PDA

View Full Version : AKL To Dark and Dreary?

Tink<3Mickey<3Cinderella
03-21-2007, 10:36 AM
We just had some friends get back from the World and visited AKL because they know that is where we are looking to stay for our honeymoon.......they said they thought it looked run down (although they know it is supposed to look like) and dark and just didn't feel like Disney at all. They know what big fans we are of Disney in general and they were worried we just wouldn't like it.

I want people's opinion because I was really looking forward to AKL Savannah View room, it is one of the reasons we chose Disney, however it is VERY expensive.

So if there is a chance we will not enjoy it I would like to try and save that money.

Opinions?

pox24
03-21-2007, 10:40 AM
Your friends are nuts! This hotel was voted the number one themed hotel in the state. You're gonna love it.

GrumpyFan
03-21-2007, 11:14 AM
While it is a bit on the dark side with all of the wood and earthy tones they used in decorating, I don't get the "rundown look". We haven't stayed there, but we like to visit almost every trip, and find it very rich and colorful.

BriarRose
03-21-2007, 12:13 PM
I haven't stayed there since Nov 2002, but we had a Savannah view room and loved it! In my opinion, of the resorts we have visited and stayed at, it was the most intricately themed.

Have your friends ever stayed on property before? Maybe they didn't know what to expect.

By the way, on the trip we stayed there, it was for our 10th anniversary. I had booked a Savannah view room, but when we arrived, they gave us a deluxe Savannah view room! Make sure when you book things (including meals) that you mention this is for your honeymoon. It won't guarantee your get anything extra, but they do take note of it and almost everywhere we went, they did little extras for us.

Have a great honeymoon and congratulations!

Yano
03-21-2007, 01:08 PM
I say don't listen to your friends.
we are going in April and it would be our 3rd time in a row to go to AKL. the atmosphere is relaxing and great for honymooners IMHO.
congrats...and have fun.
:grad: :flower:

KathyMO
03-21-2007, 01:28 PM
Don't listen to your friends. We have stayed at the AKL several times and it is our favorite WDW resort. The resort is beautiful. Yes it is a little dark because of the dark woods and earthtones but that just lends itself to the special feel of the AKL.

My DH and I usually stay at the AKL when we don't bring the kids with us. If we have the kids we choose to get two rooms at POP. That way DH and I have one room and the kids have there own room. If it wasn't for the kids we would always stay at AKL.

Kathy

Stickey
03-21-2007, 03:38 PM
I would pay no attention to this inaccurate review. You will enjoy a unique experience in a savannah view room at the AKL. Make sure that you request a Zebra, or Kudu trail room overlooking the Arusha savannah.

The wood and earth tone colors may be the reason for the dark theory. Of course, there is plenty of light when you turn on the lights, or open the curtains to your balcony.

Goofy Dad 13
03-21-2007, 04:38 PM
Agree with all of the above. Once we stayed here, we have not really considered staying anywhere else.

mdrob214
03-21-2007, 05:29 PM
If you want to see more on AKL, check out www.travel.discovery.com/tvlistings/episode.jsp?episode=25&cpi=83331&gid=0&channel=TRV (http://www.travel.discovery.com/tvlistings/episode.jsp?episode=25&cpi=83331&gid=0&channel=TRV)

This is the Great Hotels series (with Samantha Brown) on the Travel Channel. Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge is on this Sunday, March 25th at 9:00 am ET/PT! I plan on watching since this is where we are staying come November!

Denise

richardsa98
03-21-2007, 06:45 PM
NO WAY!!!!! I LOVED the Animal Kingdom Lodge! Don't change a thing! We can't wait for the villas to open up so that we can go back...and there is no other way to stay there but with a great Savanah view room! (Except maybe Concierge:) ) Enjoy

Ed
03-21-2007, 07:35 PM
We just stayed a few nights at AKL earlier this month, and absolutely loved it! We splurged and did the concierge route. We had a great room overlooking one of the savannahs (giraffes, zebras, elands, warthogs and "Tommies" were our neighbors), and off in the distance at night the illuminated tops of Expedition Everest and the Tree of Life were our nightlights. The sunrises were also spectacular, since our room faced East.

We saw absolutely no signs of the resort being "run down", and it was impeccably clean.

As others have said, make sure all the CMs you have contact with (both while planning and on arrival) know that it is your honeymoon. I can guarantee they'll make sure it is the most memorable trip of your life!

mouseketeer mom
03-21-2007, 07:55 PM
I hate to disagree with the other posters , I'm actually a little nervous about it:blush: but,..I have to agree with your friends. We stayed at the AKL concierge, deluxe room at the end of January. It didn't feel Disney to me at all. I missed the Poly and all of the action so much while we were there. It was dark, it was a hike and a half to our room from the lounge, it felt really far away from everything, including Disney! It was beautiful, sure, not run down at all, but just not for us. We like to feel like we are in the heart of Disney while in the world. We like sunny, light and bright and happy. It just didn't feel that way to us. The room was like a cave, and we barely saw animals from our room, only once when we caught the giraffes at feeding time..other than that we were mostly viewing birds and service trucks from our balcony. I'm glad we tried it. It was beautiful if you like that theming. I would not do it again tho.

RockChalkKimball
03-21-2007, 08:32 PM
We visited AKL once when we ate at Boma. We went early and looked at much of the resort. I enjoyed the resort, but everytime I suggest staying there my children say NO! They too, thought it was dark and depressing. And while the savannah was interesting, they said they got more out of Kilamanjaro Safaris and would rather spend the extra money on souveniers and stay at POR or POP. I guess the only way I will get to stay there is if I go by myself!

Spaceship Tigger
03-22-2007, 07:36 AM
The AKL is definitely dark, but I really like that about it. To me, it has that homey lodge-type feel that I also like about the WL. I really don't like the feel of the bright ritzy-looking resorts compared to the lodges.

So dark, yes, but depressing, certainly not. And definitely not run down at all. This is just about the newest-feeling resort on property IMO.

Not2Loud
03-22-2007, 08:21 AM
I think its all about personal preference here. If you are in to African theming and seeing the animals, go for it!

We stayed there in Feb of this year, and a great place, and can't imagine saying it was run down. However, its not my cup of tea. After the first half hour of seeing the animals, it lost the novelty for me. I like riding around FW in a golf cart, or sitting on the porch of any number of resorts looking over water and relaxing.

You won't be disappointed, have a great time!

BellewanaB
03-22-2007, 09:17 AM
It's your Honeymoon- be adventerous! BUT...it never hurts to have a back-up plan. If you're not a heavy packer, stay at two resorts! I've done it a couple of times and loved the variety AND the reassurance that I'm sure to like at least one of the hotels (and of course I LOVED both). As many disneygeeks, I want everything to be perfect as well and this strategy calms my nerves.
I sadly have to agree that I visited AKL to scope it out a while back and decided it was not for me. I adored the inerior and all of the beautiful artifacts and knowledgable cast members willing to discuss African culture, but I didn't love the outdoor theming or the "aroma" of the savanah.
Yes, you will be in east bum field in terms of property location (animals don't exactly enjoy fireworks the way we humans do) but some people don't mind a half hour to forty minute commute if they normally have a two hour one.
I do plan to stay there a couple of days someday for the private safari only AKL resort guest get before AK opens. It's leisurely enough that they'll stop to answer questions and let you take pictures-how cool!?!

Reguardless, GO TO BOMA! Holy cow! The chef there is a doll, as well. I kept bugging the cast members about how verious things were made so the HEAD CHEF came out and spoke with me directly and even mailed me a few recipies! (scaled down, of course!)

Oh! And mention to EVERYONE that it's your Honeymoon! If you're shameless enough to wear the bride and groom Mickey ears you'll get lots of attention. When I was in the college program, we were given permission to give out free ice cream bars to couples who were honeymooning and those ears made you guys easy to spot! Even just slipping it in when you're checking in at your dining priority seating can bring a treat!

Congrats and may you have many more magical disney memories together!

BellewanaB
03-22-2007, 09:20 AM
It's your Honeymoon- be adventerous! BUT...it never hurts to have a back-up plan. If you're not a heavy packer, stay at two resorts! I've done it a couple of times and loved the variety AND the reassurance that I'm sure to like at least one of the hotels (and of course I LOVED both). As many disneygeeks, I want everything to be perfect as well and this strategy calms my nerves.
I sadly have to agree that I visited AKL to scope it out a while back and decided it was not for me. I adored the inerior and all of the beautiful artifacts and knowledgable cast members willing to discuss African culture, but I didn't love the outdoor theming or the "aroma" of the savanah.
Yes, you will be in east bum field in terms of property location (animals don't exactly enjoy fireworks the way we humans do) but some people don't mind a half hour to forty minute commute if they normally have a two hour one.
I do plan to stay there a couple of days someday for the private safari only AKL resort guest get before AK opens. It's leisurely enough that they'll stop to answer questions and let you take pictures-how cool!?!

Reguardless, GO TO BOMA! Holy cow! The chef there is a doll, as well. I kept bugging the cast members about how verious things were made so the HEAD CHEF came out and spoke with me directly and even mailed me a few recipies! (scaled down, of course!)

Oh! And mention to EVERYONE that it's your Honeymoon! If you're shameless enough to wear the bride and groom Mickey ears :mickey: you'll get lots of attention. When I was in the college program, we were given permission to give out free ice cream bars to couples who were honeymooning and those ears made you guys easy to spot! Even just slipping it in when you're checking in at your dining priority seating can bring a treat!

Congrats and may you have many more magical disney memories together!:congrats:

FutureCorpsFan
03-23-2007, 01:53 PM
WE loved AKL. So much we will use our DVC points to stay there again in the future- - once our little guy gets a bit older. If you are a Lion King fan, you will love this resort.

The only knock on the resort I can say was the bus timing and travel time. I've since heard that this is much better now so it may not be an issue.

One of the very cool things about this resort is the smell of wood fires through the resort. It's not bad, but you always know it's there, and it becomes ingrained in your head. Later when you come home, and smell burning wood in the future, you will immediately remember your time at AKL.

BriarRose
03-23-2007, 05:23 PM
[QUOTE=mouseketeer mom;1230901]The room was like a cave, and we barely saw animals from our room, only once when we caught the giraffes at feeding time..other than that we were mostly viewing birds and service trucks from our balcony.QUOTE]

Unless the air temp makes a difference, when we were there in early November, we always had tons of animals early evening and night and a little less each morning, but we always did have animals. I think that if we didn't, I might feel the same. I don't remember which side we were on, but we had giraffes, birds, water buffalo, etc.

I also didn't remember it being all that dark in our room.

mickey&missy
03-23-2007, 06:04 PM
I agree with the others who say don't listen to them! We stayed there 2 years ago and it was great. It is a little dark, but that goes along with the theming. Its absolutely beautiful! My SIL and her husband stayed there last May for their Honeymoon (they were with us in 05 when we went) and loved it even more then the first time. They had originally reserved a room a the Beach Club but decided to change to AKL because they loved it so much the first time they figured why try something else. Like I said, they like it even more the second time.

Savannah view is reallllllllly nice. Definitely go for it if you can swing it. Being your honeymoon you may want to spend more time in your room ;). SIL and BIL loved relaxing on the balcony with a drink and watching the animals! There is really nothing like it!!

DisneyDudet
03-23-2007, 09:41 PM
I like AKL, but its not my favorite, but it is my mother's favorite.

While it is a little further out than other resorts, its not far from the All Stars. Is remote, but you're in Africa!

Its the quietest resort we've EVER stayed at. No noise from other guests, our room was always far from the lobby, which means quiet.

The darkness was theme. I thought it was great and wonderful, peaceful and gorgeous. The fire near the back of the lobby is so inviting, you smell it once you walk in! In the winter, it draws quite a crowd.

There are huge windows, so its not like a cave. Really, the rooms aren't as dark as you are thinking.. I mean, WL had dark rooms, but it was mostly due to dark furniture and a constant Disney problem of lack of lighting in the rooms.

I visited the GF and Poly last time, and both lobby's seemed darker than I thought they would be.

The bus service was always exceptional! No sharing with other resorts, which means, less people and non stop trips! People say it takes forever, but really, add in stops at other resorts, and you've made up time. We never waited more t han 10 min for a bus at AKL. At our other resorts, thats a different story!

Really, it depends on what you like. Do you like being in the middle of the parks like me? Do you like relaxing quiet like my mother? Or do you just like being able to walk to a park like my father? All three of us have our favorite resorts. We have to fight to get what we want, but money will win this time.. and so we all got something we wanted in the Swan, location, quiet, and right in the middle of Disney!

We have stayed at AKL twice and would again, only if they announce discounts, as we just can't spend that money on a hotel.

Septbride2002
03-24-2007, 10:14 AM
I hate to disagree with the other posters , I'm actually a little nervous about it:blush: but,..I have to agree with your friends. We stayed at the AKL concierge, deluxe room at the end of January. It didn't feel Disney to me at all. I missed the Poly and all of the action so much while we were there. It was dark, it was a hike and a half to our room from the lounge, it felt really far away from everything, including Disney! It was beautiful, sure, not run down at all, but just not for us. We like to feel like we are in the heart of Disney while in the world. We like sunny, light and bright and happy. It just didn't feel that way to us. The room was like a cave, and we barely saw animals from our room, only once when we caught the giraffes at feeding time..other than that we were mostly viewing birds and service trucks from our balcony. I'm glad we tried it. It was beautiful if you like that theming. I would not do it again tho.

I can definatley understand your opinion. I felt the exact same way, but I liked the fact that AKL was bit more removed from the action - made for a more relaxing trip in my opinion.

The AKL is a bit on the dark side, but to me that adds to the astmosphere. It has one of the best counter service resturants on property, Boma is fantastic, and Jiko looks nice and romantic (I haven't eaten there yet).

The things I loved about AKL were the little things. I liked the tradition of touching the sculpture when I left the lodge for good luck, I liked talking to the animal guides from South Africa. I enjoyed sitting around the fire pit at night with other people and talking about where you are from, and all things Disney. I loved going out on the balcony in the morning to read and watch the animals. And that was with staying in a standard view! There are lots of public viewing areas to watch the animals in.

I wouldn't worry about the review from your friends. Sounds to me like the AKL wasn't their cup of tea - doesn't mean it won't be yours.

~Amanda

Jeri Lynn
03-24-2007, 10:53 AM
I have stayed at the Animal Kingdom twice. I do agree, it is dark, however, that goes with the theme. The hotel is very unique and beautiful, the lobby is breathtaking and I found the atmosphere very relaxing. The CM's were very friendly and happy to talk about their native country with you.

Sitting around the firepit outside the lobby in the evening was particularly nice and the buffet in the evening at Boma is great.

The only thing I did not care for was the pool, I thought the water was cold and to me there didn't seem to be anything special about it.

That being said, although I enjoyed my stay at the AKL, the Beach Club is where my heart is. I am a person who likes bright and cheery colors and the Beach Club has the atmosphere for me, and I love the pool.

I would not hesitate to stay at the AKL again, but always find myself drawn to the BC because of the atmosphere, pool and location to Epcot.

tnpoohbear
03-25-2007, 09:13 AM
We stayed there last year and absolutely loved it!!!! The wood is dark in the rooms but the rooms are lovely. We would definitely stay their again and we just got back from WDW last week and spent 3 nights at the Grand Floridian and 3 nights at POR I would prefer the AKL over both of these resorts.:mickey:

Yano
03-25-2007, 02:17 PM
mdrob214 wrote: "If you want to see more on AKL, check out www.travel.discovery.com/tvlistings/episode.jsp?episode=25&cpi=83331&gid=0&channel=TRV"
I just want to thank you Dennis for this info i watched the show this morning with my kids they loved it. we are going to AKL in April and they dont know yet :secret:
they are going to be so happy when they find out...
once again thnks for the info
:grad: :flower:

Tigerinvestigator
03-25-2007, 06:22 PM
We will be staying at the AKL for the third time next month. We love the resort. I can understand some people think it is too dark, but we love that about the resort. The fireplaces wouldn't be the same in a bright resort. I think that it is one of the more romantic resorts along with Wilderness Lodge and our favorite the Poly. You will not be disappointed. The fact that anyone would describe this resort (which by the way is consistently listed among the best resorts in the United States) as run-down would make me seriously question if they really visited the resort at all.:thumbsup:

pogo
03-26-2007, 07:28 AM
We looked at AKL during our last trip. We also thought it looked dark and uninviting. We were staying at the Poly on this trip and if it were our honeymoon, we'd be staying at the Poly for sure. :D

J.C.&ALI'SMOM
03-26-2007, 10:27 AM
If you haven't already, I recommend that you check out Intercot's page on AKL here: http://www.intercot.com/resorts/disney/aklodge/default.asp

It has all the important info about the AKL and picture links at the bottom. Also look at allearsnet .com's accomodations section for info and pics from AKL.

We have never stayed there, but eat at Boma almost every trip. All the people that I know that have stayed there have enjoyed themselves except one. I think it is just one of those resorts that is either a hit or miss depending on your personal taste.

ThanxForNoticin
03-26-2007, 12:50 PM
Just like with anything else, especially at Disney, one person's "dark and uninviting" is another person's "relaxing peace and calm". The earth tones at the AKL are the theme. If brighter colors are more important, then folks should try the Poly or GF or POR. I think most people are like us, though, and just love the place. It's very relaxing and very enjoyable. I also agree that there can be rooms that require a lot of walking to get to at AKL. But I also contend that you'll have even longer walks at the Poly or some of the other resorts, depending on which building you are staying. We also love the pool, which is one of only two pools on property that won't allow pool-hopping (the BC/YC pool is the other), so it's pretty popular. It's not fancy, but is made to look more like a native lake, and it's great for small kids with the large zero-entry area and also the small slide. And another plus would be the restaurants - Boma and Jiko are amazing, and Mara is our vote for the best CS location in all of Disney. So unless you have been completely turned off by your friends, I would highly recommend you give it a try. I know we'll keep going back.

Magic Smiles
03-26-2007, 10:17 PM
We checked it out on our last visit and all of our first thoughts were how dark it was, but definitely did not appear to be run down. We had originally considered staying there at one time, but decided against it as we all enjoy a bright sunny place. The AKL is a beautiful place to visit for a couple of hours but just not a place that we would want to stay. We also were able to see a fence surrounding the area, which we felt took away from the effect of the free roaming animals.

PeterPan
03-27-2007, 10:49 PM
Run-down? Are you kidding me? What planet do your friends live on? I wish my HOUSE was so run-down. I honestly want to know WHAT they were talking about. This is one of the premier resorts in AMERICA, not just WDW.

kneerobber
03-28-2007, 03:51 PM
Stayed in AKL concierge room in 2005. My wife and I loved the place- very relaxing. Boma was fantastic. We didnt dine at JIKO because we had our 3 kids with us, but it looked like a place we will be trying in the future. We always rent a minivan, so worrying about buses was never an issue. Did not find it dark at all. GO! :thumbsup:

Raye3201
03-28-2007, 11:22 PM
We stayed at AKL and enjoyed the resort. We found it a bit dark - I have to say I was taken aback when we first entered the lobby because of the extreme darkness but came to like the relaxing atmosphere as the week went on.
That being said, we enjoy bright cheery atmospheres moreso since the 'lodge' feel is so prevalent in the northwest where we live.

I also agree with another poster who mentioned that they did not like the pool at AKL. The zero entry was nice, but we found the water cold and the pool area stark compared to the beach club and what we are used to from Disney resorts.

The buses took a lot of time - we often had to wait for a bus (sometimes up to 25 minutes) but not sharing with other resorts was nice. It did feel a bit isolated, however, and the option to 'nip' back to the resort for something (beit a swim, a rest, etc) really wasn't an option at all.

We would probably go back to AKL - the CM's were very friendly, the animals were great to watch and there were many activities for the kids to enjoy at the resort. The little parade that kids participate in at night is a lot of fun for little ones. DS (5) and DD (6) at the time were allowed to choose musical instruments from the store to play in the parade and they had so much fun! DD also met a very nice CM at the store who introduced her to pin trading and DD who is now 8 still asks to visit her...which we will on our next trip in July.

The AKL is definitely good value for the dollar - it is much less expensive than the other deluxes.:thumbsup: :mickey:

c&d
03-29-2007, 09:47 AM
We've stayed there twice and loved it both times. We found it very relaxing to walk into the darkened lobby. It had a very calming effect. Plus the smell from the fire pit when you walk into the lobby was great.

We also loved being able to watch the animals from our balcony and while swimming. We never had to wait more than about 10 mins. for a bus.

We will stay there again.

Jeff G
03-29-2007, 11:35 AM
Dark, maybe a little. Rund down, no way. This isn't our favorite resort but we do plan to saty here again because it was enjoyabe.

We thought everything about it was great except that it is quite a bit aways from everything but the AK.

The last time we were down to WDW we ate at Boma and the first thing we noticed when we walked up to the main doors of the lodge was the distinctive smell which brought back good memories.