PDA

View Full Version : Opinion-better to bring 6month old or 1yr old?

Cozfamilyof6
03-21-2007, 12:31 PM
We're trying to plan a trip either this fall - November or May 2008. We have 3 children 6, 3 and 3 and a baby due this May.

Any opinions on if it's easier to bring a 6 month old versus a 1 year old? I know all baby's are different....but what are some pros and cons?

Thanks.

Buttercup
03-21-2007, 12:36 PM
My vote is for the 6 month old.

We went when our son was 7 months old and he was very "portable". He really enjoyed looking at stuff, watching shows, and he was enthralled with seeing things go by on the rides. He was also very easy to carry in lineups and slept in his stroller most of the time!

We went back when he was 18 months old and it was a totally different story. Still a really great trip, but this time he was more prone to get cranky... arch his back when you're trying to hold him in a lineup... temper tantrums... stuff like that.

Although it was really cool to take him as an 18 month old because he was able to interact more, point at things, etc. I still found the trip when he was 7 months old to be more relaxing.
:mickey:

vamaggie
03-21-2007, 12:43 PM
I would say go when the baby is 6 mos (for many of the reasons posted above) unless this is your only WDW trip for a number of years. Your 6 & 3 yr olds will be very active and busy and it will be easier to carry/stroll a 6 mo old than a 1 yr old (possibly new to the adventure of walking and resisting the stroller/carrier as mine was). The baby will not remember anything from the trip at either age but will probably enjoy seeing him/herself in the photos in years to come.

merlinmagic4
03-21-2007, 01:31 PM
I think it might be easier with a 6 month old. Once they start moving around (crawling or walking) they don't want to be in a stroller all day! I imagine my 1 year old will have some cranky moments on our trip next month as he is very active and likes to go, go, go! He is not used to being restrained all the time so he will likely give us some trouble!

CarolinaWDWFan
03-21-2007, 02:40 PM
I agree that at 6 months it will be easier to move around and do things. My son was 8.5 months when we took him for his first visit and it was much easier than when we took him 6 months later. He slept in his stroller, was satisifed with a quick bottle and was easier to get through the long lines. Your older children will enjoy the flexibility as well!

Happy planning!

5fromabove
03-22-2007, 09:30 AM
When we last went our kids were 12, 8, 4, 2 and 3 months. I too had debated back and forth on whether to wait until the baby was older to go. She ended up being the easiest out of any of them. I'd nurse her and then put her back into the stroller and she was happy as can be. I'd recommend you bring your own stroller because the Disney ones are hard and uncomfortable for a little one. I figured it would be easier to deal with a baby who couldn't run everywhere...then again, I was already having to deal with our 2 year old who DID run everywhere...so the baby being easy was nice. :) I'm sure whatever you decide you will have a wonderful time :mickey:

MsMin
03-22-2007, 11:47 AM
I find the most difficult thing to handle w/ little ones is the heat and sun. Babies can perspire too much and their skin is very vunerable to the intense sun and are too young for many sunsceen products. If you go early enough in May you will avoid most of the heat and your baby will be a little older. In Nov. the weather is not as harsh only thing that would be difficult is the heavy crowds at Thanksgiving. I've brought my kids @ 4mos, 9 mos and 14 mos but found the most difficult @ 4mos but b/c of the summer conditions-- it was July, crowded and hot and I was nursing.
When we return when she was 9mos it was Dec. and so much easier b/c we weren't fighting the intense sun, she coud sit up and interact more.
As you mentioned a child's temperment is a factor. Looks like you have a lot of experience w/ child rearing. If you were struggling (not that the best mom's don't have their moments)I would doubt you would even consider going.
I say consider the outside factors and how they effect your family-- crowds, heat, available time (it could be easier w/ 6 days vs 3) etc.

merlinmagic4
03-22-2007, 03:05 PM
Good point about the sun, Ms.Min. We went camping (on a little island with a beach on the bay) and I was always worried about the sun and whether or not he was getting burned. Technically, he was too young for sunscreen but the pedi told me I could use a little because that was better than a burn. Although, at 6 months I believe you can use sunscreen freely. You could buy one of those clip on fans for the stroller to help keep him or her cool, too!

kakn7294
03-22-2007, 11:03 PM
We've been with babies at the ages of 5 mo, 6 mo, and 13 mo and we didn't have any major problems at any age. Younger babies are easier to keep contained since the average 1 yo wants to test out their new mobility, but the older baby was much more interactive with the characters and attractions. I would probably go for the baby at 6 mo simply because you have older kids and the younger baby would probably be a little easier to deal with.

tomorrowschild
03-23-2007, 10:48 AM
Congrats on your up-coming baby. I am due at the end of April. We are starting a whole new Disney World generation!:mickey:

LuvAllPrincesses
03-29-2007, 12:14 PM
We went in December with a 6-week-old and he was very easy. Perfect weather, perfect crowds, perfectly content in his own stroller sysytem or Baby Bjorn carrier. Definitely wait until cooler weather to go than this summer, though!