PDA

View Full Version : Bagpipes

offwego
03-23-2007, 01:12 PM
Do you like them or not?
One was playing outside my office and it got me to thinking how do people feel about them??

Mickey'sGirl
03-23-2007, 01:22 PM
Hate 'em -- unless someone is playing "Highland Cathederal" It is the ONLY exception.

CanadianWDWFan
03-23-2007, 01:23 PM
They are a tradition! I like them in certain situations. When there is a parade, there is nothing like the sound of the pipes and the snare drums!:pipes: :drum:

One of the most incredible memories that I have of the bagpipes is of the Lone Piper ontop of the castle in Edinburgh . He was playing "Amazing Grace". It was a sight as well as a sound I'll never forget. Believe it or not it was VERY moving.

Strmchsr
03-23-2007, 01:23 PM
I like em alot when played well. When not played well it sounds more like goose being strangled, which I would prefer not to hear.

Nascfan
03-23-2007, 01:32 PM
It really depends for me.
A good rendition of Amazing Grace on pipes can make me bawl like a baby.
But some other songs or times, yep, goose being strangled, cats being tortured, you name it.

ibrowse17
03-23-2007, 01:41 PM
"The piper is down!" Great line from a funny movie. Love the bagpipes and drums.:thumbsup:

Mickey'sGirl
03-23-2007, 02:03 PM
"The piper is down!" Great line from a funny movie. Love the bagpipes and drums.:thumbsup:
That would be So I Married an Axe Murderer..... Loved it! :thumbsup:

conorsmom2000
03-23-2007, 02:35 PM
I guess being Irish has installed a strong love of bagpipes in both Mike and myself. One of our biggest disappointments at our wedding was that the bagpiper who was to play outside the church didn't show up.

Though, sadly, as I've gotten older, bagpipes bring back sad memories of too many funerals, especially both our Moms. "Amazing Grace" instantly reminds me of my Mom's burial as it was her favorite song and I, too, cry like a baby when I hear it. :(

Marilyn Michetti
03-23-2007, 02:39 PM
I love them, but it has to be more than just marching sound. AND, it can't just be Amazing Grace unless it's the rendition at the end of Star Trek where Spock dies.

I like the contemporary sound of Off Kilter.:thumbsup:

darthmacho
03-23-2007, 02:57 PM
:pipes: Finally, an excuse to use the bagpipes smilie!

Lovem'! There's something so hauntingly beautiful about them, no wonder the Scottish used to strike fear into their enemies in battle by playing them.

Jasper
03-23-2007, 03:14 PM
In the hands of an expert they are wonderful. In the hands of an amateur, they become an instrument of torture!!

My father used to say that a poorly played bagpipe reminded him of the sounds that would be made by a bunch of long tailed cats trapped in a room full of rocking chairs!

drummerboy
03-23-2007, 03:27 PM
Like them a lot in limited quantities. I have a nephew who plays them, although I've never had the chance to hear him.

SgtTigger
03-23-2007, 07:59 PM
A good rendition of Amazing Grace on pipes can make me bawl like a baby.

I have been to Police Funerals and memorials and yes they play Amazing Grace at everyone.......
With that being said I have gotten hooked on Offkilter since the last trip.... I will be buying a few of there albums soon..... They have a version of Amazing Grace that is jazzed up at the end....... I told my wife...... I want that played at my funeral...........
Yes, I will be spending a lot of time in Canada this trip.........

:cop: :tigger:

Disney Babe
03-23-2007, 08:52 PM
I saw a man practicing his bagpipe in the park one day. It was really cool. For some reason they make me feel calm.

For those of you that enjoy hearing Amazing Grace, I highly recommend the movie of the same name. And I don't think it would be a spoiler to say that at the end of the movie there is a band of bagpipers playing the song.

Marilyn Michetti
03-23-2007, 09:20 PM
I saw a man practicing his bagpipe in the park one day. It was really cool. For some reason they make me feel calm.

For those of you that enjoy hearing Amazing Grace, I highly recommend the movie of the same name. And I don't think it would be a spoiler to say that at the end of the movie there is a band of bagpipers playing the song.

Wonder why the man had to go to the park to practice. I have an image of his poor wife kicking him out of the kitchen.:joy: :pipes: :joy:

Caroleh
03-23-2007, 09:51 PM
I love them. I have a belief that you have to have Scottish and/or Irish hertiage to really appreciate them. (to which I have both!!!)

QTPie68
03-24-2007, 10:51 AM
I love them. I have a belief that you have to have Scottish and/or Irish hertiage to really appreciate them. (to which I have both!!!)

I am with you Carol.....must be in the blood :thumbsup: .

I love bagpipes, fav part of a parade for me!

Cinderelley
03-24-2007, 09:24 PM
I also like the bagpipes. My kids know that I want Amazing Grace played with bagpipes at my funeral. (My sister suggested "Another One Bites the Dust" :D ) We are of Irish descent, but we don't do any Irish traditions or anything. Being from the southwest U.S., I don't know if I even know any Irish traditions.

sunlyon
03-26-2007, 09:11 AM

:ditto: Carol. I have both in my ancestry and there is nothing that can stir the heart like the skirl of the 'pipes. I often listen to Highlander radio on the internet just to listen to them...

mickeys_princess_mom
03-28-2007, 08:42 PM
With that being said I have gotten hooked on Offkilter since the last trip.... I will be buying a few of there albums soon..... They have a version of Amazing Grace that is jazzed up at the end....... I told my wife...... I want that played at my funeral...........
Yes, I will be spending a lot of time in Canada this trip.........:cop: :tigger:
I couldn't believe it was taking this long for Offkilter to come up on this post! LOVE them, too! I have the same request. Actually have a cousin who had bagpipes at her wedding in a small hundred-year-old church, and there wasn't a dry eye in the place. Gorgeous.

Dixie Springs
03-31-2007, 02:29 PM
I like them, and it may be due to Scottish heritage. They remind me of my grandfather, Off-Kilter, and Groundskeeper Willie.

The Scots have do have some inside jokes, knowing that not everyone appreciates the instrument:

Why do pipers march? They are tyring to get away from the noise!

Definition of a Scottish gentlemen? One who knows how to play the bagpipes, but refrains from doing so.