PDA

View Full Version : Sopranos- Final Season

DVC2004
03-23-2007, 02:44 PM
I can barely stand the wait! April 8th (Easter)can't come soon enough. Anyone else watching the edited reruns on A&E? Any theories out there about what is going to go down? I wish it would never end.:(

GothMickey
03-23-2007, 02:53 PM
Living in NJ I can tell you this. The final scene EVER was filmed yesterday in Bloomfield. That's it. Sopranos is no more.

DVC2004
03-23-2007, 03:02 PM
Living in NJ I can tell you this. The final scene EVER was filmed yesterday in Bloomfield. That's it. Sopranos is no more.

Very sad!:(

Ian
03-23-2007, 04:44 PM
I'm excited for this and for Entourage!!! Can't wait, although I am seriously bummed that this is the final eight episodes of the Sopranos.

I really held out hope that they'd come to some sort of agreement and do another season. :(

NJDad
03-23-2007, 09:06 PM

At a restaraunt/ice cream/candy shop, where we always have to get a chocolate 'lollipop' for the little one.

DizneyFreak2002
03-24-2007, 03:50 PM
How does everyone think this series will end?

NJDad
03-25-2007, 05:42 AM
If it's like many of the other seasons, the next to last episode will be great, and the last episode will be a letdown.

I wouldn't be surprised if Chase and Gandolfini decided to end Tony's life somehow, just to put it behind them, in another case of entertainers who start resenting the thing that put them on the map.

DizneyFreak2002
03-25-2007, 12:47 PM
If they kill off Tony, then, how do they do the movie they are currently rumored to be doing?

NJDad
03-26-2007, 11:46 AM
Well, if the rumor is true, you probably don't. If not, anything goes?

“It may be that in two or three or four years I could be sitting around and get an idea for a really great ’Sopranos’ movie,” David Chase told The New York Times in a joint interview with James Gandolfini, star of the HBO series. “I don’t think that will happen. But if one morning somebody woke up and said this would make a really good, concise, contained ’Sopranos’ story, I wouldn’t rule that out.”

ibrowse17
03-26-2007, 12:07 PM
With the Soprano's coming to an end and Rome being cancelled, I have very little reason to watch HBO in the future.

ldn324
03-26-2007, 12:38 PM
With the Soprano's coming to an end and Rome being cancelled, I have very little reason to watch HBO in the future.

Agree! DH and I had actually discussed cancelling our HBO subscription after the final Sopranos and using that money to pay for our new Netflix account. If there was anything on HBO we felt compelled to watch, we could just get it from Netflix most likely. Plus we could always re-subscribe if something really great came out.

I'm still in mourning over Six Feet Under - I can't imagine what I will be like after the last Sopranos! :(

DizneyFreak2002
03-26-2007, 12:53 PM

HBO will be back with a new, exciting show... They always come up with something good to replace a lost show...

Speedy1998
03-26-2007, 01:03 PM
Anyone else watching the edited reruns on A&E? .:(

Edited Reruns on A&E?? Didn't know they were doing that. Must make the episodes kind of short.

DVC2004
03-26-2007, 01:09 PM
Yes, the editd reruns are shorter so they show two episodes. Runs Wed. nights 8 pm CST/9 pm EST.

DVC2004
03-26-2007, 01:11 PM
Agree! DH and I had actually discussed cancelling our HBO subscription after the final Sopranos and using that money to pay for our new Netflix account. If there was anything on HBO we felt compelled to watch, we could just get it from Netflix most likely. Plus we could always re-subscribe if something really great came out.

I'm still in mourning over Six Feet Under - I can't imagine what I will be like after the last Sopranos! :(

I agree as well. Sopranos and Six Feet Under are my favorites. I think we may cancel as well and just get Netflix plus the expanded basic service.

Ian
03-27-2007, 04:46 PM
I'm going to miss the Sopranos, too, but if you're not watching Entourage (which it sounds like most of you aren't) you're really missing out. In many ways, it's as good as Sopranos.

mickeys_princess
04-09-2007, 02:26 AM
Did anyone watch the Sopranos tonight? What did you think? I was really hoping for more action. I hope the next few episodes are more exciting.

NJDad
04-09-2007, 05:45 AM
More action?

We had Tony getting arrested, a guy getting whacked, and Tony and his brother in law beating the snot out of each other, with a little action directed at Carmela during that fray.

The Sopranos is not an action series. People seem to forget that in between seasons.

ldn324
04-09-2007, 06:49 AM
I thought the episode was pretty good and well put together. We got to see that Tony's new "good" side really isn't strong enough to overcome his true self (like there was any doubt!). Little things are starting to get pieced together to set up for the next few episodes. The buildup to Tony vs. Bobby was so well done.

All in all, it was a little bittersweet to watch. I mean, I'm glad it's back on but watching last night means one less episode until it's all over :(

I think last night was the building foundation for a whirlwind of excitement in the coming weeks...

DVC2004
04-09-2007, 07:58 AM
Well, what did everyone think about last night? I really enjoyed it.:thumbsup: What a memorable birthday!;)

Ian
04-09-2007, 08:17 AM
Well I didn't think it disappointed. I thought it was a great opening episode!

The thing about this show that's so amazing is how easily they're able to create this amazing line of tension that runs just beneath the surface of the plotlines.

Last night's episode reminded me a little of the one where Adrianna got whacked. When she's riding in the car with Silvio and he says he's taking her to see Christopher ... you're not quite sure what's going on ... is he being honest or is she doomed.

I thought last night's show had a little bit of that to it. That scene with Carmela and Janice on the beach at the lake had that same sense of tension and foreboding. Masterful!

I sure am gonna miss this show when it's gone. I'm pretty sure it's the best show that's ever been on television. I can't think of any show, from any era, that has had more richly developed characters and storylines.

GothMickey
04-09-2007, 09:08 AM
I felt the over all sense of family in this episode, be it the crime family and their personal families. Bobby whacks that guy because the boss of the family told him to, yet, you can tell he had reservations on doing so. Bobby also sealed his fate by dropping his gun and running in a panic. The guy tore his shirt and probably still had a piece of it in his hand. DNA evidence, Bobby's fear, may come back to haunt him. Over all, I thought it was a good episode. The fight scene was excellent. I agree with Wacky. The conversation between Carmela and Janice was brilliant. There is now true tension between the two siblings and the in-laws.

ldn324
04-09-2007, 10:13 AM
Bobby also sealed his fate by dropping his gun and running in a panic.

I thought that too at first about Bobby dropping the gun but then I remembered seeing him wearing a glove on his shooting hand, plus the gun was probably not legally tied to Bobby - stolen, etc.

Knowing that Tony had just gotten that machine gun as a gift from Bobby made me kind of nervous after the fight! Once Tony and Bobby were taking that ride, I too kept thinking Bobby might meet the same fate as Adriana!!

DVC2004
04-09-2007, 01:53 PM
I just l loved last night's episode. The tension was so thick between the two couples. I don't know about you guys but at least over here we felt we could totally relate. Janice probably reminds many of someone they know; I know we have a relative very much like her!

Bobby/Tony- I never thought Tony would/will whack him but he'll continue to give him a hard time. I am sure he is still holding resentment from last season when he had to go over to Junior's in place of Bobby and all that went down with that. I think he knows Janice and Bobby are a couple of screwups and doesn't expect much out of them.

Did anyone think anything bad was going to happen with Nica (Janice's little one)? I kept thinking that, probably because they kept focusing on her playing off to the side and by the water. I know the nanny was there but still there just seemed and uneasiness about those scenes. I am glad nothing happened though.

I am really going to miss this show. I just can't get enough.

JPL
04-09-2007, 02:07 PM
Actually I had more of a feeling that something would happen to AJ's girlfriends kid since they showed a pool party about to take place.

Bethanymouse
04-10-2007, 05:07 PM
:thumbsup: A great start to the season!

Ian
04-16-2007, 09:11 AM
What did everyone think of last night's episode?

I thought it was another good one. Very rich and deep in terms of the character's interactions with one another.

That, to me, is what really sets this show apart from the others. All these characters know who they are and we all know them ... in many ways these are some of the most highly developed characters ever to have been on television.

Great show ... only 7 episodes left ... very sad ...

ldn324
04-16-2007, 10:59 AM
Again, the writers and cast did not disappoint. I thought last night's episode was amazing. WOW, I never thought I'd get emotional about Johnny Sack's passing! It was actually touching to see the guys having a toast to Johnny when they found out.

So what does everyone think Phil is up to? He's pretty steamed up. Is he going to take out Christopher?? And would Tony really be that heartbroken if he did? Lots of talk about Ade too - is this the body the are going to find next week?? Although it looked like that body was found in a house. I kind of just assumed that Syl left Ade in the woods when he killed her??

I'm amazed that J.T. (Tim Daly's character) hasn't been whacked by Christopher yet. Maybe it's because Christopher knows that he really does need his talent to get through this movie. The behind the scenes show featuring "Cleaver" is on this week. Interesting how they are making it look so real. I'm wondering if they are thinking of releasing Cleaver as an actual film??

Ian
04-16-2007, 11:51 AM
Honestly, I thought the whole behind the scenes of Cleaver thing seemed a little contrived. It's like they're looking for anything Sopranos-related to milk for a buck since the series is ending.

I think Christopher is going to get clipped soon. Or maybe Paulie?

DVC2004
04-16-2007, 12:37 PM
Another great episode. I was sad about Johnny Sack-I always liked him. Phil, he is definitely stirring up trouble. Now with Johnny gone there's really nothing stopping him from doing anything; he doesn't listen to Little Carmine.

I don't know who they are going to find. I wonder about Ade? Carmela is really harping on that.

Cleaver- That behind the scenes thing they're doingis wierd. I wouldn't have expected that from this show.

Ian
04-16-2007, 03:23 PM
I didn't get the impression it was an "old" body they had found, but rather a new one.

I kinda got the impression it might have been Paulie, but I could be wrong.

Jeff G
04-20-2007, 05:15 PM
Very good show to open the season. The clever scenes were a bit gruesome but as usuall the Sopranos didn't disappoint.

It looked like a few plots were being set up. The last scene with Phil stewing and seeking revenge looks like they are opening up for an interesting road to the final episodes.

Ian
04-23-2007, 09:03 AM
Hmmm ... interesting episode last night ... I'm not sure what I thought about that one. It was sort of .... odd ...

I didn't really get the motivation behind Tony and the tension over whacking Paulie. I mean the whole thing seemed a little manufactured to me. Like Chase went, "Gee, I need a way to get Paulie and Tony alone so people can wonder if Paulie is going to get whacked ... how about the FBI digs up an old body, Tony and Paulie inexplicably run away to Florida to hide from them, and then at the end I'll find a facile solution to the body problem because it's not really relevant to the series in general."

Also, did anyone besides me find the Asian guy in the Uncle Junior plotline a little creepy in light of the whole Virginia Tech thing? He was a little too "Cho Seung-Hui-ish" for comfort.

DVC2004
04-23-2007, 09:47 AM
My thoughts exactly. One of the weaker episodes IMHO. And I thought the same thing about the Asian guy. I know it was filmed prior but just creepy.:confused:

Hmmm ... interesting episode last night ... I'm not sure what I thought about that one. It was sort of .... odd ...

I didn't really get the motivation behind Tony and the tension over whacking Paulie. I mean the whole thing seemed a little manufactured to me. Like Chase went, "Gee, I need a way to get Paulie and Tony alone so people can wonder if Paulie is going to get whacked ... how about the FBI digs up an old body, Tony and Paulie inexplicably run away to Florida to hide from them, and then at the end I'll find a facile solution to the body problem because it's not really relevant to the series in general."

Also, did anyone besides me find the Asian guy in the Uncle Junior plotline a little creepy in light of the whole Virginia Tech thing? He was a little too "Cho Seung-Hui-ish" for comfort.

ldn324
04-23-2007, 10:02 AM
Yep, I thought last night's episode was a little strange. Kind of like "hey Uncle Junior hasn't been featured in a while - let's throw him a story line". I didn't think about the creepiness of the Asian guy - we were actually just wondering where that guy came from since we didn't remember seeing him before.

Great shot with Big "P" (Vincent Pastore - not sure I can use his actual name here) towards the end.

So now they've shown the tension and the possible hostility between Bobby and Tony, now Paulie and Tony. Who's next? We know Tony has issues with Christopher but we've never seen any issues with Syl. Maybe next week is Syl's turn to get paranoid??

I was hoping the found body was a little more exciting. I'm still hoping that Ade comes back into play somehow. I'd like to see Christopher pay for what he did to her (I know Syl pulled the trigger, but it was because of Chris). If Ade had just done the jail time, she'd probably still be alive...who knows, maybe she IS still alive??? We never actually saw the body...

Ian
04-23-2007, 11:37 AM
This came from the EW.com review of last night's episode and kind of backs up what I said:

... that's where this episode (written by Terrence Winter, directed by Phil Abraham) felt so strained and stubbornly inert. Paulie's done a lot of dumb stuff in his time; much as he denied it, it was, indeed, he who vengefully passed along the rude jokes about Ginny Sack. But why should this night be different from any other night? No convincing case was made for Tony to be seriously fed up with the goon, and the heavy visual hinting that took place on the charter fishing boat (including shots of a usable ax, a usable knife, and a flashback to Big "P" on his final boat ride) was far less sophisticated than the show's usual standards.

ldn324, it's funny you pointed that out about how each week it's been someone else's turn to be on Tony's bad side. I was thinking the same thing and came to the same conclusion ... is it Syl's turn next week?

Does anyone besides me wonder how they're going to drive this series to any kind of satisfying conclusion from where we are now in only 6 episodes?

DVC2004
04-23-2007, 01:26 PM
I really didn't get why Tony would be dwelling on the whole Ginny Sack joke thing.I mean, I know he was annoyed with Paulie gabbing to everyone. John's dead, Ralph's dead. What does it matter now at this point? Also the thing with the body, some guy from 25 years ago? I guess it was a way to build the trouble with the Feds plotline. my husband is convinced the show will end with Tony's incarceration.

How about next week's previews- the spec house and the focus on his gambling?

Ian
04-23-2007, 02:57 PM
My husband is convinced the show will end with Tony's incarceration.

How about next week's previews- the spec house and the focus on his gambling?I have to say, the whole gambling sub-plot was a little confusing. One under-the-radar moment was when he called Heche to ask him to borrow $200,000. Since when does Tony need money??

And also, why after all these years, does he suddenly have some kind of gambling problem? That doesn't make sense. The guy has been rolling in cash throughout the entire series (anyone remember the wads of cash stored in the birdseed out back???). Now all of a sudden he's broke? Very odd ...

But I agree about the incarceration thing ... either that or he's going to do some kind of disappearing act. I can almost guarantee he won't get "whacked", though, because I read somewhere that Chase hasn't ruled out doing a Sopranos movie. Might be tough to do that if your star character was dead.

Hey on that note ... watching last night made me think about something ... how great would, "The Sopranos: The Early Years" be as a new HBO show??

You could show Tony coming up and how things were when his Dad ran the crew ... all those great old characters like Jackie Apreil and young Uncle Junior and crazy young, buffed out Paulie Walnuts ... I think a show like that would kill in the ratings (pun definitely intended!).

DVC2004
04-23-2007, 06:20 PM
Hey on that note ... watching last night made me think about something ... how great would, "The Sopranos: The Early Years" be as a new HBO show??

That would be great! I would watch that!:thumbsup:

Jeff G
04-24-2007, 12:08 PM
Yep, I thought last night's episode was a little strange. Kind of like "hey Uncle Junior hasn't been featured in a while - let's throw him a story line". I didn't think about the creepiness of the Asian guy - we were actually just wondering where that guy came from since we didn't remember seeing him before.

Uncle Junior's role in this episode seemed like it was forced into the script and was more filler material than plot development.

I have to say, the whole gambling sub-plot was a little confusing. One under-the-radar moment was when he called Heche to ask him to borrow $200,000. Since when does Tony need money??

