PDA

View Full Version : Disney Platinum/Special Edition DVD

Earnhardt321
03-21-2007, 02:49 PM
I need a little bit of help and I knew this would be the place for answers. I am trying to collect all the Platinum or 2 Disk special edition Disney DVD's and I was wondering if someone had a list or knew of a site I could go to to see if I have all up until now.
Is anyone else doing this when the new DVD's come out?
Thanks for your help!

Strmchsr
03-21-2007, 03:37 PM
I believe the full list is as follows:

Snow White (Oct. 2001)
Beauty and the Beast (Oct 2002)
Lion King (Oct 2003)
Aladdin (Oct 2004)
Bambi (March 2005)
Cinderella (Oct 2005)
Lady & the Tramp (Feb. 2006)
Little Mermaid (Oct 2006)
Peter Pan (March 2007)
Jungle Book (Oct 2007)

101 Dalmations is currently slated to be the March 2008 release with Pinocchio or a Snow White re-release following in October. Those haven't been "officially" announced yet, so that could change. 101 Dalmations was not originally in the line-up, but has been added as an "11th" in the series.

2006 also saw a special edition release of Fox & The Hound and Robin Hood, but they aren't considered in the Platinum series. Several others have been recently released as "special editions" which really aren't any different from the platinum editions except that the "platinum" editions were suppose to be made up only of Disney's Top 10 selling movies of all time. Others in the 2-disk "special edition" category released in the list couple of years include Sleeping Beauty, Mary Poppins, Mulan, Pochantas, and (upcoming) Aristocats. Alice In Wonderland (2004) is the only one currently released in the "Masterpiece Collection." From what I understand the "Masterpiece Collection" just turned into the limited anniversary/special edition line.

For a while (up until about 2002 I think) Disney was releasing disks in a standard and "2-disk collector's edition" format. Released under this "Collector's Edition" format were Tarzan, Atlantis, Finding Nemo, Monster's Inc, Emperor's New Groove, Dinosaur, A Bug's Life, Toy Story 1 & 2, and Brother Bear. Movies like Home on the Range and Lilo and Stitch only got the 1 disk treatment (surprising since Disney overpromotes the heck out of Stitch at WDW).

If i missed one I'm sure someone will add to the list shortly.

Crow
03-21-2007, 08:38 PM
yes it gets confusing sometimes...good synopsis!

tron80
03-22-2007, 01:34 PM
Just a note:Lilo & Stitch did get the two disc treatment..outside of North America. It may come here soon however.