neede was to rent a stroller there. We rented on our trip when she was 4, and it worked fine for her and our big 7 year old son also rode a few times for fun and it was perfect for a tall 50+lb 7 year old. After using the rentals for two trips we never considered bringing our own again.
    Kim, Mom of Two Russian Angels

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have the Volo but I do have a MacLaren Opus (I think, we bought it in 1999 for 1st WDW trip with DD) we brought it back with us last year when DD was 7 and about 60#'s or so. Sure, she looked a little big for it but who cares, she was comfortable.

BTW - stroller use is personal and you should do what works best for you and your family. Who cares what anyone else thinks, it is your kid and your vacation.

Our Maclaren was rated for up to 55-60 #'s. It was a little hard to steer on extreme turns but other than that it did fine.

We did not use it every day, however the 2 days that DD was feeling under the weather it was a life saver and we used it without any real issues. We also used it for a couple of late nights.

Is there a store near you where you can go test drive it? If so, that is what I would do.

Good Luck and happy planning
    MamaCatNV
    Married 19 yrs Mom to:
    DS 17 & DD 8

POFQ-1/1-1/9/07- No More NYE for Awhile
    ASMu-Dec 05/Jan 06 - NYE
    ASSp-Dec 99/Jan 00 - NYE/Turn of the Century
    DL lived near too many visits to count

Post Thanks / Like

ive been goign to WDW since i was 6 months. I'm 18 now, so i cant really help you pick a stroller but i can tell you this:

i used a stroller til i was 7, and my parents loved it! they would put all their stuff in it, and i would just sit back and relax. i never complained of being tired and i thoroughly enjoyed not having to walk.

i will say, renting a stroller looks like a not too bad idea. they are really strong, and if you get a double, you can put even more stuff in it. i know when i, wathcing parades, and if i find an abandoned stroller (at night) i sit in it, and its very comfy, even though im obviously way too big for it.

enjoy your vacation!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 5 (almost 6) year old daughter who weighs about 43 lbs. We have the McClaren Volo for her and it is THE BEST! We bought it about 2 years ago for a trip, and it is everything it says and more.

My daughter rides in it and also walks sometimes. We have used it twice at WDW and many times on other trips, and wouldn't be without it! We bought the bare-bones one without the hood or anything, and it works just fine for us- especially since she's in and out of it so much.

It folds up very easily and also has a carrying strap to put it over your shoulder. Another plus are the higher handles- no bending in half to push the stroller! I think you'll be very pleased with it.

just2mickey Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mickeys_princess_mom View Post
    Don't know about particular brands, but that pushing/maneuvering capability is a BIG deal; definitely try whatever you're considering out first...right Just2Mickey?
    Amen to that !!!!!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: