PDA

View Full Version : Mickey recipe mistake?

disneygoofball
03-20-2007, 08:49 PM
So, I bought the "Cooking with Mickey and the Disney Chefs" cookbook last time I was at Disney World. I've been able to make the Cobb Salad dressing from the Brown Derby, but I'm in a bit of a dilemma at the moment. Tonight, I tried making the Canadian cheddar cheese soup from le Cellier, and I think the recipe is incorrect in the book. Has anyone else run into this? It says to add 1 cup of all purpose flour, and let me tell you - that just doesn't work.

Anyone heard anything about this or know who I could contact to find out?
Thanks!

Strmchsr
03-20-2007, 09:02 PM
I made it with the recipe on Intercot here (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/dining/recipes/cheesesoup.asp). That one also calls for 1 cup of flour, which worked perfectly. Tasted just like Le Cellier. Making a good roux is not easy. Sometimes you just have to keep trying until you get it right. Wish I could tell you exactly how I did it, but I think maybe I just messed up and got it right. :D

SBETigg
03-20-2007, 09:13 PM
One cup? That sounds like a lot of flour. A good roux usually only calls for a few tablespoons. I have that book, too, but I haven't tried that recipe. Oh hey, wait, I looked it up on another site and it says 3 Tablespoons flour. Big difference. Maybe you can call WDW and ask or just try the 3 T and see how it works. One cup sounds way off.

John
03-20-2007, 09:39 PM
One cup? That sounds like a lot of flour. A good roux usually only calls for a few tablespoons. I have that book, too, but I haven't tried that recipe. Oh hey, wait, I looked it up on another site and it says 3 Tablespoons flour. Big difference. Maybe you can call WDW and ask or just try the 3 T and see how it works. One cup sounds way off.

But Chris above just said he made it directly from the recipe that is here on the site and it tasted exactly the same - with one cup.

SBETigg
03-20-2007, 09:52 PM
Yes, but the original poster said it didn't work and as a cook, I have to say it really sounds off. I can't imagine it actually being a cup. I'm going to call tomorrow and see what I can find out. Now I'm curious. But I'm really glad it worked for Chris. If there's enough liquid in play, I suppose it could be a cup.

GusNJacque
03-20-2007, 10:41 PM
That does seem like an awful lot of flour.

I'm curious to see what Tigg finds out.

MsMin
03-20-2007, 11:44 PM
I have a different book... the 2006 EPCOT International Food and Wine Festival Exploring Regional Flavors.
It does not call for a cup in this recipe it is as follows:
1/4 lb smoked bacon, finely chopped
1 med red onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup finely sliced celery
1/2 c finely chopped carrots
3 Tablespoons all purpose flour
3 cups whole milk, scalded
2 cups chicken stock, scalded
12 ounces grated white cheddar, Canadian Black Diamond
3 dashes hot sauce
1/2 tsp Worcesterhire sauce
1/2 cup Moosehead Canadian Ale, room temperature
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 Tbl thinly sliced chives
I listed all the ingredients b/c they may be the same recipe only it makes different amounts.
If you need the instructions for the recipe let me know.
A roux is a flour base usually at the start of the recipe and it is flour slightly burned in oil.
Flour can also be used as a white sauce which is made w/ oil and milk and is not cooked until brown. It helps as a thickening agent for the soup. I have several recipes that use a white sauce for a base and I have also used recipes that call for as much as 2/3 cup of flour. It can be tricky b/c you can end up with a soup that tastes like flour.

Strmchsr
03-21-2007, 08:43 AM
That does seem like an awful lot of flour.

I thought it seemed like a lot of flour as well, but I was following the recipe. The only way it worked was to constantly add liquid. It was non stop adding and stirring to keep the roux from getting too thick. If they've put out a different recipe with less flour, I'm sure that would make it less difficult to make.

SBETigg
03-21-2007, 09:15 AM
I'm getting ready to call and ask, but my quest for information last night led me to discover that WDW has released at least three different "official" recipes for Le Cellier's Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup. Some have carrots, some do not. Some mix stock and beer, some have more beer and no stock. Amounts of flour have ranged from 3 T. to 1 c. to 1 1/2 cups, and I found yet another version with 6 T. It's odd. Oh, and all of them have posters who rave and claim the soup tastes "exactly like" the one at Le Cellier.

MsMin
03-21-2007, 10:59 AM
3 TBL does seem a little light. The soup I cooked the other night, as mentioned called for 2/3 c and 7 cups of milk. Notice the one w/ the 3 tbl only calls for milk and not water.
I usually throw in heavy cream to make a richer flavor.
I've taken cooking classes from some N.O. area chefs and they are very casual about amounts- just approximations e.g. heaping cooking spoon of butter etc. Their spoon looks like my cup.
But a roux will produce a far different flavor than the white sauce and color too b/c it's brown.
We had carrot pieces in our soup last Dec. tiny pieces but there. Maybe different chefs have come in and changed it.

SBETigg
03-21-2007, 11:52 AM
I made no progress over the phone, so I emailed and will report in what I hear back. But the recipe that calls for milk and not water with 3 T also calls for stock. The actual liquid amounts only differ by one cup, making one possibly too thin and the other incredibly thick. The Intercot recipe says to add milk if it is too thick, so I'm guessing the one cup of flour has presented a problem in the past for others, too.

I can't imagine a good soup recipe calling for water over a good flavorful stock, either, but maybe the beer and bacon makes up the flavor. After all this curiosity got me looking into it, I'm going to have to try making it myself.

Strmchsr
03-21-2007, 12:16 PM
The bacon, beer, cheese, and milk all together make the soup flavorful enough, IMHO, that stock isn't required. It might be worth a try, though, just to see what difference it makes.

One key when making this is make sure you cook the soup long enough to make sure the alcohol cooks out. I made that mistake the first time I tried to make this and DW (who can't handle alcohol AT ALL) ended up a little tipsy from my soup. :blush: I don't think I'll ever live that one down.

kakn7294
03-21-2007, 10:29 PM
The differences in the recipes probably do have to do with the chef in charge at the time the books were published. I tried the recipe in an old Cooking with Mickey book that I've had for over 13 years and it worked okay for me - I can't compare it to the actual thing since we haven't had the pleasure of dining at Le Cellier yet (to be ammended in August). Don't forget to take into account the amount of time and the temperature at which you cook the soup may well be quite different from someone else's and therefore your recipe needs altered to meet your needs. Strmchsr is a testiment to this - Chris, did your wife get a hangover? I'll bet she wasn't too happy with you at the time! :beer: I prefer to make mine with the stock and no beer!

Strmchsr
03-22-2007, 08:09 AM
Strmchsr is a testiment to this - Chris, did your wife get a hangover? I'll bet she wasn't too happy with you at the time! :beer: I prefer to make mine with the stock and no beer!

Yes, quite unfortunately she spent the afternoon bowing at the porcelain alter and had a headache the rest of the day. So much for my New Year's Day surprise. :blush: Admittedly, she had hardly ever had a sip of alcohol in her life, but still this ranks right up there as one of my most embarrassing moments ever. The preacher getting his wife shnockered. Oi!

SBETigg
03-30-2007, 10:54 AM
Finally heard back from Disney re: the recipe. Here's what they sent, from Le Cellier (with a lovely note). One cup flour! No carrots. Chicken stock is there. The recipe differs from what is posted at info central by the addition of the red onion, the switch of water to stock (which should improve the taste results), and an extra cup of milk to balance out the flour. Can INTERCOT update the one at Info Central to match this one, which I think is a newer and better recipe than the one currently posted?

Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup
Le Cellier Steakhouse
Epcot

Serves 10

1/2 pound of bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 medium red onion, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
3 celery ribs, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
4 tablespoons butter
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups chicken stock
4 cups milk
1 pound white cheddar cheese, grated
1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Coarse salt, freshly ground pepper to taste
1/2 cup warm beer
Chopped scallions or chives, for garnish

1. In a 4- or 5-quart Dutch oven, cook the bacon, stirring, over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until lightly browned.
2. Add the red onion, celery, and butter and sauté until the onion has softened, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for about 4 minutes over medium heat. Whisk in the chicken stock and bring to a boil for 1 minute. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add the milk and continue to simmer for 15 minutes. Do not boil after you add the milk.
5. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese, Tabasco sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper until the cheese is melted and the soup is smooth. Stir in warm beer. If the soup is too thick, thin with some warm milk.
6. Serve the soup hot, garnished with chopped scallions or chives.

What to drink: Try a double-fermented, dark Canadian beer. The robust flavor complements the smooth, earthy flavor of the soup.

Strmchsr
03-30-2007, 02:40 PM
What to drink: Try a double-fermented, dark Canadian beer. The robust flavor complements the smooth, earthy flavor of the soup.

Thanks a lot for posting! I've heard Moosehead beer is what they actually use at Le Cellier. I know that's a Canadian beer, but I haven't personally confirmed that's what's in the soup.