PDA

View Full Version : Maelstrom, The Jungle Cruise and Country Bear Jamboree

Catzle
03-19-2007, 10:40 AM
Never been to these. How are they and what to expect?

r4kids
03-19-2007, 10:48 AM
The Malstrom is a boat ride in Norway. It's a great little ride. No big drop or turns but very cute. Country Bear is a show with singing bears on a stage. If you have kids under 8 it is great. My older ones aren't as thrilled. The Jungle Cruise is just what it sounds like. A crusie through the jungle. You get to see animals(not real), go through a cave, under a water fall and be entertained by jokes from your captian. It's alot of fun. The Malstrom is in Epcot and the Country Bear's and Jungle Cruise are in Magic Kingdom. Have a great time!:mickey:

Jared
03-19-2007, 10:55 AM
Maelstrom is a boat ride in the Norway pavilion of World Showcase. The trolls and seemingly scary backward plunge down a waterfall are advertised, but the attraction really is not scary. The drop is similar to the dip in Pirates of the Caribbean. After the short ride is a movie about Norway. Many people walk ride through the theater, but I recommend watching it at least once.

Jungle Cruise is a classic Magic Kingdom attraction in Adventureland. The animals are fake, but the charm of the ride is the skipper. Your guide tells incredibly corny-but-cute jokes that will probably make you groan and smile at the same time. Like Pirates of the Caribbean and The Haunted Mansion, ever guest should experience Jungle Cruise because the experience oozes Disney.

Country Bear Jamboree is another classic Magic Kingdom attraction in Frontierland. Aimed at young children, the show features Audio-Animatronic bears playing instruments and singing songs. Some of the jokes are lame, but the music is fun. Even if you do not have small kids, enjoy the presentation at least once.

:mickey:

kurt
03-19-2007, 10:57 AM
melsterom is a nice dark ride. about on a level of Pirates. jungle cruise is a nice boat ride through several "lands", but watch out for the puns. Country bear jamboree is a pleasent animatronic show suitable for everyone. its a nice place to sit & rest. the show runs approx 20-30 minutes. enjoy them all.:goofy:

mrsgaribaldi
03-19-2007, 11:01 AM
Maelstrom I like and the Jungle Cruise I love, it's a classic. The Bears I could do without. I think we did it twice. Once just to see it and another time to see the Christmas version. I disliked both of them a great deal:(

Catzle
03-19-2007, 11:13 AM
How far of a walk in Epcot is it. We usually don't go any further than Mexico, we have never walked the whole way. Crazy, I know!

PrincessAmanda
03-19-2007, 12:33 PM
Maelstrom is one of my favourite rides at Epcot. It's a great dark ride; however, I find it pretty short.

JC is tons of fun! One of my top 5 favourite rides in the Magic Kingdom.

I haven't visited Country Bears in YEARS and really have no recollection of the ride.

WVParkfan
03-19-2007, 12:42 PM
Norway is right beside Mexico in Epcot, and the Maelstrom is awesome!

The Country Bears are cute for little ones, but can be passed-up if you have older kids.

The Jungle Cruise has been the biggest waste of time and space in the MK ever since they opened the Animal Kingdom. There is no nostalgia there, just tired old jokes and "fake" animals with early animatronics. SKIP this ride.

Take my advice, or not.

For us, the JC cost us a half-hour of our lives that we will never get back. Yes, it is that bad.

Red Randal
03-19-2007, 07:13 PM
The Jungle Cruise is a boat ride through a jungle containing animatronic animals and hosted by an intentionally corny and over-the-top (live) captain. It is is pretty dated but has been a favorite of mine since my first visit. It is certainly worth doing at least once. (Though I would do my best to avoid waiting very long to ride.)

The Country Bears is even more corny and over-the-top than the JC. It is a concert performed by animatronic bears. My review (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=92598) of the (no longer active) Christmas version should give you a decent feel for what to expect.

And, hey, what do you know? I've got a review of Maelstrom (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=70032) too!

While I find my reviews to be both informative AND entertaining, the comments from my fellow Intercotees will be just as useful. :thumbsup:

LudwigVonDrake
03-19-2007, 07:32 PM
I always suggest that you try a ride/show once and if you don't like it, you know not to come back. I did that with Stitch's Great Escape and I know never to go back ;) :mickey:

DISFREAKS
03-19-2007, 08:10 PM
Maelstrom a fun ride with a little surprise in the middle.
Jungle Cruise is a classic and the jokes never get old
Country Bears Jamboree is one of my all time favorites. Alot of fun

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
03-19-2007, 08:27 PM
We love all three. Especially Maelstrom. My DD 3, was not too thrilled with the trolls..we just told her to close her eyes. ;) We never used to stay for the film about Norway after the ride. We did once a few years ago and now we stay every time. Great, short show. Stay for it at least once.

Have fun!!

Sharon1026
03-19-2007, 08:39 PM
We love all three. Especially Maelstrom. My DD 3, was not too thrilled with the trolls..we just told her to close her eyes. ;) We never used to stay for the film about Norway after the ride. We did once a few years ago and now we stay every time. Great, short show. Stay for it at least once.

Have fun!!
Hello SSR neighbor! LOL the only part I don't care for in Maelstrom is the film. It is a fun little ride...

SBETigg
03-19-2007, 08:41 PM
Maelstrom and Jungle Cruise are on our Must-Do list. We haven't been to the Country Bear Jamboree yet either. Maelstrom is lots of fun, but way too short. It can be a little on the hokey side, but a very entertaining Nordic jaunt. Try not to get stuck in the movie afterwards- when the doors open, you can walk straight through the theater to the exit. Not that the movie is that bad, but you'll only want to see it once. The ride you could do over and over.

Jungle Cruise is lots of fun, but very cheesy. You have to be in the mood to go along for the ride, and the joke. I love to do the Jungle Cruise once during the day, and once in the dark.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
03-19-2007, 08:45 PM
Hello SSR neighbor! LOL the only part I don't care for in Maelstrom is the film. It is a fun little ride...

Hey there. ;) To each their own...lol.

PhilHarHarMagic
03-19-2007, 09:28 PM
I had forgotten how short of a ride Maelstrom is, but it is fun.

Country Bears is in need of a rehab - we were in the back few rows, and could "bearly" make out some of the audio. I was thinking that would be a really simple thing to repair with some new speakers.

Jungle Cruise is one of my favorite rides ever. You can basically walk on at night.

GiltterDisneyGirl
03-20-2007, 12:15 AM
Oh you should check them out next time you go, they are great. Marlstrom is a very cute and fun ride, totally love it myself. :cloud9: The jungle cruise is a great ride too, and very very funny, (sometimes). country bear jamboree haven't been in since 2003, but it is a cute show, maybe to once every once in awhile.

What is Idle Prattle For?
03-20-2007, 04:06 AM
. love to do the Jungle Cruise once during the day, and once in the dark.

Yeah...In fact, since you've never been on The Jungle Cruise I'd recommend going on it at night your first time through.

Not exactly 'scary', but definitely more mysterious when you don't know what's coming up around the next bend.

(Say 'Hi' to 'Dr. Falls' for me) ;)

LibertyTreeGal
03-20-2007, 07:51 AM
Maelstrom is okay, done it twice now and I really don't see what the big deal is -- and otherwise I LOVE dark rides. I skip the movie.

I love Country Bears and the Jungle Cruise :thumbsup:

Jungle Cruise is about Disney nostalgia and very corny jokes. It's awesome. You may not understand it now but you'll "get the point, in the end" ;) (That will make more sense after you've ridden)

Country Bears is just plain fun, especially for kids and us old timers. I am bummed they removed it from DL and I won't see it next week. It features such unforgettable hits as:

"Blood on the saddle... Blood on the ground.. and a GREAT BIG PUDDLE of... blood all around." (really hilarious)

"All the guys who turn me on turn me down."

and of course

"Momma don't whup little Buford."

