PDA

View Full Version : Line stories and bump ins... let's hear em!

MonkeyBaby
03-23-2007, 12:20 PM
I am always amazed at the stories I collect while waiting on a ride, and amazed at who I bump into while I am there. These two come from my trip in February.

Whilest strolling through Frontier Land I happen to see a large guy with a kid on his shoulders staring at me. It was like a slow motion film pass as we looked each at each other, and recognition was immediate! It was a good friend I knew from my internship in DC and his wife, they had just married when my wife and I left... And lo behold here he was with five years later with his family! It was neat and so unexpected! We laughed and exchanged e-mails...

The next story is even better! Since I went solo this last time, I found my self chatting more with folks in line. The one that really stick out was a guy by the name of Eddie Mcquiddy from Newcastle England. Nice guy with two anctious young boys. So many UK folks there on holiday it wasn't really that special except...Turns out he had won money on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire in the UK and brought his family on Holiday. His real occupation was ,as he put it; "picking up the rubbish for the council", AKA a garbage man. He was one of the nicest guys I have ever talked to and what a great story to collect... thse are reasons I love these parks so much!

Anybody else?

-Dave

Roger Rabbit 89
03-23-2007, 12:44 PM
I was riding Tricertops spin with my daughter, when I looked down at this lady standing outside the ride. I kept looking and I finally yelled out "Lois". She looked up! I couldn't beleive it, I used to work with her about 8 or 9 years ago. We worked in a clean room together for several years, she was like a mother to me at that job.

I got off the ride and we hugged and talked for a while. My wife was riding the ride with my son. She said she looked over and couldn't beleive I was talking with someone. I almost always run into someone I know when we are on vacation. It has become a running joke in my family.

Michael

disneycouple2004
03-23-2007, 01:14 PM
My wife teaches high school at one of the largest schools in the DFW Texas area so she usually bumps into several people on our trips, however 2 years ago one of my co-workers and his 15 family members went at the same time we did, they stayed at a different resort, and stayed 6 days, we stayed 10 days..and out of the entire 6 days we never seen each other at all anywhere !@!!..then later after we were back home and looking at our video tapes..Magic..there they were all of them..watching a show at Epcot..we stood behind and to the side and got them on video, but never saw them !!:D
pretty funny we thought !!

TikiGoddess
03-23-2007, 01:19 PM
Last year I took my dd (then 3) down for Mother's Day weekend. We were there from Fri morning until Monday afternoon with my brother, his wife, and his 3 yr old.

I had to take a day off of work from my teaching job so we could stay on Monday. I teach music at an elementary school. When I got back from the trip, in the middle of one of my classes, this 2nd grade boy says to me,

"Were you at Disney World this weekend?"

Turns out the kid was there with his family on vacation!

TikiG

threeh
03-23-2007, 01:36 PM
My Aunt and Uncle who live in North Jersey have a neighbor who my son used to play with from time to time. We didn't even know they were in WDW but we bumped into to them at the BC. They were checking into the villas and were waiting in the lobby.

Small world, huh???:mickey:

snowflakegirl
03-23-2007, 01:51 PM
Some background: Before moving to Connecticut DH and I were going to school in Maine where we met. My last year of school DH and I and two of our friends were living on the top floor a house that had been converted into apartments. We became friends with some of the people living in one of the apartments underneath us. At the end of that year we moved to CT so that I could go to grad school.

We got married in January of my first year of grad school and went to WDW for our honeymoon :cloud9: . While picking up packages at the package pickup for Epcot on the third night of our trip I heard someone call Jen. Which is a pretty common name so I didn't think anything of it. When they called my husband's last name (how he was known in school) I turned around and there were two of the people from one of the apartments underneath us.

When I was younger I took part in a children's theatre for kids 8 to 18 every summer from the time I was 13. When we went to WDW in August of 97 I had just wrapped on a show. While walking by the carousel I heard my name called and turned and there was one of the younger girls from my show and her mother riding along.

KatieN
03-23-2007, 01:57 PM
Last March, DH and I were heading toward the gate at the airport to fly to WDW, when we recognized a family already waiting there - they were are neighbors from across the street! They were also heading to WDW for the week, and were on the same flight. We chatted for a little while about the trip, and since we were staying at different resorts and WDW is such a big place, we figured we probably wouldn't run into them again during the week.

The next evening, we arrived at Hollywood & Vine at MGM for our Fantasmic dinner package, and there they were, waiting for their table, also doing the dinner/Fantasmic. What are the chances of that?

smartinez1
03-23-2007, 02:02 PM
Last September my husband and I were in WDW for a family trip. The one morning when we were at MGM, my husband ran into his friend, his girlfriend and their daughter. We were all shocked that we didn't know they were going, and then we run into them in a crowded park. What a small world.:secret:

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
03-23-2007, 02:44 PM
We ran into casual friends of ours on Soarin our last trip. We had no idea they were going to WDW at the same time. We were walking up to the entrance and they were just leaving.

DH and I ran into our mail delivery woman on our honeymoon in 1996. She was waiting for the bus for CBR at DTD when we walked up.

Its cool to meet up with people that far from home. :mickey:

mamacatnv
03-23-2007, 03:08 PM
We are on the West Coast which is primarily DL visiting country.

In 2000 we were in MGM with my Mother In Law when she spotted my kid's Godparents. They were motor homing around the country and decided to stop in Orlando, fly their grown boys in from Seattle and visit WDW. We had no clue they were going to be there.

On our Dec 05/Jan 06 trip we were getting on a bus at DTD to go to the Grand Floridian to see the gingerbread house. My former boss from 10 years prior got on the same bus. We live in the same relatively small town and I had not run into her in 10 years, take us 4000 or so miles and voila, there she was. We saw her again a couple of nights later at Epcot with her DH and kids. We chatted the whole way to GF, she was telling me that another aquaintance that we both knew was also there as she had run into the aquaintance and her family the day before.

Same trip: In MK DS ran into a friend from school and in Epcot DH ran into a guy from work. His co-worker was in FL visiting family and they had decided to go to Epcot for 1 day.

Truly a small world...

Sharon1026
03-23-2007, 04:14 PM
Here's my line story. We were in line for Space Mountain. In front of us is a young man and two women. They are all about 18 - 20 yrs old. The guy had awful b.o., by the way. Anway, the one girl start to cry. She is upset with him. Apparently, they are boyfriend/girlfriend and she kept saying "you don't love me..." and he claimed that he did and she shouldn't leave. But she left the line and took off. About 2 minutes later, he and the other girl start to kiss in the line! :nono: Hugging, holding hands, the entire thing. Bizarre. Hope girl number one dumped him for good.

AliceinDisney
03-23-2007, 04:30 PM
Thats my two line peeves. People making out and B.O. There was this girl dressed in a pink j-lo tracksuit and she was malodourous. I said to my mom I think Pinky Tescadaro needs to take a dip in the Pirates of the Caribbean river there and lather up. My mom was trying really hard to not laugh(mean I know, but come on people Speedstick works!) Also this couple wouldn't stop making out, and I said to my mom these people need to head on back to Pop Century they're making me all queasy and Im about to go on Thunder Mountain, again my mom trying hard not to laugh hehe.

SandmanGStefani24
03-23-2007, 04:48 PM
Thats my two line peeves. People making out and B.O

:ditto:

I KNOW!!! What is with the people and the B.O.? We noticed that a lot last trip! Someone should really tell these people that the soap and water in the hotels is free!

WinnipegDisneyFanatic
03-23-2007, 05:14 PM
Ok I got a good one here!

My Grandma's brother's wife Patty lives in Florida. We live in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. FAR from each other, dont keep in touch often, only see them when they come up here to Canada.

So in 1999 when we were in WDW last, we were standing in line for a fast food restauraunt (forget which one) and this lady that looked like "Aunt Patty" as we called her was a few people in the line beside us.

My dad, who was closest to her wanted to say something but would have been embarrassed if it wasn't her.

SO....he gets my sister who was at the time about 12 years old...to go to this lady and say "are you related to Carolyn ********* (Grandma who lives in Winnipeg...her last name withheld! :secret: )" to which she says "YES!"

THEN! My dad goes over to her and introduces himself to her - we were all in shock and couldnt believe that she was in WDW with some of her friends for the day! It was pure luck, they had no idea they we were going down there and we had no idea they would be there.

We ended up having lunch in the MK before parting ways.

I guess it's true what they say....it's a small world after all!! :mickey:

Chris :hatter:

dmallan
03-23-2007, 07:26 PM
DH and I were on our anniversary trip in 2004, and we knew that some friends from my choir were going to be in DW too. Our trips actually overlapped by 4 days.
We didn't make any plans to meet, but thought "wouldn't it be funny if we ran into them?"
Well, about halfway throught the trip we saw them in line at Buzz Lightyear. Then chatted for a while after we'd both gotten off the ride. Thought that was a big coincidence.
Then we ran into them the very next day in EPCOT walking through England! Just too weird!

Maleficent's Dad
03-23-2007, 07:29 PM
Good thread! I actually have had a few experiences, but this is the best:

Background:
DW and I were married in April of 1995. We honeymooned in Jamaica, Mon. We met up with some other newleyweds who lived in Rhode Island. After the trip, we exchanged some pics and letters, and that was it.

Fast forward exactly 10 years. DW and I head to WDW (sans children! ;) ) for our 10 year anniversary.

One day at MGM, we walk out of Muppets and see Al's Toy Barn with Buzz & Woody. We go over to take a picture. As we're leaving, we hear, "Hey! Don't leave... I know you from 10 years ago in Jamaica!"
We didnt' know who said it or yelled it. But we met the other newleyweds from Rhode Island 10 years to the date later!!! And in a totally different location. (They, on the other hand, travelled with their children!)

"It's a Small World After All!"

battle beast
03-23-2007, 08:23 PM
Wow! Nice stories!

pixiegoose
03-23-2007, 08:59 PM
When my parents took my brother and me to the World for Spring Break in 1999 (I think), we stayed off-site and drove in everyday. On our first day, we stopped off at Shades of
Green to get our tickets (my dad was in the Army for 26 years). As we were in line to get the tickets, my dad either saw or heard someone familiar (I don't remember). He looked around and realized it was someone he had gone to the war college with about 7 years prior who was also just there to get tickets (his family was staying at the Grand Floridian). 8 years later and they're now best friends. It's a small world afterall and the military makes it even smaller. :mickey:

KAJUNKING
03-24-2007, 12:04 AM
:ditto:

I KNOW!!! What is with the people and the B.O.? We noticed that a lot last trip! Someone should really tell these people that the soap and water in the hotels is free!

thats funny, i dont care who you are or where your from thats funny!

LoriMistress
03-25-2007, 06:30 PM
DH and I were waiting in line for Mickey's Philimagic and we met a nice couple with their teenage son and his girlfriend. We talked in line for a bit, didn't think much of it and then went on some other rides. Later on, we ran into them while waiting for the Dream Come True Parade. We sat with them and talked to them the entire time. They were huge Disney fans who go to WDW at least 2-3 times a year. It was really nice to chat with them.

Another time, not in WDW but at DLR, we met this nice couple from Nevada in line for SpM. We became "line friends" and rode in the log with them. Afterwards, we all decided to go to SM and waited in line and chatted some more. It was a lot of fun.

DrivingSideways
03-25-2007, 07:57 PM
My all-time favorite story is from last December. My best friend and I were at Animal Kingdom, walking back to Africa from Asia when we heard, "OH MY GOSH! Are you in SAI!?" (My friend had on one of her shirts with our Greek letters on it).

Turns out, the girl who spotted it is an SAI from Alabama. She was one of three we ran into on our trip. I have to get a few more SAI shirts to wear in May. I don't want to miss a sister!

bratmaster
03-25-2007, 08:31 PM
We were leaving the park one night and i think it was getting onto the monorail, we somehow started chatting with a CM that worked on the monorail. After talking, we came to discover that he lives within walking distance of our house. I thought that was totally weird. Actually, i think my DH struck up a conversation a couple of other times on that trip and it happened that they lived in nearby towns, too. Strange coincidence. we started coming to believe that most people visit disney from illinois!

Boojum
03-26-2007, 12:12 AM
I've got several of these:

During our 2000 trip, we were standing in line at Dixie Landings (it was called that then) to buy ice cream. The woman in line behind us had a very southern accent, so being from Alabama we started talking to her. Turns out that her father taught my DH calculus when he attended Southern Union Junior College.

During this same trip, I was in line at Casey's Corner on Main Street. The line was slow, and I struck up a conversation with the couple in front of me. Turns out they were from Texas, and lived next door to one of my best friends who had just moved there!

Last experience was on a bus in 2002. We were talking to the people in front of us, and found out that the lady was my aunt's hairdresser--both from a very, very small town in east Alabama.

I love experiences like this!

iheartmickey
03-26-2007, 09:13 AM
On our trip Dec 05 we bumped into DFiL.

He knew we were going to be there ... the trip was planned months in advanced. The week we were leaving he told us he was going to be in Tampa (for work), and that maybe he'd call us and have dinner with us.

He didn't call us, but as we walked out of HISTA toward the stroller parking area I noticed a man bent down and started talking to DD. I was like :confused: ! As he stood up I was so surprised, it was my FIL! He said he and some guys from work drove up for the day. He said they were going to dinner and the CP. He said they were heading into Soarin' for their FP's. That he'd call us later.

Well he didn't call us later ... but we did see him later walking around the WS with his "girlfriend" arm in arm. DH was as white as a ghost and didn't want to keep walking the same direction as him ... I told him he should confrom him and tell him we see him. He didn't want to so we just ignored him and "girlfriend" and went on our way.

BTW my FIL and MIL were still married at the time ... but seperated. We didn't know about "girlfriend" and obviously FIL didn't want us to know either! Still haven't met "Linda".

Dicecatt262
03-26-2007, 10:16 AM
We saw a family from my son's soccer team at brunch at 1900 Park Fare in September, we hadn't talked to them in almost a year and only recognized them because their son came up to our table!

GeminiAngel
03-26-2007, 04:03 PM
This happened in DL.
I was in line for Indiana Jones and my hubby is not the crazy about Indy. the line was kind of long and I started talking to this guy whose wife was also waiting outside cause she didn't like Indy either. We had such a wonderful conversation that when we got to the front of the line instead of saying "one" we said "two" and rode together.
We talked all the way out of the attraction and the four of us ended up having dinner together!! pretty cool. nice couple. :marg: