PDA

View Full Version : I might actually stay at the Wilderness Lodge now

Septbride2002
03-23-2007, 01:47 PM
Looks like they finally redecorated the rooms to a much higher standard then just making it look like camp. :)

pox24
03-23-2007, 01:59 PM
That's different. Never saw it that way before. When I was a kid the camps I went to never looked that good.

Septbride2002
03-23-2007, 02:01 PM
;) I guess I should preface my post by saying I think the lobby and courtyard of the Wilderness Lodge are amazing and beautiful. LOVE how relaxing they both are and if I could sleep in the lobby - I would book there everytime.

The room decor didn't match up to the bar set by the lobby. As someone here once said it is, "understated." It just didn't live up to the majesty that is the Wilderness Lodge. But now they are revamping and the rooms look much better! Not just a bed to look like it is made out of logs - but real decor. LOVE IT!

~Amanda

castlelady36
03-23-2007, 02:10 PM
This will be my first time staying at WL this summer and the updated rooms look very nice. I hope we get into one of those but if not I am still looking forward to seeing this resort.

Spaceship Tigger
03-23-2007, 02:13 PM
While I like the look of the new rooms (especially the flat-panel TVs), I also really liked the old decor. I wish I could have bought some of the pieces when they were up for sale last year. I especially liked the old armoire, and for $200 it was a steal - but they wanted about $400 to ship it.

vicster
03-23-2007, 02:17 PM
We stayed there last September and the rooms are awsome. Although I think they need to repalce the sinks as they're getting old looking. We love everything about WL and will probably stay there again this year.

KevGuy
03-23-2007, 02:23 PM
I like the fact the rooms have bunk beds for the kids, we will probably be staying at WL on our next trip. Just a matter of if we do concierge or not.:mickey:

Jasper
03-23-2007, 02:26 PM
I have camped my entire life and have to say that what was at the Wilderness Lodge before the revamp was far nicer than anything I ever stayed in at ANY camp. I thought WL had a very well thought out, very posh theme going on before.

I haven't seen the new look yet so I can't comment on it.

JoDisney
03-23-2007, 02:56 PM
I have to agree, Jasper, I love the decor at the WL. We treat ourselves to this resort at the end of each school year. Our friends and all our kids love it. We always get a courtyard view room and drink it all in. It is so wonderful for family and friends to get together and enjoy the wilderness and Disney.

TikiGoddess
03-23-2007, 06:10 PM
Thanks for the link! Now I'm REALLY excited for our first stay at the WL this summer!!

TikiG

SgtTigger
03-23-2007, 07:30 PM
Gee Amanda..................

I liked it before so much I bought two room full of furniture and now have them in my House..................

And No I dont like the rooms now...... Are you useing your DVC to stay there???? Because that would be in the Villas and they dont have the same Decor............

:cop: :tigger:

Auntie
03-23-2007, 09:30 PM
While I like the look of the new rooms (especially the flat-panel TVs), I also really liked the old decor. I wish I could have bought some of the pieces when they were up for sale last year. I especially liked the old armoire, and for $200 it was a steal - but they wanted about $400 to ship it.

We looked into purchasing the furniture also..but the cost to ship any of it was more than double the cost of the furniture itself. It would have been great if we lived closer..and could transport it ourselves. I have a trip planned to the Lodge in May, and I am anxious to see the new decor. Honestly from the pictues alone..I think I prefer the old decor at this point..but I hope to have my mind changed when we get there. Sure wish we had something from the olds rooms..would have been nice.

Septbride2002
03-24-2007, 10:02 AM
Gee Amanda..................

I liked it before so much I bought two room full of furniture and now have them in my House..................

And No I dont like the rooms now...... Are you useing your DVC to stay there???? Because that would be in the Villas and they dont have the same Decor............

:cop: :tigger:

Ya know how it is - different strokes for different folks. If you loved it before - that's great. I'm sure there are things about Disney that I love that you don't.

No, our home resort is the BWV and since we'll be going for the first time as DVC members we decided to stay there first. We've never been there so we are really looking forward to it.

~Amanda

BrerGnat
03-24-2007, 05:09 PM
you know, the pictures don't do it justice. In person, it is MUCH nicer and more colorful. There are cute little disney touches everywhere too once you look.

I much prefer the new decor.

However, to be fair, the "old" decor did NOT consist of log furniture. The beds were mission style dark wood, weren't they? The NEW furniture actually has a "log" feel. However, it does NOT feel like camp. I hate camping. I love the WL.

My favorite part of the new decor is honestly the curved shower rod in the bathroom. It's awesome how much extra room that creates. :)

darthmacho
03-25-2007, 10:46 AM
I'm sure the new furniture is nice, but I was quite happy with the old furniture too. I love the Wilderness Lodge. :pine:

Spaceship Tigger
03-26-2007, 07:09 AM
However, to be fair, the "old" decor did NOT consist of log furniture. The beds were mission style dark wood, weren't they? The NEW furniture actually has a "log" feel. However, it does NOT feel like camp. I hate camping. I love the WL.

I agree. The new furniture actually looks much more 'outdoorsy' than the old. The old bed and chairs were more southwestern than wilderness. The new ones are more in the log style.

We just decided to switch our upcoming reservation from the AKL to the WL (due to the AKL Villas construction), so I can't wait to see the new furniture.

wendybird
03-27-2007, 12:53 AM
Sorry - I must have missed the link. Where can we see pictures of new room decor?

Melanie
03-27-2007, 06:08 AM
The new decor looks awesome! Can't wait to stay there in a couple of years. :pine:

LarryBoy
03-27-2007, 10:30 AM
Sorry - I must have missed the link. Where can we see pictures of new room decor?

ditto? Where are the pictures of the new rooms?

lyle21
03-27-2007, 02:14 PM
i'd like to see pictures as well.

i love everything about the wilderness lodge except for the rooms. too dark. too small. unattractive. honestly, the rooms keep me from giving this resort another try. a shame considering how lovely everything else is.

BrerGnat
03-27-2007, 06:58 PM
I took several pictures of our room in February. If you PM me with your email address, I'd be glad to share them with anyone who is interested.

magicgal
03-31-2007, 04:14 PM
Were all of the rooms refurbished?

garymacd
04-01-2007, 11:23 AM
Looks like they finally redecorated the rooms to a much higher standard then just making it look like camp. :)

Camp, to me, was a mouldy old canvas tent my dad scavenged from someone, air mattresses and sleeping bags, a five gallon plastic water jug my brothers and I had to refill and carry (not my sister, though), a Coleman stove and a KYBO down the lane - bring your own TP:ack:!

Oooh! Don't forget to spray the tent full of Raid while you are in it to kill the mosquitoes!

I didn't realise WL was so rustic!:camp:

Auntie
04-01-2007, 12:30 PM
Never looked like a camp to me either. I would have loved to have some of the furniture from the old rooms in my home..but the shipping was too expensive. I only wish I'd lived closer..would have brought it home myself. I am scheduled for a trip to the WL in May..and it's our first visit in four years. I only hope I love the new furniture as much as I did the old. :thumbsup:

BellewanaB
04-01-2007, 01:08 PM
Reasons to LOVE the WL...

1.) The price is right! It's not uber cheap and not off the wall expensive and if you're into keeping your eye open to online travel sites and/or travel during off times you can find AWESOME deals! (under $200/night)

2.) The rooms are not 'fabulous', but why would you want them to be? You're so close to the parks and have awesome recreation at your won hotel!

3.) Like I was saying, recreation...
You can rent bikes, surries, boats, you have a B E A U T I F U L pool with a slide and a waterfall, geisers that go off, a fantastic fitness center and you can scoot down to the Fort Wilderness for the petting zoo, horse rides, camp movies, shall I keep going?

4.) Transportation- besides the regular resort perks of busses you can also take peaceful boat rides to MK or other resorts AND you can watch the night time water parade.

5.) Food, blessed food! You have SO much to choose from whether it's the class and unbelievable wine selection of Artist Point to the wit and whimsy of Whispering Canyons ("Did wash your hands? Well then what color is the soap?" ahhh....ahh....) to even the convenience of Roaring Forks.

There it is- the Disney expereince without paying throuh the nose. If I won a free stay anywhere would I choose this over the GF- heck no! But if ever I can afford an upgrade again (or have friends that let me mooch off their stay again) I am SO there!
Besides, even when I don't stay there I still visit all the time, anyway. :mickey: