PDA

View Full Version : Animal Kindgom Additions?

Jeff G
03-23-2007, 02:56 PM
I'm curious if their is an addition for the Animal Kingdom starting soon or in the works.

Today while poking around on MapQuest I was able to zoom in on AK and noticed that just north of Asia and east of Conservation Station there is a large area of land torn up. Is this a new land or am I just being hopeful?

scoot241
03-23-2007, 04:03 PM
These pictures are sometimes outdated. For example, if you go up to the Magic Kingdom on Mapquest, the 10K Leagues Under the Sea lagoon is filled in but the construction walls are still up. On Google Maps, you can even still see the 10K Leagues lagoon.

I'm not aware of any construction in that area, but someone more informed than me will probably come along to let us know.

Ian
03-23-2007, 06:09 PM
If it's in Asia it's most likely an old image that still shows the construction going on for Everest.

Either that or its current and it's the new restaurant they're putting in there.

joelkfla
03-25-2007, 03:50 AM
If it's in Asia it's most likely an old image that still shows the construction going on for Everest.

Either that or its current and it's the new restaurant they're putting in there.
No, this is the area north of Asia. Everest is southeast, and the Yak & Yeti is in the southwest corner.

I've noticed this area before, prior to the start of Everest. I think it's not so much torn up, as just undeveloped. It seems to be used as an open storage area. Everest is in the final stages of construction, so it's possible this was being used as a staging area, although it's a little ways up the road.

It does look like a prime candidate for expansion, but they'd need to do something creative for pedestrian access from the main part of the park. The railroad tracks get pretty close to the bird theater and the tiger enclosure, and there would be at least one service road to get across. But it is right next to the Planet Watch train station; in fact, that may be the reason the station is so far from the Planet Watch exhibit building -- so it could serve future expansion here.

Spaceship Tigger
03-26-2007, 07:24 AM
No, this is the area north of Asia. Everest is southeast, and the Yak & Yeti is in the southwest corner.

I've seen the same area on Google Earth, and it's a fairly recent picture that was added in the past year. It is definitely not Everest, which is almost fully built a little to the south of the dirt area. Hopefully it waill be an area used for future construction, but it's probably just an unutilized area right now.

BMan62
03-26-2007, 08:53 AM
I just looked at that MapQuest area and it is a huge area being torn up. Question: Where is AKL located in relation to the park? Could this be part of the work for the new DVC Animal Kingdom Villas?

KathyRN137
03-26-2007, 10:39 AM
EE, with the mythical "Yeti" would certainly make a nice segway into a Beastly Kingdom....its nice to speculate!

JPL
03-26-2007, 10:42 AM
I'm gonna say this was the Everest staging area I remember seeing some aerial photos with track pieces in a staging area. The may also use the same are for the Yak & Yeti.

Scar
03-26-2007, 11:08 AM
Question: Where is AKL located in relation to the park? Could this be part of the work for the new DVC Animal Kingdom Villas?AKL is almost a mile southwest of the Tree of Life. This area is about 1/4 mile north of it.

I agree that it was the staging area for EE. The Google Earth shot shows what looks like storage containers and construction office trailers. And I can distinctly see a tractor trailer leaving the site.

cgriff
03-26-2007, 08:21 PM
Potentially old news here, but the bulk of what I have read regarding any potential new 'Land' in Animal Kingdom indicated that it would be 'Beastly Kingdom', and would be built in the area currently occupied by the Character Greeting Trails, Pocohontas & Her Forest Friends and the Legend of the Lion King attractions.

baldburke
03-26-2007, 09:35 PM
AKL is almost a mile southwest of the Tree of Life. This area is about 1/4 mile north of it.

I agree that it was the staging area for EE. The Google Earth shot shows what looks like storage containers and construction office trailers. And I can distinctly see a tractor trailer leaving the site.

This is a bit off topic, but has there ever been any thought of a path or trail from AKL to the park? It is a shame that the combination of the two (a deluxe and the park) are the only ones without some sort of preferred or exclusive transportation method other than a bus.

Crow
03-26-2007, 10:38 PM
kinda agree here. there should b some kind of connection from AKL to AK

Scar
03-27-2007, 09:52 AM
This is a bit off topic, but has there ever been any thought of a path or trail from AKL to the park? It is a shame that the combination of the two (a deluxe and the park) are the only ones without some sort of preferred or exclusive transportation method other than a bus.I think it would be a great idea. It would be about the same distance as the walk from The Yacht and Beach Club to MGM. From what I heard, (and this is speculation, not from any reliable source) Disney does not want just anybody being able to walk over and hang out at the Lodge checking out the animals.

Dakota Rose
03-29-2007, 04:26 PM
Geez, louise! Why didn't I ever think of looking at arial pictures of the park!!!

:doh:

I'm thinkin' it would be really cool to have a South America/Amazon land.

Ian
03-29-2007, 07:01 PM
I think I read at one point that they did plan on digging a canal between AKL and AK and having boat service run between the two, but they scrapped the idea for ... you guessed it ... cost cutting reasons.

I'll be honest, though, and say that I'm not 100% sure if I actually read that, heard it somewhere, or just made it up in my head. :blush: