PDA

View Full Version : Any opinions on Hollywood & Vine?

jefmblrd
03-23-2007, 07:55 AM
I wanted to book a Fantasmic package, and I'm already taking a tour that includes lunch at Mama Melrose's, and I don't want to use 2 TS credits on Brown Derby. So that leaves me with Hollywood & Vine. I'd appreciate it if people could share their experiences eating there. Thanks.

Lily
03-23-2007, 08:14 AM
The food was very good. We will be going back in September and we already have an ADR at H & V for the character lunch. :mickey:

SBETigg
03-23-2007, 08:24 AM
We found it mediocre at best. The food had that over-warmed, out-too-long quality typical of buffets. Plus, our table had food under it on the floor. The staff was too busy to keep up with the cleaning, apparently. The table itself was clean. The atmosphere is bland, nothing special. It was okay to try once, but I wouldn't go back.

mrsgaribaldi
03-23-2007, 08:40 AM
I liked it very much. They had a turkey pot roast that was delicious. Nice staff too:thumbsup:

dizne4me
03-23-2007, 08:55 AM
I agree with an earlier poster - I tried it once but I don't know if I'd go back. The food was okay - and the staff was alot of fun but they were extremely busy so it was a little bit of a challenge to get a refill - and of course my all time favorite ---the line for the ladies room was too long...(what is it about that - do men design public restrooms?)

Maleficent's Dad
03-23-2007, 09:01 AM
We found it mediocre at best. The food had that over-warmed, out-too-long quality typical of buffets. Plus, our table had food under it on the floor. The staff was too busy to keep up with the cleaning, apparently. The table itself was clean. The atmosphere is bland, nothing special. It was okay to try once, but I wouldn't go back.
I agree whole heartedly.

For lunch or dinner, I would avoid this place. We did the Fantasmic Dinner Package once - will not be doing it again. Brown Derby (and even Mama Melrose's) blow(s) this place away.

The breakfast, however, was very pleasant. Nice assortment of food - pretty good quality. Characters from Einsteins & JoJo were fun for the kids. I also had much better b'fast service than I did at dinner.

Figment!
03-23-2007, 10:28 AM
We dined there on the Fantasmic! Dining Package and overall enjoyed our experience.

We liked the buffet variety and personally found the quality to be very good.

Our only complaint was their lack of seating for a group of 5. We were shoehorned into a table for 4 where there was barley enough room for our plates--but we did manage.

JPL
03-23-2007, 10:46 AM
I have eaten there on several different occasions on the Fantasmic Dinner Package and never had a bad experience. They have a nice variety of food and it is all very good. Definately the best value for the package :thumbsup:

Disnamic Duo
03-23-2007, 10:50 AM
We went there for the first time last September while we were on the dining plan. We also had the Fantasmic package. We really weren't expecting much. I'd read a lot of mediocre reviews, and it's just a typical sounding buffet. We were very pleasantly surprised. The variety was very good, and everything was fresh and delicious. Maybe we just hit it on a good night, but we were left with a very good impression. We'd go back.

magicman
03-23-2007, 11:40 AM
My very large group ate a late lunch there on our last visit as part of the Fantasmic Pkg. The buffet is huge & the food is good (do remember it is still a buffet). The only drawback was that it wasn't "Disney-ish". It wasn't themed-up or out-of-the-ordinary. It was just a good buffet.

angedeaile
03-23-2007, 02:06 PM
We ate there last August for the Fantasmic Package.

It was okay. As the saying goes, "You get what you paid for."

They had tons of variety, but nothing that I could rave about. I think the only thing I absolutely loved was the desserts. We figure we wouldn't go again..simply because of the lack of options for my DLB. I think that is because we went at a bad time.

All that was out for dinner for the kids were chicken nuggets, mac and cheese, and meatballs. My DLB's only option out of those was chicken nuggets.

Needless to say, he left hungry, but excited to see Fantasmic.

Overall, the food is edible, the desserts are good and if you are taking kids and they aren't picky they might like it.

It really is a roll of the dice, but it if allows you to eat somewhere amazing later with that TS point you saved by eating there...do it.

wendy*darling
03-23-2007, 02:51 PM
We have dined here numerous times for the Fantasmic! Dining Package. I have never had a bad experience. It is a bit crowded sometimes, and the decor is not Disney but more "art deco" (which we like).
We have always enjoyed the food selections, and they have always been fresh.
We took several of the photos here in Info Central (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/dining/foodphotos/studios/page2.asp#photo5) the last time we ate at H&V.

I think it's a great value- good food, good price, and you get nice seats for the show after dinner. :thumbsup:

PirateLover
03-24-2007, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the photos!!! We are dining there with Fantasmic Dinner package in may. We are a group of 6 adults so I hope we aren't squished! :crowd:
I think we will like it just fine, but then again, we are big buffet people. LOVE the buffet!

wendy*darling
03-24-2007, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the photos!!!
You're welcome!
Don't forget there are many, many user submitted photos and menus in the Dining Section of InfoCentral (check the tabs at the top of this page).

We are a group of 6 adults so I hope we aren't squished! :crowd:
I think you will be just fine. At the busier times of day, I think the odd numbered groups sometimes might be put into a too small table. Not often, but it can happen.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
03-24-2007, 11:38 PM
I've eaten here a number of times and have always enjoyed the food. Plenty of variety and they had a soft serve make your own sundae station too.

pooh0601
03-27-2007, 08:21 AM
The food is average/decent. It's a place we eat at more for a "convienence" factor than a "want" to eat there factor. We typically spend a late afternoon/evening at the MGM and go there to eat because we don't particularly care for any of the other places at MGM. And the buffet comes in handy with kids since there are lots of choices.

It's not a "horrible" meal by any means, but not up there with Cape May, Ohana's, etc.

Mom to a Princess and a Prince
03-27-2007, 10:42 AM
We ate there last May and will go back again this May. It wasn't the greatest meal ever, but it was good and there are so many choices on the buffet.

djbinding
03-27-2007, 08:48 PM
Great with kids. They keep returning from buffet with too much every time. The Fantasmic seating reservation is the Bonus. I'm not a big theater type person, but this show is amazing.

wdw_bound
03-27-2007, 09:47 PM
It was ok. Just ok.

The atmosphere was definitely missing the Disney flair - in fact, DH commented that it was the most unthemed place we had eaten (and he's a total guy, so if even he picked up on it, you know it was noticeable).

The food was ok. Desserts were bland - looked pretty, but dry and not a lot of flavor. Kind of like our local warehouse club ready-made stuff.

Service was good, but we too noticed the food on the floors.

We didn't hate it, but won't be going back - too many other really good places to eat at WDW :mickey:

dolphinmickey9170
03-27-2007, 09:51 PM
We really liked it. The buffett was just a bit of everything for everyone. The waitstaff was great too. Even my teenagers had a good experience. Hope you enjoy!

MargaretMessler
03-27-2007, 09:52 PM
We ate dinner there on our last trip for the Fantasmic dinner package, and we liked the food, there was a wide variety of choices. But I just didn't think it was necessary to do the Fantasmic package.