Quantcast Awkward Situation

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Awkward Situation

So we don't have the best relationship with my husband's sisters. Long story and I've told it here before. It's always something and it's always crazy. The latest is my sister in law is getting divorced. She did not tell us and honestly it's none of our business- really and truly I mean that, it's none of our business. But, I am on facebook and connected with her and her kids as well. That's about the only time/way she talks to us for a while now. Anyways, her husband now got on facebook and requested me as a friend. I accepted thinking nothing of it, just that he must have just got on facebook and was looking for people he knows. Then he posted he was surprised I accepted because of the goings on. I said what ? He respondered that she left him and her younger child and they divorcing. He seems pretty upset. Bascially I didn't know what to say so I said I was sorry to hear that, hang in there, things will get better.

So... I feel so weird since she didn't tell us. Should I say anything to her (Meaning like sorry to hear about your divorce or we're here if you need us)? Should I un-friend him because of potential problems? Like I said it's none of my business and lord knows I don't want any more problems or drama with her. I am thinking because she didn't actually tell us I should just let it be. Seems to me like she doesn't want us to know. Awkward.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't say anything. Like you said, if she wanted people to know she would say something (and hopefully at some point she will tell you brother and the family). As far as un-friending him, I wouldn't do that either. If she has a problem with him being your friend, that would mean she would have to say something to you about it and the whole situation. You can deal with that when and if that happens (IMO).
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    I wouldn't say anything. Like you said, if she wanted people to know she would say something (and hopefully at some point she will tell you brother and the family). As far as un-friending him, I wouldn't do that either. If she has a problem with him being your friend, that would mean she would have to say something to you about it and the whole situation. You can deal with that when and if that happens (IMO).
    I'm with Beth on this. If she comes to you fine, but until then I'd leave it alone. We have a challenging relationship with my husband's sister and I generally just try to stay out of everything. Less stress for everyone.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Beth and Cindy. Good advice.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, I would stay friends with him even if she told you, if you have had a good relationship in the past. The child will need the support and to know that his/her family still loves him. If you can do that easier through his father, all the more power to you.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all. Good advice. I agree Cinderelly, we would still want to be there for our neice most definitely especially now when she needs people around for support.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DVC2004 View Post
    Thanks all. Good advice. I agree Cinderelly, we would still want to be there for our neice most definitely especially now when she needs people around for support.
    Good luck to you. Unfortunately, the welfare of the children usually gets lost somewhere in the middle of divorces. Glad you can keep her welfare in mind.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

That is awkward! I agree with the rest--go on as normal and keep in touch with your niece.
    First Trip: 1986 at 6 mths. old!
    Latest Trip: February 2017

Next trip: October 1017

Stayed at: Caribbean Beach, POP Century, Wilderness Lodge, The Contemporary, The Polynesian, the Beach Club, the Yacht Club, Grand Floridian, Art of Animation, Disney DREAM

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: