Quantcast Boston?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Boston?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boston?

Hi All,
    My husband surprised me with a birthday spring break trip to Boston. I know very little about the area- any must do's? suggestions? I am open to anything!
    "See, it's just like I told you. Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart. And the best part is you'll never run out of Wishes. They're shining deep down inside of you. And that, my friends, is where the magic lives."Jiminy Cricket
    Our wish came true! Ellie 9/9/13

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is some info on Boston.

We liked doing the Freedom Trail, eating at the Market and watching the street performers. If you do the Freedom Trail and do all of the stops it could take you a whole day easy. The Omni was a great hotel with a wonderful location. The beds were like heaven! If you have time Salem is less than an hour away and also has alot to see.

How long will you be there?

http://www.intercot.com/discussion/s...d.php?t=170286
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quincy Market - fresh produce/seafood bartering
    Faneuil hall
    Newbury street - rich people shopping
    Duck boat tours
    Trolley tours - my fav is Old town trolley
    Children's museum
    Museum of fine arts
    Museum of science
    Stroll through boston Garden/common
    Tour Iron sides (constitution)
    evening boat tour of boston harbor
    Sam adams brewery tour
    freedom trail
    tour fenway park
    boston garden - home of celtics, bruins
    Harvard yard
    Cambridge
    North end, old north church, MIKE'S PASTRIES on Hanover street!!!
    any restaurant in the north end for great italian food
    Touristy food- Hard rock cafe ( don't like the decor) Cheers right by boston common, legal seafood (too expensive)
    The buttery Shawmut ave in the south end
    Southie if you are here March 17th
    Dolphin & POFQ 2010

POFQ 2008

ALL STAR MUSIC August 2007

POP August 2006

Coronado Springs 2005

DCL trip December 2005

WDW DOLPHIN July 2004

WDW DOLPHIN JUNE 2002

WDW DOLPHIN March 1998

WDW OFF PROPERTY March 1994

DL Honeymoon 1987

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with the great suggestions above!

If you are in Boston from March 18 - 23rd and March 25th - 30th, you'll be here during Restaurant Week. That's the best way to try out the most expensive restaurants in Boston for a steal. Basically, 2 course lunches are about $15 per person, 3 course lunches are about $21 per person and 3 course dinners are about $33 per person. These are mainly restaurants where the entree alone is more than $30. There's a website for Boston Restaurant Week that will give you all the details and also let you make reservations. Reservations are highly recommended.

Ruth's Chris steakhouse is a great restaurant for fine dining because the restaurant is in the old city hall - where JFK used to have his offices - a lot of charm.

Great hotel to check out for a drink - Liberty Hotel - that's the old Charles Street Jail that has been turned into a BEAUTIFUL upscale hotel, but still holds onto the history. Great to get a drink in the lobby and walk around and explore.

Duck Tours are a great way to quickly see the best parts of the city - although I am not sure what sort of schedule they have for March.

Great tours at Sam Adams and Harp breweries. Both are different and both have free beer!

The Public Gardens and Common are great to walk through on a pleasant day (although the Gardens are not up to their grandeur of the summer).

Good laughs and cheap seats at Improv Boston.

Faneuil Hall is also fun to explore and shop.

The Museum of Science is fun, a little bit for kids, but if you like geckos they have a fantastic live exhibit there now, plus an IMAX.

There's also the Aquarium (also with an IMAX).

If you venture up to Cambridge, Harvard Square is a fun place to explore as well.

Boston is a fun city - ENJOY!
    '85-Disney Village Hilton; '87-Poly; '88-Day Trip-Disneyland; '89-GF; '94-GF; '97-ASMu; '98-Dixielandings; '02-CBR; '03-Offsite; '03-ASMo; '04-WL; '04-Offsite; '05-POFQ; '06-POFQ; '08-POP; '09-POP; '11-POP; '13-Day Trip-HS; Up next: Oct. '14-Day Trip-MK

Post Thanks / Like

If you like Chinese food, go to Chinatown and order shrimp with lobster sauce. It's not like the eggy sauce we get in the Philly surrounding area. This is a hearty, meaty sauce that is amazing. It is a family tradition for us. We can't go to Boston without getting "SLS."

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot about 2 more great things to do!

Free Activity - the USS Constitution. It's the world's oldest commissioned warship and is still in service today. The ship saw action in the War of 1812 and is still fully functional today (they take her out in the harbor every 4th of July). Technically, she could still be called back into action, but for now the all navy crew is happy to give tours of the ship. Our tour guides were well-informed, personable and really funny!

Tickets are free, but can sell out because they're first come, first serve. You should be fine in March, though. Plus, there's always the option of picking up the tickets in the morning for an afternoon tour or starting off your day there. I think in the winter they open around 10am and go until about 4pm.

ALSO, if you love movies - Boston Movie Tours is GREAT. There have been a lot of movies filmed here from the Departed to Bride Wars to The Town to Good Will Hunting. We took this with family who was visiting from NJ a little over a year ago and we loved it. Our guide was great (it was around Halloween so he was dressed up like Zach Galafanakis from the Hangover), and was a real movie expert. They have quizzes on the coach bus as you go from location to location and also show movie clips of the location you're about to arrive at. If you're into movies, this is a fun way to see the city!
    '85-Disney Village Hilton; '87-Poly; '88-Day Trip-Disneyland; '89-GF; '94-GF; '97-ASMu; '98-Dixielandings; '02-CBR; '03-Offsite; '03-ASMo; '04-WL; '04-Offsite; '05-POFQ; '06-POFQ; '08-POP; '09-POP; '11-POP; '13-Day Trip-HS; Up next: Oct. '14-Day Trip-MK

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mfarquar View Post
    I forgot about 2 more great things to do!

Free Activity - the USS Constitution. It's the world's oldest commissioned warship and is still in service today. The ship saw action in the War of 1812 and is still fully functional today (they take her out in the harbor every 4th of July). Technically, she could still be called back into action, but for now the all navy crew is happy to give tours of the ship. Our tour guides were well-informed, personable and really funny!

Tickets are free, but can sell out because they're first come, first serve. You should be fine in March, though. Plus, there's always the option of picking up the tickets in the morning for an afternoon tour or starting off your day there. I think in the winter they open around 10am and go until about 4pm.

ALSO, if you love movies - Boston Movie Tours is GREAT. There have been a lot of movies filmed here from the Departed to Bride Wars to The Town to Good Will Hunting. We took this with family who was visiting from NJ a little over a year ago and we loved it. Our guide was great (it was around Halloween so he was dressed up like Zach Galafanakis from the Hangover), and was a real movie expert. They have quizzes on the coach bus as you go from location to location and also show movie clips of the location you're about to arrive at. If you're into movies, this is a fun way to see the city!

We did the USS Constitution tour (I think it's one of the last stops on the Freedom Trail) and really loved it. The guides made the tour fun and interesting. If I remember correctly, they are in the military. It was worth the line we had to wait in.

The movie tour sounds like fun too!
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, you're right - they're active navy personnel! They told us they get stationed there at 2 years at a time - best gig in the navy!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mfarquar View Post
    Yes, you're right - they're active navy personnel! They told us they get stationed there at 2 years at a time - best gig in the navy!
    They were so personalbe and interacted with each other too!
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

My brother in law was a flight attendant based out of Boston. He loved it there and it was my mother in laws favorite place to visit.

Can't wait to hear how you like it. I may plan a trip there in the next few years.
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katzateer View Post
    My brother in law was a flight attendant based out of Boston. He loved it there and it was my mother in laws favorite place to visit.

Can't wait to hear how you like it. I may plan a trip there in the next few years.
    If you like Old City in Philly, you will love Boston.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much for the great advice and suggestions! We are going around Easter- for about 3 nights, 4 days.

We are staying a few minutes out of the city and hope to take the "T" around the city and getting in some walking.

I have heard about the great food in the North End....any favorites?

We love to tour breweries- Who doesnt love free beer? We had Sam Adams on our list, but will add Harper as well!

How is the Paul Revere House?

Cant wait to go to the Market and Faneuil Hall!

We wanted to go to a Red Sox game (even though we are Yankee diehards!) but the season doesnt begin until after we leave

Thanks for all your help!
    "See, it's just like I told you. Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart. And the best part is you'll never run out of Wishes. They're shining deep down inside of you. And that, my friends, is where the magic lives."Jiminy Cricket

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bethanymouse View Post
    How is the Paul Revere House?
    We went to the Revere house. It's one of the stops on the Freedom Trail. So is the Old North Church. You can also tour the Boston Tea Party ship.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for everyone's help! We had a great time! Lots of sightseeing and lots and lots of walking! We saw everything we wanted to plus some!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for everyone's help! We had a great time! Lots of sightseeing and lots and lots of walking! We saw everything we wanted to plus some!
    Did you try any Italian places in the North End? We used to eat at a place called Giacomo's--I just love the food there!
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

How about a trip report?
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

I will try to find time to squeeze in a mini- trip report lol!

We did eat in the north end. It was a really cute brick oven pizza place...unfortunately, I dont remember the name!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: