PDA

View Full Version : Silly Air Tran question

scooterca42
03-20-2007, 12:09 PM
I know, this will sound odd, but I've never flown a US carrier before. This morning I had a notice from Air Tran that they're having a sale on. It's not for September, naturally, but it got me thinking...

I don't suppose if they eventually drop the fare on the route I booked, that I could ask for a credit for the difference? The rational part of me points out that if they did that, they wouldn't make any money, but I thought I'd ask here anyway. We're all friends, and I have less of a chance of being called a raving loony here than other places I might ask...:blush:

On the plus side for them it would mean I'd likely use Air Tran again in the near future, rather than lose the credit...

And I know Air Canada wouldn't even consider it - they never have sales anyway...:(

King Triton
03-20-2007, 12:50 PM
This seems to vary by airline, and I'm not sure exactly what AirTran's policy is.

I don't think you'd get a cash refund for the price difference, but they might give you a voucher that you could use on a future AirTran flight.

CanadianWDWFan
03-20-2007, 01:18 PM
I contacted them about this very thing. They told me that they would give me a credit for the difference. I would then have a year to use the credit.

I have given up hope of ever flying to Florida again from Toronto. ALL airlines fares are too expensive.

I hope that this helps.

scooterca42
03-20-2007, 02:27 PM
Excellent - thanks. I agree about the air fares from Toronto. Mind you, I could imagine that many people might not notice if there is a drop in price, but those of us who still surf prices after buying would notice! Even if I didn't get an email;) !

VAdizneefan
03-20-2007, 06:55 PM
Just my input on this. Generally the airline's policies dictate that they'll give you a credit for the rate drop (with the year to use the voucher or whatever) but you have to pay the change fee charge on each ticket first -- with Airtran that is $60. That would almost surely make it not worth following the rates to check for drops. I can tell you for sure that this happened with me on Delta and they wouldn't give me the rate difference credit (without their $50 ticket change fee) and Airtran's site says the same thing about their policy.

From Airtran's site:
I have already purchased my tickets and have seen specials for a less expensive fare. Can I get the lower price?

Yes, you have the option to change an existing reservation. A $50 fee per person applies to any change made after purchase through December 31, 2006, plus any applicable increase in airfare. A $60 fee per person will apply to changes made after December 31, 2006, plus any applicable increase in airfare. Any changes to your reservation must occur at least 1 hour prior to departure.

If you wish to change your reservation, please contact our reservation center at 1-800-AIR-TRAN (1-800-247-8726). If you originally booked your reservation at AirTran.com, you may retrieve your booking and make your changes online.

Hope this helps.

scooterca42
03-21-2007, 01:08 PM
Thanks very much.

Can't wait!