PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever think about moving?

smartinez1
03-23-2007, 08:15 AM
Every so often, I think about moving to Florida, but although I don't have much family up here other than my dad, brother, sis in law and nephew, I still can't bring myself to move. But, I really want to move so I can visit Disney whenver I want. Does anyone else ever think about moving to FL?

BellewanaB
03-23-2007, 08:23 AM
I left the fitness industry to become a flight attendent so I could get the flight bennies to Orlando!
I make my regular flight announcments and on my Orlando flights I also announce park hours for the night and EMH.
I did the college program and since then have moaned and groaned about how cold New England is.
So what if Orlando is one of THE most dangerous cities in the US? There's rental property in Celebration, right? Let's Thelma and Louise it and move! (only, no car off cliff deal)

BMan62
03-23-2007, 08:31 AM
Absolutely, but then I talk to an old college buddy who lives about an hour south of WDW and listen to him complain about the three hurricanes that crossed over his house/town a couple years ago; the incessant attacks of the local insect population; the summer heat; etc. and decide that I might be able to enjoy being a 'snow bird' but couldn't hack moving there on a permanent basis!

I will be content to anticipate upcoming visits to WDW as a change of pace from the 'great white north.'

darthmacho
03-23-2007, 08:33 AM
If my wife would agree to it, and we were more comfortable financially, I'd go in a second...

SBETigg
03-23-2007, 08:34 AM
I have thought about it. Celebration looks nice. But my husband has spent a lot of time in various parts of FL on business and he really doesn't like it as a potential place to live. Doesn't mind visiting. But doesn't think we'd be very comfortable living there.

We did make a move from Massachusetts to Michigan(Canton) at one point and never fit in, so I'm hesitant to run off and try something new again. I didn't realize I was such a creature of habit and familiarity until that move. We lasted a year and a half and came back to MA.

smartinez1
03-23-2007, 08:40 AM
I know what you mean about the hurricanes. I think that is one of the big things that is holding me back, I couldn't imagine living somewhere where the possibility of losing our house every hurricane season is so great. We are lucky, we live about 35 minutes northeast of Philadelphia PA, we don't get hurricanes unless it's a tail end of one, no earthquakes, no tornados, not even really big snowstorms, thank GOD!! I wish I could win the lottery, the first thing I would do is purchase a condo close to Disney and then purchase life time passes!

HndrdPrcnt
03-23-2007, 09:58 AM
Believe me, I have thought about it, time and time again. However, I don't think that my wife would ever go for it. Being that we were born and raised in California, the thought of dealing with the humidity and the insects is enough to keep us here. However, the thought of a lower cost of living keeps us thinking. Yet, where we are now, we are only about a 7 hour drive from DLR. It is nice to have that option and not have the humidity. However, DLR is no WDW by a long shot.

Maybe I should get my wife to get a job with the airlines so that we could just fly free. Probably not going to happen, but hey, doesn't hurt to dream.

If we were to move, we would probably go to Georgia since that is where my company's HQ is located. Then at least we would be within driving distance!!:thumbsup:

disneycouple2004
03-23-2007, 10:06 AM
We even took a day out of our last trip and took a tour of Celebration with a realtor. For some reason we just can't make the move. We come up with several reasons not to do it..but we always find another excuse to cancel it out.
I guess the #1 and #2 decisons are..
1. we think living too close to WDW would ruin the magic of our yearly trips.
2. of course money..if we didn't have to work
we would be there tommorrow, and probably have jobs at WDW..
:thumbsup:
we keep talking about it..who knows..someday maybe :mickey:

mudpuppysmom
03-23-2007, 10:09 AM
My DH and DS are the ones nagging me to move. Up until last year, when I lost my mom, I was very hesitant b/c of my family here. While I do have a brother and sister, they don't bother with me unless they need something, so I'm the silent sister they forget about until the time is good for them. That said, DH has really been nagging me incessantly for the last year to move, and the top of his list is Orlando b/c he wants to work at WDW!!! He said he doesn't care if we have a lot of money, we'd have super fun jobs! DS says "yeah mumma, let's go to Disney World every day!"......hey, he's five he doesn't know any better!:) :)

I do have family in Daytona/Port Orange, and they visit the parks frequently and both have decent jobs there, so maybe closer to them.

At any rate, I'm sure sooner or later DH will wear me down, it's just a matter of time!

DisneyMP3Maker
03-23-2007, 10:23 AM
Absolutely! The plans are in the works right now. There is about a 95% chance that my DW and I will be moving to Orlando by the beginning of May! First thing on the list...get annual passes. Now it's just a waiting game.

MCFantasia
03-23-2007, 10:42 AM
I'm also seriously debating the move down there. DH is on board. We've found a home. I can move with my job. It is actually less expensive for us to live there than where we live now. I used to be worried about "ruining the magic" but the more time we spend in WDW the more I enjoy it... not even for the attractions... but just being there. Our last trip DH and I sat for two hours in Epcot drinking margaritas and watching the sun set; it is one of the best Disney memories I have. There's a 90% chance I'll once again be a Florida resident by the end of this summer.

boobalk
03-23-2007, 11:15 AM
Thats my plans for our retirement not setting on some beach somewere.But Working part time somewere at DISNEYWORLD:mickey: Got to go back to reel work now.Plus a 14 year old to take care see you in 8 yrs were going to do it:high5:

magicman
03-23-2007, 11:56 AM
I talk about it with my family, but its kindof like that dream you have in college of quitting school & becoming a snow ski school instructor...it's talked about but never done.

I do think Georgia would be a great place to work since you are within driving distance, but you aren't so close that you ruin the magic. I do believe it would affect the magic if I was a local who frequented WDW all the time. However, I do think if I WORKED in WDW the magic wouldn't get ruined, it would just be different. So, I want to move there after I retire & begin a second career at the World.

Dawnya
03-23-2007, 12:32 PM
I told DH that if his job (wheel factory) goes under and shuts the doors, we could move to Florida and we could get jobs at WDW. He operates a machine in a factory, surely he could operate a machine at WDW, right? However, he has left that job for a more stable company making cable. Oh well, maybe when we retire (we are in our mid 30's now, so we are halfway there!)

Granny Jill A
03-23-2007, 02:10 PM
I think about it every January, and change my mind every July. ;)

I had one memorable trip in August when it was so hot, my feet and legs were literally baking. The temperature at 6 a.m. was about 85 degrees and the humidity was a killer.

I will never go back to Florida in the summer if I can possibly avoid it.

Tinkerfreak
03-23-2007, 02:33 PM
I could never take the heat in the summer in FL. We don't have that much humidity here in Maine so it would be a shock. We usually visit WDW in late october early november and there have been days when it was a little too hot for us then. I can't imagine being there in July.

GrumpySue
03-23-2007, 03:23 PM
BelleWanaB.....since when is Orlando the most dangerous place to be, are you referring to hurricanes ???

pook@wdw
03-23-2007, 05:51 PM
Thats my plans for our retirement not setting on some beach somewere.But Working part time somewere at DISNEYWORLD:mickey: Got to go back to reel work now.Plus a 14 year old to take care see you in 8 yrs were going to do it:high5:

AMEN!! boobalk and I talk about it every day! Just waiting for our DD to graduate & get settled and..."OFF WE GO!" :cloud9:

TinyTink
03-23-2007, 06:20 PM
BelleWanaB.....since when is Orlando the most dangerous place to be, are you referring to hurricanes ???

I think that she was refering to crime/violence dangerous. Orlando was number 7 on the Morgan Quito list of most dangerous cities in 2006! It was above cities like Compton, Atlanta, and Miami with 1807.5 violent incidents per 100,000. Who would have thought? Let's see where it ends uo this year!

BronxTigger
03-23-2007, 07:26 PM
One of my professors keeps trying to offer me a job in Miami (teaching). My school has a branch campus there and they are trying to recruit people, so I could move there with a job and be not too far from WDW. But....Miami? I dunno...

TinyTink
03-23-2007, 08:45 PM
BronxTigger, I'm from Miami, born and raised. So if you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer! On the positive side, you'd only be 225 miles away (about 3.5 hrs by car)!! Which is still too far IMO. :thumbsup:

TikiGoddess
03-23-2007, 09:17 PM
My DH and I have thrown around the idea of moving to FL. DH worked at WDW for 3 yrs after he graduated from college and he loved it. His dad lives in Tampa (thus our annual summer visits to FL). But my family lives in NY, DH's mom lives around the corner from us, we both love our jobs, and we love our house. Plus we're both teachers and haven't heard the greatest things about working in FL schools (DH's stepmom works in Tampa schools).

We actually talked about moving down to FL for a summer. We would find a short term rental and work part-time in the parks. That might actually happen sometime in the next couple of years. DH thinks that working at the parks will cure me of my Disney obsession. (I think it will just make it worse!) :)

TikiG

QTPie68
03-24-2007, 11:08 AM
All the time.......especially on days when there is snow on the ground ;)

PirateLover
03-24-2007, 11:22 AM
Thinking about it right now, actually. Osceola County is heavily recruiting for teachers. I'll be fresh out of college with nothing really to lose. My boyfriend would also love to go. It wouldn't be a long term move, but if there ever was a time for us to do it, it would be now before we are settled somewhere....

CandleontheWater
03-25-2007, 08:47 AM
I actually did! I was in grad school in Philadelphia and my program wasn't a good fit for me. I was searching out new options when I stubled upon the U of West Florida in Pensacola. It was an entirely different type of archaeology than I had been previously focused on, but I was looking for something different, and it was MUCH closer to WDW! It was wonderful to get those FL resident rates, but at a 6 hour drive still much too far. I met and married a Navy pilot while in Pcola, and I convinced him to move even closer to Jacksonville! He was happy because we could afford to purchase a house in Jax (as opposed to San Diego), and I could finally live the dream of being an annual passholder!

jkj1224
03-31-2007, 05:07 PM
I did it!!

Since I was 12 I've always wanted to live in Orlando, 3 years ago I got the chance to move to Miami and didn't like the traffic and craziness in south florida so last week my fiance and I up and moved to Orlando, we may be crazy but hey I just had lunch at Downtown Disney and was home in 20 minutes!

:mickey:

allirae
03-31-2007, 07:40 PM
Part of the reason we moved to Georgia from Michigan was for that very reason! (We did get better jobs in moving here, too). We live in North Georgia, so we still get a LITTLE winter, and the summers, although hot, are not nearly as hot and humid as FL. We are having some issues with pollen right now, though (pollen count of 5937 yesterday - glad I'm not allergic! - they blow it around with leaf blowers it's so thick!). Our annual trip to the World is a lot easier now, though. Less than a 9 hour drive. Makes me happy!

merlinmagic4
03-31-2007, 07:56 PM
Well, I guess I'm in the minority because I would never move to Florida. We live on Cape Cod which is beautiful and even though I don't like snow, I do like the seasonal changes. I also like it that Disney is a special getaway for us. Little tastes of it make it more special in my opinion. I don't think we'd appreciate it as much if we could go all the time.

NewmanFamily6
03-31-2007, 08:22 PM
I would love to move to FL:mickey: My Dh says he doesn't want to though. FL is one of 2 states that does not reciprocate his Pharmacist license. I do not think he wants to take any more tests:cool:

Skippy
04-01-2007, 09:50 PM
All the time. I live in South Florida, so the heat humidity and hurricanes don't bother me.

I've applied to IT and analyst positions a couple of times, and felt as though I got close once. My DW said we could move if I got the job.

We've looked at houses in the past and came close (DWs parents moved to Orlando for about a year, but then moved back. That was the closest we came.)

We have friends that up and moved to Auberndale. They are 20 mins from the MK gate, but away from the hustle of Orlando.

I'd move in a heartbeat.