Quantcast Candlelight Processional Changes, Terrible

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Candlelight Processional Changes, Terrible

Last night we went to the Candlelight Processional at EPCOT, with NPH as the guest narrator. It was our first and likely last time, unless changes are reversed. If you do not know, the script has changed. It has to be 10-15 minutes shorter. It ends with the Hallelujah Chorus. They dropped "Do You Hear What I Hear" and "The Wonderful World of Christmas". More importantly they dropped "Prince of Peace" or "One Solitary Life" which is the most profound and prolific part of the entire processional. Has anyone been there? Do you agree? What are your thoughts?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow! That's too bad. They cut out 3 songs?

Post Thanks / Like

That really is too bad - I wonder if they did that so folks could also make it to Illuminations as they dinner package includes a preferred viewing location for Illuminations?
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

We are going for the first time ever in a couple of weeks so I wouldn't know they had changed the program...that's to bad.

I have been looking forward to this show for years! I hope they didn't change it because it was too "faith" based...if you know what I mean.
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

And Do You Hear What I Hear? is my favorite carol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Mode View Post
    I hope they didn't change it because it was too "faith" based...if you know what I mean.
    I don't think that is likely as they still sing the Hallelujah Chorus.

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    That really is too bad - I wonder if they did that so folks could also make it to Illuminations as they dinner package includes a preferred viewing location for Illuminations?
    I think this is likely the reason for the change.
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Mode View Post
    I hope they didn't change it because it was too "faith" based...if you know what I mean.
    No, it wasn't for that reason. The whole thing is based around the reading of the Gospel and you can't be more "faith"-oriented than that. It was done for time reasons. They used to only do 2 shows, now it's 3 to accommodate more people and they want to make sure they're done in enough time before Illuminations. The cuts were really because of the demand for the shows and the need to turn things over quicker to get more people in.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Default Candlelight Processional Changes, Terrible

Quote Originally Posted by Strmchsr View Post
    No, it wasn't for that reason. The whole thing is based around the reading of the Gospel and you can't be more "faith"-oriented than that. It was done for time reasons. They used to only do 2 shows, now it's 3 to accommodate more people and they want to make sure they're done in enough time before Illuminations. The cuts were really because of the demand for the shows and the need to turn things over quicker to get more people in.
    That's a shame. To be honest, I've never had an issue getting a package or having seating at the CP. It just requires a bit of planning and lining up early, which for something like this, I don't mind doing. Now the show is shorter, and Disney is making more money selling more packages. sigh
    Last edited by Melanie; 12-03-2013 at 11:39 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default take action

go to the booth behind the arena and register your displeasure. they are taking comments and hearing from a lot of people. More is better

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like quantity over quality. An unfortunate decision. We noticed several things seeming to have been shortened when we were at WDW a month ago. It must be the new way. Charge more, show less, and pretend like everything is better.

We never attended this event, but I remember hearing it and seeing it from a distance about 9 years ago (I think). It seemed like a fairly long show, but the crowds didn't seem to mind the length.

Post Thanks / Like

That show is such a tradition and has become an important part of the Christmas season for so many of us that travel to Disney during this time of the year. The show is truly inspirational and it will be a disappointment if they are changing it / shortening it this much. We've already been enjoying the recorded CD this season - the music is amazing. Unfortunately, it now sounds like the CD is the only way we'll get to hear parts of the original program.....

Post Thanks / Like

I'll admit that we always seemed rushed to get out fast enough to grab a medicore spot for Illuminations. However, making shorter won't make things better. It just means that thousand people watching the final show will get out a little early and grab a bunch of Illuminations spots like they would have before. I don't see a reason to shorten it unless the choirs and their directors were complaining of too much.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

Is this first year for 3 show schedule?
    It was two shows last time we went but thT was several years ago.
    I had read that people were lining.up 2-3 hours ahead. Maybe this will help.
    12/1987 Off site
    12/2000 All star movies
    7/2001 Coronado springs
    7/2001 Animal kingdom lodge
    12/2001 All star music
    7/2003 Port Orleans
    7/2003 All star sports
    7/2004 Pop Century
    7/2010 All star movies
    7/2011 Pop Century
    3/2013 Pop Century
    4/2013 All star movies

Post Thanks / Like

I had only gone once, years ago. I thought it was beautiful. One Solitary Life moved me to tears. If they removed that for time constraints that so they could squeeze in more "revenue" then they really miss the point of the Candlelight Processional! Unforgivable.
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mechanic View Post
    Is this first year for 3 show schedule?
    It was two shows last time we went but thT was several years ago.
    I had read that people were lining.up 2-3 hours ahead. Maybe this will help.
    No. They've been doing 3 shows for years
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)