PDA

View Full Version : USPS Rates to increase...again

BronxTigger
03-20-2007, 06:02 AM
So on May 14, the cost of a USPS stamp is going up from 39c to 41c for a first class letter.

The really crazy thing about this is that I am still tacking 1 and 2 cent stamps to my 37c stamps. Pretty soon, my envelopes will just be a line of stamps across the top!

The interesting thing though is this "forever stamp" they are introducing. You can lock in the rate at the current price and it will still be good if the price goes up, because the price will not be indicated on the stamp itself. Too bad my 37c stamps are not "forever stamps"!

ElenitaB
03-20-2007, 07:58 AM
Again? Didn't they just go up last year?? :confused:

I still have some "A" stamps floating around. I don't send mail often I guess.

DizNee143
03-20-2007, 09:16 AM
it never really bothered me before i would just take them from my mom..lol..:secret:
but im moving out next month..and its just another expense for me...seriously...why do they need to go up again so soon??
is this forever stamp out now?? maybe ill go buy as much as i can before it goes up...even though its only 2 cents...but every little bit helps...:mickey:

mtown71
03-20-2007, 09:31 AM
They said that the forever stamp will be released next month & it will be at the 41cent rate. UGH!!! I think I will be paying my bills through the internet now.

dizneyfreek
03-20-2007, 12:05 PM
Don't know why people complain about the price of stamps. It's the best deal in the world to send a letter for .39c. going up 2 cents.....2pennies!!!! i find pennies on the floor everywhere i walk!!
I think the more people who pay bills online(dont forget your paying to be online $10-$40 month) the more money the post office loses, therefore prices go up just like any business. lets just be happy that the price doesnt jump way up like gas, oil, and even ups and fedex:mickey:

SteveL
03-20-2007, 06:31 PM
US postage really is a great deal.
That said, I don't really care if it goes up.
Since I started electronic banking, I cut my postage purchases dramatically.
Instead of buying a book of stamps each month, I probably only buy six stamps a year now.

Magic Smiles
03-20-2007, 10:43 PM
The US Postal rates are so inexpensive compared to the Canada Postal rates. I mailed a Tshirt from Ottawa to Calgary, cost me $10.00 Cdn. I get parcels sent to me from Florida to Ottawa, $5.00 US.

mrsgaribaldi
03-21-2007, 06:41 PM
That said, I don't really care if it goes up.
Since I started electronic banking, I cut my postage purchases dramatically.
Instead of buying a book of stamps each month, I probably only buy six stamps a year now.

Me too. I only pay one bill by mail now.

Ian
03-21-2007, 07:16 PM
Yeah, I don't think postage rates are all that bad. When you consider how hard hit the USPS must be by rising fuel prices, it's not a surprise their rates would go up.

I, too, pay virtually all my bills online, so it's not that big of a deal for me.

Disneyluvr2
03-21-2007, 10:22 PM
When you think about it, what else can you buy for 41 cents? Not much! Although I don't like seeing prices go up, it sure would cost a lot more than 41 cents to drive a letter across country and deliver it yourself. I'll whine about the price hike but in the long run, 41 cents is still a bargin these days for getting my letter delivered considering the price of gas! Hey, do you think this will cut down the amount of junk mail we get??? Probably not but I wish it would!

2Epcot
03-22-2007, 04:51 PM
I rarely mail anything as well because I pay most of my bills online. I also have quite a few 60 something stamps left over from mailing wedding invitations, so I've been using those sometimes, even though they are more then the postage. I guess I can hold on to them, eventually the postage rate will catch up.