PDA

View Full Version : How scary is "It's tough to be a bug?"

Kairi_7378
03-24-2007, 12:47 PM
DH has arachnophobia and freaks out whenever he sees a spider. I've read reports that "Tough to be a Bug" is very intense. How scary is it? He said that he'll go on but if he's going to spend the whole time freaked out I don't want to risk it.

bradk
03-24-2007, 01:01 PM
as much as i love ITTBAB, i'd have to advise you stay away. there is a portion where non-film spiders drop from the ceiling.

huzzah4
03-24-2007, 01:03 PM
I'm not real big on spiders myself, but I had no problem with it. There are a couple of surprises, but I wouldn't really call ITTBAB "intense". Basically, if your husband could handle the movie then this show should not present a problem.

Strmchsr
03-24-2007, 01:06 PM
The "stinging" bees and (especially) the bugs running under your seat were MUCH worse to me than the spiders. It's a hard call. I think it's "intense" for small children, but not bad for adults. The spiders do momentarily drop from the ceiling, but it's quick and he can close his eyes for that brief moment. They don't drop too close.

moe513
03-24-2007, 01:31 PM
I think little kids might be scared because of the dark but anything that relates to the bugs look fake.

GrumpyFan
03-24-2007, 02:00 PM
Hopefully, I'm not spoiling anything here.
It gets dark in the theatre, and they (big spiders) drop from above, but they're high enough above people's heads so they're not a direct threat. The smaller kids all start screaming and crying, so that's where it gets intense, but the "attack" doesn't last very long.

disneymom2000
03-24-2007, 02:18 PM
I had a similar with my mom when I took her because she is deathly afraid of snakes. People don't understand that just looking at them gave her an anxiety attack so I had to go to the boards and find out every ride that had snakes. We couldn't do Indiana Jones (or even walk through the kiosk), The Great Movie Ride, Honey I Shrunk the Audience as well as a couple of others. I understand that the spiders don't effect most people, but I would say not to do it if he has arachnaphobia.

bradk
03-24-2007, 02:24 PM
i'll amend my earlier statement with it depends on how he deals with it. it's an irrational fear for the most part. i suffer from extreme acrophobia and vertigo. i can make myself weak just thinking about places i've been, forget actually being there. i won't touch a stepstool unless i have to and even then, it's touch and go.

all that said, within the past few years, i've come to terms with it in a controlled environment because i know it's irrational. i don't trust myself to sit in the balcony somewhere, but if it's an attraction where i don't have the option to fall off, it's not something i concern myself with anymore. although i did feel that way until i went on the rides at the stratosphere. that had me second guessing everything. evil, evil attractions.

but if it's a genuine fear of spiders, as in even looking at pictures of them is terrifying, i wouldn't bother. if anything, you could sit at the opposite end of the attraction for a quick exit if need be, but i really wouldn't bother.

battle beast
03-24-2007, 03:06 PM
The bees actually stab you in the back when you least expect it! IT HURTS!!! Stay away, lest ye be maimed!

SBETigg
03-24-2007, 04:09 PM
I would keep away until he's older. My DS is going on 16 and he still won't go back because it scared him so much the first time (when he was 10!). But it's fun and I love it. There are spider effects. That's probably all you need to know to make the decision.

bradk
03-24-2007, 04:23 PM
how old do you think her husband should be? :)

LudwigVonDrake
03-24-2007, 04:29 PM
If he has an issue with the movie, just have him take off his 3D glasses or close his eyes until it's done...just remind him that's not real :)

Meteora
03-24-2007, 04:50 PM
I'm going to be honest at the cost of my own dignity. I saw ITtbaB with two friends. One hates spiders, one does not. I personally have no fear of bugs. What I don't like, however, is things jumping out at me in the dark. It doesn't much matter to me what the thing is. So I spent most of the show cowering in my seat, clinging to my friend who hates spiders, and screaming. I wasn't actually scared, obviously--controlled environment and all that--and we were also laughing the whole time, but it wasn't overall an enjoyable experience for me or my spider-phobic friend. We wouldn't do it again simply because whatever cuteness is part of the attraction was outweighed by effects that we didn't enjoy. My other friend liked it a lot and would definitely do it again.

I'd say, though, that unless your husband is deathly afraid of spiders, you should give it a shot. The worst that can happen is that he'll close his eyes for a few minutes and decide not see it again.

Marilyn Michetti
03-24-2007, 05:29 PM
You can close your eyes all you want, but the bee sting HURTS!! It doesn't smell all that great either :bee:

kadesha
03-24-2007, 05:45 PM
what are you guys talking about a bee sting hurting?? should I not let my kids do this??

cgriff
03-24-2007, 06:30 PM
You can close your eyes all you want, but the bee sting HURTS!! It doesn't smell all that great either :bee:

A stinky hurtful bee sting effect? wth?

angedeaile
03-24-2007, 09:03 PM
I say stay away. I think that was the one ride we did not enjoy one bit.

My DLB-9yrs, threw his glasses off once he seen the spiders. For the rest of the show, he had his eyes closed and was on the floor...even after I pleaded with him to get up. He missed the bee stings and everything, but told me we were never doing that again.

Mine and DBF's backs were sore from the "sting", and I would say if I had a fear of bugs...just the intensity of everything going on all at once..it is quite overwhelming for those who have a fear already. The spiders didn't look like REAL spiders, but they were everywhere!

It could be alittle intense for your DH if his fear is already bad.

SpecJoe Magic
03-25-2007, 03:43 AM
In regards to the bee sting, I haven't felt it since the very first time I saw the show because I now intentionally avoid being "stung." When you hear the bees buzzing, just scoot forward in your seat and lean forward. You'll know the bee segment is over when the big spiders drop from the ceiling. So, don't let the bee sting stop you from experiencing the attraction because it can easily be avoided. As for everything else about the show, there is already good advice given by others that should help you make up your mind about whether or not to experience it.

SBETigg
03-25-2007, 10:18 AM
how old do you think her husband should be? :)

:blush: Oh, ha! I read it as DS. I was thinking little one. Right, well, maybe he should just skip it altogether. A lot of people really just don't enjoy the effects of this one. But considering he is an adult, I think he could handle it. I might try it once. It is fun and I think he'll know that it's all special effects.

WDWFRK
03-25-2007, 11:00 AM
If he has an issue with the movie, just have him take off his 3D glasses or close his eyes until it's done...just remind him that's not real :)

That isn't always enough to assuage fears! There are so many effects in the theater itself that are scary, too! On our last trip, I actually felt a little panicky when all of the fog fills the theater during the spider part.

I have one of the bravest children in the world when it comes to rides at theme parks, and she HATES ITTBAB! We will not be going to see it again any time soon.

battle beast
03-25-2007, 11:13 AM
A little hard piece of plastic juts out from yur seat back and stbs you right in the small of your back. It hurts like you wouldn't belive, and for little kids, it'll be pretty traumatizing. It was for me, in a way, because I'll NEVER, EVER go back.

magicman
03-25-2007, 04:03 PM
To avoid the dropping spiders (which seem to drop through the cover of the bug spray), we sit on the sides and back of the theater. It is much less intense.

homeschool mom
03-25-2007, 05:01 PM
I don't like spiders or beetles. I can't even watch the movie withouth cringing. The family wanted to try ITTBAB on one of our past trips so I "sucked it up" and went. I may be a BIG baby,:scared: but it was too intense for me! My family didn't care for it either and none of them have any phobias about bugs like me. That's one attraction we avoid when we are in the World.

Goofy Pluto
03-26-2007, 10:37 AM
I really like this attractions. Like others said, just sit forward for the bee stinging part (the one part I don't like). The issue I'm debating right now is if this is too intense for my daughter who will either be almost 5 or 5 by the time we go (we're trying to decide between Sept and Dec now). I'm thinking it's probably too much for her, but that's at least 6 months away so we'll see. However, she LOVES A Bug's Life so I'd like to take her, but we'll have to see. I'm thinking it might be too much.

Disney Doll
03-26-2007, 12:33 PM
I'm a little surprised by all the negative comments on ITTBAB. I don't want to diminish anyone's fear, but I'd hate for the op to get the wrong idea about this show. IMO it's pretty tame and the "bee stings" are not painful. I have taken kids as young as 3 with no trouble. I think you should be cautious if you have little kids who are on the sensative side or anyone with a serious phobia. I'm not an expert on phobias so it's hard to give advice to the op. Previous posters have given pretty good descriptions of what to expect as far as the spiders go. I think it's a very cute show and I'd hate for you to miss it, but only your DH can decide.

ravsluvdisney
03-26-2007, 02:07 PM
I can't reccommend it highly because I didn't enjoy it terribly and my 2 DS' (4 & 6) hated it. Too loud, bugs too big and scary, too smelly....my younger DS was crying within the first few minutes.

Kristi Kay
04-02-2007, 05:15 PM
I'm 24 and I think it's great fun,but it is a bit scary...things come out of your seat and poke you...it catches me totally off guard!

marlyn
04-02-2007, 05:45 PM
I have arachnaphobia...but I don't mind ITTBAB. My adult brain realizes the difference betwen REAL spiders and the FAKE ones that come down from the ceiling in this show.

A child who has arachnaphobia, in the other hand, may not be able to handle it.

Rayadragon
04-02-2007, 06:15 PM
I was sitting in the very back of the theater and don't even remember the spiders dropping down. I do remember the bee sting though. It was surprizing, but not really painful. Can't imagine it would be good for someone with a bad back.

Bubbie Girl
04-02-2007, 06:36 PM
I really don't think the bee sting is that bad. It suprises you more than scares you the first time i think, after that i just move forward or raise my bottom off the seat at the end. If i had little children with me i think i would stand them up at the end or hold them on my lap. It really is a cute show i think.

angedeaile
04-02-2007, 07:48 PM
I just thought about this, but maybe consider going on the ride by yourself to judge it first.

I have seen adults do this when it comes to seeing if an attraction would be too much for their little ones.

This way, if you enjoyed it and want to go on it again, you can help him with his fear by explaining everything first.

poeticeclipse
04-02-2007, 07:51 PM
I personally don't like spiders but it's not a life or death kind of fear. I've seen the attraction and its not because of the spiders that I can't watch, it's because of all of the other effects used. If you want to see it with your hubby, just go and be seated to see the attraction and both of you watch until you feel uncomfortable. I always put my feet up and keep my back away from the back of the seat. I still watch some parts but I def. don't sit with my eyes open through all of it!

Christine
04-02-2007, 07:55 PM
Everyone I know gauges how scary a ride or attraction is by whether I will do it or not. :blush:

I like ITTBAB very much, so it can't be that bad!

fielin
04-03-2007, 05:23 AM
I thought it was a fun experience.

I have to disagree : bees sting do not hurt, they surprise. As for the spiders, I thought this was a nice touch, also I am not phobic.

MOJoe
04-03-2007, 11:25 AM
My wife has a moderate fear of spiders. She screams, jumps, and shakes when she encounters one. So I was concerned for her when we went to see ITTBB. Her reaction? She felt it was the best of all the 3-D shows, despite the stings, spiders and under your feet critters. Go figure. I guess everyone has a different take on things. But if you think someone might be frightened, just remind them - they are only Disney Bugs.

mjm12000
06-25-2007, 04:31 PM
I am a 32 year old male, and I have near paralizing fear of bugs and spiders in particular. I did ITTBAB at California Adventure and it was a really cute and fun show, however it was also very intense and I am not ashamed to say that I did scream when the spiders dropped on us from the ceiling and also when the bugs went under your but and the sting in the back... The reason the spiders scared me outside of the fact that they are spiders is the fact that there is all this fog and they come at you fast and you have no idea how low they are going to drop... I am pretty tall so they were only about a foot or so above my head and I actually ducked down. So I have to say if I was a kid I would probably be shaken up by this show, but at the same time I would have liked the other parts of the show... so it would depend on how you prepare your child before going into the show.

mainemajor
06-25-2007, 08:43 PM
DH has arachnophobia and freaks out whenever he sees a spider. I've read reports that "Tough to be a Bug" is very intense. How scary is it? He said that he'll go on but if he's going to spend the whole time freaked out I don't want to risk it.

While I do not think it is scary, if your DH has arachnophobia, then by all means he should skip it. You could still go and meet him after. One thing I hate seeing at Disney is when people make others go on rides/attractions knowing they are afraid. Disney is for having fun not worrying. And the sting in the show will startle you more than anything else.

snifflesmcg
06-25-2007, 08:45 PM
My mother is completely freaked out by bugs....all bugs. However, she did still like ITTBAB. Disney makes them so cute.

emmingo
06-25-2007, 09:26 PM
I wouldn't say that there is anything particularly awful about ITTAB, but its incredibly intense, and it is, IMHO, probably the most intense of the 3-D simulator rides. I did it once on a trip to AK right after it opened, and between the claustrophobia of being under the ToL, and the bugs, I promised I wouldn't do it again (I don't like the 3-D sims, though, so its not a huge leap that I wouldn't like this ride). The 2nd time, I was persuaded, I just didn't do it with the glasses and sat on the edge of my seat. Either way, though, it wasn't enjoyable.

On the other hand, its impressive as a ride, and if you like 3-D sims, you'll love it. If you're kid knows the characters from Bug's Life, they won't be as surprised. The pokes don't hurt so much as scare you, and the bugs running under your bottom are an "experience," but it all depends on you.

EmcDuckRN
06-25-2007, 09:36 PM
You didn't really mention just how intense his fear is. If it is a full blown diagnosed "phobia" I'd not do it. Sure, it is a cute show, but the bugs moving effects, etc. that have already been mentioned would be enough if it is that severe.

On the other hand if it is "just" a severe dislike that someone calls a "phobia" and he doesn't really go into a panic attack when he sees spiders, I'd consider giving it a try. BUT... go all the way accross and sit near the doors, and tell him that if he starts to feel uncomfortable, that it is OK to leave. Usually it is the kids that need to leave, but I've been there with adult friends who needed to cut out early. Just make sure that it is no pressure, and offer lots of support.

No point ruining a day with a doorway right there.

beksy
06-26-2007, 09:29 AM
Thanks so much for all the info. Mom is deathly allergic to bees and I have a very bad phobia of spiders so now I know to avoid this one! Thanks!

moe513
06-26-2007, 11:58 AM
I think its scary to little ones because its dark. My dd was very scared at 5 but had no problems when she was 6yo.

Alpha Jeanie
06-30-2007, 03:35 PM
My DH, DS9 & DD4 liked it, but I on the other hand will not go back to ITTBAB on our next trip to AK. I get VERY clausterphobic and had trouble when they fill the theater with "smoke" and "fumigate" the audience :sick:. It is thick smoke like you see on stage at rock concerts and you can not see even 1 inch in front of you for what seemed like eternity for me. It's really dark in there for most of the show also, which surely scares alot of kids.