PDA

View Full Version : Discovery Cove

aprilisis
03-23-2007, 09:08 AM
I was wondering- is Discovery Cove :dolphin: worth the money (for the dolphin swim package)? I will be in Orlando in Early December, so this gives me plenty of time to save to purchase tickets. I was just wondering if it is worth the money to go. How much time would I spend there? Thanks in advance for your help!

merlinmagic4
03-23-2007, 09:31 AM
We went in 2003. My husband and son did the dolphin swim and my daughter and I didn't. They did love the swim and the pictures of my son are priceless. We will go again someday so my daughter can swim.

You can spend all day there. It is very relaxing and they only let 1000 people in so it is not crowded. They have a nice lunch and I've heard drinks and snacks are included now, which is nice.

The lazy river is nice but deep in many places. There is a current. You can use a floatie if you prefer.

We did not get to experience the fish/ray pool. Someone got sick and they had to close it. I was very disappointed about this but what can you do. It's just that it really limits what there is to experience.

The bird aviary was cool and feeding the birds by hand was fun.

The friendliness of the staff was so-so. We were on a Make a Wish trip and they couldn't have cared less. We were just used to Disney and the CMs there just went out if their way to be nice to my kids. I wasn't expecting special treatment but they were very stand offish. It was weird. Anyway, I usually don't give a negative opinion but it's how we experienced it.

Oh, and in the lazy river,I got caught off guard by the current and I was struggling with my three year old to get to the side (it was deep) and the lifeguard just watched me. Didn't even say anything helpful.

All in all, we will go back but this time I'll know what to expect so I think we'll enjoy it more realizing that it isn't Disney but still a great place to go.

StillSimbaGirl
03-23-2007, 02:48 PM
We went last October - and really enjoyed it. Funny, we did not find the employees there the least bit standoffish. Frankly, my DD - 7 at the time - was a little freaked out by the birds in the aviary (one landed on her head) and the person handing out the bird food took DD by her hand and led her over to the cutest little deer and taught her how to pet it. Staff members throughout the day - took time to find that little deer for her - as you can imagine we went to the aviary a bunch of times to see the little deer; me, with my hand on her head to prevent unwanted intruders.

The food was good - the day was relaxing...frankly, I wish someone had told me - not to worry about waiting in line for my vest - to go back for another cup of coffee etc., because there is plenty of time for everything.

The free day at Sea World - and voila! worth every cent!

aprilisis
03-23-2007, 03:19 PM
Thanks, everyone!! :thumbsup:

Rockstar Boyfriends
03-23-2007, 06:18 PM
I went to Discovery Cove a few weeks ago. I almost didn't go because I balked at the price -- $199 with a Florida resident discount! But when I visited and as soon as I stepped into the water, it was worth every penny. Yes, it is pricey, but it is quite an experience!

heart4princephillip
03-25-2007, 12:23 AM
I took my husband on a surprise trip there in 2003 and we did the dolphin swim. This was something he had always wanted to do (at one point in his life he wanted to be a trainer). What a wonderful experience!! The whole place is beautiful and peaceful...expect to spend the whole day there. Get the pictures...they're worth it.

Very, very fond memories!!!