And also, why after all these years, does he suddenly have some kind of gambling problem? That doesn't make sense. The guy has been rolling in cash throughout the entire series (anyone remember the wads of cash stored in the birdseed out back???). Now all of a sudden he's broke? Very odd ...

When I saw this I was thinking the same thing, Tony having a gambling problem and borrowing money seemed a lot strange and doesn't seem to fit with past years. With the final episodes coming I'm willing to bet this will have a lot to do with the outcome of the series. My opinion is it seems to be a forced twist.

You could show Tony coming up and how things were when his Dad ran the crew ... all those great old characters like Jackie Apreil and young Uncle Junior and crazy young, buffed out Paulie Walnuts ... I think a show like that would kill in the ratings (pun definitely intended!).

Awesome idea! There are so many ways to build with this and a retro Sopranos would be top notch.

My opinion on Sunday's episode was as good as this seasons opener was this episode was the complete opposite. The idea of Tony and Paulie fleeing to Miami to get away from the heat of a murder 25 years ago was strange. Especially since it was resolved with someone else taking the rap at the end of the episode(an obvious plot twist with no relevance except to get Paulie and Tony one on one). The strain between Paulie and Tony was obvious and has been there for a while but this episode seemed forced.

It's possible that the writer's are trying to show Tony's paranoia and this is an episode setting up for future episodes.

Like I said above Juniors role seemed forced.

On a positive note, it's good to see Phil rising to the top and whacking the people in his way. It's potraying him as ruthless and should set up for some intese moments in the weeks to come.

DVC2004
04-30-2007, 08:25 AM
Thoughts on last night?

I don't know, last night I thought was just, well, blah. The gambling problem thing seemed to come from nowhere. Also that fight with Carmela, I was very surprised she just sort of accepted the apology.

I thought the first two episodes started off great, but these last two I must admit have been disappointing...

ldn324
04-30-2007, 12:00 PM
I'm a little disappointed in Tony's gambling addiction. I guess I've just always thought of him having more control than that.

With that being said, it seems obvious that the gambling aspect is going to play a significant role in the remaining shows. Seems like a strange twist, but I'd be willing to bet the writers know exactly what they are doing and they won't let us down.

Lots of unanswered questions this week and the previews for next week certainly appears to answer some of them. Too quiet this week with the Phil storyline. Something's gotta give pretty soon there. BTW, but did anyone else find Phil's "Leotardi" speech (was it last week or week before?) one of the most hilarious scenes in quite some time!

DVC2004
04-30-2007, 12:38 PM
Yes, that "Leotardi" speech was funny! I thought it was funny, too, that he's telling the kids and of course they could care less. It was lost on them.;) And why not just change the name back? DH and I were both laughing.

DVC2004
05-07-2007, 08:39 AM
Thoughts on last night? It was better, I thought, than the last two episodes but still I was not too excited. Storyline with Chris, more set up for the finale. Only 4 more episodes.

ldn324
05-07-2007, 10:40 AM
:spoiler: Definitely lots going on last night.

Does the thought of being just like his father excite or disgust A.J.? Hmmm... And who is the "mystery" date Meadow went out with? Is this going to surprise us?

Christopher really lost it, that's for sure. I have to admit, I was really kind of upset that he "offed" J.T. just like that, although J.T. really lived a lot longer than I thought he would have. I'm still convinced that the whole Adriana thing is not over with. Seems like her name or a reference to her pops up in every episode.

Paule tearing up Christopher's yard - anyone else think that it was hilarious? Paulie cracks me up. Does that make me weird?

Only 4 more to go. I knew that the count was getting low, but hearing it again just really hit home as to how little time we have left with the Soprano family. We're Italian, so every Sunday night for what seems like forever we've had our macaroni & gravy with a side of Sopranos...what will we ever do with our Sunday nights now??:confused:

DVC2004
05-14-2007, 08:17 AM
Thoughts on last night? I didn't expect that to happen at all (Chris).

GothMickey
05-14-2007, 08:35 AM
I was shocked. Then again, I wasn't. The accident was a perfect way for Tony to rub out Chris without actually killing him. i really don't know which way this is going to turn now. Tony is still a piece of dirt.

ldn324
05-14-2007, 08:53 AM
That definitely got my attention. I kind of figured when I saw them crashing that the wheels in Tony's mind were already turning. He had to know that Chris was using again and the timing couldn't have been more perfect to dispose of him.

I have to say, I'm happy Chris is gone. I never liked him - he killed the dog, got Ade killed, shot J.T. - just an overall disgusting person (not that the other guys are stand-up citizens or anything :D, I just liked Chris the least of them all) Does make you wonder though, does Tony have any loyalty to anyone?? Not just the guys, but his own family too??

It is interesting how A.J.'s storyline is working. It certainly appears that he is disgusted with the whole idea of what his father stands for - the hate and violence. That part is refreshing, especially after A.J. went through that rebellious spell.

One thing you have to say is that there are so many twists and turns, that there is absolutely no indication of how it's all going to end. Just 3 more to go...and I bet they will leave us guessing until the very last second - exactly the way they should :thumbsup: .

Bethanymouse
05-14-2007, 09:29 PM
I was not happy at all with last nights episode. One of the most disappointed yet.

Ian
05-15-2007, 06:53 AM
A shocking episode, but not an entirely surprising one I guess.

Did anyone besides me think it had an odd quality to it, though? Especially the latter half? What was with Tony in Vegas and the peyote?? Weird ... what does he "get"?

DVC2004
05-15-2007, 08:13 AM
A shocking episode, but not an entirely surprising one I guess.

Did anyone besides me think it had an odd quality to it, though? Especially the latter half? What was with Tony in Vegas and the peyote?? Weird ... what does he "get"?

I agree, I told my husband I thought it was an odd episode. I said the same thing, what does he get? Also thought it was odd that he was partaking in the drugs after all the history with Chris and his feelings about his addictions.

Ian
05-15-2007, 09:00 AM
I almost got a vibe like when Tony was shot and he had all those odd dreams and fantasies ... anyone think maybe he was seriously injured or killed in that wreck?

DVC2004
05-15-2007, 01:27 PM
I almost got a vibe like when Tony was shot and he had all those odd dreams and fantasies ... anyone think maybe he was seriously injured or killed in that wreck?

Very interesting! We will have to wait and see!

ldn324
05-15-2007, 01:37 PM

Definitely an interesting possibility :scratch: The episode definitely had an eerie feeling to it, unlike any others that I recall.

Actually, the second time Tony was at Dr. Melfi's, I kept thinking he was repeating himself from the visit before - almost like it was a dream Tony (or even Dr. Melfi) was having. I didn't mention anything to DH as we were watching, because I thought maybe I had just not been paying attention at the first visit.

I did ask DH what he thought Tony "got" at the end. We couldn't figure that out either. Other than just he finally got freedom from Christopher - worrying about being ratted out, etc. It's got to be deeper than that though, right?

ibrowse17
05-15-2007, 01:58 PM
Anyone else notice that the song "Comfortably Numb" has been in the show two weeks in a row? Last week Tony was singing it as he came down the steps at his house. This week it was playing just before the car wreck. Wonder if that means anything?:thumbsup:

Ian
05-21-2007, 07:09 AM
Wow, only two episodes left, huh?? I can't possibly imagine how they're going to wrap all this up in any kind of neat package, so I'm assuming it's going to end in an unsatisfying way.

It looks like things with Tony and Phil are going to come to a head soon. Should be an interesting final 2!

ldn324
05-21-2007, 08:56 AM
I too was thinking there are a lot of things that I don't see being tied up in two more episodes. Maybe that means it will be open-ended to allow for future shows or that movie idea that was tossed around??

Pretty intense episode last night. The previews for the next one (in two weeks, no show next Sunday) really didn't give any indication as to what's going to happen. Just that it will be exciting :thumbsup: . I'm kind of glad for the break next week - gives me the illusion of three more weeks with the "family" instead of just two!

Ian
05-21-2007, 09:25 AM
I'm kind of glad for the break next week - gives me the illusion of three more weeks with the "family" instead of just two!That's so funny ... I felt the same way!!

Auntie
05-27-2007, 09:22 PM
Anything interesting last week?...May 20th? I was at the WL and didn't watch. Was there an episode? I noticed there is nothing this week...May 27th. When does the show resume, and will that be the final episode?

NJDad
05-28-2007, 06:24 AM
Anything interesting last week?...May 20th? I was at the WL and didn't watch. Was there an episode? I noticed there is nothing this week...May 27th. When does the show resume, and will that be the final episode?

Interesting? You betcha.

It's on again Thursday May 31, 9 PM and 3 hours later at midnight on HBOWest. Make sure you're caught up...

Auntie
05-28-2007, 10:11 PM
Thanks so much for letting me know when it's going to be on again. I got a bit of what I missed from my sister, but she didn't want to tell me too much...hoping I'd be able to catch the repeat during the week. I'll be sure to watch.:thumbsup:

ldn324
06-04-2007, 06:55 AM
WOW :eyes: Last night was certainly exciting. I guess we are down to the wire now. Will Tony have enough men left to fight off Phil's men?? Who's going down at the end? With 2 key men gone now, Tony's really got to rely on those he has left. Question is, can he??

DH thinks that at the end next week we will hear shots as the screen goes dark, not knowing who's been hit, leaving it open for a return to screen in one form or another.

I don't want next Sunday to get here - I don't want it to end!!

Ian
06-04-2007, 09:01 AM
Wow ... that was something ... not at all what I expected, to be honest.

Chrissy gone, Bobby gone, Sil gone, Dr. Melfi gives up on Tony ... it's hardly the Sopranos anymore. I honestly didn't think it would end this way. I thought Chase would give us a "happier" ending than this.

I don't want next week to come either, because I don't think I'm going to like the final episode.

ldn324
06-07-2007, 12:12 PM
I'm changing my quote on Yahoo 360 and I want to use one from last week's Sopranos, but I can't remember it word for word.

Phil's ordering the hit on Tony and his crew, mentions Bobby's name and one of Phil's guys says "that mortadella is number three?..." I can't remember the rest - something like "he used to be Junior's driver" to which Phil replies something like "yeah, well you used to sell appliances out of the back of your Crown Vic". Anybody remember it word for word?? I don't know why, I just find that line funny. Of course, Phil usually says the funniest lines of almost anyone on the show (reference the "Leotardi" speech a few weeks back :funny:)

DizneyFreak2002
06-10-2007, 11:58 PM
All I can say to the ending of this series is WHAT IS DAVID CHASE THINKING??? Terrible, just terrible ending....

DREAMADREAM93
06-11-2007, 12:00 AM
All I can say to the ending of this series is WHAT IS DAVID CHASE THINKING??? Terrible, just terrible ending....

Exactly, terrible ending. And i dont see how people are trying to interpret it. It is just too ... unfinished!

Namine'
06-11-2007, 12:13 AM

I totally agree!!!!!

mickeys_princess
06-11-2007, 12:20 AM
My first thought was OH MY GOD THE CABLE JUST WENT OUT! Then the credits started. UUhhh??? I dont get it. :confused::confused:

DizneyFreak2002
06-11-2007, 12:28 AM
My first thought was OH MY GOD THE CABLE JUST WENT OUT! Then the credits started. UUhhh??? I dont get it. :confused::confused:

I thought the same thing... Cable went out... Then the credits rolled with no music... Sad thing is, with how disappointed I am in the ending, I would still see the movie if one does come out... And of course, I will buy the DVDs of this season LOL....

wendy*darling
06-11-2007, 06:57 AM
Me too!! Very unsatisfying ending.
Although I guess that's just the way it is. Everything changes, but everything stays the same. Phil's gone, Tony's still #1, AJ is back on the party scene, Meadow has her plans, Carm just goes on. They dodged another bullet (literally) and continue as a happy family.
Yeah- I'd see the movie too.

NJDad
06-11-2007, 07:05 AM
Whatever Chase did, people would be disappointed. So he let you come up with your own ending.

What could have possibly made everyone happy?

GothMickey
06-11-2007, 08:46 AM
Whatever Chase did, people would be disappointed. So he let you come up with your own ending.

What could have possibly made everyone happy?

An actual ending. That was not an ending. But, I understand why he did it. I loved The Sopranos and I am sad to see it go.

Ian
06-11-2007, 09:13 AM
I gotta be honest ... I am really, really shocked at how many people seemed to miss the meaning of last night's episode.

I guess I shouldn't be, because all along there seem to be some folks who never really got what the show was about, but still ...

Last night's episode was brilliant. It was a perfect ending to a perfect show. There was nothing unfinished or unsatisfying about it. Life goes on for the Soprano family. The more things change, the more they remain the same.

If you all expected some kind of dramatic ending with some sort of finality, you were fooling yourselves. Chase never wraps plotlines up in neat little packages for us. That's half the point of the show ... life is unpredictable and sometimes things just don't have nice, pretty little endings.

What happened at the end? I'm not 100% sure, but I know what I think Chase was trying to do. I think, for those final few minutes, Chase was trying to show us what it was like to be Tony Soprano. Something as simple as sitting down to a meal with your family is an exercise fraught with danger and tension. Can you honestly tell me you weren't completely and totally on the edge of your seat during that final scene?

I loved this show from beginning to end. I love the characters, I love the storylines, and I love the complete and total unpredictability Chase brought to the show, along with a complete and total sense of reality.

I will miss this show and these characters immensely.

ldn324
06-11-2007, 09:26 AM
OK, I took a little time to come up with my thoughts on the ending and here's what I have come up with...for myself anyway.

I think that last night was one of the most creative and well planned out endings to any series of recent memory. In reflection, the entire season (not to mention the series!) was brilliant. There were so many avenues opened up that we really had absolutely no indication how things would end - more specifically how Chase would tie up so many loose ends. That had me worried for a while, then last night it dawned on me that he did that for a reason - so there would be no definite end. Well, there was an end and the end is Chase's gift to all of us viewers - the gift of deciding how we want it to end.

We might never know if something horrible was going to happen in the restaurant, if Sil lives, if Meadow becomes a lawyer, if Uncle Junior remembers where the money is, etc. But best thing about it is, whatever you wanted to happen, that's what you can think happened.

After the black screen and the credits were rolling, DH turned to me and said "wow, my heart's never pounded as hard as it has in the last 5 minutes". I was happy to hear that because my heart was pounding as well! That is the sign of what a legacy The Sopranos will leave, not only on cable, but for any series to follow. We were anxious, worried, confused...right up until the end. If art can stir up so much emotion, then it's done it's job.

NJDad - you hit the nail right on the head (or drove the tire right on the head...yikes, poor joke?? :blush:) There are people who would have been upset if Tony had died, if he'd gone to jail, if Paulie turned on him....there was no way to make everyone happy. What better way to solve that dillema than to let the viewer's minds think what they want about the future of the "family"?

To David Chase and the entire cast and crew of the show, my deepest thanks and utmost respect for a job well done! :thumbsup: Ciao for now, Tony. Maybe we'll see you again down the road...

conorsmom2000
06-11-2007, 09:30 AM
What happened at the end? I'm not 100% sure, but I know what I think Chase was trying to do. I think, for those final few minutes, Chase was trying to show us what it was like to be Tony Soprano. Something as simple as sitting down to a meal with your family is an exercise fraught with danger and tension. Can you honestly tell me you weren't completely and totally on the edge of your seat during that final scene?

I have to agree - while I'm definitely a person who likes closure, I thought the ending was brilliant - I was half hiding behind a book during that last scene in the diner because it was so tense - you just kept thinking "this is it!!"....when that one guy came in, and then went to the restroom, I was so expecting him to pull a gun....even Meadow parking the car, I was expecting something.....actually, I thought that every scene had that kind of tense build up, only to have nothing happen (aside from Phil!) but moving on to the next scene. But, I think that was kind of the point - this is a normal day for them, to live with that kind of tension, expecting the worst, never knowing what may happen. Sure, a part of me would have liked things tied up in a neat little package, but the bottom line is that life goes on and life itself is rarely tied up in a neat little package! :thumbsup:

Ian
06-11-2007, 09:43 AM
After the black screen and the credits were rolling, DH turned to me and said "wow, my heart's never pounded as hard as it has in the last 5 minutes". I was happy to hear that because my heart was pounding as well!Mine, too, and I said the exact same thing to DW after it was over.

