PDA

View Full Version : Water View rooms POR Magnolia Bend

SplashFan01
03-21-2007, 07:32 PM
I have been to POR twice (once as Dixie) and stayed in Alligator Bayou both times. I loved the mystery of it- waking up early in the morning and walking along the river to the food court and feeling like I was the only person in the whole resort! I will be staying at POR again this May with my girlfriend, (a first timer to WDW!) however, this time is will be in Magnolia Bend (water view) My two questions are 1) do these rooms offer views of a pool or the river or either or. also, 2) do the mansions provide the same peacefullness as AB? thanks for your help!

sassafras
03-21-2007, 08:01 PM
I've stayed at Port Orleans Riverside numerous times, but only at Magnolia Bend once. I did not like it all that well. I'm kind of like you, like walking to breakfast along the shaded paths by the river.Alligator Bayou has a more laid back, easy feel to it. The mansions at MB are ok, but not much ambience over there. The pool is big and square (looks like something out of Rome), not much shade, and I didn't like the rooms near as much, although ours did have a view of the river if you stood on the balcony. Seemed noisier too. If I were you, I'd see if I could get a room in Alligator Bayou. Don't know if this helps or not!:confused:

CleveRocks
03-21-2007, 10:48 PM
In all 4 of WDW moderate resorts, "water view" might be a view of the river/lake or it might be a view of a pool. There is no way to know in advance which it will be. Since you must RESERVE and PAY FOR water view, they do guarantee it's a water view, but they will not and more importantly CANNOT guarantee if the view will be water or lake/river.

Not that you asked, but I have a dim view of water view at moderates overall. WHY? Your window(s) and door open onto an exterior corridor. In order to see out your window and across the exterior corridor, you must leave your curtains open. And with your curtains open, everyone walking by has a great view of ... YOU!

Since I'm not exactly going to be sitting or laying in my room with my curtains wide open onto the walkway, I don't care what "view" I may or may not have.

CleveRocks
03-21-2007, 10:53 PM
I will be staying at POR again this May with my girlfriend, (a first timer to WDW!) however, this time is will be in Magnolia Bend (water view) How do you know you'll be getting a room in MB? Unless you have a party of 5, you can't be guaranteed which section you'll get a room in. You can request all you want, but you can't actually RESERVE and GUARANTEE a room in either AB or MB (unless, like I said, you have 5 in your party, in which case you MUST be in MB).

I just don't want you to be disappointed if you get there and all they have is AB rooms available. I don't want you to think you were guaranteed something. :mickey:

If you PAID for water view, you are guaranteed a water view. Where that water view room will be is not knowable.

JPL
03-21-2007, 11:00 PM
I was upgraded to a water at POR a while back and when I tell you it was so far from the water we joked that the puddle in front of our room after the rain was the water view. We were in AB and have to say if we looked really closely through our window we could see a small portion of the river.

I have stayed in both sections of the resort and prefer AB over MB I think it has a much cooler feel to it :thumbsup:

Dicecatt262
03-23-2007, 09:05 AM
How do you know you'll be getting a room in MB? Unless you have a party of 5, you can't be guaranteed which section you'll get a room in. You can request all you want, but you can't actually RESERVE and GUARANTEE a room in either AB or MB (unless, like I said, you have 5 in your party, in which case you MUST be in MB).

I just don't want you to be disappointed if you get there and all they have is AB rooms available. I don't want you to think you were guaranteed something. :mickey:

If you PAID for water view, you are guaranteed a water view. Where that water view room will be is not knowable.

I'm assuming you meant if you have 5 in your party you must be in Alligator Bayou, not Magnolia Bend:mickey:

CleveRocks
03-23-2007, 05:13 PM
I'm assuming you meant if you have 5 in your party you must be in Alligator Bayou, not Magnolia Bend:mickey:I stand corrected. Sorry about that! :thumbsup:

Grace
03-26-2007, 01:57 PM
:mickey:

I loved the mystery of it- waking up early in the morning and walking along the river to the food court and feeling like I was the only person in the whole resort! I will be staying at POR again this May with my girlfriend, (a first timer to WDW!)

We have stayed in both AB and the Mansions, and each section was unique and lovely. No matter where you stay, you can still experience the sublime early-morning atmosphere (it's also one of our fave things to do- sip coffee and watch the sun come up over the mighty Sassagoula).:cloud9:

BUT- which will your GF like better? Rustic or French Provincial? Ponds and bridges or courtyard fountains and gazebos?

When you arrive, you can always find out what is available, and if you use your best honeyed voice, the staff will go to great lengths to try to meet your needs. Good Luck!:D