Quantcast Halloween Q's

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Halloween Q's

Post Thanks / Like

Default Halloween Q's

The family wants to do the Halloween thing at Universal for the first time this Sept.
    When is it ?
    When are the dates published?
    What is the cost pp ?
    Does it run all day, or just at night ?

And anything else that you may be able to fill me in on.

Thanks for any and all info.
    PETE FROM NYC
    DISNEY NUT SINCE THE 1950s.
    I AM POOH SIZED AND PROUD OF IT.
    FORGET ABOUT THAT OTHER FAT GUY ON TV.
    I AM THE REAL KING OF QUEENS
    TWELVE TRIPS FROM 1975 - 2007 all by plane
    Drove down 2009,2010,2012,2014.
    DVC since 9/09. We own at BLT.
    Next trip: 11/1 to 11/12. BLT

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Halloween Horror Nights at Universal really is a fantastic event.

Because you mentioned your family, I'm going to throw out the disclaimer that I'm sure many other posters will also share...

This is not an event for children. This is an intense horror event for teens and adults. Universal does not sell children's tickets at this event for this reason. They can purchase an adult ticket and will be granted entrance, but they do not process refunds. I have seen many children and young teen meltdowns over the years, so I just wanted to throw that out there just in case your family is on the younger side or if some in your group do not like scary things. In short, this is not Six Flags or Disney.

The scary factor is everywhere and sometimes hard to escape. There are generally 8 haunted houses (some in movie soundstages), about 6 scare zones (outdoor scare areas) and 2 shows. The shows are not really scary and one pays homage to Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure. The houses are the best I've seen anywhere, transporting you to whatever crazy movie, idea or twisted scene they come up with.

Universal is notorious for making us wait for official dates, theme information and website launching. But, it's always worth it! I expect "official" word to start coming out in July, but it could be earlier. Keep an eye on the boards, things tend to leak out with permits, newspaper ads for hiring scare actors, etc.

Usually you can count on the 3rd Friday and Saturday of September as the opening weekend, and then various Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays through Halloween. The day you go, depends on the price you will pay.

The event only runs at night and is usually held at Universal Studios, although Islands of Adventure has been used in addition or exclusively in the past. Only time will tell the location this year.

In the past few years, Universal Studios will close at 5pm, and the event will usually open by 6pm. The event will run until 12pm or I think sometimes 1am as it gets closer to Halloween.

The event is on the expensive side, but worth it. Last year, there was a great pass for the first 10 nights that was $64.99, if I'm remembering correctly. This was cheaper than a 1 night pass later in the season (Saturdays close to Halloween). We love opening weekend and usually go the first 2 nights - it's a great bang for you buck compared to the other prices. There are also add-ons like Express Passes and VIP Tours.

We love this event and have not missed it since we started going in 2005. If you like the scary side of Halloween, this event is for you!
    '85-Disney Village Hilton; '87-Poly; '88-Day Trip-Disneyland; '89-GF; '94-GF; '97-ASMu; '98-Dixielandings; '02-CBR; '03-Offsite; '03-ASMo; '04-WL; '04-Offsite; '05-POFQ; '06-POFQ; '08-POP; '09-POP; '11-POP; '13-Day Trip-HS; Up next: Oct. '14-Day Trip-MK

Post Thanks / Like

Mfarquar did a good job of describing the party but I just wanted to add a few things.

We started going the second year they had the party. It will be the best Halloween Party you have ever gone to BUT as already stated this is NOT for kids or preteens. It is very scary and they do follow you around, it is very dark and crowded. There is drinking going on also, but nothing worse than I have seen on the weekends at EPCOT's Food & Wine Festival (not that it's a good thing).

As far as ticket prices go it is very complicated. One thing I wanted to add is if you are in the park the day of the party you can buy a ticket for that night (if not sold out already) for alot cheaper than just buying a party ticket. And as already stated these dates don't come out right away.

We have been to Halloween Parties at theme parks all over the country and this one blows the rest away!
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Great advice about the Stay and Scream ticket, NJGIRL! I am really, really hoping they bring that AND the partial season passes this year.

We're skipping Disney this year, but were contemplating doing a short Universal trip just to go to Horror Nights if we can make it work cheap enough.
    '85-Disney Village Hilton; '87-Poly; '88-Day Trip-Disneyland; '89-GF; '94-GF; '97-ASMu; '98-Dixielandings; '02-CBR; '03-Offsite; '03-ASMo; '04-WL; '04-Offsite; '05-POFQ; '06-POFQ; '08-POP; '09-POP; '11-POP; '13-Day Trip-HS; Up next: Oct. '14-Day Trip-MK

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mfarquar View Post
    We're skipping Disney this year, but were contemplating doing a short Universal trip just to go to Horror Nights if we can make it work cheap enough.
    Good Luck, I hope you can make it happen.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Me too! We're planning a trip to the Redwood Forest and San Francisco this year and then a trip to Hawaii for next winter, so it might be a stretch! I'm trying to rack up JetBlue miles with my Amex

Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to bump this back to 1st page
    PETE FROM NYC
    DISNEY NUT SINCE THE 1950s.
    I AM POOH SIZED AND PROUD OF IT.
    FORGET ABOUT THAT OTHER FAT GUY ON TV.
    I AM THE REAL KING OF QUEENS
    TWELVE TRIPS FROM 1975 - 2007 all by plane
    Drove down 2009,2010,2012,2014.
    DVC since 9/09. We own at BLT.
    Next trip: 11/1 to 11/12. BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Usually publish the dates in August, tends to start late Sept on Thurs- Sun Nights. Prices will vary by date. Weekends cost more and it gets very , very crowded. You really do need to buy the HHN Express Pass if you hope to see each house. The line waits can be, and usually are, in excess of 90 minutes. Last year I think there were 7 houses and the park got more and more crowded as the night went on. I know had we not purchased the HHN Express Pass (extra cost, need one for each person), we probably would only have done half of what we did.

That being said, it's alot of fun if you and your family like truly scary stuff. My kids went for the first time last year and they were 14 and almost 13. We , the adults, have been before several times but were waiting for the right time to bring them once they were older. They were fine...BUT they have been exposed to haunted houses before. And scary ones. It really isn't for small kids (though there always seems to be some people with toddlers in strollers?) because there are intense "scare zones" set up around the park and you really can't avoid them. Plus, there is scantily clad ladies selling jello shots and alot of inebriated people. We saw a girl slap a guy then run into the bathroom. Lots of loud swearing...I think directly from too much alcohol. So again, just prepare yourself for this.

My advice would be to go on a weekday night like a Thurs and earlier in the season. It gets even busier on weekends and the closer you get to Halloween. Also: I bought an annual pass, just for me, and that was the way to go. If you buy the top pass you get 1 free HHN ticket and then you can use the pass to buy discounted tickets for the rest of your family. If you get the pass that is a little more restricted you still get discounted tickets (but not a free one). You can do a monthly payment plan too which makes it easier. If you plan to visit Universal again before the year is up it works out well. If not then just buy regular tickets.

It's not all day, it starts at night. Last year it was in the Studios park. You can still ride most rides/attractions too. Again if you want to do this buy the HHN Express pass. Yes it costs alot especially for 4 people but you will be so glad you did.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Haunted house themes for 2012?

My DH and I are heading to Orlando for our 3 year anniversary late Sept/early Oct and were thinking about adding a night at Universal for their Halloween event.

The deal breaker is what themes their haunted houses are this year. We will not go unless there is a Jason/Friday the 13th one (I really need to seek help for my Jason obsession Seems a little juxtaposed being a lifetime Disney fan but I continue lol )

Does anyone know what the themes are for sure or when they usually release them to the public?

Even if we dont get to Universal (no Jason) we will still have a great time at Disney and their Halloween party at least

*- 29 total visits to the World -*

September 2009 AKL Jambo House Savannah View ∞ Honeymoon ∞
    September 2012 AKL Jambo House ∞ 3 year Anniversary ∞
    September 2013 Polynesian ∞ 4 year Anniversary ∞
    November 2014 Polynesian ∞ My Birthday/5 year Anniversary Combo ∞

Post Thanks / Like

They don't usually announce the themes until later in the summer. It's hard to say what this year's will be. A few years ago they did have a theme with Jason, Freddy, Leatherface, etc. I think 2008 and it was the legendary monsters or what have you. I'm not sure if they'd do it again so soon.

I wouldn't skip it though because they do an awesome job over there on their houses. It's not like anything you will see or experience anywhere else. We loved all the houses last year. The over all theme was Lady Luck, she was the "host" but the houses varied from a Columbus' Haunted Ghost Ship, The Thing (movie remake), an Edgar Allen Poe house. It was really terrific.

You should still go if you enjoy haunted houses and horror even if there's no Jason.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info I will be keeping my eyes out on their website and this thread for the official release of themes later this year

Id love to do it even if Jason isnt there lol Money is the only thing standing in our way as we scraped enough together to get to Disney but Universal, even for a day, would be another chunk for both myself and DH so Jason being there would to me make it worth it while being on a budget. If I had no budget I would be there no matter what What would be perfect is if they had Friday the 13th, Saw, Nightmare, and Halloween Remake houses

*- 29 total visits to the World -*

September 2009 AKL Jambo House Savannah View ∞ Honeymoon ∞
    September 2012 AKL Jambo House ∞ 3 year Anniversary ∞
    September 2013 Polynesian ∞ 4 year Anniversary ∞
    November 2014 Polynesian ∞ My Birthday/5 year Anniversary Combo ∞

Post Thanks / Like

OK gotcha. I know it can be an expensive evening, especially if you buy the add on express pass (which honestly you do need becasue it's insanely crowded all the time). well it's very cool so if not this time, maybe another year.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: