Quantcast Question About Transfering DVC Points

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question About Transfering DVC Points

Hi all,
    I'm a week or so away from being able to make reservations for my trip next year at our home resort, BLT. I would like to rent a 2BR for 2 weeks, but need an additional 189 points. My question is - if I make arrangements with another DVC member to transfer points into my account, do the points have to be for 2010 use year? I currently have 2009 points that I will bank, I will be using all of 2010 points and also borrowing my 2011 points. Do the transfer points have to be 2010 use year or if they are 2009 use year can I just bank them with the rest of my points?

Thanks!
    See You Real Soon!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I beleive that year and home resort stay with the points. The month changes to your account however. So, A member transfers 2009 points (use year Feb) to you (use year June). I think the points are 2009 points and will get a June use year.

You could bank those like any other points you have for 2009 and use them for travel in your 2010 use year. BUT they would not be able to be booked at the 11 month window unless they are home resort at the resort you are intending to stay at.

You're in a little bit of a confusing situation I think, but it's manageable... I'm not sure how you can verify that the points being trnasferred to you are in what year before it happens. I've neer done any transferring, so I'm not sure how that all works.

Post Thanks / Like

The rules for transferring points ar on page 13 of the 2009 Vacation Planner. Most of what DizneyRox said is correct. According to the book, "The Vacation Points retain the Use Yaer and Home Resort Priority of the Membership they were transferred from." So, in DizneyRox's example, the points you get from another member would retain the February use year, even if your use year is June. Remember that this means a different banking deadline than you are used to.

I hope it all works out for you.
    WDW Visitor since 1973, DVC member since 2000

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FiggyFan View Post
    The rules for transferring points ar on page 13 of the 2009 Vacation Planner. Most of what DizneyRox said is correct. According to the book, "The Vacation Points retain the Use Yaer and Home Resort Priority of the Membership they were transferred from." So, in DizneyRox's example, the points you get from another member would retain the February use year, even if your use year is June. Remember that this means a different banking deadline than you are used to.

I hope it all works out for you.
    If they retain the full use year, then remember those would expire in Feb of 2010 as well. And it's possible that you wouldn't even be able to bank them since they may be past the banking window.

I'm a little fuzzy on this, I didn't read it this when I looked (about a year ago). It's probably best to call. That does add a new kink into the mix making it tougher to manage the whole process.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if this answers the question- but transferred points cannot be banked. I think someone could transfer points to you from the next use year, but they must be used by the end of this use year or they will be lost/unbankable.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

From page 11 of the latest DVC vacation planner:

Transferring Vacation Points

1. Current policies limit Vacation Point-transfer transactions to one transfer per member or membership either as a transferee or transferrer, during a given use year.
    2. Reservation Points cannot be transferred
    3. Members can transfer Home Resort Vacation Points to another member that does not have the same Home Reosrt Vacation Points. The Vacation Points retain the Use Year and Home Resort Priority of the Membership they were transferred from.
    4. Transferring is a final transaction. Once Vacation Points have been transferred, they may not be returned to the transferring member.
    5. All transferred Vacation Points expire at the end of the transferring Member's Use Year.
    6. Transferred Vacation Points can be banked.
    7. Banked or Borrowed vacation points may not be transferred.
    8. Members are prohibited from receiving compensation for engaging in any transferring of vacation points.
    9. Vacation Points can be transferred only if both contracts are in "good" status and all fees and payments are current.

I believe that answers all the questions and clears up our misinformation.

No, no, yes (but they are subject to the transferrer's user year, banking and expirations guidelines)...

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: