PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone ever Gotten busted on a ride taking pics?

AliceinDisney
03-23-2007, 12:08 AM
I was on the HM and someone was taking pics, and all of a sudden this CM voice came on and is like" please put your camera away" haha , it scared me more than the actual ghosts popping up hehe:hmghost:

Touchdown
03-23-2007, 01:06 AM
Disney actually has the loosest camera policy of any park Ive ever been too, if the VOG (Voice of God) came on in the HM he must have either used the flash or had a lit button on his camera that had the ability to ruin some of the effects in the ride.

Jasper
03-23-2007, 02:03 AM
I have never had it happen directly to me because we generally try to know what the rules are for photo taking and then actually try to abide by them. I agree that Disney as a whole is pretty lax about enforcing their photography policy . Frankly, I wish they would be tougher especially with flash cameras or lights on video cameras! It really plays havoc with the mood in places like the HM and POTC when a flash goes off or someone starts their video light in places like that where the mood is set dim. This is one of my really big pet peeves at Disney world!

cubbie
03-23-2007, 03:47 AM
I agree that I wish they'd be stricter at times with the flash policy. One of the reasons I disliked the Pirates update is the fact that everyone and their mother is obsessed with Jack Sparrow, so every time he popped up, there was a flash. This completely ruined the ride, and I don't think anyone really cared. Take all the pictures you want, just turn the darn flash off in the dark environments.

TinkRocks
03-23-2007, 04:14 AM
I took a pic of a 'Cast Members Only' sign on a door in Haunted Mansion just before boarding the Doom Buggies and one of the CMs reminded me that no photography was allowed inside HM. I apologized and said that I thought that rule only applied to the actual ride itself, not a sign on a door...

SBETigg
03-23-2007, 06:55 AM
I've never been busted because I've never done it. I always follow the rules on Disney rides.

Spaceship Tigger
03-23-2007, 07:30 AM
I wish someone had said something on one of our last Spaceship Earth rides where some moron took a flash picture of just about every single scene in the ride. You'd think when someone is taking pictures to that extreme for that long that a cast member would say something...

Sportster
03-23-2007, 07:49 AM
I wish someone had said something on one of our last Spaceship Earth rides where some moron took a flash picture of just about every single scene in the ride. You'd think when someone is taking pictures to that extreme for that long that a cast member would say something...

I had a similar experience on SE, only the person was using a video camera...with the light on!!! Completely ruined the whole effect of the ride. I yelled "please turn it off" but to no avail. Imagine, you're at the pinnacle of the ride, your car begins to turn, you hear "this, your Spaceship Earth..." and all you see is someone's camcorder light lighting up the whole room!!
You get the picture!

BellewanaB
03-23-2007, 08:42 AM
I'm sure people can be brazen with more than just cameras. I've always wanted to ask the cast members who watch the rides what else they've observed.
I know I've felt like a catholic school girl wearing red undies (gotta love Miss Congeniality) whenever I've snuck a quick smooch on the HM or SE. Unfortunately, I'm SURE people liken some of these "dimmed" opportunities to an airplane lav. (<shudder> saw it happen on one of my flights AGAIN last week)
Would love to hear any accounts and I'm sure strict disciplinary action taken.

merlinmagic4
03-23-2007, 09:35 AM
I'm one of those rule followers, too!! If it says no pics, I don't take pics :thumbsup:

4ubie1
03-23-2007, 09:42 AM
I had the "voice of god" come on in Splash Mt once but i really wish they would step-up their regulation of their OWN rules. I have been in several rides that stated "please no flash photography" and had some moron take pics anyway. Totally ruins the experience for people around said moron!:mad:

JPL
03-23-2007, 11:15 AM
I have been yelled but not because I was intentionally taking a flash picture just forgot to manually turn off the flash :blush: I really think that at times this is part of the problem people use point and shoot camera leave the setting on auto and don't know they can turn the flash off.

wire0monkey
03-23-2007, 11:21 AM
OMG, I hate it when people do that. My husband has a severe eye injury. (He was playing with a knife and stuck it his eye when he was 3.) He can't close the pupil on his eye. Any kind of bright and sudden flash, especially in a dark enviroment, is disorienting to him and a lot of it gives him a migraine.

bradk
03-23-2007, 12:18 PM
one of the CMs reminded me that no photography was allowed inside HM.

see, that's technically not true. no flash, yes. no photos, no. but not all CMs really get that either. i've been told no photos during stitch's great escape (which i complied with, but proceeded to take all i wanted next time). i've heard no photos on CoP before.

it used to be that during the spiel of turtle talk (although this may have been at disneyland), when the moonfish made the camera, the cm would say something like 'and no flash photography... i said FLASH photography, guys', at which point the flash of the moonfish camera would dismantle.

all that said, i have used a flash inside dark rides before, but i *only* do it when I'm by myself in the attraction. also, it tends to actually ruin the shots by lighting things you aren't meant to see.

HM used to have no cameras too (i mean for them to be able to watch guests)

King Triton
03-23-2007, 12:30 PM
I think most people are pretty good about the "no flash" rule in a lot of attractions...what, to me, is getting to be bigger problem is the displays most everyone has on the back of their cameras. You sit in an attraction that has an audience-like setting and if its dark, it looks like a sea of little TV's. I find it distracting.

pox24
03-23-2007, 02:07 PM
Got busted on the Pirates. Switched to movies after that.

KAJUNKING
03-23-2007, 02:23 PM
i always try to follow the rules

AliceinDisney
03-23-2007, 03:46 PM
I mean as tempting as it is to want to take pics on Haunted Mansion which is an amazing ride I have never done it. The person had a lot of nerve using his flash on the ride. The HM is a classic and he could wreck the camera effects. But some people have no class when it comes to obeying the rules and regulations.

berri_boo
03-23-2007, 03:54 PM
My DH was caught by the VOG on the Figment ride! He forgot to take of his flash. Luckily we were the only two on the ride at the time...otherwise I would have gotten really mad at him because I hate those people that take pictures with their flash on during rides.

mcjaco
03-23-2007, 05:02 PM
We had some moron 5 cars up on SSE taking flash photos every 15 seconds throughout the entire ride. Not only did I point him out to the CM when we got off, I chased him down and let him know he ruined the ride for everyone around him.

His response, "No habla ingles."

PirateLover
03-23-2007, 05:05 PM
We got yelled at, and i mean YELLED at by the "voice of God", for videotaping CoP. And I swear that our CM did not say "no video" in her spiel, or else we wouldn't have tried:blush:

mickey&missy
03-23-2007, 05:45 PM
I've only ever taken pics in the queue areas. I HATE!!! when people take pics inside the rides! We rode with someone who took a pic on first time on POTC since the refurb. Luckily someone else in the boat very loudly and authoritatively told the person to stop. DH got a chuckle out of it because he figured I'd be the first to say something :blush:

Kristi Kay
03-23-2007, 08:18 PM
Yeah, i've seen this happen several times on HM and Pirates, but I've never seen them do anything other than talk over the speakers....like no one is waiting at the end of the ride to take their film....

LudwigVonDrake
03-24-2007, 04:36 PM
I am a firm believer that if they say NO flash photography that *actually* means NO flash photography. Don't ruin the experience for EVERYONE :nono:

CaptSmee
03-25-2007, 03:19 AM
I've taken the occasional flash picture on rides, but I've only done it when we were the only one's that would be affected by the flash. In the last year or so i've gotten a fantastic camera that I use with the natural light setting and am able to take non-flash pics on most attractions that are dimly lit.

The only time i've ever heard the VOG was in fact on COP, like another poster said.

FormerCastMember
03-25-2007, 04:10 AM
I CANNOT STAND IT WHEN SOMEONE IS CONSTANTLY TAKING PICTURES ON AN ATTRACTION...especially if its an attraction that has been refurbed, I havent experienced before or is a long time favorite of mine.

For me the attractions that should have strict strict camera policies are as follows.

Spaceship Earth
Pirates of the Caribbean
The Haunted Mansion
Tower of Terror
The Great Movie Ride
The Seas with Nemo & Friends (some jerk ruined my first ride ever on this attraction...i was so mad)

battle beast
03-25-2007, 11:23 AM
I agree that I wish they'd be stricter at times with the flash policy. One of the reasons I disliked the Pirates update is the fact that everyone and their mother is obsessed with Jack Sparrow, so every time he popped up, there was a flash. This completely ruined the ride, and I don't think anyone really cared. Take all the pictures you want, just turn the darn flash off in the dark environments.

AMEN.

dolphinmickey9170
03-25-2007, 11:47 AM
I'm one of those rule followers, too!! If it says no pics, I don't take pics :thumbsup:
Me too

Altair
03-25-2007, 11:51 AM
I got busted at GMR, but I wasn't the one that took the flash picture. I was taking a shot of the entrance marque sign, with a camera with no flash attachment, when a flash went off. the CM said "no flash pictures" so I was looking around to see who did it. I looked at the CM and she was looking at me and said, "yes that means you!" I was so shocked I didn't say anything. I bet the person that took the flash picture got a kick out of it.:mad:

LoriMistress
03-25-2007, 05:46 PM
It's pretty much common sense. They have signs all of the place, plus they usually tell you before going on the ride verbally NO PICTURES on this attraction. Next time, if you're not sure if you can use your camera, please ask a CM first.

Goes4FastPass
03-25-2007, 07:58 PM
I think this boils down to what SO MUCH of many people close together does: When your flash ...or smoking ...or loud talking ...or playing with matches etc. etc. etc. excessivly interferes with other's enjoyment of the experience then it's not OK.

Photo flash at the wrong time in a live show can be a safety issue.

The lighting inside attractions like HM or POTC is carefully designed and executed. I want to experience it with flash. I don't use a flash in these situations and I don't want to get flashed. (:oops:Not that way either !)

On the other hand, I have no hesitation about taking non-flash pictures constantly and just about everywhere in the 'world'.

Jeff G
03-25-2007, 09:27 PM
Reading this post reminds me of my last trip. We were on PoC for the first time after the rehab. The people in from of us started taking photos right away after the ride started and must have takens 15-20 during the ride all with flash. I asked them to stop but they didn't speak English.

The kicker is that I heard the people behind us say "oh, falsh must be ok" and then they started taking their own.

Needless to say this was a major buzz kill so we got off and went back on it again.

casey@bat
03-25-2007, 09:57 PM
I think the worst is at Voyage of the Little Mermaid at MGM! People were taking flash photos last time I went and you could see the people on stage wearing black holding the puppets. It was awful!

LADY DI
03-25-2007, 10:09 PM
I have taken pictures on space mountain and splash mountain. With a digital camera, no flash. They came out really good.

PirateLover
03-25-2007, 11:37 PM
It's pretty much common sense. They have signs all of the place, plus they usually tell you before going on the ride verbally NO PICTURES on this attraction. Next time, if you're not sure if you can use your camera, please ask a CM first.

Actually, the standard line is "No FLASH pictures" and no external lighting. On almost every ride, you can take as many non flash pictures as you like and videotape as long as you don't have a light on or have your lighted screen open. The rare attraction here or there may specify that there is absolutely no videotaping (Ellen's Energy Adventure and as Previously mentioned, Carousel of Progress come to mind).

Boojum
03-25-2007, 11:43 PM
I think it boils down to the ol' "I-Paid-Lots-Of-Money-For-This-Vacation-So-The-Rules-Don't-Apply-To-Me" mindset. (After all, most Disney visitors get their vacations for free....right? :shake: )

I've actually wished, a couple of times, that the ride operators would halt the boats (or whatever), turn up the houselights, and say "Ladies and gentlemen, we're turning up the lighting so the gentleman/lady over there can take better pictures." A big whopping dose of embarrassment would cure a lot of this.:thedolls:

Dopey's Girl
03-26-2007, 12:18 PM
I have never done this...I'm scared of the VOG! I would die of embarassment if I got caught!

I was on Pirates last Tuesday with a flash happy jerk :thedolls: ! She must have taken 30 pics, all with the flash. And it wasn't like she was just taking pics of stuff next to her, she was reaching over people, turning around, the whole 9 yards. When she finally blinded me with the flash I reminded her (:mad:) that there were others in the boat who waited 30 mins to see the ride, not to have it ruined with her flash! She didn't seem to care, but her husband was mortified and grabbed the camera from her. I was really unhappy that a CM didn't make an announcement then!

caryrae
03-26-2007, 01:07 PM
My wife and I are probably in the minority because we don't even take a camera anymore because we have been to WDW so many times. We took a camera the first couple times but after that we realized we didn't like having to carry it around anymore and the pictures never do seeing it person justice. We may bring a camera again sometime if we ever have any kids of our own.

Jasper
03-26-2007, 01:18 PM
I think most people are pretty good about the "no flash" rule in a lot of attractions...what, to me, is getting to be bigger problem is the displays most everyone has on the back of their cameras. You sit in an attraction that has an audience-like setting and if its dark, it looks like a sea of little TV's. I find it distracting.

I don't find this to be quite as annoying as the flash and lights, but you are correct that when you have a lot of them in a dark room it can be bad as well as the others. I quess part of the reason this bothers me is that in many cases these cameras will have both the screen and an old fashioned view finder that you can use. When in a place like POTC or HM turn off the screen and use the view finder.

Ok, I know some cameras don't have the dual option, but most do! I guess my bottom line on all this is that people need to know both the rules and how to operate their camera!

cinderella crazy
03-26-2007, 01:51 PM

What got me was you know his pictures had to have turned out horrible! Anytime you take a picture in darkness using a flash your pictures will come out looking washed out. So that guy was shooting pictures of every scene on Spaceship Earth and they probably weren't worth much. So even if people want to take a picture in a dark ride, it would probably be better to just turn the flash off. Okay, I'm getting off my :soapbox:

Mufasa
03-26-2007, 07:10 PM
Everyone should familiarize themselves with their camera settings- even turning off the flash may not be enough in some situations.

Many cameras will use an auto-focus assist light (especially in low light situations) that can be just as disturbing but often there is a menu option to disable the AF lamp.

In addition to disrupting the show for other guests- the use of flash or other lighting on an attraction may present a safety hazard for the CMs that are monitoring the attraction.

In many attractions there are night vision cameras or other sensors to allow the CMs to monitor guests on the attraction and if all the sudden a stray flash or AF assist lamp is inadvertantly pointed at one of these monitoring cameras then the CMs just see a complete washout of their screen and it may take a while for these cameras to readjust since they are tuned for very dark environments so they essentially are blinded by that person taking pictures and may need to stop the attraction to ensure the safety of all guests.

Touchdown
03-27-2007, 12:27 AM
The only time Ive ever taken a flash photo was when I got stuck on POTC log jam at a perfect angle to the prison scene for about 30 min. After attempting a non flash picture a couple of times I stopped for about 20 min, after which I said the heck with it and took the picture with a slow flash (which made a great picture) it also "magically" started the ride going again, but during normal operations I would never think of doing it.

PrincessCandaceMarie
03-27-2007, 10:33 AM
LOL love this thread....I've never taken pictures since I don't want to get busted and actually know better .... but with that being said, when i was there in Sept. 06 on POTC there was a lady in the boat in front of me taking pics of Captain Jack (near the very end of the ride) and she's just snapping away, and the VOG shouts to her, everyone laughs and as we all disemark the boats the CM looks at her and says i hope your photos come out ROFL :blush: