PDA

View Full Version : Carousel of Progress

homeschool mom
03-21-2007, 03:15 PM
Is this still open or has it gone the way of other great attractions? If it is still open, how can I find out if it will be open when we are there in May? My kids absolutely love it, and so do I!

bradk
03-21-2007, 03:28 PM
to the best of my knowledge, it's been operating daily for years.

it does not operate during hard ticketed events however.

Disney_Barbie
03-21-2007, 03:46 PM
Someone PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I remembered reading that Walt requested that COP always stay. Not to say that they hold Walt's wishes in the greatest regard since I also believe he said he never wanted to make a sequal, but never the less, the idea that Walt wanted it to stay gives me comfort since I too would be crushed if it ever were to go away!

TexasPrincessAurora
03-21-2007, 03:51 PM
It's been open all the times we've been on recent trips. I know they were doing some rehab somewhat recently but they only closed portions of the attraction during that time. It's definitely something we always try to do...it's relaxing and reminds me of the good old days at MK...and the song (no matter which version over the years) is always catchy!

Strmchsr
03-21-2007, 03:52 PM
Last I checked COP was still going strong. There's always rumors that Disney will do away with it, but that's all it is right now...rumors.

January-2007
03-21-2007, 03:55 PM
Yes, it was running when we were there just 2 months ago in January. Enjoy your trip on the wonderful Carrousel of Progress, we always have to ride it at the beginning AND end of our vacations!

bradk
03-21-2007, 04:08 PM
yes, at least according to Lou Mongello, it was Walt Disney's favorite attraction and he made a request that it always remained in the Magic Kingdom. that said, it was moved from Disneyland to WDW (but technically, still in the MK).

it was actually renamed Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress in his honor.

KAJUNKING
03-21-2007, 04:09 PM
cop is one of my favorites and is always on my must do list, its usually one of if not the first things we do

mickey98
03-21-2007, 10:15 PM
For awhile COP was running seasonally, now it runs everyday throughout the year, C.M. told us that there are rumors of a refurb but not a closing

PhilHarHarMagic
03-21-2007, 10:30 PM
"rode" it last Thursday. The previous Saturday when we were at MK they closed it later in the day - but it wasn't very crowded in the park.

LudwigVonDrake
03-21-2007, 10:54 PM
It's been open for my last few visits. I LOVE the Carousel of Progress!! :mickey:

Not2Loud
03-22-2007, 08:10 AM
CoP is one of the attractions that brings back my childhood like none other. I absolutely love it. DW doesn't love it quite like I do, but she induldges me at least once per trip.

The air conditioning, and that catchy tune. Maybe it reminds me of what I think life should be like...a bit simpler.

Off topic- it seems thats almost why Walt Disney created these parks. He wanted to be able to escape reality and find simplicity and beauty in life and community.

Too bad he (or the rest of us) never got to see HIS "Epcot" become reality. I don't think Celebration was quite what he was thinking.

flying carpet
03-22-2007, 09:08 AM
To the best of my knowlege Walt loved this ride and took it to the worlds fair. I dont think this will ever leave.A funny story my 9 year old loves the thrill rides but when i asked her what ride she wants to ride first on our next trip she said COP. I smiled...

homeschool mom
03-22-2007, 09:14 AM
Last time we were at the MK, CoP wasn't open. I know a couple of years ago, it was just open seasonally. I'm glad to hear it is open daily now. My 15 year old DD's reaction when I told her - YES!!!! :number1: I'm also looking forward to taking that "ride" back through time again!

wickersham
03-22-2007, 10:17 AM
We visited COP on March 14 and it was most definitely open, but no line or wait. All 3 of my DD-ages 7, 9, & 11--loved it once again! Not a headliner, but an attraction worth visiting, especially because Walt Disney's hand created it!:mickey:

Main Street Jim
03-22-2007, 12:21 PM
It *was* operating on a limited schedule for quite some time, but it is now open daily during normal park hours.

magicman
03-22-2007, 12:30 PM
Has anyone else noticed that there is a unique smell inside the carousel of progress?

Speedy1998
03-22-2007, 12:41 PM
Not to say that they hold Walt's wishes in the greatest regard since I also believe he said he never wanted to make a sequal,!

I have heard that Walt said this, but he did not follow it himself (at least with the live action movies). They made a sequal to the Absent Minded Professor when Walt was alive. I think there are other examples, but AMP was the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

Having said that COP is still running, however, it hours are shorter than MK hours.