PDA

View Full Version : DW 2 Retro Report

SandmanGStefani24
03-20-2007, 12:17 PM
Well I just booked my next WDW trip which is 209 days away! I started to look at older posts and found one that chronicled an earlier trip, so hopefully no one will mind me doing the same, since there was no Intercot for me to report to that time!

The year is 95, and it is May 31st. Myself and my high school band are packed and waiting inside our band hall waiting for final instructions before boarding the bus. Myself and my group of friends (who were members of our garage metal band as well) are anxious to get going. Dispite my reputation for causing trouble, directors made me responsible for our hotel room keys and nightly check ins to ensure there is nothing going on that shouldnt be and that all are accounted for. We would be staying at DaysInn in Kissimmee, room 326. We boarded, and got going with loud cheers and applause knowing that we would need to keep the energy going for the extremely long trip. Starting at near the tip of south Texas, we would be driving pretty much the complete length of the gulf of mexico to WDW. We got going, but after about 6 hours, a problem with one of the buses' A/C prompted the drivers of the 3 buses to pull over. One of the drivers (who must not have been too bright) decided to pull completely off the road onto the muddy side, which was sloped quite a bit. This combined with the weight of the bus caused it to begin to slide down the slope and angle sharply. Fearing a flip onto its side, directors ordered us away from the bus and everyone off of it. So, there we were, about an 1/8th of the way there, stuck. After about 25-30 minutes, a delivery truck hooked up a chain and pulled our bus out of danger and we were back on our way. To save time, directors had packed sack lunches so lunch could be eaten on the road. Myself and my friends pooled our cassettes together to have something different to listen to, as well as cards and such. Finally, 10 hours after our start we reached the Texas/Louisiana border. Our head director, turned to us and asked how many in our bus were in their first time out of Texas. (over half the bus) I never thought much about how big Texas is, or how some people never travel too far away from home. My thoughts were soon derailed when my batteries in my walkman needed to be changed. We stopped off in Lake Charles for dinner, and afterwards continued our drive. The skies began to get dark, and we traveled onward. I fell asleep somewhere in Miss, only waking up when our buses had been pulled over for speeding. I looked at my watch, and it was around 2:30AM. 17 or 18 hours, down, and more to go. Day one down, and the miles continue to roll...

sleepingbooty
03-20-2007, 09:34 PM
A retro trip report - thats an interesting twist! Are you doing this from memory, or did you keep a journal?

SandmanGStefani24
03-20-2007, 09:40 PM
believe it or not, this is all from memory! This was one of my first trips "on my own", or without parents by my side. I felt like such an adult, and it was such an amazing moment for me I can remember it like it happened last week.

pdrlkr
03-24-2007, 06:32 PM
:cool: