PDA

View Full Version : Sprint Cell/2-way radio communication in WDW??

Bruegge
03-22-2007, 01:53 PM
On a previous trip the DW DD(then 4) stayed together the whole time.

This upcoming trip DD(now 8) and DD3 (first disney trip) may force The DW and I to divide and conquer.

I saw a lot of folks with "2-way family band radios". How well do they work?? I understand the 14 channel with quiet codes are better more private.

We have Sprint cell phones, hows the coverage in the parks??

What do you guys use to stay in touch??

Thanks

Scott

GottaLvDisney
03-22-2007, 01:57 PM
We're planning on using our Nextel's during our upcoming trip. Of course, I'm assuming in such a populated area, service won't be an issue.

Strmchsr
03-22-2007, 01:59 PM
The 2-way radios can be good, but they often have limited range, especially when you're inside a building. We've generally used cell phones and had little or no problem with reception.

ibrowse17
03-22-2007, 02:05 PM
Have used my Nextel at Ft. Wilderness several times, but do not carry it into the parks. The Disney staff uses Southern Linc (I think), so either type of push to talk should work with out problem. Not sure about those non cell phone two ways, but they seem to not work very well. I base this on all the people I see yelling into them and getting nothing back while walking around the parks.:thumbsup:

Bruegge
03-22-2007, 02:33 PM
We're planning on using our Nextel's during our upcoming trip. Of course, I'm assuming in such a populated area, service won't be an issue.

{Line edited per Intercot's terms of service}

I figured Cell phones shouldn't be a problem but when I saw all those 2-ways.... it made me ask the question...

Scott

KylesMom
03-22-2007, 03:13 PM
We used our Nextel two-way radios (cell phones) many times last vacation without a hitch. We had no problems communicating around property, including from Wilderness Lodge to Magic Kingdom. :mickey:

We brought our Motorola radios the previous vacation, and had major problems with interference & picking up other peoples' communications. :( We've left them at home ever since.

mudpuppysmom
03-22-2007, 07:32 PM
We have Sprint service and had no problems last Sept.

Roger Rabbit
03-22-2007, 11:33 PM
My family has always used our Nextels, and never had a problem. We got a good signal everywhere.

r4kids
03-23-2007, 09:07 AM
I am so glad this question was asked. My Dh and I just got Nextel's service 6 months ago and he just asked me what kind of reception we would get. I am glad it will be good!!:mickey:

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
03-23-2007, 02:51 PM
DH and I use our Nextel's with no problems at the parks or anywhere else. :thumbsup:

2Epcot
03-23-2007, 03:32 PM
I have Sprint cell service and it worked pretty well for me most places I was at the parks. I also took 10 Motorola 2-way radios with us to use with are large group last year. Most days we only used about 6 to 7 of them, with a few extra for backup. During the entire week we only had problems on two days, despite being there in June during peak times. Those problems (others on our channel) only lasted about 5 minutes each, though I know others have had more problems.

The key to two-ways is the channels, and the privacy codes you use. I've been very successful with the number combination I use. I picked it because I believed it is the least common pattern to use. For most of my trips I've been right. I love the instant communication with two-ways over cell phones, but there will always be times when you need to use the cell phones.

bratmaster
03-24-2007, 10:06 PM
We've got a cheap pair of motorola walkie talkies and they worked great - i could never go to disney without them again. We never had any problems using them, and it allowed my dh to take our oldest girl on the wild rides while i took the chickens with me. Best purchase we made for our trip.