King Triton
03-20-2007, 12:32 PM
How far of a walk in Epcot is it. We usually don't go any further than Mexico, we have never walked the whole way. Crazy, I know!

You've been four years in a row and haven't gotten past Mexico!? You were so close...Norway is the next stop.

By the way, walking the World Showcase may be the most enjoyable walk in all of Disney World.

Catzle
03-20-2007, 12:48 PM
I agree I know that it is crazy we don't walk past Mexico, and the only reason we go that far is to get a taco. I just figured with two young kids, under 7 years old, that there wouldn't be anything for them to do and they would be bored. We will go to Norway this year though and check out that ride.

Jerry2
03-20-2007, 01:23 PM
The Jungle cruise is about as Classic Disney as you can get! I remember seeing highlights from it on the old Wonderful World of Disney starring Walt himself.

I remember on our first trip back in 1976, the JC was one of the most popular rides. The wait was well over an hour. Just as you seemed to be getting to the front of the line the line would take you into another room that had another several hundred people waiting in queue. You wound up going through three or four such rooms before you actually got to the front of the line. It took forever.

As several folks have said, the JC is worth seeing at night. If you go during EMH or near closing time you can often walk right on.

The Maelstrom is fun. We don’t ride it on every trip but on most. We haven’t seen the movie at the end in years. At one time it was difficult to duck out of the movie; they would close the exit doors before you get into the theatre. Now they leave the doors open until just before the show starts so you can walk right through the theatre and exit if you wish. The movie used to be a short travel promotion for Norway. I don’t know if it’s been changed.

The Country Bears is worth seeing once, especially since I think it may be a prime candidate for retirement. Over the years I must have walked by the Diamond Horseshoe Review a hundred times and never went in. Now I wish I would have.

King Triton
03-20-2007, 02:11 PM
I agree I know that it is crazy we don't walk past Mexico, and the only reason we go that far is to get a taco. I just figured with two young kids, under 7 years old, that there wouldn't be anything for them to do and they would be bored. We will go to Norway this year though and check out that ride.

Everyone's different, but both of my kids loved World Showcase at that age. The kidcot stops, Norway, Chinese acrobats, drums in Japan, etc. Check out the entire WS if you get a chance!

FormerCastMember
03-21-2007, 05:14 AM
enjoy the first two...the Maelstrom & the Jungle Cruise

but dont take the time if you dont have to sitting down to watch the Country Bears

HndrdPrcnt
03-21-2007, 06:04 AM
For us Country Bears is a MUST-DO. Being from So. CA and going to DL at least once a month, we miss Country Bears so much and so when we do get to WDW, we have to see it.

As far as the others, they are all skippable!!

WDW_Obsessed
03-21-2007, 09:36 AM
No WDW trip of mine could ever be complete without at least one time on Maelstrom!:thumbsup:

battle beast
03-21-2007, 11:26 AM
The World showcase is amazing, even if the Canada circle vision film is 20 years out of date and WAAAAY to sterotypical. :oops: :shrug: :old:

I hear they are making a new one, and weather it will be up when i go in November, is something to see. The old one needed :help:

The Jungle cruise is awesome! YOu get to see the the amzing awe-inspiring back side of water, as well as listening to a very bad joke filled tour guide.

"Look at that Zebra playing with those Lions! He really is just LION around. Get it? yah, he's just DEAD tired."

battle beast
03-21-2007, 11:27 AM
The World showcase is amazing, even if the Canada circle vision film is 20 years out of date and WAAAAY too sterotypical. :oops: :shrug: :old:

I hear they are making a new one, and weather it will be up when I go in November is something to see. The old one needed :help:

The Jungle cruise is awesome! You get to see the the amazing awe-inspiring back side of water, as well as listening to a very bad joke filled tour guide.

"Look at that Zebra playing with those Lions! He really is just LION around. Get it? yah, he's just DEAD tired." :elephant: :D