PDA

View Full Version : According to Jim...Family Friendly???

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
03-19-2007, 10:38 AM
Does anyone else out there think that Disney's own According to Jim is often times NOT family friendly?

One would think a show involving Disney and children in it's cast would be family friendly, but we have given up on this show after many quick channel changes due to inappropriate subject matter.

Shame on the writers and more so, the marketers of this show.

mom2tyandkar
03-19-2007, 11:27 AM
I wasn't aware that According to Jim was a Disney tv show. I like the show but agree its not technically a family show. More adullt humor, I enjoy the show myself.

Mickey'sGirl
03-19-2007, 11:32 AM
There isn't a single sitcom on TV that I would let my kids watch. We watch a lot of Discovery -- It is much safer! :mickey:

Disney Babe
03-21-2007, 06:18 PM
I would consider According to Jim to be a Disney show. Not only is aired on ABC (owned by Disney), but the stars have appeared on Disney property (I believe it was DTD in DLR). I think one of the shows also took place on a Disney property, maybe a cruise. Anyway, it is supposed to be a family show.

I think it was good in the beginning, but has become less and less wholesome. I enjoy watching it at times, but I don't have children. I say, "at times," because I find it necessary to judge if I am going to enjoy it. If it seems a little disgusting or just plain stupid I turn the channel. The last show I saw was about the married sister-in- law's pregnacy. I don't remember it well, but I found the storyline to be a little weird.

My biggest objection to this show is its portrayal of men. I realize it's common these days to portray men as stupid idiots who don't have a thing on their mind but how to get whatever it is that they want, proving they are right, and fooling the wife; but I expect more out of this cast, frankly. The constant theme of dumb husband/smart wife gets old and unfunny. The show hasn't improved but has failed to deliver a better portrayal of men and their family relationships.

I also can't stand the brother-in-law hanging around and showing off his big gut in all it's naked glory whenever he can.

At least the kids are portrayed pretty well in the show, which is a far cry from some shows.

With this cast the writers have the chance to write a really great family comedy that has some morals in the end, but they just go for cheesy laughs more often than not.

Unfortunately, there aren't any (current) family comedies around anymore. I find myself watching T.V.Land a lot. I also love the re-runs of Everybody Loves Raymond. Yes, the show has the stupid husband/smart wife thing going on - but it also has such valuable things to say about family.

mamacon67
03-22-2007, 02:28 PM
I don't usually watch this show, or tv in general all that often. When I do watch, especially with my kids, I look for the rating that is posted with each show. In this case, According to Jim is rated PG, which can include some content not appropriate.

Here is the guidelines for what deems a show PG:

Parental Guidance Suggested
This program contains material that parents may find unsuitable for younger children. Many parents may want to watch it with their younger children. The theme itself may call for parental guidance and/or the program contains one or more of the following: moderate violence (V), some sexual situations (S), infrequent coarse language (L), or some suggestive dialogue (D).

If you go to ABC's site they have a summary of each rating. Hopefully, this will be helpful for you.