PDA

View Full Version : Soarin' ...New Movie?

big blue and hairy
03-19-2007, 06:45 AM
Any word on when Soarin' is supposed to get a new movie? Of course, the prevailing rumor is a new, more world based movie now that the "Happiest Celebration" is over. Any info?

:sulley:

jodijo
03-19-2007, 09:21 AM
I know that the DL ride is called Soarin' over California.I don't see them changing that movie. I am not sure if they dropped the CA in the title of the ride at WDW. If they did, then I hope they change the movie to make it more WDW appropriate.

LudwigVonDrake
03-19-2007, 12:24 PM
My suggestion would be to make a film that features all the countries in the World Showcase. A nice Epcot tie-in :mickey3:

Crow
03-19-2007, 12:47 PM
actually how about a film flying over WS AND flying over those actual countries? that would b awesome but too exp methinks for a short movie. but mayb they could use the clips in the films they show in the countries too.

2Epcot
03-19-2007, 01:34 PM
A Soarin' movie that toured famous locations around the world would be more appropriate for Epcot. I hope they one day change it to that type of film.

Tigerlilly
03-19-2007, 02:07 PM
I hate hate hate the idea that its the exact same movie. I have not yet been on Soarin' and I look forward to it but On the east coast, why do we want to soar over California? I mean how much more could it have really cost them in the grand scheme of things to use a different movie??

big blue and hairy
03-19-2007, 03:43 PM
Well, the original idea was that Soarin' was a present from Disneyland to WDW for the "Happiest Celebration". That's why the movie was the same. At that time, though I heard that the intention was to change the movie to a more "around the world" movie. I just want to know if anyone knows if the movie is being shot now, or any other details on when to expect it.

Mufasa
03-19-2007, 03:44 PM
I mean how much more could it have really cost them in the grand scheme of things to use a different movie??

It's not really a question so much of cost, but of the time and logistical challenges that go into producing a project like Soarin'.

The current film was around 2 years in production for about 5 minutes of final film footage. A lot of time was spent just scouting locations for the film- I want to say that around 35 locations around the state of California were identified as potential filming sites and there actually were some additional shots of Death Valley and Mt. Whitney among the locations that were cut from the final film due to time constraints pretty late in the process.

A huge challenge in filming Soarin' was obtaining the necessary permission to shoot in some locations. Yosemite National Park was difficult for the producers because the Department of the Interior only granted the film crew a 4 hour window on a specific date for filming in the park. The filming had to take place on that day at that particular time, regardless of the weather and it took months to negotiate that 4 hour window.

Filming off the Monterey coast- that was over a year of planning to get the proper permits since the location is a protected marine sanctuary.

Once the film is finished you still have the process of programming the ride system to match the visuals which was not easy- it took some experimentation to determine the best approach for what should be done as far as the motion of the ride vehicles themselves (Soarin' handles two types of motion- heave which is up and down motion and the forward and backward pitch of the seats)- it's a careful, fine tweaking and programming process so we give the illusion of flight without making people sick from conflicting information between what they see and what they feel.

HndrdPrcnt
03-19-2007, 03:52 PM
I'd say that they should keep the Soarin' film (at lest for a few more years) and focus that energy in making a new film for Star Tours. How many times can one get on a flight to the moon of Endor?? PLEASE offer a 2nd location at least!!

Mufasa
03-19-2007, 04:16 PM
but mayb they could use the clips in the films they show in the countries too.

It is unfortunately not as simple as just taking any film and projecting it onto a domed surface like the one used in Soarin'.

Basically the camera capture system and projection system used in Soarin' allow the images to be projected in a way that the line of sight of the viewer matches as closely as possible the original position of the camera without introducing image distortion which destroys the illusion of realistically flying over a scene.

The challenge here is that on a curved screen surface- finding a way to project the image back so if for example you're flying over the top of a building and looking down then you should see the building appear square or rectangular and not necessarily be able to see the sides of the building or the building appear bowed out or curved which would destroy the illusion- so the camera filming system and projection system are matched in a way that what is captured appears to the viewer as being realistic (without needing to be manipulated later in a computer and corrected).

I should note though that the director of photography on Soarin'- J. Barry Herron also served as the cinematographer on O' Canada at Epcot.

mcjaco
03-19-2007, 04:41 PM
Considering it's taken 25 years for them to start to film a new movie for Canada, I doubt there will much of talk of a new film for Soarin' in the near future.

For one, Soarin' is still too big a of a draw right now. Epcot has a lot more pressing issues that need to be taken care of right now!

John
03-19-2007, 07:00 PM
Excellent information as always Mufasa - and really cool detail of how complex the ride is when you put together all its components!

Great to see you back round these parts!

:mickey:

Ian
03-19-2007, 07:21 PM
Excellent information as always Mufasa - and really cool detail of how complex the ride is when you put together all its components!

:mickey:I was thinking the exact same thing!

Anyway my two cents ... there are about 1,000 things I'd rather see them spend money on than a new movie for Soarin' which is, in my humble opinion, one of the top five attractions on property as is.

As someone already mentioned, how about a new movie for Star Tours (or better yet a whole new attraction in that space) or something more in World Showcase, or something more for Animal Kingdom ...

To me Soarin' is absolutely fine in its current state. In fact, I was totally against the use of the original film in the Florida attraction and now I slap my forehead every time I think of those stupid posts I had on this subject.

The current film is incredible ... the soundtrack is incredible ... the whole attraction is flat-out incredible. Don't change a thing, Mufasa.

Crow
03-19-2007, 09:41 PM
true they could use the $$ and time for other things....new movies on Star Tours, etc and some rehabs. and Soarin does have lines
thanks for info on how movies happen!

Melanie
03-20-2007, 01:05 AM
Leave it alone!!!

firefan43
03-20-2007, 09:35 AM
I would like to see Soarin over Chicago. Bunches of people standing around eating Maxwell Street Polish Sasssage, and have the smell of the south side near Cary, IN waft into the theatre. mmmmm. :D

Brer Goofy
03-20-2007, 07:38 PM
Though I think a better link between Soarin' and WDW would be nice, I agree that it does not need a new film anytime soon. In fact, if I made a list of all the things in Epcot alone that needed more time and money pumped into them, Soarin' would not only be near the bottom--it would be dead last. It is a fantastic addition to the park in almost every way I can imagine. The rest of Epcot sorely needs the money and attention a new Soarin' film would cost.

But! If Soarin' were to be updated, the new film should not simply be a tour of world landmarks to tie in with World Showcase--that, after all, is what World Showcase is for. Rather, it should be used to strengthen the identity of The Land itself. The queue does a great job already--though it's not a particularly beautifully themed area, the images of the world's climates and the sobering facts that accompany them are consistent with the rest of the pavilion and really help you to think about what you've learned during your time in The Land.

Accordingly, a new film should show us the stunning areas of the world we most need to preserve--the rainforests, the ice caps, the mountains, etc. We should also soar over scenes of people using the land wisely and unobtrusively--from small farmers in Asia and Africa to people engaging in eco-friendly leisure activities, like the rafters and skiiers in the current film. Soarin' should ideally be the fun and breathtaking cherry topping off a pavilion that forces you to put yourself in the context of the environment.

But as I said, this really isn't necessary at the moment. Not only is Soarin' a beautiful attraction as it is, but The Land (despite its less-than-Epcotesque food court look) is currently, I believe, the park's most successful pavilion in terms of remaining true to its message. More thought and money should be put into ways to strengthen the messages of attractions like Mission: Space and Test Track, both of which leave much to be desired theme-wise when compared to the previous tenants of their respective pavilions.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
03-20-2007, 07:58 PM
I hope they don't change it, at least for now. We love Soarin just as it is. :thumbsup:

KathyMO
03-20-2007, 10:06 PM

:mickey:

:ditto:

Kathy :mickey:

McLiberal8
03-20-2007, 10:55 PM
I would love to see a new video, especially highlighting places from all over, but I agree that it isn't the best place for money to be going right now.
I do, however, think that Disney should explain more that Soarin' is a California attraction. Half of the visitors I talk to (common Joes, not Disney freaks like all of us!) don't even know that you are flying over California locations on Soarin'! The only thing they have that even lets you know where you are 'flying' over is that screensaver-type video before you get on. Why not have the queue talking about the ecological advances that the state of California is making precidents in? Or maybe highlight facts and trivia on the places you are about to soar over? I just don't think there is enough story or direction on Soarin'...

NotaGeek
03-20-2007, 11:25 PM
Mufasa is cool! :balloon:

rsumrall
03-21-2007, 12:00 AM
#1 - Soarin' doesn't need changing; it is one of the better rides in all of WDW.

#2 - Disney will not quickly pour so much money into redoing a ride that is fabulously successful so soon after its opening.

#3 - Disney purists (most of us on this board) would be outraged if they changed it. It's called the "Mr. Toad Principle."

big blue and hairy
03-21-2007, 06:46 AM
Disney purists (most of us on this board) would be outraged if they changed it. It's called the "Mr. Toad Principle."

Except for the fact that according to the scuttlebutt when Soarin' was coming to Epcot, the original plan was to use the California film initially as part of the gift from Disneyland, and then change the film to more of a world view. Look at the posters in the que. My prediction is, that reflects the next Soarin' film.

MissT
03-21-2007, 08:10 AM
I like it just the way it is.;)

TinyTink
03-26-2007, 01:52 AM
I like it just the way it is also, but as someone mentioned, I always wondered why the 'questions' on the screens in the queue were not solely about California and why it was just called Soarin' as oppossed to Soarin' over California like its DL counterpart. Sounds like they did leave it open for changes in the future. Though I think its just fabulous as is, I am curious to see what it would be like with an 'around the world' film.

Dakota Rose
03-29-2007, 04:14 PM
I agree with HndrdPrcnt. They should update Star Tours before changing Soarin'.

big blue and hairy
03-29-2007, 04:36 PM
How many times can one get on a flight to the moon of Endor??

Weeeeeellllll....have you gotten there yet? ;)

Crow
03-29-2007, 09:48 PM
Except for the fact that according to the scuttlebutt when Soarin' was coming to Epcot, the original plan was to use the California film initially as part of the gift from Disneyland, and then change the film to more of a world view. Look at the posters in the que. My prediction is, that reflects the next Soarin' film.

True...but in part
i wouldnt mind updating the movies in WS...they need it.
Walt wanted Epcot to reflect change didnt he?
Carousel of Progress reflects change.
change doesnt have to mean closing a ride.
and Soaring being added to Epcot in the first place was a change.
I like Soaring...as long as it attracts a line they probably wont change it. but it should change sometime to reflect the world.
i love WS just because it shows the diff countries, mayb not accurately but i couldnt afford to go to all those countries for real

McLiberal8
03-29-2007, 11:24 PM
Adressing the changing to movies in WS:

I have read that these videos are funded and created by the specific country representatives; Disney has no control over the updating or change of any of the WS rides or videos.

Can anyone confirm?

JPL
03-30-2007, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the Info Mufasa always great to hear from you :thumbsup: