PDA

View Full Version : Birthday Dinner?

DrivingSideways
03-20-2007, 07:47 PM
A good friend of mine will be celebrating his 22nd birthday during our May trip. Unfortunately, my two favorites (Mitsukoshi Teppanyaki and Le Cellier) will be closed during this time. He has never been to WDW and I want the whole trip to be as amazing and memorable as possible. We'll also be there with two other friends; one is a totally "foodie" and the other is pretty open and easy going.

I'd like to go somewhere a little unusual, but very fun. We're all in college, so our budgets are limited. This will probably be our big splurge meal, but I'd like to keep it under $40 per person.

We're all of drinking age and I know that most of us will probably want to drink something, so that would possibly put the price over $40, but since alcohol is an option, that would be fine. That would be everyone's own choice/responsibility.

My first thought was 'Ohana. I've heard such good things about it on the boards, but I've never been. I also thought about a late lunch at Mama Melrose and eventually arriving early enough at Fantasmic! to get good seats.

I think character meals would be out, just because he's never really had a "grown up" birthday party before.

The only other place that would definitely be out would probably be Coral Reef because I have a deep rooted fear of deep water. I am usually in panic mode by the time we leave The Seas anyway; I really don't want to add to it. I guess that could make for a memorable night, but not the way I want. ;)

I should probably apologize for my tendency to ramble! Any help is, as always, greatly appreciated!

sassafras
03-20-2007, 07:59 PM
How about the Biergarten at Epcot?

SBETigg
03-20-2007, 08:57 PM
'Ohana could be fun. Good drinks and affordable, plus you can get into the whole Polynesian atmosphere (there's live music, and the water pageant and Wishes on the beach afterwards).
Rose and Crown at Illuminations time would also be great. Even if you don't get patio seating, they have their own viewing area plus decent food and a jovial pub atmosphere. Don't rule out Marrakesh. The birthday partier can get up and belly dance!

Mama Melrose may be a bit of a letdown, especially if you have a "Foodie" among you. Similarly, Biergarten may not be the best choice with a Foodie along. Coral Reef is not a personal favorite, especially if you are looking for superlative service.

Sharon1026
03-20-2007, 09:31 PM
I would say Ohana or Jiko. Both are great! Jiko is more upscale and intimate, Ohana is more "fun" with the characters. Both have really good food.
:mickey:

DrivingSideways
03-21-2007, 01:01 PM
I just called and got a 5:10 spot at 'Ohana! It was that or 8:55 and I didn't really want to miss the Electrical Water Pageant and Wishes. If nothing else, we can wander around the Poly and GF for awhile afterward.

I'm so excited! I have to remember to call and get a cake. Thanks for all of the help! Intercot is the best!

offwego
03-21-2007, 01:10 PM
I'm so excited! I have to remember to call and get a cake. Thanks for all of the help! Intercot is the best!

I think you've made a good choice. Keep in mind if you noted the birthday on your ADR and mention it at check in they will bring your friend a cupcake slice of cake with a candle if you ask. (instead of paying etc for a whole cake at a meal where dessert is included).

Just thought I'd mention that option since you said budget was important.

mrsgaribaldi
03-21-2007, 06:23 PM
We really enjoyed Brown Derby in MGM and Rose & Crown in Epcot:thumbsup:

DrivingSideways
03-22-2007, 12:34 AM
I think you've made a good choice. Keep in mind if you noted the birthday on your ADR and mention it at check in they will bring your friend a cupcake slice of cake with a candle if you ask. (instead of paying etc for a whole cake at a meal where dessert is included).

Just thought I'd mention that option since you said budget was important.

Oh! Thank you so much! I had no idea. I have to say, I'm looking forward to embarrassing him to death with all of this. :party:

DrivingSideways
03-22-2007, 12:36 AM
We really enjoyed Brown Derby in MGM and Rose & Crown in Epcot:thumbsup:

I love Rose & Crown! One of my friends on this trip, spent a summer at Cambridge (she's a smart cookie, that one!) and I definitely plan to take her there for a pint! :beer:

I just hope that she'll follow me to Mexico afterward. :marg:

I just noticed that you'll be at Pop just before us. Too bad that our trips won't overlap. I'd love to say hello!