PDA

View Full Version : Safari Timing

thejens
03-22-2007, 10:34 PM
What is the best time to do the Safari at Animal Kingdom. Last year we did it first thing and it was very nice and a great way to start the day. I've never done it at any other time. Does it make a difference in terms of how many animals are seen? I noticed that the Unauthorized Guide to WDW now recommends hitting other areas first and saving Safari for afternoon. Any thoughts?

rsumrall
03-22-2007, 10:45 PM
I have noticed that in hotter times of the year that the animals don't move around much in the afternoons. I think your answer lies somewhat in what time of year you are going.

We always try to catch it before an early lunch at Tusker House. That has been our best time of animal watching. Last year we had to wait whil a bongo leisurely walked across the path 10 feet from us.

JPL
03-22-2007, 10:53 PM
In the warmer times of the year the earlier in the day the better or after a rain shower. The animals seem to be much more active and closer to the ride vehicles. Of course there really isn't a bad time to ride since different times of day offer different animal experiences. This is truly one attraction that no 2 rides are exactly alike.

Strmchsr
03-22-2007, 10:59 PM
I agree with JPL about the right after a rain shower. If you can time it right where you get on safari immediately after the regular afternoon summer thundershower the animals are usually pretty active. Also, right before the park closes - like the last couple of ride throughs, they are more active.

MargaretMessler
03-23-2007, 07:55 AM
I have noticed that in hotter times of the year that the animals don't move around much in the afternoons. I think your answer lies somewhat in what time of year you are going.

We always try to catch it before an early lunch at Tusker House. That has been our best time of animal watching. Last year we had to wait whil a bongo leisurely walked across the path 10 feet from us.

We had to follow a rather stubborn ostrich one year! He just didn't want to move from the road, our driver was pretty funny, just incorporated it into the show.

I'm with everyone else on timing, either first thing in the morning or late in the day. Animals are hot and just hide or sleep at mid day in Florida. Unless it's a particularly cool day.

KAJUNKING
03-23-2007, 11:45 PM
although im sure there are better times than others, i dont think you can really have a bad ride on the safari, im sure you will see cool stuff either way :mickey: