PDA

View Full Version : Bequeath?

mrsHerbie53
03-20-2007, 11:52 PM
DVC Members,
Can you list your DVC membership points in your last will and testament?
What I am asking is if my DH and I would become members, what happens to it when one of us or both of us dies and there is time left on the contract?

THANKS!

dlpmikki
03-21-2007, 04:26 AM
If you were to die then the DVC membership would become part of your estate, so yes, you could bequeath it to someone specific.

Fortgoofy97
03-28-2007, 09:07 AM
Since this is a deeded property you are able to include it in your will. You can designate who you wish the property to pass.

Donald A
03-28-2007, 11:35 AM
I just met with my attorney last week to discuss this:
1) As was said in a previous post. The DVC deed would become part of your estate. Of course if you still owed money on the membership that would have to be satisfied.
2) The membership deed could actually be given to someone and not become part of your estate. This is what I plan to do should something happen to my wife and I. This would mean that I would transfer ownership to my parents. (keep in mind they would then take on annual dues and any money owed). Now if we have kids I might give it to my parents to use until my children reach the age of majority. It gets complicated but you can do just about anything you want as long as it is written down. I am sure you can let someone use the points each year, but I would try to keep it simple.

I should also note if it is joint ownership, and in the unfortunate event a spouse dies, nothing needs to be done as the other spouse is already an owner. However, it is probably still a good idea to spell this out in the will.