PDA

View Full Version : Are the Preferred Rooms at Pop not so great?

January-2007
03-21-2007, 07:57 PM
I've read things that suggest the preferred rooms at Pop Century really aren't all they're cracked up to be. Sure, close to the main hall, DH would love that because he loves going to the arcade and such, but what about pool noise and rooms that smell like smoke? We've only stayed in the 50s Tramp building while vacationing at Pop Century, and while it's great- gotta love those fireworks!- it's always fun to try something new. Our last trip was 9 nights, and by the end of it we were wishing to be a little closer to the main hall. It's funny, too, because I'm always such an advocate of how little the walk is from anywhere in the resort, but we were really tiring of walking so far just to fill our refillable mugs late at night, so we ended up with ice water instead many times...

So for those who have stayed in the preferred rooms at Pop Century, what were your likes and dislikes? Would you do it again? We keep going back and forth about which resort to stay at in October, now it's between Pop Century and the Wilderness Lodge. We're so undecisive...

SandmanGStefani24
03-21-2007, 08:33 PM
we had nothing but good things to say about our preferred room at POP. It was shielded from the pool noise, and faced the fireworks at night. Plus we were nice and close to all the resort areas. If we ever stay at POP again we will definately do a preferred room.

Goofy Pluto
03-22-2007, 10:16 AM
This is a good question!

But is it really work the extra money? I mean, if I don't get a Preferred Room, am I going to be 1/2 mile away from the main building and bus stops? WIll I be looking out my window at a cemetary? Is there really any differences in the rooms themselves?

Thanks!

MissT
03-22-2007, 10:31 AM
I found it more important to get a preferred room at All Stars. Those resorts have a different lay out that you are walking further for those late nite mug fill ups after a long park day. To us, POP was better planned and not as important for that preferred room.
We've stayed at Value-Deluxe and sampled most Disney resorts through the years. If WL is an option, there really is no comparison between value and Deluxe. If you are spending any amount of time at the resort, go deluxe.
Happy planning.

JPL
03-22-2007, 10:55 AM
I have stayed in a few different area of Pop and never found the walk to be too bad to All Things Pop. I also found a few short cuts through the parking lot ;) Unless you are really concerned about the walking or are travelling with someone who will have trouble walking. I don't think a preferred room is worth the extra money at all.

January-2007
03-22-2007, 02:33 PM
If WL is an option, there really is no comparison between value and Deluxe. If you are spending any amount of time at the resort, go deluxe.
Happy planning.

Yeah, I did actually book the Wilderness Lodge this morning, as we do spend a lot of time at the resort. Thanks everybody for all the great info. After staying at Pop Century the last two times we went to Walt Disney World, we decided we were up for a change. This way when we go back in a few years we don't have to try to save up for something spectacular, we can go back to Pop for cheap and it will be more fresh since we won't have stayed there QUITE as much... It's good to hear all the different opinions about the rooms, I'm always leary of staying in a different area if I know the part I stayed in before was nice enough. You all are the best!

Vinny
03-22-2007, 02:44 PM
I stayed in a Pop Century preferred room on one of my trips and did not have any complaints about it but also no real highlights either. The only real advantage is that the preferred building is right next to Classic Hall. For my past four WDW trips I have stayed in the 70's section t POP, either behind the giant big wheel or Mickey telephone. The walk is a few steps longer to the food court and pool area but you won't have to worry about noise from the pool at night or from around Classic Hall. With the rooms in the 70's section, I can't justify to myself spending extra money at a value resort just to say I have a room in the building next to the main hall. I like to save the extra money for a special dinner or character buffet. Have a fun trip!!

scooterca42
03-22-2007, 08:11 PM
Honestly, you can cut through the buildings and it works out that the walk between the buildings is almost a straight line...if you look at the maps on line it looks like you have to go around, but the center part of almost all the buildings is open and contains elevators, you can walk through.

Wouldn't bother spending the extra cash, myself.

rsumrall
03-23-2007, 01:37 AM
My fam stayed in Preferred room at the Pop last Sept. The pool noise was NO factor. It was nice to be closer. Here's the main difference between the All-Stars and Pop preferred rooms - there are four flours in the Pop. Even if you have a preferred room, you're climbing those stinkin' stairs a ton. We stayed on the third floor, and I was sick to death of the climb. If you can, request a ground level room.

Jasper
03-23-2007, 01:54 AM
Other than the view of the fireworks, we didn't think the preferred rooms were worth it.

JoDisney
03-23-2007, 08:55 AM
We just got back from a POP preferred room. I really did not want a preferred room, but that was what was available. In my opinion, it is not really worth the extra. If a standard was available, I would have taken that. We were told by reservation that we would be in the 60s building. However when we checked in, we were put in the 70s. We were then told the preferred rooms were expanded to include the 70s. To me, this is not any different than having a standard room. We enjoying walking, and in reality, do not feel that the walk is that far in most of the buildings. I felt it was a waste of money, but we did not have a choice because we needed the dates and preferred was only choice available. To me, the same holds true for Moderates. I like Jamaica and Aruba and the short walk over the bridges to the food court and main pool. They are not preferred rooms. The only place I would like preferred rooms would be in a resort like AKL where I have to have a savannah room. I love, love the animals. Also at WL, I love the courtyard rooms by the main pool and the view. Now to me, they are worth the money. But not at POP.

E-OR
03-24-2007, 12:52 PM
Have never stayed at Pop but we have had a preferred room at Music. We were by the pool and it was really loud. We did like how close it was to the food court though. We eat in our room most of the time. The only problem that we had with smoke was the person who was next door to us would step out on to the balcony to smoke so every time we left our room if she was smoking (which was often) the smoke hit us in the face and ended up in our room. I will probably not ask for a preferred room again, but always ask for a room close to the food court/pool prior to leaving home.

January-2007
04-12-2007, 06:02 PM
Hey all! Update....

When Free Dining was announced for Disney Visa Cardholders on Monday I decided to take advantage of that deal and stay at Pop Century again instead of the Wilderness Lodge in October. All they had were Preferred rooms, so that's where we'll be staying after all. Any more comments about where exactly to request within the Preferred area? We loved watching the fireworks from the 50s Tramp building and are sad we can't stay there, so where could we see fireworks from these buildings, and which buildings are considered Preferred these days? Thanks all! It's been a busy week, but we're going back! :mickey:

stitch34
04-12-2007, 06:33 PM
We stayed in a preferred room at Pop and were facing the main pool (by the kiddie pool). It was great! A close walk to the main building and bus stops and obviously to the pool. Of course, we couldnt see fireworks from this view but we still loved it. There was no smoke smell on our visit and the noise wasnt a factor at all. I'm sure you will enjoy:mickey:

Mickey91
04-13-2007, 01:29 AM
It depends on when you get there. A preferred room is not necessarily nearest the food court or pools. We had one near the lake. A pretty good walk to get to Classic Hall or anything. But, as the cast member pointed out, it was a lot quieter. If you have anything with a map, Preferred rooms are generally located in the entire 60's section. Try to check in as early as you can and they have a better ability to grant your request for location.

cindyrellinut
04-13-2007, 07:19 AM
As for which locations are preferred...

I was there last August with my sister and best friend w/ our kids. We all paid for preferred rooms. I was in the 60s around the corner from the pool, my sister was in the 50's facing the bowling pin pool and my best friend was in the 70s building facing the courtyard. You can always ask to be put anywhere you want when you check-in. I had a very helpful cast member when I checked in making sure I got a corner room. He even took out a binder and showed me the layout of the buildings with room numbers on them to show me what was available and where it's location was in the building.:)

January-2007
04-13-2007, 08:37 PM
This is the thread I read that made me kind of worried... (http://intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=96013) but since a lot of you haven't any compaints, I'm hoping it will be fabulous! We're thinking to request behind the Play Doh on the side that looks towards Epcot. I found my map from our last trip so I've got a better idea where the buildings are, yay! :mickey:

Soul_Power
04-13-2007, 11:54 PM
My fam stayed in Preferred room at the Pop last Sept. The pool noise was NO factor. It was nice to be closer. Here's the main difference between the All-Stars and Pop preferred rooms - there are four flours in the Pop. Even if you have a preferred room, you're climbing those stinkin' stairs a ton. We stayed on the third floor, and I was sick to death of the climb. If you can, request a ground level room.

Wait, so there are no elevators?? Am I understanding this correctly?

rsumrall
04-14-2007, 12:10 AM
Wait, so there are no elevators?? Am I understanding this correctly?

Yes, there are elevators, but if you are on the end closest to the registration buidling, you have to walk out of the way to get to the elevators.