PDA

View Full Version : Help me figure out this 80s Disney memory

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
03-24-2007, 10:14 AM
I guess this would be somewhere around 1986-1988, but I distinctly remember an attraction at Disney that was some sort of space theme, I don't remember if it was the Magic Kingdom or Epcot. What I remember is that there was a conveyer belt, similar to the end of Space Mountain, or you could possibly have been walking. To the side were scenes, and there was a rocket/spaceship type scene where an astronaut was on a 1960s/1970s vintage treadmill.

Does anyone else remember this, or know where this was?

breezysmom
03-24-2007, 10:18 AM
I think you are thinking of Horizons...I Loved that one

goofiecrazy
03-24-2007, 11:10 AM
I think i remember what u are talking about but i thought that was at the end of space moutain.I can remember getting scared and not riding SM and there was the chickens exit as we called it and that was there. I could be wrong and it was totally in a different spot. If i remember right didnt the conveyor belt that u stood on go up like a hill?

TinkRocks
03-24-2007, 12:23 PM
I don't remember the attraction in detail, but could it have been Mission to Mars?

Horizons (http://www.intercot.com/themeparks/epcot/futureworld/horizons/default.asp) could've been what you're thinking of too.

battle beast
03-24-2007, 03:13 PM
cool.

Main Street Jim
03-24-2007, 05:24 PM
If it *was* Horizons, you were riding in a ride vehicle facing one side, not on a conveyor belt.

Space Mountain had something similar as you exited along their conveyor belt, and the scenes were called "RYCA-1" (as you would pronounce RCA, the company, as they were the original Space Mountain sponsors). I don't recall an astronaut on a treadmill in Space Mountain, though.

It definitely wasn't Mission to Mars, as you exited through "normal" doors. The preshow was "Mission Control" with Mr. Tom Morrow (or Mr. Johnson, depending on when you went ;)). There were no conveyors in M2M.

JPL
03-24-2007, 09:08 PM
Could it be a combined Memory :confused: Horizons had the guy on the treadmill and Space Mountain has the conveyor belt exiting the building. I know talking to alot of people over the years they often combine 2 attractions into one memory :secret: