PDA

View Full Version : Changing Kili Safaris Theming?

magicman
03-23-2007, 12:19 PM
The objective of Kili Safaris is to see the animals in their natural habitat; however, the theming is based on saving "Little Red the elephant from poachers". Do you ever foresee Disney changing the theming/storyline to something new & different?

robhink
03-23-2007, 12:23 PM
I had seen rumors that they were planning on dropping the whole Little Red part of the ride but no confirmation that I know of.

King Triton
03-23-2007, 12:33 PM
My feeling is that they may modify the storyline, but there will still be a storyline.

What sets Disney apart is that the attractions tell a story. Removing the story completely would be un-Disney like.

bradk
03-23-2007, 12:50 PM
well, YOUR objective is to see animals. Disney's was trying to inject some education by talking about the threat and danger of poaching, while adding a bit of excitement.

but i have heard it's being dropped as well.

mrsgaribaldi
03-23-2007, 05:40 PM
When the AK first opened, Little Red didn't make it at the end. They changed it so that he did. :thumbsup:

Monkey Magic
03-23-2007, 06:57 PM
I don't particularly like that part, so I wouldn't mind to see it go. There should still be something, but that just gets old after the first ride or two.

huzzah4
03-24-2007, 04:45 AM
Yeah, the whole Little Red thing is cheesy, but that is one of the things we love about it, it gives us something to make fun of.

Additionally, they are trying to sort of educate guests about poaching, albeit using a cheesy emotional device like a baby stolen from its mother (which, by the way, is pretty inaccurate, poachers would be after the adults for their ivory, they would more than likely just shoot or abandon the baby). Nothing like a good tug at the old heart strings to make you want to help out, too bad it comes off as more of a joke.

There could be another reason for some of it too though. Most of the areas where the animals are located are a little farther away from the majority of the park, presumably to somewhat isolate the animals from the sounds and smells of all of the people. It takes a little bit to drive to an area where you get to start seeing animals, but if I am looking at the maps and Google earth correctly, the area where the shaking bridge and the truck with Little Red are located is getting closer to the park again. It also appears to be close to some of the backstage areas. Perhaps they could not put any more animal pens in this area due to its proximity to the main park as it would spook the animals, and since they didn't want the last 5 minutes of the ride to be remembered as nothing more than riding in a truck they tried to come up with something exciting and memorable.

They may have been slightly off target with the exciting part, but as for memorable, we are all talking about it aren't we?

MickeysBestPal
03-24-2007, 09:33 AM
When the AK first opened, Little Red didn't make it at the end. They changed it so that he did. :thumbsup:

No, that's not true.

LITTLE RED was ALWAYS in the back of the truck.

That area even had a live CM standing there to comment on it.
The truck/animatronic was always there.

It was BIG RED (still never seen) who met with an untimely fate.

mrsgaribaldi
03-24-2007, 05:16 PM
No, that's not true.

LITTLE RED was ALWAYS in the back of the truck.

That area even had a live CM standing there to comment on it.
The truck/animatronic was always there.

It was BIG RED (still never seen) who met with an untimely fate.

I stand corrected ( actually I'm sitting;) ) but I did know someone didn't make it:mickey: Thanks for the help:thumbsup:

JPL
03-24-2007, 09:12 PM
Yes the original storyline had you drive past the corpse of Big Red killed by the poachers. The happy ending was Little Red being saved. Eisner thought this was too shocking and the corpse was removed and the storyline changed slightly. It is my understanding that this version was never scene by guests it was changed before park opening.

There is a rumour that the poacher story will be scrapped and no word on what the new story will be.

angedeaile
03-24-2007, 09:21 PM
I love how the original ending involved a fake bloody dead Big Red on the side of the road. Someone was real smart on thinking that wouldn't send the children on the ride into a :sob: fit.

For those not in the know- Their aim was to imitate the story of Bambi and had to change it last minute to make the mom's death implied...like it is in Bambi. You don't really see the Mom shot.

I have heard the rumor of them "tweaking" the story soon. Something to do with they feel the story isn't making the impact it should.

However, again...rumor. I am not sure how true it is about them thinking about changing the story. Makes sense why they would though.

huzzah4
03-25-2007, 02:00 AM
It's very possible that I am not remembering correctly, but I could swear that the last 2 times we were on the safari Wilson came over the radio to say that Big Red was OK but that he needed our help to find Little Red. If I am correct in my recollection, it would be very difficult to imply that Big Red is being used as pool balls and piano keys since Wilson said she was OK.

SpecJoe Magic
03-25-2007, 04:12 AM
It's very possible that I am not remembering correctly, but I could swear that the last 2 times we were on the safari Wilson came over the radio to say that Big Red was OK but that he needed our help to find Little Red. If I am correct in my recollection, it would be very difficult to imply that Big Red is being used as pool balls and piano keys since Wilson said she was OK.

I just watched the video footage that I shot about 2 years ago. At one point, they say that Big Red is wounded and they need help finding Little Red. After forcing the poachers into the trap, they say that the warden has Big Red and she'll be fine. Immediately after that is when Little Red is seen in the back of a truck.

I've never liked the poaching storyline. I know that Disney's purpose in having it is to show poaching as negative, but I feel that it's too cheesy to be effective. Plus, showing a fake elephant in the back of a truck at the end of the attraction is anti-climatic after we've already seen several real elephants. I hope that the poaching section of the storyline is changed, but I have no problem with the rest of the spiel.