Quantcast Captain EO - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Captain EO

Post Thanks / Like

Given the choice, I'd rather sit through Stitch's Great Escape than watch Captain EO again. I know I'd rather sit on a bench anywhere in the park for an hour and just watch people than sit through Captain EO.
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We HAVE to see it every time we go to DL. It is a must for my DD. She bacame a big MJ fan since his death. Captain EO is a part of our routine. We will be sad when it is time for it's run to end. We can always see it thought, since I taped it. Shhhhh
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing that my husband said after EO was "Wow, that was LOUD." He remembered it from before, and we wanted to try it once as a family. I don't think that we'd go back again. HISTA was among my least favorite attractions.
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

DH and DD12 love it but DD16 and I hate it. We try to ride Journey as many times as possible while they are in Captain EO. We're up to 4 in a row.
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Super Ninja Guest

I don't really get people saying it looks cheesey. The sets were for one amazing. I like the use of practical effects. The main villainess has a ridiculously great costume design, reminiscent of H.R. Giger (Alien) as well as the alien planet. Francis Ford Copola did a good job with it, and the main song is great. If you can't really dig that, I honestly question your taste for music. Sure it's a bit corny plot wise, but does it even matter? I think the message is good too, it's about tolerance for differences between people. So yeah, I hope it stays for a long time. Definitely one of the best things about my last trip to Epcot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Super Ninja View Post
    I don't really get people saying it looks cheesey. The sets were for one amazing. I like the use of practical effects. The main villainess has a ridiculously great costume design, reminiscent of H.R. Giger (Alien) as well as the alien planet. Francis Ford Copola did a good job with it, and the main song is great. If you can't really dig that, I honestly question your taste for music. Sure it's a bit corny plot wise, but does it even matter? I think the message is good too, it's about tolerance for differences between people. So yeah, I hope it stays for a long time. Definitely one of the best things about my last trip to Epcot.
    Some people just don't get it, huh? Me? I *loved* EO the first time around - and I *still* love it. Even my 22yo daughter, who saw it for her one and only time after it first came back, *loved* it. Then again, she's REALLY into cheesy '80s stuff anyways, even though she was born at the end of the *best decade ever* :P
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

I saw Captain EO just two months after it opened. We stood in the rain for 2 hours - the line stretched all the way over to The Living Seas! It was truly spectacular, considering no one had ever seen a theater literally come to life. Needless to say, we were anxious to see it again after HISTA went away. I must say, we were not really disappointed. Not really. I mean, YES it's dated! But it was great to see Michael again, from a time when he was, shall we say, more innocent. However, I doubt we will go back for multiple viewings. I don't think my family is alone in this assessment - now that we visited it again for the sake of nostalgia, we probably won't go back. At least for a couple of years, but it probably won't last that long.
    "I wanted something alive, something that could grow. Something I can keep plussing with ideas. You see? The park is that. Not only can I add things but even the trees will keep growing. The thing will get more beautiful every year."

Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

I thoroughly enjoyed having Captain EO back. The music is awesome but when you have so many fantastic examples of really good 3D both in the local theme parks and in theatres, the technical flaws really shine through.

I kept taking off my glasses to see if something was wrong with my eyes or it was actually the 3-D. That being said, I would have never wandered back there if something hadn't replaced HISTA. But I agree with the majority it's time for something else.

Post Thanks / Like

I like it for two reasons:

I like a bit of nostalgia.

AND

It is good to see Michael Jackson in his early days of stardom...before he was used up by the machine.

Additionally, the light-up sequined glove they sell at the kiosk outside the theatre is so much fun. We bought them and played with them in the hotel room for half the night!!! Ha!
    1975 & 1977 - Summer - Disneyland
    1991 April - WDW
    1993 April - WDW
    2006 June - Saratoga Springs
    2007 July – Saratoga Springs
    2010 February - Caribbean Beach Resort
    2010 October – AKL Jambo
    2011 July - Old Key West
    2013 October - OKW
    2015 September - AKL Jambo
    2016 September - AKL Jambo

BelleBeauty Guest

We absolutely loved it on our last trip and saw it 3 or 4 times. My husband was very nostalgic since he saw it as a kid. He even bought the Captain EO t-shirt in the gift store...

Post Thanks / Like

I saw it as a kid and was excited to get to see it again. DH had never seen it. When we first saw it together, he loved it and I didn't. On the trips we have made since then, he makes a point to go see it and I go do something else.
    Rhonda

Trips to WDW: Priceless

Impossible is not a word.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Super Ninja View Post
    If you can't really dig that, I honestly question your taste for music.
    I don't think I can consider Michael Jackson or Pop music in general to be the apex of musical taste.
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Super Ninja Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    I don't think I can consider Michael Jackson or Pop music in general to be the apex of musical taste.
    Then what do you listen to, classical, maybe? Michael Jackson was pretty much the best at what he did. I don't really see how you can make much of an argument against his vocals or the construction of his tracks either. Those are the best selling albums of all time for a reason, the music is very good. He was also one of the best at dance routines, which is another reason why movie is good entertainment.

Post Thanks / Like

Please, folks, let's not get into a debate about Michael Jackson. Everyone's entitled to their opinion about the attraction, whether the enjoy it or not--that is the point of this thread.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

I thought it was horrible then, worse now when compared to other attractions.

Worse, now that Journey is even sadder, makes EO and the whole pavilion even worse.

Super Ninja Guest

Well for me, it breathed new life into the pavilion. I saw the film twice on the same day. I would have seen it again if I had time. Definitely wasn't as excited to do things like Mission Space or what have you.

Post Thanks / Like

I was so extremely excited to have the opportunity to see it. I loved it. Before arriving at Disney the year they reopened it after Michaels passing DBF had told me about Captain EO. Knowing I was and am a HUGE MJ fan DBF told me all about it cause he had seen it in it originally back in the 80's when it was first created and told me all about it. He knew I would enjoy it.

I personally went to see it in this frame of mind, is it kind of lame and silly? Yes, in a Michael Jackson/Disney sort of way, but I love lame and silly. Is it kind of blah compared to the type of technology available today? Absolutely. BUT is it worth seeing, and knowing that this is the original version from the 80's, when the type of technology used for it was the best at that time? Absolutely.

IMO it is atleast worth seeing, but I definitely wouldn't go in thinking it is the best work available currently. But, it "was" the best of it's availability at the time it was made.
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Super Ninja Guest

s it kind of blah compared to the type of technology available today?
    Have to disagree. Practical effects always look more realistic than CGI. xd I think the boomerang effect on this has already started. Prometheus uses mostly practical effects and sets and saved money versus what it would have cost to use worse looking CGI that would have produced worse acting.

Obviously, Captain EO didn't have the biggest budget ever, but I still think everything looks pretty cool. The claymation segments were also really nice.

Post Thanks / Like

It's all a matter of taste. My son who is 12, has been into MJ for a few years now and he loved it! Even with the 'cheesy' special effects, remember, they were state of the art for it's time. Just look at the new Clash of the Titans compared to the old. I still love the old! There's no reason for debate...like a previous poster said, it's a matter of opinion. I myself giggled at the plot and special effects, but still enjoyed it.
    And everyone has different tastes in music, and just in general...that's what makes the world go round. Respect is key. I hope it stays at least until August! I want one of those t-shirts!
    Debbie
    Feb 87- off site/Nov 98-Poly
    98- Disney Magic Inaugural Cruise
    Jul 03-off site
    Sept 05/Aug. 11/Nov '20 -Pop Nov 08-POR
    Aug 09/May 10-ASMu
    Nov. 09-Disneyland/California Adv.
    Aug. 12- OKW
    Aug 13 SS
    Oct 14 AKL/AoA
    Oct. 18 POP
    Aug 19- Movies

Post Thanks / Like

I guess it's easier for Disney to bring back something old rather than actually create something new. Sad. The entire Journey area is almost as big of a waste of space as the Wonders of Life pavillion or the Odyssey restaurant.
    Annual Passholders for:

Walt Disney World
    Univeral Orlando
    Sea World
    Busch Gardens

Nothing beats living in Central Florida!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: