PDA

View Full Version : Dining Plan Gripe

Tez
03-20-2007, 02:17 PM
Ok, I didn't use the dining plan on this vacation and I understand that it saves a lot of people a lot of money but we found that people do not understand how it works and what counts as snacks and whatever else. It made for longer waits at the food counters. I was VERY frustrated with it in general!!!!:mad:

Topics to Discuss

What can Disney do to make the Dining Plan more clear?

What can Disney do to alleviate the impact of those who may not understand the Dining Plan?

SBETigg
03-20-2007, 03:32 PM
We didn't use the Dining Plan on our last trip either, and I agree that it could be frustrating being behind people who were using it in line. In one case, for example, I was at Yorkshire County Fish and Chips in a long line shortly before Illuminations. I was directly behind a family on their last day of the trip trying to get seventeen cs meals at once.

They didn't understand what the dessert choice was and if they could or couldn't make substitutions, didn't really know what they wanted. It took forever! Seventeen meals, because they didn't want the cs credits to go to waste. I'm not sure how many people they were actually buying for at the time. But I definitely can see that the Dining Plan can be a source of frustration. We are using it on our next trip, but we're armed with knowledge.

HndrdPrcnt
03-20-2007, 03:39 PM
I totally hear you and understand the frustration. I think that they should do a much better job of educating the people who book a trip with the dining plan. However, that said, I LOVED being on the plan on my last trip and we took full advantage of it. Our family loves to sit down for nice meals at least once a day, so it really worked out for us. We got our money's worth and then some!! So, with that, I am glad that Disney offers it. I just wish that they would reduce the numbers of days out to make your reservations and I wish that they would keep at least 40% of the tables open for walk-ups so that way you don't have to plan out your whole trip so far in advance and then be stuck to the resies that you made.

Bruegge
03-20-2007, 03:44 PM
I said that same thing to myself as I've read all these DDP posts and question

... I bet the lines are longer because of all the DDP quesions and issues... "what do you mean I'm out of CS credits" " Oh this isn't MY CARD get the other card out of the stroller"

(am i the only one seeing THIS happening??)

And I feel sorry for the poor CM that doesn't "hold the hand" of said person and walk them through their food purchase like they are the First people to use DDP. If they answer a stupid question too quickly they are gonna get yelled at.

Before you are allowed to buy and use the DDP you should have to pass a test....

post it here..... IMHO

Shame I'm not in charge

Scott

Goofeygal
03-20-2007, 03:56 PM
Me and my DH have said the same thing. It seems that it takes forever when you get behind someone that has the DP. You are right in saying that they need to be educated better on how it works, it would save everone alot of time including themselves,

KAJUNKING
03-20-2007, 06:22 PM
mabey just a good explanation at check in would work, anything would help

dmallan
03-20-2007, 06:24 PM
Maybe they should have a special line at the CS restaurants for families on the DDP!

Speedy1998
03-20-2007, 06:28 PM
mabey just a good explanation at check in would work, anything would help

They give you an info packet at check-in that tells you all about it, it takes less than 5 minutes to read all the way through. The problem is, most people do not take the time to read the info packets that they get at check in.

Marker
03-20-2007, 06:34 PM
I guess I've been lucky. I can't say I've experienced delays solely because of DDP. Sure I've been behind people who seem to extra "care", but it's definitely not always because of the DDP. There are always people in line wanting to make substitutions, changing their order, not knowing what they want, dealing with kids, etc, regardless of the use of DDP.

You know, I may occasionally be the person in line with an extra question or two, and when I am I certainly appreciate the CM allowing me the opportunity to ask, and I also appreciate them taking time to help me. So if the people in front of me need an extra moment or two, that's ok. After all, I'm on vacation, I don't need to be in a rush. A little patience can be a wonderful thing. But that's just me.

Sharon1026
03-20-2007, 06:40 PM
I've never had a problem with people in line. It's sort of like fast passes. Once people get used to it, it will go much smoother.

heart4princephillip
03-20-2007, 07:35 PM
Maybe they shoudl have a special line at the CS restaurants for families on the DDP!

That's a fantastic idea!

Katiebell
03-20-2007, 07:42 PM
I guess I've been lucky. I can't say I've experienced delays solely because of DDP. Sure I've been behind people who seem to extra "care", but it's definitely not always because of the DDP. There are always people in line wanting to make substitutions, changing their order, not knowing what they want, dealing with kids, etc, regardless of the use of DDP.

You know, I may occasionally be the person in line with an extra question or two, and when I am I certainly appreciate the CM allowing me the opportunity to ask, and I also appreciate them taking time to help me. So if the people in front of me need an extra moment or two, that's ok. After all, I'm on vacation, I don't need to be in a rush. A little patience can be a wonderful thing. But that's just me.

:exactly: ITA. But I work in a customer service job, I'm paid to be patient with people. I'm actually more likely to try to offer suggestions and explain the plan if I notice someone is confused or unsure how it works. It's a compulsion to try to be helpful, I guess.

r4kids
03-20-2007, 08:27 PM
I think it may be more a problem with people being uninformed than with the dining plan. It's not the dining plan's fault people don't choose to read or become informed. The same could be said for many things as far as ADR's (dining plan or not), parade times, fast pass lines. We chose to become informed about the dining plan before going so we were prepared when we arrived. I can only hope others will do the same but we know how that goes.:mickey:

JPL
03-20-2007, 08:33 PM
I have to say this has been really bad at the snack carts. It's not only the guests but some of the CM's seem just as clueless as to what is going on.
I also noticed a big problem at Cosmic Rays since there are 3 different lines and I saw a person order their entire meal after saying she was on the dining plan the CM asked her for the card. Her response oh my husband has it he is getting chicken just tell them over there what I ordered. Needless to say she had to call over to her husband wait until he checked out and came over with the card. Held up the entire line about 15 minutes since not only was the guest clueless but the CM didn't know how to void out the transaction or for that matter who to call for help.

VickiP
03-20-2007, 09:11 PM
I don't mean to be a pain here, but I worked at a major fast food chain for 5 years. Believe me, that kind of stuff goes on there too, so while part of it may be people being new to the plan, that's not the entire explanation.

I will say that we are going to use the plan for the first time in May. I can't say that we have had a lot of explanation of what it is we get with the plan. I'm hoping what they give us at check in is a little more helpful.

dtootsie42
03-21-2007, 12:16 AM
I was directly behind a family on their last day of the trip trying to get seventeen cs meals at once.

I have read this type of comment not only on Intercot but on another board. People keep saying it's a good deal but it seems that a lot of people scramble to use all their "credits" so how can it turn out to be a good deal if you are paying x amount of money for x amount of table service, counter service etc. but you are not using all the credits?

We are a family of 5 and I will be the first to admit that we are not in the norm. We have never used the plan because for us it does not save us money. We stay at the concierge level in the Poly so usually have a light breakfast there, then we have a sit down meal for lunch or dinner (we do more lunches than dinners). We are not big appetizer or dessert people it's just way to much food, we usually just get our entree and a drink.

I've heard all sorts of pros and cons for the plan and I guess it comes down to choosing what suits you best. I do agree that the plan needs to be explained better because there seems to be, for some people, a great deal of confusion.

Sorry to be so long!

Dec. 97-Contemporary
Dec. 99-Poly
2000-Disneyland
Dec. 2001-Poly Concierge
Dec. 2003-Poly Concierge
Dec. 2005-Poly Concierge
Upcoming trip
Dec. 2007-Poly Concierge

MsMin
03-21-2007, 12:53 AM
I love the plan and most times I know what I want and I understand the plan but the problem comes in when the CS is not clear. An entree at one place includes a side and at the next it doesn't and you have to pick one.
FOR EXAMPLE: A CS is an entree, side, desert and drink. But if you get a burger it comes w/ fries so you don't get a side but if you get a chicken sandwich it doesn't come w/ fries so you need a side and desert do you want fries??? Say you want a shake it looks like a drink but it's a desert so you can get a drink and a shake but you don't want two drinks. Then you go to the next place and you get a flatbread sandwich and it doesn't come w/ a side b/c there are veggies on the sandwich which count as your side:confused: and no you can't get a shake as a desert it's a drink here. You would be surprised at the differences among the restaurants.
If they were marked w/ symbols (some simple notation) not gibberish you can't read from 25 ft. For lunch you get a star - entree, a dot, side, a crescent- desert and a triangle -drinks. Then mark the items like prices.... the burger and fries cost a star and dot. They just need to make it easier for substituting if they are going to allow so many changes. :twocents:
We try to organize what we want to eat before getting in line whether we are using DDP or not. It makes it easier to have a note w/ 1 person.

angedeaile
03-21-2007, 01:44 AM
I know I have tried to study up on this information and understand the plan completely before I decide to add that to my package. I don't want to be one of these individuals who don't understand the plan and jump into it...not understanding the ins and outs. Not only that, but I am sure it is frustrating to feel lost and confused at the counters.

MsMin did a great job of supplying examples. I noticed that other people had problems on my last trip and I know I was glad I didn't sign up for the program. This is also why I am hesitant, but want to try something new.

Overall, I think things could be alot easier if every dining place in DW got on the same page. I think it might make a dent on some of that extra confusion.

As for the woman who held up the line because her DH was in another line, that is just pure stupidity. If it wasn't the DDP card, it would have been a wallet or a credit card. Some people just need a good kick in the rear.

LibertyTreeGal
03-21-2007, 05:54 AM
I understand this. I was at Cosmic Rays one night last Feb and I was listening to the most exhausted CM in the world give directions over and over again. So I got up to the register and said:

Dining Plan, 2 adults
Rotisserie, fries, coke, carrot cake
Rotisserie, fries, water, chocolate cake

He looked at me with such shocked gratitude that I thought he might cry. I said that I had been listening to him since I got in line and that I was sorry that people weren't listening to the people in front of them otherwise they would already know what he needs to know. Those poor people, I have to admit that this does make the Dining Plan a hassle.....

Dewgin
03-21-2007, 09:20 AM
As for my family, we've been saving for years and this is our first trip. We are on the DDP for several reasons, the main 2 being that it saves us money and we won't have the concern of "do we have enough left to eat today", since we are going on a budget.

LibertyTreeGal
03-21-2007, 09:32 AM
I was a first time DDP plan user in the story I told. The reason I knew what to do was because of the folks here at Intercot, who I personally know have given you lots of advice, but also because after standing in line for ten minutes I had figured out what was going on.

Dewgin
03-21-2007, 09:48 AM
The thing is, you can read and read and read and feel as if you fully understand everything there is to know about something, such as the DDP. But, until you are down there and faced with the counter and the activity and the excitement and the choices, you don't know for sure that you really do understand all there is to know.

I'm scared to death I'm going to get there and have this same problem. Not know what sides are really sides and what desserts are really desserts and not snacks. I'm concerned that I've booked TS locations that are not going to please everyone. Or, what if my kids ask for something totally off the wall that they aren't allowed to have because it's not on the kid's menu. It's frustrating sitting here in my home. I can't imagine how I'll feel once I'm there!

I'm just saying, be patient. Those people are not intentionally trying to ruin your vacation by making you wait in line. If you see someone struggling, offer to help them out. Don't just stand there making it worse huffing and pacing (not saying you did but most people can clearly tell when someone is irritated at them) making a stressful situation even more so.

Disneyatic
03-21-2007, 10:49 AM
While I understand frustration when having to wait longer than normal for something, I have to play devil's advocate here...
I think alot of people do not realize that a vacation to WDW takes more than a just "click and go" effort. Our first trip was last year and thankfully I have a disney afficianado for a cousin and she gave me all sorts of tips and websites so I was able to be in the know.....
But I was talking to another mom at a birthday party the other day and she said they had just booked a trip to WDW in August with the DDP. When I asked what ADRs they had made she had NO clue that they had to make advance reservations!! So I gave her as much info as I could, this website address and my old Birnbaum's travel guide. Hopefully I helped.

My point here is that planning a successful Disney vacation is no small feat! I think the dining plan is wonderful but being a newbie is a scary thing and sometimes even reading the literature doesn't give you an idea of what it's actually going to be like!

Marker
03-21-2007, 11:09 AM
I'm just saying, be patient. Those people are not intentionally trying to ruin your vacation by making you wait in line. If you see someone struggling, offer to help them out. Don't just stand there making it worse huffing and pacing (not saying you did but most people can clearly tell when someone is irritated at them) making a stressful situation even more so.

Well said.

If a couple extra minutes is going to cause that much grief, they someone really needs to relax.

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but my life is way too short to allow myself to be so stressed out over minor inconviences. Face it, we're all confused at some point, regardless of how much we think we know, and we've all, at one time or another, been the reason for a delay, and no doubt will be again at some point.

Figment!
03-21-2007, 11:16 AM
:cop: Moderator Note :cop:

Okay folks, it is becoming apparent that not much good can come from a discussion on "Why and/or how Guests do not understand the dining plan".

In order to keep the general idea of this thread alive and open, let's shift the focus to "what can Disney do to make the Dining Plan more clear" and "alleviate the impact of those who may not understand the Dining Plan".

To nudge the thread in this more amicable direction some references and responses to the original direction of the thread have been edited or removed.

Thank you.

As a related Public Service Announcement:

If you find a thread topic offensive, please use the "report a post" button rather than posting your discontent in the thread.

pshokie
03-21-2007, 11:17 AM
I can garuantee you that I am going to flinch when I get to my first CS and go....whats a side? Do I get a side or order a side..... :confused:

Then I curl into a ball and cry for my mommy.:blush:

mook3y
03-21-2007, 11:51 AM
We have used the dining plan twice now and the most glaring problem I saw was when trying to redeem for snacks. Many times it took a long time - as long as 10 minutes to get soda's once - for the CM to either get the system to work or to figure out how to use a snack credits. My thought... maybe if they just gave everyone each a punch card that they punch each time you redeem a snack....

tony2979
03-21-2007, 01:28 PM
The thing is, you can read and read and read and feel as if you fully understand everything there is to know about something, such as the DDP. But, until you are down there and faced with the counter and the activity and the excitement and the choices, you don't know for sure that you really do understand all there is to know.

I'm scared to death I'm going to get there and have this same problem. Not know what sides are really sides and what desserts are really desserts and not snacks. I'm concerned that I've booked TS locations that are not going to please everyone. Or, what if my kids ask for something totally off the wall that they aren't allowed to have because it's not on the kid's menu. It's frustrating sitting here in my home. I can't imagine how I'll feel once I'm there!

First and foremost........

Congratulations on your family's first trip to Disney!!!!!!!!!:pixie: :pixie:

Don't worry, just the fact that you are on this board says that you are making every effort to plan this vacation well. If you are doing that, then you won't have any problem. My family took our first trip last September and I was mortified of having problems with the DDP also. 6 days and not ONE problem. We (meaning I :mickey:) researched what was and was not ok prior to the trip and it was a snap. Counter service can be a little challenging, but we must have guessed very well because we basicly ordered what we wanted and it was always on the plan. The only issue that I had was the very nice cast members INSISTING that I order a desert when I couldn't order another bite. :D

I also know what you mean about kids wanting something off the plan. I have a couple of picky eaters and we never had a problem. Think of it this way.....a vacation at disney world is a war! You will have many battles. Some you lose, some you win. Sometimes your kids will be unhappy about something, most of the time they won't. The important thing is not winning every battle, but winning the war which means that at the end of the day, the kids had a great time in the most magical place on earth.

On the dining plan issue, I would agree that CS can be a tie up for those who didn't take the time to do a little research prior to the trip, but I'm not sure what else Disney can do other than a little "full court press" at check in to get folks on the plan to read the information on how to use the plan. Maybe even a little show on the resort TV explaining how it works! That would be kind of neat.

jillluvsdisney
03-21-2007, 05:33 PM
I have two comments based on observations from my last trip.

1) I can't understand how anyone could get confused using the snack credits at a store or a food court. I found everything to be packaged in such a way that it was very obvious what was included on the DDP.

2) Lines at kiosks in the park seems to move at a SNAIL'S PACE when people were using the DDP .:mad: :mad: Things seemed to move so much faster if people in line were paying cash. This was the norm no matter what park or what type of cart/kiosk I was at. 3 people in line and it takes 10 minutes to get a bottle of Coke. UGH !!

magicofdisney
03-21-2007, 05:50 PM
We got ppl who can't figure out the Fastpass system, how on earth will they decipher the DDP? Disney can only do so much. I do think a DDP line only is a great idea though.

vamaggie
03-21-2007, 06:27 PM
We are using the DDP on our upcoming trip in Nov and I am a bit freaked even though I am an obsessive planner/reader/list maker. I hope all goes well:thumbsup: I don't think a separate DP line would be fair to those of us who take time to understand what we are buying. I do like the idea of a test to take before getting the plan. Disney could do a little kiosk at the various places folks check in where you have to answer a series of questions in order to get your DDP activated--kinda like the DMV has for licenses. Might force folks to actually read the abundance of materials available that explain the plan. If not, they will be the ones having to wait, not the rest of us.

LibertyTreeGal
03-21-2007, 06:30 PM
As a DDP participant, I would be willing to wait in a DDP line -- I think it's actually a great idea.

Marker
03-22-2007, 09:48 AM
This seems like such a non-issue.

Seasonscraps
03-22-2007, 10:20 AM
I think the problem is due to the sheer volume of people more then lack of knowledge of the DDP. Yes, there is a learning curve. Yes, the CM's behind the counter have to repeat the same answers all day long and I am sure it gets boring. Yes, some people don't know what they are going to order until they get to the register. Yes, some people won't have their cash or cards ready when needed. What can you do? DH & I try to eat slightly before or after lunch rushes to avoid the lines.

And I can't see how dedicated DDP guest lines would work. A significant number of people have the DDP so multiple lines will be needed. IF a DDP person gets on the wrong line I cannot imagine the CM telling them to go wait somewhere else. Also, if the cash line moves significantly faster then the DDP guest line, they will move over. I think this is a big if by the way. And I would be shocked if the CM's turned them away.

SurferStitch
03-22-2007, 01:26 PM
DH and I found the DDP system to be very simple and easy to follow when we used it for the first time in December.

Counter Service:

Most things on the menus are combos, so you don't have to worry about a side. It was easy to find the desserts because they were listed under the "DESSERTS" heading on the menu board. Some CM's asked immediately if we were on the plan, others didn't. I simply stated we were on the plan, ordered easily, and got my food. Lines were no longer than they were on previous trips.

Snacks:

We didn't notice any long lines or waits to get snacks at kiosks. Seemed pretty much the same as always. It was also pretty easy to get snacks at the bakeries and other snack shops. If it was under $4 (except for things like fudge), it was included. If we weren't sure about something, a simple quick question was asked and answered.

Table Service:

TS is very relaxed anyway, so the servers are able to answer any questions you may have. Some TS locations allow you to add a side under the plan, others don't. Some include a soft drink and coffee, some don't. You just have to ask. Many servers immediately stated what we could or couldn't get under the plan once we mentioned it, so there were no questions to be asked at all.

So overall, no....I don't think there are any problems with the DDP. Disney made it pretty clear and simple IMHO.

magicofdisney
03-22-2007, 03:04 PM
So overall, no....I don't think there are any problems with the DDP. Disney made it pretty clear and simple IMHO.
Too bad everyone isn't as intuitive as you and your DH.

Katiebell
03-27-2007, 02:24 PM
Just an observation, because I saw several people mention this...

CS meals do not come with a side. A CS meal is:

Entree, Beverage, Dessert
OR
Combo meal, Beverage, Dessert

If the item you are ordering does not specifically say it comes with fries, chips, salad, etc. then it is the entree only. If you want fries or any other side, you could pay OOP or use a snack credit if it's accepted for that item.

If it's a combo meal, the menu should indicate that it automatically comes with a side.

