PDA

View Full Version : Interview Ettiquette?

DVC2004
03-22-2007, 05:35 PM
What to do? I applied for a job a few weeks ago. It's part time and the place is actually opening later in the summer. Basically I am interested because of some of the perks/benefits. Anyway, I received a call from someone in thier HR last last week. He was saying that I was ver qualified and sounded like just what they were looking for. He called me again Monday and asked if he could contact me the next day at a certain time to do a prelim phone interview. I said definitely! Then he didn't call! :confused: The posting is still there. Should I call him back to check on what's going on? I was thinking maybe I'd wait till Monday to do this. Or not call at all? I hate when people leave you hanging.

HndrdPrcnt
03-22-2007, 06:04 PM
I highly recommend giving him a call. This will show that you are interested in the job and that you are good in follow up. Best of luck!!:thumbsup:

Tick-Tock
03-22-2007, 06:09 PM
If you're interested in the job, I would call. Maybe something happened to the rep (got sick, had a family emergency) and he couldn't call as scheduled. Or maybe he just forgot to put you on his list.

It's a good way to learn a little more about the company, too. If he doesn't have a good reason for failing to call as scheduled, it might be an indication of management issues.

I wouldn't wait until Monday. You've already given him a couple of days.

TinkRocks
03-22-2007, 07:22 PM
Definitely give a call - even if it is to find out more information about the job & company.

Maybe find out why this person thinks you are over qualified. When I've heard this before, it usually means that the company thinks you will get bored and quit. If you convince the company that you are interested in / enthusiastic about working for them - maybe they will think otherwise.

Disney Babe
03-22-2007, 07:54 PM
I was under the impression that the phrase that was used was "very qualified", but it's hard to tell because one letter in the post is missing. So how it is interpretted depends on what letter you use to fill in the blanks.

Call them ASAP! To follow phone call etiquette you would say that you thought you were told you would receive a call but perhaps you were mistaken and were asked to call. I don't think that in this case you need to do all that, though. Just stating that Mr. so and so promised to contact you for a phone interview and you have not received a call as of today should be fine. I think this is an unusual situation and straightening it out quickly will benefit you.

I hate to be left hanging too!

aprilisis
03-23-2007, 07:54 AM
Definitely call. I can tell you from experience that persistence pays off. Good Luck! :thumbsup:

DVC2004
03-23-2007, 07:59 AM
I was under the impression that the phrase that was used was "very qualified", but it's hard to tell because one letter in the post is missing. So how it is interpretted depends on what letter you use to fill in the blanks.

Call them ASAP! To follow phone call etiquette you would say that you thought you were told you would receive a call but perhaps you were mistaken and were asked to call. I don't think that in this case you need to do all that, though. Just stating that Mr. so and so promised to contact you for a phone interview and you have not received a call as of today should be fine. I think this is an unusual situation and straightening it out quickly will benefit you.

I hate to be left hanging too!

Yes, sorry! I am a poor typist. He did say I was very qualified; he did not give me the impression he thought I was over-qualified. Thanks everyone- I will call.

Ian
03-23-2007, 10:37 AM
I'd call once ... if you get him, great. See what he has to say. If not, then leave him a message and wait a week.

If you don't hear from him again, leave him one more message and that should be it.

It's nice to follow up, but I can tell you I've decided against pursuing otherwise qualified candidates who made too much of a pest of themselves.

Everyone has unexpected delays when hiring new staff.