And that's one of the things I thought was so beautiful about the ending ... for those five minutes all of us actually became Tony Soprano. I can honestly say I have never felt tension like that over a T.V. show ... any T.V. show ever.

ibrowse17
06-11-2007, 10:12 AM
I thought my DW had hit the mute button, and yelled at her. I am sorry or that. I also laughed out loud when Phil got "popped".

PirateLover
06-11-2007, 12:55 PM
First off I think that it was terrible to try to give viewers across the nation a heart attack by thinking that their cable went out... but I think the purpose of that black screen was because TONY IS DEAD.
Yes I get the whole "making you feel tense" thing. I mean the focus on Meadow parking the car... that was driving me nuts haha. But if you remember back to episode 1 of this season when Tony and Bobby are out on the lake, they are talking about getting popped. Bobby says something along the lines of "You probably don't even hear it." And what happened... the screen goes black, and there is complete silence. Chase also gave an interview at one point saying that everything you needed to know to understand this season is given to you in that first episode. So I really think this was his intention, but that it wasn't shown on screen for two reasons: 1) It would enrage many fans and 2) Just in case they decide to bring everyone back, they can explain it away.
But I think that he's dead.

ETA: My other theory is that maybe we as the audience got whacked. Like we are now cut out from his life or something. Any way you look at it I guess it gets people thinking. I was pretty disappointed with the ending at first but now it's growing on me.

Ian
06-11-2007, 02:15 PM
ETA: My other theory is that maybe we as the audience got whacked. Like we are now cut out from his life or something. Any way you look at it I guess it gets people thinking. I was pretty disappointed with the ending at first but now it's growing on me.This is the most common opinion expressed by the professional reviewers who wrote up last night's episode.

For what it's worth, not one of the pro reviewers that I've read thinks Tony was killed.

mjstaceyuofm
06-11-2007, 05:38 PM
...but I think the purpose of that black screen was because TONY IS DEAD.
Yes I get the whole "making you feel tense" thing. I mean the focus on Meadow parking the car... that was driving me nuts haha. But if you remember back to episode 1 of this season when Tony and Bobby are out on the lake, they are talking about getting popped. Bobby says something along the lines of "You probably don't even hear it." And what happened... the screen goes black, and there is complete silence. Chase also gave an interview at one point saying that everything you needed to know to understand this season is given to you in that first episode. So I really think this was his intention, but that it wasn't shown on screen for two reasons: 1) It would enrage many fans and 2) Just in case they decide to bring everyone back, they can explain it away.
But I think that he's dead...I think he's gone too. I had to think about it long and hard, but that's what I came up with.

The whole tenseness of that last scene was brilliant though.

Ian
06-11-2007, 06:18 PM
If he got whacked, who killed him? He just did away with his last main rival. He won the war with Phil ... I just don't get who was responsible for the hit, if there was one (which I don't think there was).

Also ... Tony has a self-preservation sense like no others. He's survived at the very top of the mob food chain for years. If he got even a whiff that something was up with one of those obviously shady looking characters, he would have bolted. And every single mob hit in this show ever is done by the killer or killers walking in, walking up to the target, firing, and leaving. If "the guy in the Member's Only jacket" was the killer, it was totally out of character for the show for him to have been hanging out there and waiting around.

Plus, the inclusion of Don't Stop Believin' pretty much indicates that life goes on, does it not? Check out these lyrics:

Oh, the movie never ends
It goes on and on and on and on

DizneyFreak2002
06-11-2007, 06:47 PM
The guy who walked into the bathroom was one of Phil Leotardo's family members, look at how he is credited, I think, Nicky Leotardo... there ya go....

Ian
06-11-2007, 08:00 PM
The guy who walked into the bathroom was one of Phil Leotardo's family members, look at how he is credited, I think, Nicky Leotardo... there ya go....No, that's totally not true. The guy who walked into the bathroom was credited as "Man in the Members Only Jacket." I'm pretty sure Nicky Leotardo is one of Phil's grandkids.

Also, do you really think Tony wouldn't notice if one of Phil's family members was standing at the counter??

None of those shady characters the end was anybody. They were merely meant to represent the fact that Tony has to live in constant fear ... anyone could be a threat to him and his family.

Read the plot summary for this epsiode on HBO.com ... Tony is the first to arrive at Holsten's for a family dinner. He sits in a booth and plays a song on the jukebox, watching the door. Carmela enters and joins him, asking about his meeting with Mink. He tells her Carlo's gonna testify and she takes the news with a sigh. AJ arrives next, complaining about the more mundane tasks of his job but quotes old advice from his father: "Try to remember the times that were good." Meanwhile, Meadow struggles to parallel park outside. Customers come and go - a shady looking guy who's been sitting at the counter enters the restroom. Finally parking the car, Meadow runs inside to join her family, just in time for dinner.

There's no mention of any Leotardo being there at the end. Just a "shady looking guy" ...

DREAMADREAM93
06-11-2007, 08:07 PM
No, that's totally not true. The guy who walked into the bathroom was credited as "Man in the Members Only Jacket." I'm pretty sure Nicky Leotardo is one of Phil's grandkids.

Also, do you really think Tony wouldn't notice if one of Phil's family members was standing at the counter??

None of those shady characters the end was anybody. They were merely meant to represent the fact that Tony has to live in constant fear ... anyone could be a threat to him and his family.

Read the plot summary for this epsiode on HBO.com ... Tony is the first to arrive at Holsten's for a family dinner. He sits in a booth and plays a song on the jukebox, watching the door. Carmela enters and joins him, asking about his meeting with Mink. He tells her Carlo's gonna testify and she takes the news with a sigh. AJ arrives next, complaining about the more mundane tasks of his job but quotes old advice from his father: "Try to remember the times that were good." Meanwhile, Meadow struggles to parallel park outside. Customers come and go - a shady looking guy who's been sitting at the counter enters the restroom. Finally parking the car, Meadow runs inside to join her family, just in time for dinner.

There's no mention of any Leotardo being there at the end. Just a "shady looking guy" ...

so far i agree with this post and your previous posts. it was such a terrible ending, that there is no way to interpret it what so ever. did he live or did he die? No matter how you debate it, there is no way to know for sure. What were they thinking ending such a great show like this!?

JOrdan :]

Ian
06-11-2007, 09:22 PM
Okay ... strike what I said earlier ... the whole "Nicky Leotardo" thing is not only not relevant, it's a complete farce.

I just watched the final episode again (and the final credits twice) and there is no credit for anyone named "Nicky Leotardo." The only Leotardo credited is Patty, who is Phil's wife.

Also ... having just watched the ending for the third time now, I came away even more certain that I was right the first time. The significance of the final sequence is just to show that Tony can never truly relax ... everytime that door opens it could be someone coming for him.

But no one ever did. They showed virtually every patron in the restaurant the same way they showed the guy in the Member's Only jacket. And Tony looked right at that guy at least twice. If he was someone gunning for him he would have known it.

No ... I think the message of this episode was what I said earlier ... life goes on and the more things change the more they remain the same. Somewhere, right now, Tony is sitting on his couch, eating ice cream, and watching the History channel. We're just no longer fortunate enough to be able to share his story with him.

PirateLover
06-11-2007, 10:23 PM
I don't know who would've killed him... but I think it's a possibility. There is motivation... yes Phil's crew insinuated that they wouldn't care if he was taken out, but the hit happened in front of his wife and grandkids. That might not have sat well with some people, thus they wanted to get Tony in a similar manner which is why they would wait until the whole family was there. Is that the most likely scenario, no, but it's plausible in my opinion. That is why the ending was made in that way. There are multiple interpretations. Look at the song that was under the one he chose... "Any Way You Want It"

wendy*darling
06-11-2007, 10:28 PM
Everything changes, but everything stays the same... They dodged another bullet (literally) and continue as a happy family.

Life goes on for the Soprano family. The more things change, the more they remain the same.

I agree.
And it was probably the most tense 5 minutes of TV viewing I can remember.
DH watched it tonight (it was hard for him to avoid all the water cooler talk today but he did it!). I watched the ending again with him- mostly to see his reaction. ;) Same furrowed brow look I must have had! Then, "what's going on?" and then the "aha!" look. OK, life goes on!

Although I did get the "life continues" part, I admit I was disappointed at first. I don't know what I expected, but it wasn't what we got. Today, I am perfectly happy with the ending and applaud David Chase.

Ian
06-12-2007, 09:05 AM
This really should put the issue to rest ... this text comes from an interview with David Chase in yesterday's Newark Star Ledger. He's talking about why doing a movie would be difficult:

Another problem: Over the last season, Chase killed so many key characters. He's toyed with the idea of "going back to a day in 2006 that you didn't see, but then (Tony's children) would be older than they were then and you would know that Tony doesn't get killed. It's got problems."

Also equally important:

I feel the need to debunk the e-mail that's making the rounds about all the Holsten's patrons being characters from earlier in the series. The actor playing Members Only guy had never been on the show; Tony killed at least one, if not both, of his carjackers; and there are about 17 other things wrong with this popular but incorrect theory.

PirateLover
06-12-2007, 12:08 PM
This really should put the issue to rest ...
you would know that Tony doesn't get killed. It's got problems."

I don't really think that lays anything to rest. He's admitting that we don't know, and it's up to the viewer to decide, but if they made a movie than it takes away that possibility in the choose-your-own ending scenario, much like I said earlier in this thread.
EDIT: Ok I realized I interpreted that wrong as just read the whole interview in context, what he's referring to here is he toyed with making a movie set back in 2006 but you would know that Tony couldn't die in the movie because he's alive in the TV shows after the movie would be set, but earlier he still says that if a good idea were to present itself he wouldn't be against a movie...

Ian
06-12-2007, 02:59 PM
Actually, I think you're right Maryanne. I posted this before I had finished the entire article and then, after I read and re-read the whole thing, I came to the same conclusion you did.

I was actually headed back here to retract what I said, but saw you had beaten me to it. ;)

I still don't think he was killed, though.

DVC2004
07-08-2007, 11:53 AM
Man oh man, I was travelling on business for the last 7 weeks and did not have HBO. Talk about torture, as huge of a fan I am!I had to miss the last two episodes but I was able to get to a TV with HBO for the finale. As you guys said, tense!!! Those last few minutes. I also think Tony was not clipped and agree with the life goes on thing. I didn't want to see him go that's for sure, but still I felt very "unresloved" at the end. Never will there be another series this good. :( So sad to see it end, but what a ride it was!

Ian
10-23-2007, 05:52 PM
Okay, NOW we can put the whole "Tony got killed" thing to rest ... Chase has spoken ... almost ...

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/10/23/tv.sopranos.davidchase.ap/index.html