Some of the confusion came about when places like Casey's were originally giving hot dogs and fries for a CS credit, but they aren't priced on the menu as a combo meal. So now it's hot dog only and fries have to be ordered separately. So at Casey's, for your CS credit, you can get a hot dog, beverage, and dessert.

HTH!

KevGuy
03-28-2007, 10:47 AM
Well I'm doing the DDP and will be on my first trip to Disney as well. I think patience should be the motto for some of you Disney pros after reading this thread. I spent tons on this vacation and would hope that people really don't get mad when someone is confused. Because all I can say is sorry in advance, but to be honest I could really care less if you are it won't effect me in the least as I am under the influence of magic pixie dust and everything is wonderful lol. :D

bicker
03-29-2007, 09:33 AM
What can Disney do to make the Dining Plan more clear?I think they're riding a fine line between clarity and value. They can make it clearer, but in doing so they may reduce its value, since it would inevitably eliminate a lot of the flexibility each restaurant and each server has to do something special for just one guest, or to more broadly, vary a little bit (in a more generous direction) from the minimum standard set forth in the "clearer" specification of the Dining Plan.

Alternatively, they can stop riding the line, and just boost the price a lot to account for how far folks can drive up the value they can derive, if subject to no restrictions whatsoever, or at least simpler restrictions.

What can Disney do to alleviate the impact of those who may not understand the Dining Plan?This is almost a loaded question, IMHO. AFAIC, the only thing that they can do to directly address that specific issue is have more set meals and less flexibility, again degrading the value.

bicker
03-29-2007, 09:35 AM
But I work in a customer service job, I'm paid to be patient with people. I'm actually more likely to try to offer suggestions and explain the plan if I notice someone is confused or unsure how it works. It's a compulsion to try to be helpful, I guess.However, it is a dual-edge sword, especially in the case of CS. Every extra minute you help the guest right in front of you is another minute you're delaying the guest behind that guest. A CM's time, in that circumstance is a Zero Sum Game (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_Sum_Game). The total amount of "satisfaction" available is practically a fixed quantity, and so it becomes a matter of how to fairly allocate the available satisfaction among the guests waiting.

bicker
03-29-2007, 09:43 AM
The thing is, you can read and read and read and feel as if you fully understand everything there is to know about something, such as the DDP. But, until you are down there and faced with the counter and the activity and the excitement and the choices, you don't know for sure that you really do understand all there is to know. This is a good point. I think some guests look at CMs as adversaries instead of guides. Too often I see such folks objecting to or arguing with the CM. I know quite a bit about the Dining Plan -- practically STUDYING it clinically for over a year and half! :rotfl: Yet, while there in front of a CM, who is telling me that X is included and Y is not, I instinctively know to accept what the CM says, rather than argue the point. I think if Disney could communicate better that the CM is the final arbiter, and if the CMs stick to their guns (and their management backs them up) it will help smooth things out.

Kairi_7378
04-01-2007, 10:17 AM
Whenever I was in line at a restaurant, and they took my order, I said to the Cast Member, "I am on the dining plan. Could you please explain to me what I get at this restaurant?" They would then say, "Entree, dessert, drink," "Combo, dessert, drink," or whatever the deal was at that restaurant. It took 2-3 minutes. Tops.

There were more delays with people whose children were screaming "I want chicken fingers!" at places where they weren't served, people who didn't read the menu before getting in line, etc.

In general, I felt that the service at the counter service restaurants was very slow, and that if the ordering process was any faster they wouldn't be able to handle it!

LibertyTreeGal
04-01-2007, 10:26 AM
There were more delays with people whose children were screaming "I want chicken fingers!" at places where they weren't served, people who didn't read the menu before getting in line, etc.

This was my experience at DL this last week. Note: there is no DDP at DL. Anyway, I was at Taste Pilots and they have these automated machines, so you wait in line with the menus right above your head and then you get to the machine (the machines worked really well, btw). By the time you make it to the machine during the crowded lunch hour, you have had ample time to figure out what you want to get. Did this happen? No. Families get to the machine and then decide what they are going to get *sheesh* My time at the machine (which I had never operated before and was not complicated) was under a minute, ordering for 5 people.

But it's the same outside of Disney, people just don't take the time to figure out their order before they get in line.

CleveSJM
04-01-2007, 10:50 AM
... So I got up to the register and said:

Dining Plan, 2 adults
Rotisserie, fries, coke, carrot cake
Rotisserie, fries, water, chocolate cake ...

LTG has got the answer for CS right here. Disney should suggest (boldly and clearly) that this is how you should order at a CS on the DDP. Race tracks do the same thing to speed bettors thru the lines.

Also, they should use some color coding on the menu items. Red, yellow, green. Red=Entree, Red/Yellow=Combo, Yellow=Side, and Snack/Dessert=Green. Build a traffic light and you have a meal.

Also also, make the magnetic stripe thing better. I had to get rekeyed 3 times my last trip and the key never worked well at the checkout. Yes, I used the protective sleeve each time and kept it away from all my other cards/metal.

AuntDJ
04-01-2007, 07:43 PM
Here is my 2 cents....I have been to Disney and used the Dining Plan multiple times..so I am okay, however, I recently went with my family who are newbies.

While we (in my opinion) didn't have problems in the parks at the CS locations, our hotel was a different story. This is where I think Disney could make improvements. The food court in at POFQ was insane. Because there are so many choices and you have to go to a different place to get a dessert and they only have 1 CM working the dessert area, it bottlenecked greatly! Also, our party got separated as we all wanted different things, so my family was VERY frustrated as we had just checked in at went straight to eat lunch...so of course they had not read the paperwork!

Even after they got the jist of the plan, our hotel food court still caused alot of confusion.
DJ

Tyson The Lab
04-01-2007, 08:51 PM
However, it is a dual-edge sword, especially in the case of CS. Every extra minute you help the guest right in front of you is another minute you're delaying the guest behind that guest. A CM's time, in that circumstance is a Zero Sum Game (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_Sum_Game). The total amount of "satisfaction" available is practically a fixed quantity, and so it becomes a matter of how to fairly allocate the available satisfaction among the guests waiting.

I agree with Katiebell, It isn't her problem as a CSR to look at the big picture. That is management's problem. If she takes the time to inform/educate the people she is serving, maybe the people behind them will listen up and hear how things work and avoid asking the same question. If line ups are too long, then management needs to open up more registers or help out by talking to people in line before they reach the register to place their order.

A CSR should never feel rushed through their customers order. When that happens, miscommunication results. When miscommunication happens, customer dissatisfaction results. When customer dissatisfaction happens, unemployment results.

Katiebell
04-02-2007, 02:10 AM
However, it is a dual-edge sword, especially in the case of CS. Every extra minute you help the guest right in front of you is another minute you're delaying the guest behind that guest. A CM's time, in that circumstance is a Zero Sum Game (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_Sum_Game). The total amount of "satisfaction" available is practically a fixed quantity, and so it becomes a matter of how to fairly allocate the available satisfaction among the guests waiting.

I agree with Katiebell, It isn't her problem as a CSR to look at the big picture. That is management's problem. If she takes the time to inform/educate the people she is serving, maybe the people behind them will listen up and hear how things work and avoid asking the same question. If line ups are too long, then management needs to open up more registers or help out by talking to people in line before they reach the register to place their order.

A CSR should never feel rushed through their customers order. When that happens, miscommunication results. When miscommunication happens, customer dissatisfaction results. When customer dissatisfaction happens, unemployment results.

At my job, my call times are never the fastest -- in fact, I often barely make my numbers. But I get commendations from customers all the time, and I frequently get customers who come on the phone angry, not understanding their bill, feeling they are being cheated, demanding a supervisor -- and by the time the call is finished, they are calm, understand their charges, and are sometimes still wanting to speak to my supervisor -- to tell him they appreciate that I took the time to really listen to their concerns and really help them. You can be as efficient as possible, but the bottom line is you will always have to find the balance between speed and quality. I will zip through the work that is going smoothly and answer routine questions quickly, but if I get a customer who really needs my help, then by golly, I'm going to take the time to help them. Period. The customer may not always be right, but the customer is the reason I even have a job, and I never forget that. :yes:

Funny thing is...my original comment wasn't even speaking from the standpoint of if I was a Disney CM. I was saying if I was a customer in line and could see that the guest in front of me was having a hard time understanding the plan -- and especially if the Disney CM wasn't helping them or explaining things well -- rather than getting impatient and annoyed with them for delaying me and messing up my vacation, I'd be more likely to try to offer them some help and friendly advice. :D

Tyson The Lab
04-03-2007, 08:57 PM
The customer may not always be right, but the customer is the reason I even have a job, and I never forget that. :yes:

Funny thing is...my original comment wasn't even speaking from the standpoint of if I was a Disney CM. :D

thats right...I was taught that customers aren't a distraction from our work, they are the reason we have work. If a CM was helping me understand something and the person behind me was 'sighing' and 'moaning' I think I might be tempted to turn around and say "it might be quicker if you go wait in another line, this might take a while." haha

Tez
04-04-2007, 05:29 PM
I think a color coding items is a GREAT idea this way it breaks the language barrier also. I also like the idea of having a cash only line.

bicker
04-05-2007, 07:11 AM
I agree with Katiebell, It isn't her problem as a CSR to look at the big picture. That is management's problem.And CSRs need to do what they're told to do by management, even if that is to balance the time spent with each customer, among the available CSRs.

A CSR should never feel rushed That's a nice sentiment, but the reality is often very different, and just throwing more CSRs at the problem is not necessarily the answer, since that causes more cost, and if cost exceeds revenue, then the service gets terminated. Customers are not always (not typically?) willing to pay extra for better service like that. Often, customers just want a low-cost alternative, even when that means less service from CSRs.

Katiebell
04-05-2007, 10:04 AM
And CSRs need to do what they're told to do by management, even if that is to balance the time spent with each customer, among the available CSRs.

Yeah, I usually do what I'm told....unless it doesn't make sense. Then I do what it takes to help the customer. :D (I challenge anyone in management to come sit in my chair and try to do my job for a day. Just try. :haha:)

That's a nice sentiment, but the reality is often very different, and just throwing more CSRs at the problem is not necessarily the answer,

Oh, goodness, yes, please do not throw us. :eek: We CSR's do NOT like to be thrown at anything. We bruise easily.

...since that causes more cost, and if cost exceeds revenue, then the service gets terminated. Customers are not always (not typically?) willing to pay extra for better service like that. Often, customers just want a low-cost alternative, even when that means less service from CSRs.

It depends on the service, and how important it is to the customer. People aren't likely to pay more at McDonald's to get TLC -- if they mess up my order, oh well, I know it's probably a bunch of HS students getting minimum wage, and I just try to smile and be nice when I ask them politely to please fix it.

If my car insurance company messes up...there could be big problems. I am willing to pay more for my car insurance specifically because I love the company and have always without fail received excellent customer service. If there comes a day those customer service expectations are not met, I will start looking for a less expensive company.

If I had the money, you bet I'd be staying on the Concierge level of the GF, and there are others who are certainly willing/able to pay it. Since I will be staying at the Pop (just so I have a place to lay my sleepy head for 6 hours a night :sleepin:), I know it's a value resort and my expectations for service are certainly different -- but I still expect friendly, efficient Disney-like staff. :thumbsup:

MsMin
04-05-2007, 10:23 AM
I think a color coding items is a GREAT idea this way it breaks the language barrier also. I also like the idea of having a cash only line.

Problem with color coding is that there are many color blind people. That's why I suggested symbols. Of course you can color code the symbols :D

bicker
04-05-2007, 02:32 PM
It depends on the service, and how important it is to the customer.Absolutely. What we've seen, though, at WDW, is a lot more of the "save me some money" perspective, as opposed to the "put on the Ritz" perspective, in recent years.

Bruegge
04-05-2007, 05:13 PM
Absolutely. What we've seen, though, at WDW, is a lot more of the "save me some money" perspective, as opposed to the "put on the Ritz" perspective, in recent years.

THAT is an accurate and profound statment...

Goes4FastPass
04-05-2007, 05:48 PM
I think Disney has done a good job trying to communicate about the DDP.

As soon as you make something fool proof someone will invent a better fool.

OK, not everyone is a planning fanatic like many of us (it's part of the fun!) but I am frankly surprised at how many families save and take time off from work and buy plane tickets and show up at their resort, pick up thier room keys and then say, "Now what?"

I've talked to co-workers. "We're going to Disney World next week! We bought the dining thingy." "Have you made any dining reservations?" "No. Why? Can't you just eat whatever you want whenever you want?"

Then there are the people who try to stretch the system. "Can I have a cheesburger for dessert?" "Can I get half a chicken meal and half a beef meal? Would that be one meal?"

Many CS locations and snack stands have DDP symbols by snack qualified menu choices. A symbol for CS would be a good idea.

A separate line for DDP is a terrible idea! So is a separate line for value resort or non-resort guests or guests under a certain height.

Katiebell
04-05-2007, 05:59 PM
As soon as you make something fool proof someone will invent a better fool.

Brilliant, I've never heard that. I'm stealing it, hope there isn't a copyright on it...

Then there are the people who try to stretch the system. "Can I have a cheesburger for dessert?" "Can I get half a chicken meal and half a beef meal? Would that be one meal?"

I plan on going to an all-you-care-to-eat buffet, pointing to the entire prime rib on the carving station, and telling the CM, "OK, I care to eat all of that." Just to see the look on their face. :D ITA, it doesn't have to be this hard. If I want a sundae for breakfast, I'll use a snack credit.

A separate line for DDP is a terrible idea! So is a separate line for value resort or non-resort guests or guests under a certain height.

Thank you. Again, ITA. :thumbsup:

magicofdisney
04-05-2007, 11:25 PM
It may seem terrible to you, but Disney has begun experimenting with a cash only line and I can't help but wonder if this is why.:confused:

bicker
04-06-2007, 06:28 AM
A cash-only line can be set up without additional connected POS equipment. I suspect that's why they're experimenting with cash-only lines.

vamaggie
04-06-2007, 08:13 AM
"If line ups are too long, then management needs to open up more registers or help out by talking to people in line before they reach the register to place their order."

I think the idea of having a CM (or even supervisor) "walk the line" to see if people have any questions or don't understand how to order is a GREAT idea. Not only for DDP folks but others who may need some assistance (language issues, questions about products, sizes etc). Since folks are waiting in line anyway, why not use the time wisely? May not be feasible all the time but maybe during peak hours when lines are long (and since supervisors generally don't work the registers)

Granny Jill A
04-06-2007, 01:51 PM
Maybe they should have a special line at the CS restaurants for families on the DDP!

Yes, yes and YES! I love getting in line behind folks who have to discuss every single thing with the cashier.

Meanwhile, my food is forming icicles because it's so cold. :rolleyes:

Goes4FastPass
04-06-2007, 03:04 PM
What would be great is Touch Screens for guests paying by credit card, room charge or DDP.

Touch screens with pictures of what's available. You "touch a hamburger" then it shows beside it a choice of fries or fruit.

All the while showing $ price and DP credit cost.

When the guests confirms, the order is charged. First guest person to person contact is at pick up.

Once this system was developed having a dozen screens side by side would hardly cost more than a couple.

There are sandwich shops that work like this, displaying a picture of your sub as you add ingredients. Disney could do this so much better those places.

WDW is an international destination.
Of course, users first step would be to select a language - touch the symbol for Mandarin and you're ordering your hot dog in Chinese.

The touch screens could present as various DIsney characters. Mickey could take your order... or Cinderella... or Tinkerbell... or Stitch...

I wish I had been an imagineer.

January-2007
04-06-2007, 03:18 PM
Touch screens wouldn't work. I work at a place that has self check outs and the people are afraid of them. It's really bizarre. They would rather wait 10 minutes in a line that has a regular cashier than to have to check out with a computer. Plus, you have the problem of kids playing with them. In theory it would be great, fits in with certain theming, like Cosmic Rays in Tomorrowland, this is the way of the future, yada yada yada, but people just aren't ready for this kind of thing. They take long enough while they still have someone to talk to, I can just imagine if they have a question and they're just staring at the screen...

Goes4FastPass
04-06-2007, 03:37 PM
Touch screens wouldn't work... They would rather wait 10 minutes in a line that has a regular cashier... Good points. It would make sense to have a CM walking around helping those who need it and you'd have to keep at least a couple of conventional cash registers for the people you describe as "afraid of them" (self-service). I suspect these are the people who would rather wait in a standby line for 90 minutes than get a FP.

January-2007
04-06-2007, 04:12 PM
I suspect these are the people who would rather wait in a standby line for 90 minutes than get a FP.

:yes: Yep, pretty much. I don't really get it either.

PETE FROM NYC
04-06-2007, 06:57 PM
Dw and I just got back 3/9-18.Travelling with her side of the family,who are all WDW rookies.They had us(read ME)do all the planning ,which parks on which days,making ADRs,etc.
Well THEY screwed everything up.Never showing up for ADRs,changing schedules.DW and I lost several CS and TS credits waiting for them.
My beef too wwas that I could not find anyplace in the Marketplace to take credits.Granted,I did not try too many places due to my limited mobility,but we still wasted our money.

Katiebell
04-07-2007, 04:34 AM
Touch screens wouldn't work. I work at a place that has self check outs and the people are afraid of them. It's really bizarre. They would rather wait 10 minutes in a line that has a regular cashier than to have to check out with a computer. Plus, you have the problem of kids playing with them. In theory it would be great, fits in with certain theming, like Cosmic Rays in Tomorrowland, this is the way of the future, yada yada yada, but people just aren't ready for this kind of thing. They take long enough while they still have someone to talk to, I can just imagine if they have a question and they're just staring at the screen...

They work beautifully at Taste Pilot's Grill in DCA. It's our favorite CS in that park. And the touchscreens are intuitive and very easy to understand -- we've never noticed anyone having a problem using them.

I will refrain from commenting on the idea of separate lines for DDP guests, because I don't think my comments would be constructive. I'll just wear a special T-shirt that says, "Warning: I purchased the dining plan" and will try not to stand in your line.

Cash only lines are good -- they work well in grocery stores, and can speed things along if people are in a hurry and have green in their wallets. As bicker pointed out, it wouldn't require any computer changes at POS.

I also like the idea of having a CM or supervisor walk the lines if it's busy to see if there are questions. Also, it would probably be helpful for the CM's at the register be very knowledgeable about the dining plan. Some people have reported that CM's told them they must select a side with a CS meal, even though that's not included. Or that a CM charged snacks to the room instead of using snack credits. And maybe an official looking printed sign at the register explaining that you can't order more adult meals than the number of the adults on your key -- harder to argue with a policy in writing, clearly posted. Bright colored indicators on the menu boards was another great idea I saw on here -- red for entree or combo meal, yellow for beverage, green for dessert -- pick one of each, you are done. Pink for optional snack choices.

magicofdisney
04-07-2007, 07:40 AM
I've used the DDP and I don't get why ppl are offended by a DDP only line. Am I missing something?

bicker
04-07-2007, 08:02 AM
"If line ups are too long, then management needs to open up more registers or help out by talking to people in line before they reach the register to place their order."

I think the idea of having a CM (or even supervisor) "walk the line" to see if people have any questions or don't understand how to order is a GREAT idea. Both of these ideas beg the question, "How much more are you willing to pay for your meal?" If the general public is not willing to pay for more better service, they won't offer better service. Companies must understand their customers and do what they want -- not what they SAY they want, but what they ACTUALLY want, as demonstrated by their purchasing behaviors.

bicker
04-07-2007, 08:04 AM
I've used the DDP and I don't get why ppl are offended by a DDP only line. Am I missing something?It smacks of being treated as a second-class citizen. Invariably, that line would move slower (due to the questions and confusion that are the context of this thread). Dining Plan patrons are sold on the plan because they're promised, explicitly, that they'll be treated as well as all other guests.